Author Topic: Where Do All The MechWarriors That Start/Join Mercs Come From?  (Read 9270 times)

Kidd

• Major
Re: Where Do All The MechWarriors That Start/Join Mercs Come From?
« Reply #60 on: 29 January 2018, 05:04:56 »
Holy thread necro Batman!

The secondary market seems to consist primarily of personnel leaving House service, horse-trading between regiments, gifts from a lord to his friends or vassals, and groups temporarily adrift after the breakup of their previous unit. [Edit: Also 'Mechs or other assets and services offered in payment, restitution or bribe (which may account for much of what other people would call "sales to mercenaries"). /Edit]
Corporate Mech forces also exist. So it seems that as long as you are influential enough you can do whatever... in keeping with BT neo-feudalism.

Then there's the "tertiary market" ie truly illegal Mechs and spares. Which I expect to be tiny.
In real life, technological progress and peacetime demobilization can result in boneyards full of perfectly usable machines. But in BattleTech, in these particular eras, technology and peace don't line up that way. So when I said "boneyard" I meant a place for cannibalization and scavenging usable parts - not a long-term reserve suitable for reactivation.
Well, why not? We know about the "magic warehouses" phenomenon... and again, as Mechs become more valuable, Successor States would hold a certain number in secret reserve, against the day when they can be one-eyed kings in the land of the blind. Or simply as a strategic "doomsday" reserve.
Royal navy practices aren't directly comparable because an individual crewman can't sail 1/80th of a ship, he can't take 1/80th of a ship with him to his next assignment, he can't repair or maintain or sell his 1/80th of a ship. A 'Mech, in contrast, can be owned and operated by a single person.
Operated, yes. But to support technically a Mechwarrior should still need a crew.

I don't wholly agree with the RN comparison myself, but there are certain similarities - both Age of Sail warships and Mechs would be considered capital military assets by the Govt and they would be somewhat loathe to let a private individual own many of them. (There were also similar numbers - from 400 rated ships in the 1790s to I think about 700 in the 1810s.) Yet at the same time, the Govts did allow some private ownership, by merchants, corporations, and privateers.

Politically, too, the State govt would prevent a Mechwarrior - especially a low-born one - from acquiring too many Mechs. Have a non-noble "ace" suddenly own 5 Mech chasses - ie 5% or more of a Successor State's federal Mech forces? That's too much firepower in the hands of one individual for the Powers That Be to accept.
The "keep what you kill" policy seems to at least be a universal *baseline* among the feudal regiments in liege to the scavenger-society Houses. I agree that cash (or more likely, cash and a mix of parts and other goods) may be a common "buyout" and - as you suggested when you brought up mercenary salvage rights - other parties might have precedence. But how does "the desirability of being a MechWarrior" make a buyout more likely? 'Mechs are scarce, yes, but that fact only tells you that the "have nots" outnumber the "haves." It tells you nothing about how the "haves" distribute ownership amongst themselves.
I was talking about "have nots" who want to be Mechwarriors in service to State militaries. Logically the position should come with cash and other benefits in kind, beyond mere prestige, to make people want to be Mechwarriors. Whereas to simply acquire ownership of another Mech (carcass) may not be perceived to be as valuable, because 1 man can't pilot 2 Mechs. Cash, at the end of the day, is the most fungible of benefits.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #61 on: 29 January 2018, 12:01:47 »
Politically, too, the State govt would prevent a Mechwarrior - especially a low-born one - from acquiring too many Mechs. Have a non-noble "ace" suddenly own 5 Mech chasses - ie 5% or more of a Successor State's federal Mech forces? That's too much firepower in the hands of one individual for the Powers That Be to accept.I was talking about "have nots" who want to be Mechwarriors in service to State militaries. Logically the position should come with cash and other benefits in kind, beyond mere prestige, to make people want to be Mechwarriors. Whereas to simply acquire ownership of another Mech (carcass) may not be perceived to be as valuable, because 1 man can't pilot 2 Mechs. Cash, at the end of the day, is the most fungible of benefits.

A mechwarrior who'd thus distinguished themselves would be likely to be made Baron of some small planet, too, elevating them to nobility.  Grayson Carlyle, for example.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #62 on: 29 January 2018, 12:23:19 »
A mechwarrior who'd thus distinguished themselves would be likely to be made Baron of some small planet, too, elevating them to nobility.  Grayson Carlyle, for example.
A Barony might only consist of a single continent on a small planet, or less land than that.  Basically, it only needs to have sufficient surplus revenue to support the Baron and his military force.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #63 on: 29 January 2018, 13:14:29 »
IF s/he is of the right political mind. On the flipside, anybody espousing anti-establishment views - or simply someone who is "not one of us" - could be quickly bought out rather than elevated. Its neither far-fetched nor far removed from what we see in the corporate world...

Per Handbook House Davion, the lowest noble rank to hold a planetary (ie system) fief or equivalent is a Count. More commonly it would be a Marquess or Duke/Duchess. it is Barons and Knights who get smaller landholds/revenues.

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
« Reply #64 on: 19 March 2018, 13:00:36 »
Well, why not? We know about the "magic warehouses" phenomenon... and again, as Mechs become more valuable, Successor States would hold a certain number in secret reserve, against the day when they can be one-eyed kings in the land of the blind. Or simply as a strategic "doomsday" reserve.

That day is here, and has been for hundreds of years. 'Mechs are needed on the front lines - I understand and agree with having a reserve, but why an inactive reserve instead of an active one?

Politically, too, the State govt would prevent a Mechwarrior - especially a low-born one - from acquiring too many Mechs. Have a non-noble "ace" suddenly own 5 Mech chasses - ie 5% or more of a Successor State's federal Mech forces?
<snip>
the position should come with cash and other benefits in kind, beyond mere prestige, to make people want to be Mechwarriors. Whereas to simply acquire ownership of another Mech (carcass) may not be perceived to be as valuable, because 1 man can't pilot 2 Mechs.

I don't follow your math here. The Federal force is only a single regiment strong? And sure, being awarded a 'Mech would include being placed in a regiment (and attaining whatever benefits are accorded members of that regiment), but remember we're talking feudal: one guy can't pilot 2 'Mechs, but that's what family and friends and loyal lackeys are for. Surely "MechWarrior Families" aren't confined to a single 'Mech per bloodline.
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)