Author Topic: "Big Ben" 3D Puzzle (big images)  (Read 2722 times)

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
"Big Ben" 3D Puzzle (big images)
« on: 18 July 2016, 12:15:25 »
Okay, so this was £3.79 at a local garden centre, and I've been eyeing it for a while:

Came in about twelve parts and slotted together reasonably well. The only bits that gave me trouble were the four embellishments at the base of the tower; they kept popping out, so I took a glue-stick to them and stuck them in place. That aside, it didn't take very long to assemble and the instructions were clear and to the point. I do with it had come in a few more pieces so I could have presented it with 'battle damage', but I'm sure it'd be easy for anyone handy with a knife or dremel-tool could probably add a few touches here and there.

In fact, given the extra thickens around the clock-faces:

A determined enough modder could easily get some cheap watches and turn it into a working clock-tower for that added realism. Just don't ask me how to add the chiming of the bell...
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

Charlemagne

• Master Sergeant
  • Honor is Bulletproof
Re: "Big Ben" 3D Puzzle (big images)
« Reply #1 on: 21 July 2016, 21:55:08 »
Just don't ask me how to add the chiming of the bell...

Insert a small speaker as found at many dollar stores, and have an mp3 player ready to go with AC/DC's Hell's Bells intro :)
Honor is Bulletproof

Kret69

• Warrant Officer
    • Solaris7 - Polish Battletech Community
Re: "Big Ben" 3D Puzzle (big images)
« Reply #2 on: 28 July 2016, 06:59:56 »
Great stuff.

I still have problems with mine however - how to remove these white edges? I could try to paint them but they are still there. Putty will melt the foam.

Small clock should work fine and the sounds can be generated from any small speaker just as Charlemagne wrote. There are a lot of sound databases in the web to pick from.

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
"Big Ben" 3D Puzzle (big images)
« Reply #3 on: 29 July 2016, 07:38:54 »
I still have problems with mine however - how to remove these white edges? I could try to paint them but they are still there. Putty will melt the foam.
WorkTroll would be the best person to talk to: he has a few of these in his collection.
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

Register