Author Topic: Unpopular rules ideas  (Read 454 times)

Mostro Joe

• Warrant Officer
Unpopular rules ideas
« on: 29 March 2024, 11:15:46 »
I begin saying One rule that Will never be someday, because too unpopular.

The torso locations should be reduced from 3 to 2. Let's Say "shoulders" and "central torso".

This way the hit locations would be less fragmented and It would be less frustrating to hit an enemy. Indeed, with too many hit locations, you see dispersed a lot of the damage inflicted. Less hit locations, more focalized damage, less game lenght, where to seriously damage even a light mech can take forever.

Your unpopular ideas?  :cheesy:
« Last Edit: 30 March 2024, 00:00:01 by Mostro Joe »

Zematus737

• Corporal
Re: Unpopular rules ideas
« Reply #1 on: 29 March 2024, 12:09:24 »
Playing with ACS Capital/Planetary, Atmospheric AND low-altitude maps with Battleforce and ditching the high-altitude map.  The atmospheric interface control roll now taking place from Central Zone into Atmospheric Radar Map periphery.  No cost going down except including the same control roll for dropping over 2 (3 or more) altitudes in a single turn.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 29 March 2024, 12:18:35 »
Asymmetric forces initiative movement order; instead of moving one-for-one then two-for one, (rear loaded, as is currently the baseline)...

movement of two for one until parity is reached on every movement phase regardless of win/loss on initiative. (that is, 2-1 or 1-2, repeat until you have equal numbers, then go 1-for-1.)

Why would this be unpopular? think about the complaints about 'initiative sinking' and what this means for having a larger force on the map.

Basis; Larger forces suffer from more tactical 'friction' or 'inertia' than smaller forces.  this is natural, but not reflected in the standard rules.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

DevianID

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 29 March 2024, 13:21:40 »
Cannonshop, Ive seen a version of that rule called 'frontloaded initiative'.  Its popular for making larger forces less overwhelming in initiative.  My only issue is how the rule plays with casualties.  If we both started with 4 units, and I destroy one of the enemies, now I have an initiative penalty by being forced to move 2 units up front.  My command shouldnt be worse then the enemies, as we both started with 4 units and the enemy is suffering from casualties/loss of cohesion--the unit with damage and who is now outnumbered should be in danger of being over run.

Id love a more in depth setup though, where at the start of the battle command inertia was established.  So a player with 2 lances, versus 1, suffers initiative 'friction' like you said, until they are down to 1 command structure.  Likewise, attaching some unrelated units to a lance, like some militia tanks, would cause tactical friction.  After all, having more unit then your opponent is a huge benefit, so an initiative drawback would make sense--as long as you arnt punished in initiative for defeating your enemy when you both started with the same number of units.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #4 on: 29 March 2024, 16:10:39 »
All I can say here is "see my sig block"... ::)

Mostro Joe

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 30 March 2024, 00:00:25 »
Playing with ACS Capital/Planetary, Atmospheric AND low-altitude maps with Battleforce and ditching the high-altitude map.  The atmospheric interface control roll now taking place from Central Zone into Atmospheric Radar Map periphery.  No cost going down except including the same control roll for dropping over 2 (3 or more) altitudes in a single turn.

It can be done yet, if I'm not wrong.

Mostro Joe

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 30 March 2024, 00:01:00 »
Asymmetric forces initiative movement order; instead of moving one-for-one then two-for one, (rear loaded, as is currently the baseline)...

movement of two for one until parity is reached on every movement phase regardless of win/loss on initiative. (that is, 2-1 or 1-2, repeat until you have equal numbers, then go 1-for-1.)

Why would this be unpopular? think about the complaints about 'initiative sinking' and what this means for having a larger force on the map.

Basis; Larger forces suffer from more tactical 'friction' or 'inertia' than smaller forces.  this is natural, but not reflected in the standard rules.

Actually it seems a good idea, not so unpopular.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #7 on: 30 March 2024, 03:15:25 »
Asymmetric forces initiative movement order;

I always wanted all Assaults to move first, both sides, then all Heavies, then all Mediums, then all Lights. Made lights far more useful as backstabbers. (TO extend, make it infantry, then vehicles, then a/h/m/l, then BA ;) )

I liked the idea so much, it got baked into Leviathans, where it works very nicely, thank you!
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Mostro Joe

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 30 March 2024, 04:27:39 »
I always wanted all Assaults to move first, both sides, then all Heavies, then all Mediums, then all Lights. Made lights far more useful as backstabbers. (TO extend, make it infantry, then vehicles, then a/h/m/l, then BA ;) )

there is something very similar in the Aerotech rules!

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 30 March 2024, 15:11:30 »

SO everyone moves, THEN everyone shoots?  Would it also be in the same order?
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

VanVelding

• Warrant Officer
    • Powered by Indifference, Focused by Caffeine
« Reply #10 on: 30 March 2024, 22:28:34 »
The torso locations should be reduced from 3 to 2. Let's Say "shoulders" and "central torso".
That's reasonable. The targeting rules are a bit onery. Playing Mechwarrior, it's entirely reasonable to target a Griffin's right torso until it's unarmed, but it's hard to simulate that in tabletop. Fewer locations per target arc would make right side shots fall on the right side more reliably, and that's an improvement.

I love slamming damage at a 'mech until you hit the narrow end of the probability curve and something unpredictable happens, but I'd also like good mechwarriors to be able to 'nudge' their shots in.

My unpopular rule is to forgo the cluster table and use pilot die for determining to-hit and hit location for cluster weapons.
Co-host of 17 to 01 and The Beige and The Bold. I also have a dusty old blog about whatever comes to mind vanvelding.blogspot.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 31 March 2024, 01:04:29 »
My unpopular rule is to forgo the cluster table and use pilot die for determining to-hit and hit location for cluster weapons.

Roll 3d6+2, subtract the to-hit number, and that is the result on the Cluster table?

Time-on-Target artillery
You calculate the farthest that the artillery shell can travel (in turns), subtract your current range (in turns), add 1, and that is the maximum shells that can arrive in one turn.  For example, if you were 2 turns away and the artillery had a max range of 7 turns, then your fire pattern would be:
Fire Turn - flight time
X - 7
X+1 - 6
X+2 - 5
X+3 - 4
X+4 - 3
X+5 - 2 (min flight time)
X+6 - (none fired to make my example easier to read/understand, and because the adjustments haven't come in yet)
X+7 - 6 shells arrive

Spotter only has one turn of observation, so instead of getting an adjustment bonus for all 6 shells they only get the bonus for one turn.

Arrow IV loiter
Arrow IV missiles are semi-smart and can be instructed to use a higher trajectory than normal.  Treat this as Time-on-Target.  Disadvantage is that these missiles are nice and bright targets so enemy ASF and AA platforms have a small chance to shoot them down.

Autocannons can be given AoE ammunition, turning them into baby artillery.  Damage is 20% of the Autocannon's base value, FRD.  Range in mapsheets is equal to the autocannon's short range.  As it is AoE damage, this is separate ammo from standard Autocannon ammunition.  But if all you have is a Vedette with its single AC/5 and the pirates are getting too comfy, sometimes you need to put out the go-away mat.

VanVelding

• Warrant Officer