Author Topic: Group Design Challenge: WarShip Arms Race  (Read 193958 times)

Kiviar

• Private
Re: Group Design Challenge: WarShip Arms Race
« Reply #750 on: 23 August 2018, 12:20:23 »
Still, it gives us a mental picture of about how big a 3xNL/55 mount would be.

Yeah but think about the poor schlub who has to spend all day cleaning the space-dust off of them

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #751 on: 23 August 2018, 12:23:40 »
I love that picture!

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #752 on: 23 August 2018, 13:09:52 »
Question:  Space lift for army forces comes from the navy, or from impressed civilian shipping, correct?  May I assume that a paucity of space lift will make it difficult for the army to go conquering (efficiently), and if they are relying on naval space lift, my generals cannot go off conquistador without the navy signing on (unless they are impressing civilian shipping to do so, which again, the navy is rather better at).

Given something that historically happens nowish, could be important.  Obvs I dont know in character ahead of time whats going to happen when the Archon makes an off the cuff comment, but I'm curious as to how it will play out in setting, and if I in my persona as CNO get to say to the army some version of either 'Sure, lets take Promised Land!' or 'Umm, have you CHECKED with the Archon?'

Second Question:  Given any more thought on fractional thrust and decoupled SI?  I'm a fan, personally, cause it makes logical sense.  It would decouple our universe more from the 'standard' BTU, but that Ruibcon may have been crossed when 720 fighters fired 720 Killer Whales and someone put 50MG on a Small Craft to stop them.

Third Question:  Do questions distract from turn processing?  If so, will hold questions until downtime between 'turn published' and 'players have mostly posted their next turn'.

Kiviar

• Private
« Reply #753 on: 23 August 2018, 13:40:43 »
It depends on the state more than anything imo. For example the Federated Suns' March Lords had eminent domain in their territory, and could, for the most part, do whatever they pleased without permission from New Avalon. This changed in the Davion Civil War, but, until then, they had a number of fun things happen because of it. For example the Terran March went to war with the Hegemony and refused all aid until it was too late. This caused the Suns to lose a bunch of worlds (Kentares IV again what a surprise!) for a few centuries.

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #754 on: 23 August 2018, 13:42:45 »
Kentares gives yall more problems....

Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #755 on: 23 August 2018, 15:14:01 »
Question:  Space lift for army forces comes from the navy, or from impressed civilian shipping, correct?  May I assume that a paucity of space lift will make it difficult for the army to go conquering (efficiently), and if they are relying on naval space lift, my generals cannot go off conquistador without the navy signing on (unless they are impressing civilian shipping to do so, which again, the navy is rather better at).

Given something that historically happens nowish, could be important.  Obvs I dont know in character ahead of time whats going to happen when the Archon makes an off the cuff comment, but I'm curious as to how it will play out in setting, and if I in my persona as CNO get to say to the army some version of either 'Sure, lets take Promised Land!' or 'Umm, have you CHECKED with the Archon?'

Second Question:  Given any more thought on fractional thrust and decoupled SI?  I'm a fan, personally, cause it makes logical sense.  It would decouple our universe more from the 'standard' BTU, but that Ruibcon may have been crossed when 720 fighters fired 720 Killer Whales and someone put 50MG on a Small Craft to stop them.

Third Question:  Do questions distract from turn processing?  If so, will hold questions until downtime between 'turn published' and 'players have mostly posted their next turn'.

1) In principle yes. In practice, this is still the pre-HPG era, so communication with central command is very slow. The highest-ranking officer in a sector can easily present the central government with a fait accompli, both through their own actions and by pulling in lower-ranking officers from other branches. So a full general in charge of the ABC sector can order the rear admiral in charge of the naval defences to give him shipping for an attack that was ordered by the capital, and most of the time the rear admiral will go along with it.

2) No need for an answer yet, since all turns are submitted, but I'm leaning towards allowing both(at least, to the nearest 0.1 or something). If someone feels ambitious, please sanity-check the spreadsheet to make sure this works properly. Also, re SI, I saw your comment before that SI can take twice as much damage as armor. Is that right? I don't recall it working that way, I always thought it was 1:1.

3) Sometimes. It takes time to answer, but the interesting discussions are a good part of what keeps me motivated. Gigantic floods of discussion are probably bad for processing speed, but I don't want it to be a wasteland in here either. Moderation is probably best.

