Author Topic: So Carls Jr  (Read 15793 times)

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
Re: So Carls Jr
« Reply #30 on: 20 May 2019, 05:15:47 »
Got Americans that come over hear and you can't keep them out of Maccas, they say it tastes sooo much better, they go on about how "Clean" and "Fresh" it tastes compared to the American version and the stores don't reek of grease. Take them to a fairly average Pub for a Counter Meal and they lose their mind having a Flavor Overload.

I think it comes down to food safety laws - the US tends to work on the assumption that something is safe until proven otherwise, while a lot of other countries (including the entire EU) work on something is unsafe until proven safe.  So even though, say McDonalds franchises in Europe buy in most or all of their supplies from the McDonalds Europe corporate entity, they have to prepare their food to meet EU food safety standards, which are more stringent than in the US.  I'd assume Oz works under similar principles.

On US food chains, McDonalds and Burger Monarch are pretty much the only ones to make major inroads into Ireland.  Five Guys showed up a couple of years ago, they have two branches that I know of in Dublin, and one of them got hammered in the food pages of the papers here when it opened.  There's a decent number of home-grown gourmet burger and faux diner type chains, so there might not be much of a market for more to worm their way into.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #31 on: 20 May 2019, 06:38:50 »
Got Americans that come over hear and you can't keep them out of Maccas, they say it tastes sooo much better, they go on about how "Clean" and "Fresh" it tastes compared to the American version and the stores don't reek of grease. Take them to a fairly average Pub for a Counter Meal and they lose their mind having a Flavor Overload.
Yes, it really matters when you use fresh Australian beef, even in the form of a mass produced patty. As a result your Macca's tastes nearly as good as an average pub burger, nearly... Call it 80%.

Over here our Mcds are fairly decent, we have a good country manager who keeps the outlets on their toes, so Mcd is actually the cleanest fast food we have. Which is great cause I like to hang out at the McCafe, and I despise a dirty, greasy outlet.

Drop Bear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: 20 May 2019, 06:56:51 »
In the US an order of McDonald's "Fries" has like 19 Ingredients and I think 6 more things the FDA doesn't count as Ingredients. hear in OZ it's 3, Spuds, Vegetable Oil & Salt.

also we have less GM foods in our supply chain, so our Food tastes like Food not a bland mass market commodity.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #33 on: 20 May 2019, 07:59:25 »
Billy Sims BBQ in Detroit is the equivalent of that.  Best brisket sandwiches around here.

You misspelled Slow's!
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #34 on: 20 May 2019, 08:12:18 »
You misspelled Slow's!

Further out west I'm forced to rely on Famous Dave's. It's... like the Burger King of BBQ. Acceptable when there isn't anything better. The Brisket has declined precipitously though; I only go for their pork and chicken dishes. We had a local Dickey's which a few people I know from the middle states and south said was good. It must have been the franchise because while a few meals were good, most of it was heinous. (And I really didn't like the heated sauce at all.)

I do hope the south still doesn't accept this state of affairs, right? The only true barbecue is the hole-in-the-wall. Northerners still have to live in cities or rely on the chains afaik.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #35 on: 20 May 2019, 08:41:26 »
McD's in the US, especially for the smaller fare like the generic cheesburger?  After a few chews, you can't tell the meat from the bun.

That should tell you all you need to know about the dollar menu.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Ogra_Chief

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #36 on: 20 May 2019, 11:05:14 »
Regarding BBQ in the US, regional taste plays a big part in preparation and taste. There are a lot of chains and restaurants that claim 'Texas BBQ,' but honestly have nothing in common other than the name. It is not Texas BBQ unless a flavored wood is used in preparation, normally mesquite, and uses an actual pit/closed grill. In fact there are a number of of so called chains that use 'Texas' in the name yet are completely unaffiliated with the state. Some locals even fall for the ruse, but I know my BBQ, and only eat at local eateries. Though in their defense many adopt local preparation techniques once they get here or they don't last.

As for Australian beef, it's good meat, I have done a fair bit of traveling and its worth the money. The best steak I ever ate, and I have eaten my share and paid good money as well, was at an Outback in Dubai... of all places; an Australian strip preprared by an African chef... it was amazing. Granted in the UAE a immigrant can be deported for bad service, so food was always good. But, this was an amazing steak and I have had Kobe steak while in Japan, prepared by a master chef. I couldn't stop eating or laughing at the table, everyone thought I was nuts, but they all got burgers; which they said were really good. I was straight-up manical lord... fools.

Anytime I have out-of-towners, I always give them a list of good burger joints and steakhouses to eat at, because the best part of traveling is the food. Texas, steak, burgers and beer; what else is there in life? I get upset with people who travel halfway across the globe and then eat at a McD's... why? Eat at a local place, I always ask a local where's a good steakhouse and a good lunch joint.

