Author Topic: Getting back into the game...  (Read 3728 times)

R4360

• Corporal
Getting back into the game...
« on: 31 May 2016, 16:28:55 »
Thanks to Alpha Strike, I'm getting back into the game after 15 year hiatus. My stuff's been in storage, but it seems to have held up fairly well. The hills I made myself back in the late 90s/early oughts out of a mix of corning rigid pink insulation and scavenged styrofoam. They were shaped with a hot knife, then painted & flocked. The tree templates were cut out of plastistruct (or in one instance, thin cardboard), then painted. I glued on Woodland Scenics trees then flocked to match the hills.  I made all the tree templates as light woods, and put some other trees on large fender washers I could use to convert them to heavy as needed.  The rocks are all Woodland Scenics model railway molds that I filled with Alumilite resin then painted, so they're very durable.  I've got some nicks on the various hill parts I need to patch & paint, but that's it.

I think I'll try either making some new hills, or possibly ordering an unpainted, unflocked set of GeoHex then putting something like this one it to make it stronger: http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Wire-Foam-Factory-Exterior/dp/B00EOSNEAM/ref=cm_wl_huc_item

My buildings didn't survive nearly as well as my terrain, so I've sourced some new ones from GameCraft Miniatures from their 6mm card stock line:

I have to say, so far I'm impressed. They go together fast, and have no problem supporting the weight of several mechs.  I've got more on order.

It's been a long time, but I'm glad to be back.
« Last Edit: 12 September 2016, 08:08:04 by R4360 »

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Getting back into the game...
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2016, 17:39:42 »
Looks like you have a great setup.  Looking forward to seeing any battle reports of your future games! :D

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 01 June 2016, 02:49:50 »
I spy -
a glorious Unseen Marauder IIC  !

You don't see those on the table much anymore .   O0

I like those buildings .

I'd just hit them with a VERY light spray of a matt white
or even a cheap a gray primer .
If their card stock I'd put multiple really light layers to prevent
warping .
Maybe  dry brush a dark gray or black on the roof .
If you feel like getting fancier - you can buy sheets of tinted
clear plastic pretty cheap . Paint up the exterior then glue in a sheet
of the stuff and it looks surprisingly good on similar buildings .

I think with a little touch up those buildings would be great .

R4360

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 01 June 2016, 06:01:03 »
The manufacturer recommends sealing them with a sandable lacquer sealer after assembly, then using wood filler on the seams to conceal the joints. Then you can sand down the joints (very lightly) as needed, hit it with more sealer then prime & paint as you like. So that's the plan. I've got some spray sealer on order, and I've also gotten some textured spray paint to try on 'em as well.

R4360

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 11 June 2016, 12:45:53 »
so I'm making progress with my GameCraft buildings. Here's some pics:

Joints on the first 8 buildings have been filled & sanded. Now they need more sealer, primer & paint.

This is one of the more complex buildings from my second order. It's an apartment building with balconies on one side. Getting all the trim parts aligned is a little tricky (and I didn't quite make it), but overall I'm quite pleased at how it turned out. I learned a lot during assembly, which should make the second one I have go together that much easier.

Here's 13 buildings out of my second order all assembled and ready for sealer & filler. Then on to primer & paint. That's not quite half of them. Thankfully these go together pretty fast even for the more complex models so I should have them all assembled by next weekend.

shadhawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: 11 June 2016, 18:26:52 »
welcome back to tabletop BT  O0  8)

like the city you have building  8)

if you keep them the way they are they make for a great looking abandon city

R4360

• Corporal
« Reply #6 on: 13 June 2016, 09:28:57 »
Got some color on some of my GameCraft Miniatures buildings today. I sprayed them with a textured Rust-o-leum paint and it turned out pretty well. The texture does an excellent job of hiding the seams. Not sure I like the color, though. But that can be fixed now that the texture is on.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #7 on: 13 June 2016, 14:22:14 »
I also know you can get a darker texture.  Are you painting or staining the texture?  You said GameCraft?  do you have a link?  I have seen the ones from Burned in Designs which are in scale if you use the right ones.

How does it scale next to BA?  Are you going to put a film over the windows?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

R4360

• Corporal
« Reply #8 on: 13 June 2016, 15:58:53 »
I'm going to let these rest for a few days and see how the color grows on me before I make any changes. If I decide to do it, then it'll be a simple spray job with some flat grey paint, which will leave the textured finish intact just change the color.

The miniatures are from GameCraft, their 6mm range is listed here: http://gcmini.mybigcommerce.com/6mm/.  These particular kits are made from matboard, and all the 6mm kits in that range are here: http://gcmini.mybigcommerce.com/matboard/. Watch the video at the top of the page, it's full of good information on working with matboard kits.

The buildings I have painted so far came from these kits: http://gcmini.mybigcommerce.com/6mm-tall-city-buildings-matboard-285css031-1/ and http://gcmini.mybigcommerce.com/6mm-tall-city-buildings-matboard-285css031/

I do plan on putting some clear blue film inside to simulate windows once I'm certain I'm done with all paintwork on them. I haven't got any battlearmor available to take pictures, with, unfortunately.

Register