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #756 on: 23 August 2018, 15:22:17 »
1) In principle yes. In practice, this is still the pre-HPG era, so communication with central command is very slow. The highest-ranking officer in a sector can easily present the central government with a fait accompli, both through their own actions and by pulling in lower-ranking officers from other branches. So a full general in charge of the ABC sector can order the rear admiral in charge of the naval defences to give him shipping for an attack that was ordered by the capital, and most of the time the rear admiral will go along with it.

2) No need for an answer yet, since all turns are submitted, but I'm leaning towards allowing both(at least, to the nearest 0.1 or something). If someone feels ambitious, please sanity-check the spreadsheet to make sure this works properly. Also, re SI, I saw your comment before that SI can take twice as much damage as armor. Is that right? I don't recall it working that way, I always thought it was 1:1.

3) Sometimes. It takes time to answer, but the interesting discussions are a good part of what keeps me motivated. Gigantic floods of discussion are probably bad for processing speed, but I don't want it to be a wasteland in here either. Moderation is probably best.

1.)  Remind me to check when HPGs and Mobile HPGs become a thing.
2.)  It works fine in the spreadsheet I'm using with some minor cell edits (the thing as a whole is a work of complexity I could never duplicate, but I can figure out where a data value is coming from and change the bounds or allowed input).

2.) (b)  If I may quote the rule book in breif - if the below is a violation, I'll remove or edit it.

Structural Integrity (SI) Damage
When all the armor in a location is destroyed, subtract half the excess damage (round down) from the unit’s SI value. For example, a large laser (Attack Value 8 ) strikes the wing of a fighter.

Only 3 armor boxes remain on the wing, and so 2 points (half the remaining 5 damage points, rounded down) are subtracted from
the fighter’s SI.

Capital-scale weapons inflict ten times as much damage(rounded down) against a unit’s Structural Integrity.
-Total Warfare 238

Now, there may be something somewhere that states that this does NOT apply to capital weapons v. capital SI, and I missed it.  But barring that, Capital Vessels are Aerospace Units, so half the excess damage is applied to SI, as I read it.

3.)  Hmm.  Hard to do.  Points get raised, everyone gets interested, discussion happens, then it gets quiet again.  Maybe we should all write more fluff, or throw aerospace and small craft designs around.  I recall a 'colony founding' small craft in a thread somewhere, may try to find that, because I'm thinking about tasking some ships as colony boats under a 'naval survey' moniker.

Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #757 on: 23 August 2018, 21:41:52 »
Huh. It's even been clarified by errata.

Structural Integrity (SI) Damage (p. 238)
First paragraph, first sentence
When all the armor in a location is destroyed, subtract half the excess damage (round down) from the unit’s SI value.
Change to:
All damage to a unit’s SI value is halved (round down).

Good to know. I will definitely need to keep that in mind, because I thought it was 1:1. (It's a dumb rule from a game design perspective to have two different ratios for numbers that look the same, and I haven't used it thus far, but maybe I should start?)

Re HPGs, in canon the first HPG was constructed in 2629, and the first mobile HPG in 2655.

Re discussion, occasional bursts of conversation are fine. I just need to absent myself from them if it's too much(and I did briefly above - there were a few times I saw a bunch of comments and pushed back replying because I didn't have time). And FWIW, the writing is proceeding, but I seem to have really loaded up on the combat this turn. I'm probably 25-30% done.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #758 on: 23 August 2018, 21:44:51 »
Just a reminder folks:

WE'RE past the HALFway point on this thread...

We might need to consider an out of topic thread or another part 2 thread soon.

Page 26 now...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #759 on: 23 August 2018, 21:58:47 »
When we cap out this thread, I think it might be cool to have a ‘official posts only’ thread (turns, batreps, designs, and in-setting fluff writings) and a ‘discussions’ thread (If small craft can land boarding parties, can my fighter LAM land on an enemy ship and wreck things?  Can in land in a cargo bay?).

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #760 on: 23 August 2018, 22:07:01 »
I really want to see a Fedrat do a Ramming speed on something... there's gotta be one every SW!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
« Reply #761 on: 24 August 2018, 12:35:20 »
Are we playing with the lawn-dart rule (control roll on any in-atmosphere hit as per TW page 249)?  Or with the alternate form in the advanced rules (on avionics, control, or threshold hit per SO page 97)?  This isn't meaningful for deep-space combat, but it makes a dramatic difference for atmospheric operations, design, and doctrine.