That aside best ramen I ever ate was a place called Nama Ramen, local eatery, definition of a whole-in-the-wall/greasy spoon, started by a Japanese immigrant. I spent three years in japan, and the best ramen I have ever eaten is in Texas. Go figure.   
« Last Edit: 20 May 2019, 15:48:24 by Ogra_Chief »
BattleTech @CGL_BattleTech · Jul 17
Harmony Gold no longer has any say in our decisions, however, the original mechs have been redesigned enough to not cause problems.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #37 on: 20 May 2019, 11:50:34 »
I will agree that one needs to at least try out the local cuisine when traveling, even if you’re going to a fast food place, try out something there that they don’t have at home, as they will often have special dishes you can’t get otherwise.

I’ve done that at Canadian KFC’s and Pizza Huts, although I usually took in more regional eating places when I visited, especially if eating with a local. Loved one hole in the wall’s maple-flavored chicken wings.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #38 on: 20 May 2019, 12:37:20 »
Hardee's/Carl's JR a few years ago had one of the best commercials I have seen in a while-

https://youtu.be/eAYWM0iBIC0
Its a hilarious response to what their marketing campaign has been for the past 10 years.  I am still undecided if the guy's beard/hair is real or make up artist.

Surprised I did not see any Checkers, but then again not too many folks from the SE.  Stopped their on the way back from E Tenn last year, first time I went that way with my wife and she was pretty happy with the experience.

Whataburger is swore by in the South b/c even if it is a bit slower than some others, the burger is made at the time you order- so no sitting in a microwave tray like others- and you can get it made a LOT of different ways, even without the seasons stuff.  Different cheeses, jalapenos, regular buns, wheat, Texas toast, tell them how much bacon you want (order it by the slice!), grilled onions, avocado, and a lot more options that I never use.

Lorcan-  we were quite happy with the food we found in Ireland and never were tempted to eat at a 'US' chain so I really cannot compare, she was interested in the advertising differences.  Fast food sort of fills a niche for the spread out nature of a lot of our cities.  I think one of the big flavor differences in a lot of things was the lack of corn syrup- its pretty pervasive here b/c of the corn & sugar lobbies.

dropbear, McD's fries have a LOT of preservatives . . . I am sure most US posters have a story about cleaning out the car as a teenager and finding a McD fry under the seat that had been there for years . . . without changing colors or growing anything.  Cockroaches are going to be eating left over McD's fries after WWIII.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 20 May 2019, 12:43:20 »
I will agree that one needs to at least try out the local cuisine when traveling

When we went to Paris it seemed like half the places were Italian joints....

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #40 on: 20 May 2019, 12:58:37 »

Lol Kit, when we visited Dublin I was hoping to get a European cooking class- nope.  We went to a cooking class in a castle's kitchen and learned some Thai dishes- half the class were locals and half visitors.  So we sat in a Norman era castle kitchen eating Thai food with rustic lighting on a trestle table.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 20 May 2019, 13:50:29 »
Jack in the box used to be awesome because you could get breakfast all day...until McDonald’s started doing the same thing.

Still maintain that the best thing at jack is breakfast at all hours.

If i am going for breakfast all day, i go denny's or waffle house.

It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Garrand

• Warrant Officer
  • "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"
« Reply #42 on: 20 May 2019, 14:56:52 »
Surprised I did not see any Checkers, but then again not too many folks from the SE.  Stopped their on the way back from E Tenn last year, first time I went that way with my wife and she was pretty happy with the experience.

We had a Checkers move in locally several years ago (this is in Eastern PA, Lehigh Valley area if you are familiar...). I went there & was...not impressed. It was ok. Step up from mcDonalds, but there are a lot of places like that around here.

There's also a Dickeys that moved in locally a couple years ago. Been there a couple times & liked it well enough, but the place always looks deserted so I'm not sure how they make money. Also last time I was there (sometime this winter with my GF) I wasn't impressed with the guy behind the counter...

Damon.
Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #43 on: 20 May 2019, 15:07:35 »
Checkers burgers are middle of the road, but they have the seasoned fries and b/c they are from the SE serve the only real beverage- coca cola.
Colt Ward

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #44 on: 20 May 2019, 16:13:26 »
When I visited Latvia, I think I counted more sushi restaurants than anything else...  ;D

In their defense, one of the natives I spoke to said, "Local food?  It's mostly sausage and potato..."

R.Tempest

• Sergeant
« Reply #45 on: 20 May 2019, 20:25:14 »
 Re: A&W. Most of the ones that have opened here (Toronto, Ontario) recently have the frosted mugs. The signage on the coolers says -15 degrees (that`s Celsius of course, so 2 or 3 degrees Fahrenheit). The mugs are cold enough that diet sodas will form a bit of slushy ice. Also agree on the flavor of the Root Beer. Even the Diet Root Beer is good (something I cannot say about any other diet drink other than Coke).
 The burgers are good for fast food, not the best but good enough (personal favorite is the Mozzaburger).

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #46 on: 20 May 2019, 22:14:20 »
Carl's, Jr. Famous Star Meals were a pretty good value, if not quite so healthy to eat all the time. There's been a combo that included a small double cheesburger, spicey chicken sandwich, fries, medium drink and a cookie for five bucks.

Agreed.

