Author Topic: Army Reports 3025: FWLM, DCMS, AFFS, LCAF and CCAF!  (Read 85988 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Army Reports 3025: FWLM, DCMS, AFFS, LCAF and CCAF!
« on: 30 January 2011, 17:02:59 »
A while back, I came to the conclusion that it would be useful to have "transition" products aimed at people who are coming from other games with a more formal organisation - army lists, codexes, that sort of thing. BattleTech is a huge, sprawling universe - one of its main attractions, IMHO - but in all fairness if you're not used to that frredom, if you dont' have access to the mass of back-story and fluff, it can be a bit overwhelming.

Now the free downloads available on this site are amazing resources, but even then, they're also a little overwhelming to someone new to the game. And I've seen a fair number of posts to the effect of "How can I find out a bit more about the (Draconis Combine, Free Worlds League, etc etc)?" or "Which house will suit me and my style of playing best?". So I decided to create something myself to cover this gap. Thus were born the Army Reports.

Basically, they're digests of the 3025-era House Books. They give a brief summary of each state and its leader, their interstellar relations, and then their military, along with a map of the realm produced by forum member Blacknova. The information is all taken from canon sources - I kept the editing to an absolute minimum, and supplemented lightly from other sources like the Field Manuals or scenario books where appropriate. Then, they provide highlights of ten notable - or representative - regiments, including unit mottos and paint schemes, along with beautiful pictures of CamoSpecs minis belonging to some of the units. Finally, they include Random Assignment Tables (RATS) allowing people to quickly "roll up" random representative units, and a larger list covering common & uncommon 'Mechs and vehicles serving in that state's armed forces, all with BV2 point values and a brief section on balancing games using BV2.

Five have been completed so far:

Army Report: Free Worlds League Military, 3025
Army Report: Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery, 3025
Army Report: Armed Forces of the Federated Suns, 3025 (now v1.1!)
Army Report: Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces, 3025 (now v1.2!)
Army Report: Capellan Confederation Armed Forces, 3025 (new!)

Sorry folks - above links are dead, please use these for the moment!
Army Report: Free Worlds League Military, 3025
Army Report: Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery, 3025
Army Report: Armed Forces of the Federated Suns, 3025
Army Report: Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces, 3025
Army Report: Capellan Confederation Armed Forces, 3025

(I'd appreciate if someone tries to access the new links, and let's me know if they're all good now. Thanks!)

Three more are planned: the Periphery, Mercenaries, and ComStar. The series is currently on hold because I need a break ...

Note: these aren't be-all, end-all books. They're introductions. It's unlikely that I'd do 3050 versions - the Field Manuals do a better job in depth, and I do think there are advantages in starting people off in the 3025 era, even if they move on to play 3050s right away.

Anyway, enough of me - please feel free to d/l them, read them, share them freely. I have permission to use the canon material I have as long as it's freely distributed with all the Catalyst registered names & details still on, so by all means share them with your friends, print them out, make them available at games, etc.

Always open to suggestions, within my stated goals, and more than happy to talk about how I did them.

Cheers,

Worktroll
« Last Edit: 25 January 2016, 18:18:56 by worktroll »
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Rainbow 6

• Captain
Re: Army Reports 2035: FWLM, DCMS & AFFS
« Reply #1 on: 30 January 2011, 17:19:06 »
Nice to see these back  :)

Might want to change the date in the title though  ;)

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 30 January 2011, 17:19:56 »
Lysdexic there WT?   ;)

Thanks for the articles though.  Good stuff.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

arcangelS7

• Recruit
Re: Army Reports 3025: FWLM, DCMS & AFFS
« Reply #3 on: 30 January 2011, 21:02:53 »
Excellent work! A near perfect introductory product, but I think it needs just one more little thing: record sheets. Not for every mech in the book (or any of the vehicles), but just for a few of the more common ones in each weight class that are not in the boxed set. That way new player can start building more thematic forces before going to TRO3039.
For Example: add a sheet for the Locust, Wasp, Stinger, Wolverine, Orion, Archer, Thunderbolt, Stalker, and Battlemaster to the Marik book, Locust, Wasp, Shadow Hawk, Griffin, Phoenix Hawk, Crusader, Archer, Stalker and Longbow to the Kurita book, Locust, Wasp, Stinger, Phoenix Hawk, Centurion, Crusader, Archer, Rifleman, Stalker and Victor to the Davion book. Just the mechs in the 6, 7 and 8 rolls that aren't in the intro-set.

Also, would you be able to do a book for Mercenaries? With history for most of the major companies (Wolf Dragoons, Kell Hounds, Eridani Light Horse, Northwind Highlanders, Big MAC, etc.) and either a general mercenary/pirate RAT?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 30 January 2011, 21:29:19 »
Not impossible, but depends on how much time work & Leviathans give me (currently fighting my way to La Paz). Thanks for the kind words!

W.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #5 on: 30 January 2011, 21:55:21 »
Awesome books- nice clear introductions!
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #6 on: 30 January 2011, 22:34:57 »
Great to see this return.
Looking forward to the next two.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

greywolf79

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 31 January 2011, 00:55:29 »
Awesome work!!! I love it. I am sooo looking forward to seeing the rest of the houses done up, and if you do more I am sure they will be great too. I have been needing resources like these for some ideas I have but have been unable to spend the time myself doing it. Thanks!
GreyWolf.

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #8 on: 02 February 2011, 10:17:32 »
...Found you again!  Great books, Worktroll!
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Demos

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 02 February 2011, 10:42:11 »
Great Books!  [notworthy]
Personally I'd like to see the 3025 TO&E for each military. First to see the size of the army as well as the structure of the military (e.g. PDZ in FS, Theater in LC, District in DC, and so on).