More relevant in some ways, I also noticed the 'Targeting Capital Missiles' rules (SO, page 117) which imply any weapon can be made into a point defense weapon at short range at a +5 to hit penalty (= 28% chance of a hit with no other modifiers).  This seems modestly interesting in the sense the large aerospace elements could potentially load up on anti-ASF weapons in independently-targeted bays and repurpose them with some effectiveness towards anti-missile activities.

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #762 on: 24 August 2018, 13:15:25 »
Are we playing with the lawn-dart rule (control roll on any in-atmosphere hit as per TW page 249)?  Or with the alternate form in the advanced rules (on avionics, control, or threshold hit per SO page 97)?  This isn't meaningful for deep-space combat, but it makes a dramatic difference for atmospheric operations, design, and doctrine.

I'm not sure it matters for gameplay at our level, inasmuch as all fighter design is abstracted (though I design my own for fluff reasons).  I will say that experience such far has been that, as we are not burdened by the WEIGHT of rules, only observing their effects in the narrative universe, we tend to play by 'all the optional rules'  I've designed and assumed as if the lawn dart rule was not in effect.  Certainly real world observation of aircraft under fire does not indicate that a spray of machine gun rounds across a wing often sends a B-17 into the ground over Berlin.

More relevant in some ways, I also noticed the 'Targeting Capital Missiles' rules (SO, page 117) which imply any weapon can be made into a point defense weapon at short range at a +5 to hit penalty (= 28% chance of a hit with no other modifiers).  This seems modestly interesting in the sense the large aerospace elements could potentially load up on anti-ASF weapons in independently-targeted bays and repurpose them with some effectiveness towards anti-missile activities.

Hunh.  I missed that entirely.  Good question.  Probably doesn't matter on current designs (we see a lot of machine guns anyway on ASFs, due to the lack of other weapon choices), but could be a good use case those anti-fighter armaments that often dont get to fire in anti fighter mode (as the fighters salvo their missiles from outside AAA range).
« Last Edit: 24 August 2018, 13:53:44 by marcussmythe »

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
« Reply #763 on: 24 August 2018, 13:37:51 »
Thanks, makes sense.   

Particularly when pulse lasers become available, they might make a decent dual-purpose weapon.

Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #764 on: 25 August 2018, 05:14:21 »
Just a reminder folks:

WE'RE past the HALFway point on this thread...

Didn't realize it was capped, but it seems you're right. Good to know. I'll make preparations when we get closer to page 50.

When we cap out this thread, I think it might be cool to have a ‘official posts only’ thread (turns, batreps, designs, and in-setting fluff writings) and a ‘discussions’ thread (If small craft can land boarding parties, can my fighter LAM land on an enemy ship and wreck things?  Can in land in a cargo bay?).

I've sort of been leaning against that, at least so far. Intermingled with links to skip past the discussion seems more natural. Also, a lot easier to keep everyone on the same page - none of us are forum mods, so we can't clean up posts made in the wrong place. But if this is a common wish, I can think about how it might be doable.

I really want to see a Fedrat do a Ramming speed on something... there's gotta be one every SW!

Be a while until we hit 1SW, but ramming is definitely a concept I'm familiar with, and might use when it feels right. I technically have once already - the Rasalhaguers on turn 2 did a ramming attack, though it didn't have any in-game effect.

The canon BT lawn-dart rule is really oppressive, from what I've seen in discussions. I've only ever fought fighters in space, never in atmo, so I haven't used it myself. Definitely it's possible to lose control and auger in, but it's probably a lot less common than in tabletop BT.

Non-PD weapons being used in a PD role is possible, it just hasn't been relevant thus far. Lighter and more accurate ones will do better, naturally - an AC/20 makes a crappy PD mount, but a SPL isn't bad at all. I like the fact that the AC/2 is a dual-purpose weapon, and versions of it that'd be less obsolete sound appealing.

Smegish

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #765 on: 25 August 2018, 06:55:59 »
Just a question: but where are we all around the world? Imagine most of the group is US-based, but here I am downunder having nothing going on in the thread for most of my day, and then waking up to see two pages of stuff go by...