Its not great tasting but for $5 the GF and I can split the meal when we are snackish & not too hungry.

I also get coupons for 2 of their thick burgers for $7 and that is a serious burger IMO.

Take them home & add something to them so I don't overpay for crap fries & overpriced soda.

And yes, its sad that people around the world thing McD's is what we consider good burgers,  yuck.   

Every couple of months when I swing into one I have to ask for extra pickles & mustard to cover up the fact that a McD burger tastes like cardboard w/ lard spread on it.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #47 on: 21 May 2019, 00:04:55 »
I don't actually know if anyone really thinks that McDonald's burgers are good, just that they're fast and convenient when you want something to eat and you don't care if it's a charred hockey puck.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #48 on: 21 May 2019, 00:12:39 »
Not many left,  but there's a few A&Ws that still sell the root beer in frosted mugs.

They also used to have a decent cream soda.
I used to work on one that did so. They also served the full breakfast and it was dine-in, it was in Mason, Michigan.

Course, I disliked working there, but the food was good.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #49 on: 21 May 2019, 00:24:56 »
You misspelled Slow's!

Slows isn't fast food bbq, though. 

There's a place on Mack ave called Little Z's.  The owners are from Arkansas and they really know their bbq.  And their brisket plate is off the charts good. 
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #50 on: 21 May 2019, 00:26:19 »
Every couple of months when I swing into one I have to ask for extra pickles & mustard to cover up the fact that a McD burger tastes like cardboard w/ lard spread on it.

The only time i go into Miccy d's, is for their breakfast burrito..

It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #51 on: 21 May 2019, 03:45:44 »
Mcd sausage egg McMuffin is one of the most value for money deals I've seen.

These days people are more aware of other US chains like In-n-out, Shake Shack etc. I personally would like to try a Culver's butterburger.

But IMO fast food chains should never be considered epitome of anything. Give me a mom and pop any time.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #52 on: 21 May 2019, 07:40:10 »
Slows isn't fast food bbq, though. 

Ohhh, gotcha.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #53 on: 21 May 2019, 09:29:13 »
The A&W near where I work is one that shares a building with LJS . . . they USED to have the root beer tap, but it sucks now since they took it out and just routed through the generic fountain machine.  It DOES not taste the same.

We also have a chain here called Braum's, ice cream, fast food, and a small market . . . my wife used to work for them, and its a interesting set up.  They will not build a store further than 300 miles or so from the farm where as much as possible is made.  They used to be different and offered 1/3 pound burgers- so the double was 2/3s- but changed it to the standard quarter-pounders b/c of some regulation in the last five years going into effect- heard all about it, wife worked corporate office like I said.  They are still big burgers, so I do wonder just how much of the weight cooks off compared to other places.  Driving through the town on cinnamon roll days is just CRAZY because you can smell them being made in the factory.  Cookie day is nice, but cinnamon roll day just makes your mouth water.  You can drive through the surrounding area and find cornfields with the company signs, or other crops . . . the processing plant is probably responsible for keeping that little town going.

I have a local burger chain here, not fast food per se but they are fast, that you can order your burger set up (like 15 named burgers) but you can get it upgraded with a quarter pound patty that has bacon mixed in with the beef.  They are all hand made, so its not like it takes longer, but you can go full bore bacon.
Colt Ward

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #54 on: 21 May 2019, 19:37:33 »
I will say I like McDonalds sausage mcmuffin just because it's decent sausage and has a nice chunk of cheese on top, for a dollar.  The english muffin's meh, but it gets the job done when it's cold.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #55 on: 21 May 2019, 20:03:13 »
I will say I like McDonalds sausage mcmuffin just because it's decent sausage and has a nice chunk of cheese on top, for a dollar.  The english muffin's meh, but it gets the job done when it's cold.

Call me crazy, but what I really miss in McDonalds is their pizza. Wasn’t very good, I guess, but I just got a craving for it every so often back when they sold it.

And I love having a McRib every so often.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #56 on: 21 May 2019, 21:05:07 »
Did McDonalds ever offer pizza in the US?  The only time I ever remember seeing it for sale was when my family took a vacation to Canada.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

R.Tempest

• Sergeant
« Reply #57 on: 21 May 2019, 21:11:03 »
I don't actually know if anyone really thinks that McDonald's burgers are good, just that they're fast and convenient when you want something to eat and you don't care if it's a charred hockey puck.

In my ongoing quest for the perfect burger I've come to regard the McDonalds Quarter pounder as the baseline. On a scale of 1 - 10 it's a 3.5. Anything worse you never order again.
« Last Edit: 21 May 2019, 21:15:28 by R.Tempest »

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #58 on: 21 May 2019, 21:17:29 »
That's what I call setting a low bar.   ;)
I have spoken.

R.Tempest

• Sergeant
« Reply #59 on: 21 May 2019, 21:34:48 »
 Scarily, I have had burgers that were worse. I'll also say that back in the early seventies when I was first able to go to a McDonalds the burgers tasted a bit better (or so my memories of 45 years ago say).

Register