Also the section Modifying the BV of a unit (e.g. p. 23 in House Kurita) should be updated to the adjusted Skill improvements (e.g. 1,38 vs. 1,50 for Regular to Veteran).
"WoB - Seekers of Serenity, Protectors of Human Purity, Enforcers of Blake's Will!"

HeirophantX

• Recruit
« Reply #10 on: 02 February 2011, 16:14:28 »
Great books and PERFECT to hand to my son and say "this is what a Kurita Army looks like" in read-in-one-sitting format.  Plus, useful tables!

If, one day you decide to do Liao and Steiner ...

[notworthy]

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 02 February 2011, 16:39:30 »
I'd love to, but work and Levs keep me from having much spare energy ...  :(

O5P_Ghost

• Warrant Officer
  • DR? NSR? Doesn't matter, I'm the one with the HMG!
« Reply #12 on: 03 February 2011, 13:16:11 »
Thank you for reposting these.
User formally known as Snowfire
"Because the Draconis Combine is the greatest, strongest nation-state the universe has ever seen, and it is the destiny of House Kurita to rule over all of humanity. The people of the Federated Suns can accept this or be made to accept it." MapCapellan

wolftech

• Recruit
« Reply #13 on: 03 February 2011, 13:40:55 »
They're cool - I really like these Reports!  [rockon]

Lord Cameron

• Patron Saint of GenCon Goodies
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: 03 February 2011, 14:20:16 »
Agent #395, West Coast CDT Lead

St.George

• Lieutenant
  • there's nowhere to run
« Reply #15 on: 04 February 2011, 04:27:27 »
These kick-ass,,,we bow to your greatness,and wait patiently for the others   [notworthy]
"Smoke em' if ya got em' boys,,,We're goin' in"

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #16 on: 04 February 2011, 14:32:59 »
...Just post start a thread when the next ones are ready.  I'll want it for my collection of fan books.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Lord Cameron

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: 04 February 2011, 19:35:58 »
I'd love to, but work and Levs keep me from having much spare energy ...  :(

WT, there are a few corrections that could be made, should discussions be on this thread, or a new one?

Degman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #18 on: 04 February 2011, 19:39:57 »
Great job  [notworthy] [notworthy]

Can't wait for Liao  ;)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 04 February 2011, 20:34:19 »
WT, there are a few corrections that could be made, should discussions be on this thread, or a new one?

Please feel free to list anything here! However, be aware:
1) I tended to leave the 1980s grammar how it was, with only very minor corrections
2) Matters of fact will be viewed in terms of a 3025 viewpoint; I've tried to keep a balanced view (for example, removing the steaming man-love from the HB:Davion while retaining the flavour).

W.

Drufause

• Master Sergeant
  • We were never here.
« Reply #20 on: 04 February 2011, 22:39:04 »
Yay Army Report
Combat Command Counters Thread
http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=191.0
quote by OgreBattle on 09/08/2011
"Knowledge and social skills usually use separate attributes, and often when you're good at one you take the other as your dump stat."

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 05 February 2011, 03:02:18 »
Just received Blacknova's proofing comments on the text of AR:LCAF ...

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 05 February 2011, 08:25:55 »
Excellent news  [notworthy]

wackrabbit

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • Who wants some, Doc?
« Reply #23 on: 05 February 2011, 08:36:52 »
Just received Blacknova's proofing comments on the text of AR:LCAF ...

Nice, another fine addition to the house book 'lite' series. Keep 'em coming!
If you always do what you've always done, you will always get what you've always got

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #24 on: 05 February 2011, 08:40:33 »
Well done Worktroll. Thank you.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #25 on: 07 February 2011, 11:31:25 »
awesomeness!

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #26 on: 07 February 2011, 11:47:54 »
1) I tended to leave the 1980s grammar how it was, with only very minor corrections
2) Matters of fact will be viewed in terms of a 3025 viewpoint; I've tried to keep a balanced view (for example, removing the steaming man-love from the HB:Davion while retaining the flavour).

W.

Army Report - House Davion 1.0

Pg 18, 1st paragraph
The following rules are optional, and may be used when creating House Kurita-themed units for the 3025 era.

Pg 20 - Top of the page
The following units are provided as examples of typical Free Worlds League BattleMech forces in 3025.

Pg 24 - End of the Example paragraph halfway down the second column
... or for a King Crab KGC-0000, which is not available to Marik MechWarriors.

Pg 28 - Where to go from here
Consider changing the Intro Box set graphic to the 25th Anni box set pic
Change the old RS 3039 graphic to that of the new 3039u.

Thanks again for sharing!

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #27 on: 07 February 2011, 17:30:34 »
Many thanks, Sartris - AR:AFFS v1.1 now posted (see top of thread!)

And AR:LCAF now in its own thread - share and enjoy!

W.

Lord Cameron

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #28 on: 07 February 2011, 23:16:41 »

W.

OK, starting with the FWL (what else  ;D )
Your province listing has incorrect #s of worlds, Oriente does not have 40, Andurien does not have 33 etc etc. Those numbers are actually number of seats. While each independant worls is guaranteed one seat in Parliament, the major worlds have many seats per world. Andurien should have just 12 worlds, and Oriente 15.  ;)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
Re: Army Reports 3025: FWLM, DCMS, AFFS, LCAF and CCAF!
« Reply #29 on: 22 February 2011, 18:35:36 »
And now, 5 for 5! Share and enjoy.

W.