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
« Reply #766 on: 25 August 2018, 07:56:14 »
Just a question: but where are we all around the world? Imagine most of the group is US-based, but here I am downunder having nothing going on in the thread for most of my day, and then waking up to see two pages of stuff go by...
I'm based on the US east coast.

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #767 on: 25 August 2018, 08:18:18 »
US Central

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #768 on: 25 August 2018, 08:22:11 »
Central European Summer Time (CEST)
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #769 on: 25 August 2018, 09:12:19 »

Central Canada.

---

Also, an update: Writing is proceeding, probably 40% done. I can guarantee at least part 1 of the turn(the first 5 years, complete with shocking twist) will be posted by the end of the weekend. I'll try to get the whole thing done, but I may leave part of it unfinished and edit it in later like I did with turn 2.

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
« Reply #770 on: 26 August 2018, 06:32:34 »
2) No need for an answer yet, since all turns are submitted, but I'm leaning towards allowing both(at least, to the nearest 0.1 or something). If someone feels ambitious, please sanity-check the spreadsheet to make sure this works properly.
Related, is it reasonable to put a maneuvering drive with .7 safe/1 max thrust into a space station?  It would obviously simplify the RGW and I don't know an in-game reason to disallow larger drives in space stations or jumpships other than convention, with the Scout violating convention.   (I'm assuming you don't want to change the SI limits for space stations, but if you did, that would obviously have a large impact as well.)

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #771 on: 26 August 2018, 06:43:55 »
Well, one concern I have is if we allow .07 Safe Thrust, why do we not allow say 5 safe thrust and build em as monitors?

It was before you joined, but monitors were discussed and decided against.

Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #772 on: 26 August 2018, 09:02:51 »
I won't be getting part 2 done today, so here's Part 1 to tide you over. I'll post a new comment when part 2 is up.

---

Turn 5: 2390-2399

Previous turn: 2380-2389

Player Turns:
Lyran Commonwealth: Budget $99B.
Free Worlds League: Budget $107B.
Draconis Combine: Budget $114B.
Federated Suns: Budget $100B.
Capellan Confederation: Budget $92B.
Marian Hegemony: Budget $13B.
Taurian Concordat: Budget $12B. (Designs, Budget)

NPC Turns:
Terran Hegemony: Budget $775B.
United Hindu Collective: Budget $24B.
Rim Worlds Republic: Budget $26B.

2390:
In the fall of 2390, the government of the Rim Worlds Republic received some disturbing news from a merchant ship that had been bound for the newly-colonized world of Melville. Instead of the usual radio messages asking for news that a ship visiting a rarely-trafficked world normally got, there was just an ominous silence from the 30,000 settlers. Scans from orbit made it clear why - the main settlements had been burned, and no signs of human life remained. A force sent down to investigate in one of the DropShip's shuttles did turn up a few survivors hiding in the woods. After a brief firefight with the bewildered merchants(where, thankfully, no serious wounds were taken on either side before sanity broke out), their stories made it clear what had happened - piracy. While pirates had long been known to prey on occasional unguarded merchant ships, this was the first time they'd organized enough to attack a whole colony world. While the exact results weren't totally clear form the stories of a few woodsmen, it became clear that even the mountains of bodies in town weren't the entirety of the planet's population, and at least half a dozen DropShips had been involved.

Naturally, Apollo could not leave this atrocity to lie. Despite their usual worries about the dangers of Lyran aggression, three Vittoria-class destroyers were dispatched to investigate along with half a dozen JumpShips, beating the bushes for anything that might indicate a pirate base. Sadly, by the time they arrived the trail had gone frustratingly cold. While the crews were eager to find the perpetrators and rescue any surviving civilians, there was damnably little evidence to go on. It wasn't until a cleanup crew on Melville came across the house of an amateur astronomer and thought to check the records on the computer hooked up to the telescope that the fleet got its break - one of the DropShips was visible on the footage, and the distinctive design allowed the fleet to narrow down what ship it could possibly be.

A ship design firm on Gibbs had designed a passenger-heavy DropShip known as the Blue Riband, which sacrificed almost all fittings for maximal speed and passenger capacity. The crushing nature of Blue Riband voyages made it unappealing to passengers, and only five had been built before production ceased. Investigation of records indicated that three were operating an express route in Lyran space and one had been used in a high-speed crash test by an astonishingly well-funded physics institute, while the fifth was registered to a little-known merchant concern in the Rim Worlds Republic, which offered no scheduled passenger services. With this break, further police work rapidly narrowed their potential base down to a few worlds which had been considered as colonial targets but not actually settled yet, most likely the harsh desert world of Gabenstad. The planet had been visited by the investigating fleet and written off because no human signals were evident, but unknown to the captain involved, the settlement plan for Gabenstad involved mostly underground dwellings, which would naturally mask the signals he was expecting.

