Author Topic: What Configuration (if any) Mad Cat did Phelan Encounter?  (Read 1701 times)

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
What Configuration (if any) Mad Cat did Phelan Encounter?
« on: 02 December 2016, 20:28:53 »
In Lethal Heritage, Phelan encounters a Mad Cat that engages him with two large lasers and four medium lasers.  This information is repeated to Myndo Waterly by Anastasius Focht in the next chapter (admist... slightly less realistic theories, admittedly).

The problem I've stumbled across is that this matches no known Mad Cat configuration.  In fact, no Mad Cat configuration has four of any kind of medium laser, let alone four that are all ER versions.  Initially I attributed it to the ER small laser that existed on the Mad Cat Prime at the time of Lethal Heritage's publication, but seeing as that hasn't existed for nearly 20 years it leaves a little bit of a quandary.

I realize the possibility exists for a custom configuration, but I figured I'd put in a question to see whether it's supposed to be a Mad Cat Prime before automatically assuming as much, and it would be fairly odd for no such configuration to be codified in ComStar records if it was the very first Clan 'Mech ComStar ever laid eyes on.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
Re: What Configuration (if any) Mad Cat did Phelan Encounter?
« Reply #1 on: 10 December 2016, 13:47:40 »
Can't definitely say. Only two options, you can choose which for your purposes:

1) Error in the novel (it happens, though 99% of the time, what happens in the fiction overrides rules and stats), and it was a Prime.
2) Custom configuration that we've never seen.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Register