After a consolidation of the fleet, the end result was inevitable. The pirates didn't even try to fight a million and a half tons of enraged Navy vessels with their passenger DropShips, instead entering the rather novel plea of "guilty en masse" to piracy charges after shooting their commanding officer and trying to pin responsibility on him. The plea bargain, with each pirate sentenced to thirty years in prison, was officially agreed to by the commander and chief legal officer of the RWR forces. But upon recovering the few thousand remaining Melvillese civilians, and realizing how the pirates had spent the last four months grossly abusing their prisoners, the government of the RWR decided to process the prisoners from military custody into civilian jails in rather unusual fashion. A few dozen pirates at a time were released into the prison system at irregular intervals, and word of their crimes had spread. Unfortunately, the prisoners of the RWR were a brutal sort, by and large, and a shockingly high percentage of those pirates died in prison fights within the first few days of their entry into the system, especially those who had been accused of the most serious personal crimes. Strangely, almost none of those killings were ever solved by Rim Worlds police.

2391:
In response to the Draconis Combine's efforts to "liberate" Utrecht a few years prior, the Lyrans decided to rile up some discontent in Draconis territories as well. And unlike the splintered rebels of Utrecht, it was believed that Rasalhaguer patriots would be much more able to be welded into a unified whole, due to their recent experience sharing a government. They targeted the worlds of New Oslo, New Bergen, and Svelvik, each of which was a single jump from the others and two jumps from Lyran space.

Unfortunately, the Lyran effort to liberate worlds by rebellion proved as ineffective as the Draconis effort had. On New Oslo, the resistance cell that was being used for the operation was thoroughly penetrated by Draconis agents, and all the key players were arrested a few days before the Lyran ships arrived. On New Bergen, the Lyrans did not do the proper homework on the son of the last Rasalhague planetary governor, and so the man they intended as resistance leader turned out to be notoriously corrupt, and a rumoured abuser of women. The planet refused to support him, and support for the Combine actually jumped in post-rebellion opinion polls. On Svelvik, things initially seemed to be going well, but the first journey made by the local resistance leader to the city of Dawnson Bluff ended in tragedy when the inexperienced pilot of his aircraft lost control in a thunderstorm and crashed.

While the Lyrans had arms and naval support in place for the rebels, the complete collapse of the proposed Rasalhague governments meant that there was very little that could be done without simply invading, and no troops had been arranged for such an invasion. As such, the Lyrans slunk back home, in much the same way their Draconis adversaries had five years earlier.

2392:
A trade dispute between the Free Worlds League and the Capellan Commonwealth was heating up in early 2392, and military forces on both sides had begun saber rattling. To deal with the crisis, Allan Marik was appointed to yet another one-year term as Captain-General of the Free Worlds League. On a trip to the frontier to confer with his trade delegation, his DropShip's engines failed during re-entry, and crashed to earth with the loss of all hands.

Suspicion immediately fell on the Capellans for this event, and FWL forces mobilized to issue an ultimatum to Capellan forces in the region. While this was originally resisted by Capellan commanders, once word made it back to Sian, Franco Liao instructed all involved to cooperate with the investigation and prove that the Capellans had nothing to hide. A lengthy investigation turned up no evidence that it had been anything other than a true accident, though dark suspicions remained in the eyes of many Free Worlders. Allan's son Peter was nominated to serve out the balance of Allan's term as Captain-General.

2393:
Brian Cameron's frustration with the Navy had grown in years since his infamous blowup with Admiral Young. While the Vincent project was looking promising, and the first dozen Vincents were under construction, the fleet still seemed to resist his efforts to re-organize it for a more modern style of warfare. As his pressure grew, so did their resentment - career admirals were having their opinions ignored and even mocked by a leader with no military experience, and while most admirals would grudgingly admit that some of Cameron's ideas were reasonable, many of them were tales of ludicrous excess - abandoning almost all existing ship designs, pulling most of the existing fleet in for refit or even mothballing, and building carriers larger than the infamous Walkure were ideas he pushed mightily for, and they were treated as jokes by most of the THN. Likewise, the Terran Army was incensed by his efforts to reduce the Navy's ability to supply their regiments.

A more personable leader than Brian Cameron may have been able to handle these pressures, but he was not the man for the job. Cold, driving, and abrasive, Brian Cameron made many enemies in the upper ranks of the Terran military, and on January 3, 2393, these pressures exploded. During a combat drop exercise in the middle of regularly scheduled maneuvers by First Fleet, several shuttles claimed to be encountering navigational difficulties during their drop. Instead of landing in the snowy Scottish highlands as planned, they fell into the middle of Glasgow, near Cameron Castle. Brian Cameron's guards rushed to react to this sudden maneuver, but they were caught flat-footed by the scale of the attacking forces as a local army regiment joined the battle quickly. The defences of Castle Cameron were substantial, and the defending forces held out for some hours, but over time it became clear that First Fleet was united in support of the coup, and that no substantial army unit was both willing and able to get to the scene of the battle to defend Cameron's regime.

While the public was left with little except confusion and fear, military communications were alive with messages, orders, counter-orders, and denunciations. The leader of the coup was clearly the commander of First Fleet, Admiral Langdon Echohawk, and the vast majority of First Fleet's units were supporting him. The most prominent loyalist was Vice-Admiral André Mtume, in command of Terra's orbital fortifications. The orbital mechanics of the combat had left the two sides at some distance from each other - First Fleet was concentrated over Glasgow, burning their engines to remain stationary above Cameron's head to prevent any interference from loyalists, while due to careful timing Mtume and his fortresses would be far outside weapons range for nearly a day before their orbits coincided.

Echohawk's forces used their time to reduce Castle Cameron's defences, but it was slow work. Unwilling to simply destroy the castle for fear of the public-relations disaster that would ensue if they engaged in orbital bombardment of downtown Glasgow, they were forced to advance slowly with ground and fighter forces. It took more than twelve hours, and nearly a thousand dead between the two sides, before the castle was finally reduced. The final defenders were a squad of bodyguards and Cameron himself, who personally killed no less than three of the rebels before being torn apart by a needler pistol. The exhausted rebels on the ground secured Brian's young son Richard to act as a figurehead, while the fleet prepared to subdue any remaining loyalists.

Mtume, conversely, had been busy trying to gather support with his time. One far-sighted colonel even managed to find Brian's sister Judith Cameron and convince her to head to orbit to provide a loyalist rallying point. And while the fleet's leadership were generally unhappy with Cameron's leadership, the disputes between Cameron and the admirals had not become well-known among the ranking soldiers. First Fleet followed Echohawk, but the land-based fighter forces were far more bewildered by his actions. Mtume, with his strong concentration of force that seemed like it might be able to stand up to the rebels, plus the presence of the obvious heir to Brian's throne, became a rallying point for every loyalist who could fly to orbit. Terra had few military DropShips and small craft assigned to ground bases, but there were over three thousand fighters based on the planetary surface, and unlike the Army units, none lacked for transportation. Nearly all those fighters were in Mtume's bays even before Castle Cameron had been reduced, and over a dozen regiments had surreptitiously sent inquiries to see how they might be able to help the Cameron cause. Mtume also ensured that he had the confidence of his men, and that the stations were concentrated in closer proximity to each other than their normal peacetime deployments.

With the death of Brian Cameron and resistance obviously hardening behind Judith Cameron and Vice-Admiral Mtume, the rebels decided to wait no longer. Fleet bases at Keid, New Earth, and Yorii were all within a single jump of Terra, and Second Fleet and Third Fleet were each two jumps away, making it essential that the rebels had total control of the homeworld before any forces arrived to challenge them. Expecting that word of the rebellion would already have reached them from fleeing merchant ships, they had only a few days before the fleets could clear their respective jump limits and proceed to the Sol system. So, after some time to recover their fighters, the fleet approached Mtume's fortresses and readied for battle.

A few years earlier, the first run of the battle would have been a slashing attack at high speeds, designed to clear the range advantage of the fortresses as quickly as possible, inflict heavy damage with their big guns, and re-assess before returning. However, the sheer abundance of fighters at Mtume's command meant that Echohawk was more worried about fighter salvoes than heavy PPCs, and he didn't want them to have time to re-arm their fighters. Knowing that he had the advantage in both guns and armour, Echohawk advanced slowly and methodically. Wagering that Mtume would equip his fighters primarily for anti-shipping work, he equipped his own with anti-fighter missiles to try to reduce their numerical advantage, and relied on his guns to deal with the stations. Two feint attacks to attempt to bait the loyalist fighters before the fleet entered their range resulted in only scattered exchanges of long-range fire, killing a few fighters on each side. However, First Fleet was rapidly nearing effective range of the gigantic PPC batteries, and so the fighters could feint no more.

Advancing under the covering fire of the few long-range lasers the fleet mounted, the rebel fighters attacked. Over eight hundred Barracudas flew from the fighters, and six hundred more were launched by the missile cruisers of the fleet at extreme range. The loyalist fighters, lumbering under their heavy missile loads, fell behind the stations for missile defence, and the ECM and point defence worked well, killing or drawing off the majority of the launch. Almost three hundred fighters still died to that salvo, but over three thousand remained. The rebels advanced in hopes of triggering a dogfight that might force the loyalists to launch before their optimal range, but Echohawk's hopes here were dashed. The advanced missile launchers in the stations had not been loaded with anti-shipping missiles to thicken up the loyalist salvoes even further. Instead, they were firing Barracudas, and his fighters shook under the hurricane of fire. Twelve hundred anti-fighter missiles were launched in a single salvo, and another twelve hundred spat from the launchers a minute and a half later. Before they could get a third salvo off, Echohawk had lost almost half his force, over five hundred fighters, and the remainder were ordered back to the company of their ships.

The inevitable hurricane of fire took place three minutes later. The heavy PPC batteries of the stations led the attack, and while accuracy at extreme ranges was poor, the sheer weight of fire still took its toll. The first PPC barrage had been targeted at just two of the Cruisers in the lead of the formation, and both were ruined by the fire - Emden blew up instantly, while Niobe lost over half her guns and almost half her crew. The second and third PPC barrages were equally devastating, and as the fleet came closer, the missiles finally launched. Almost five thousand missiles were fired in a single gigantic salvo, and the station launchers went to rapid fire, launching salvoes heavier than the infamous "Kentares salute" every minute. Even with a proper screen of DropShips and small craft, the carnage was appalling - twelve WarShips were destroyed outright or crippled from the first salvo alone.

Loyalist fighters raced forward and attacked the screening units with tenacity, rapidly crushing the fighter and shuttle strength of the rebels, and then setting to work against their DropShips and corvettes. While the light cannons a fighter could mount were individually unable to cause significant damage to a DropShip's hull, there were thousands of them, and they operated like a school of piranha cleaning the flesh from a man's bones - any time a gap was opened, a whole fighter wing would swarm for it, pour in their fire, and another five thousand tons of rebel shipping would disappear. They paid for their victories in blood, as the Barracuda launchers and lasers of the rebel fleet took a heavy toll, but the rebel screen was unable to help the fleet withstand the tremendous missile barrages they were facing. Even as Ancile stations started to die, the carnage caused by their missiles actually increased for a moment from the loss of point defence.

Despite all this carnage, the loyalist fleet was losing its key advantages. Their fighter force was dying - dying hard, but dying - and the range that had protected them from the heavy cannons was closed. The ferryman's toll had been paid, and the rebels began to truly wreak havoc. The lighter autocannons had been firing even before the loyalist missiles started landing, but as the heavier guns began to speak, Ancile after Ancile vanished from the displays as they were turned to debris or vapour. The Ancile was a tough design for its size, but it could not stand for long against heavy cannons, and at the peak of the battle no less than seven stations died within a single minute. The missile fire began to subside, the giant PPCs fell silent, and the fighters ran short on ammunition even for their cannons and needed to break off.

The brutal, close-quarters fighting continued for longer than anyone thought possible. Few on either side had any large-scale view of the fighting, because of the incredible chaos and clutter on their sensors, and everyone saw their own side killing tremendous number of enemies - how could success be anything but inevitable when you and yours were causing so much carnage? Even as Mtume had been killed by a missile hitting the command deck of his station, the loyalists carried on. What ended it in the end was the station that housed Judith Cameron finally being destroyed as she was in the middle of broadcasting orders to the loyalist forces. When her message cut-off mid-word, the realization sunk in that the loyalists had few forces and no claimant to the throne, and surrenders came down rapidly.

As it turned out, Echohawk and his conspirators had less to worry about from the other fleets than anticipated. Third Fleet decided not to leave their base and instead to await word of what had happened, and the leadership of Second Fleet had been almost as disgusted with Cameron as Echohawk himself. Admiral Winton of Second Fleet was rapidly nominated as Chief of Naval Operations for the rebel government, securing the newly crowned Director-General Langdon Echohawk a sufficiently large(and undamaged) fleet to challenge any likely opponents. The lesser fleets had mixed feelings about the transition, but none had the firepower to challenge it.

The coup was eventually known to historians as the Echohawk Putsch, but to the Terran Hegemony Navy it would always be known as Black Sunday. More men and women had died on that day than in any battle the Hegemony had fought in over 200 years, and none could be attributed to any foreign enemy. While official mourning for the losses went out from Echohawk's new government, Navy personnel were strongly discouraged from discussing it too strongly among themselves for many years to come. But in whispers and in memories, most of the men and women on both sides lamented the events of that day for the rest of their lives.

Losses:
Terran Hegemony: 2x Monsoon, 6x Quixote, 3x Aegis, 1x Dart, 7x Cruiser, 3x Lola, 1x Bonaventure, 3x Vigilant, 43x Ancile, 3150 fighter, 473 small craft, 61 DropShip. Repairs totaling $34B.

2394:
Much to everyone's surprise, Paul Davion's most recent illness turned out to actually exist, unlike so many of the psychosomatic maladies that had plagued him. While he was a fairly young man - only 54 - the stress of his position, and the effects of years of unusual medical treatments, had taken a toll. In the end it was a simple flu virus that killed Paul Davion.

Not revealed until years later was the exact method of Paul's death. His health was obviously failing, and he was already asleep for the last time in the evening of January 20th. But he was not yet dead, and his doctor, Bertrand Dawson, wanted to spare him further suffering. He also felt it important that the news of Paul's death and the succession be announced throughout the empire as soon as possible, and several JumpShips were scheduled to leave on commercial command circuits within a few hours. As a result, Dawson secretly injected Paul Davion with extremely high doses of morphine to hasten his passing.

Paul's son Simon was only a teenager, so Paul's sister Marie, an experienced diplomat, took over the reins of the Federated Suns instead. Little public opposition was made to this, but there were dark rumours of the reaction of Etien's widow and children, all of whom were said to resent the fact that Etien's line was being overlooked in the succession yet again.
« Last Edit: 27 August 2018, 04:54:58 by Alsadius »

Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #773 on: 26 August 2018, 09:03:00 »
2395:
The world of Promised Land had only been colonized 50 years prior, but it was rapidly becoming famous throughout the Inner Sphere for its excellent vineyards. After one of their champagnes won Wine of the Year from a prestigious Terran wine magazine, Robert Marsden was heard to express a desire to try some of their wines.

Unfortunately for Marsden, one of the people who heard this was Marshal Reiner Aschenbrener, a noted hawk and opponent of Marsden's focus on peaceful economic development. Using his position as head of the General Staff, Aschenbrener drafted orders to the Lt. Gen. Freya West, commander of the local military district, and an ally in several internal Lyran factional struggles. He ordered her to implement the Archon's orders to invade and seize the planet immediately. West sprung into action quickly - suspecting Marsden's orders may have been "overstated", but eager to finally use her forces in battle, she gathered up ten LCAF regiments, commandeered a substantial number of civilian JumpShips and DropShips, and carried them to Promised Land to expand the Commonwealth.

Due to the hasty and poorly-planned preparations, the Mariks caught wind of the imminent attack. While they had no naval forces in the sector to resist the attack, they managed to rush reinforcing regiments to Promised Land ahead of the Lyran flotilla, and they prepared their defences. However, they were unprepared for the scale of the attack - Promised Land was a minor world, and despite being on the Lyran border it had a garrison of only two regiments under ordinary circumstances. The equivalent of five more were rushed in, but the defenders were still outnumbered in both aerospace and ground forces.

The battle was hard-fought and lasted for two weeks after planetfall, as the Free Worlds units fought bravely and competently. However, the Lyran troops also fought well, with West in particular belying her "social general" reputation and launching several skilled combined-operations attacks on defensive hardpoints. In the end, the Marik numbers were not sufficient, and when a regiment-sized reinforcing flotilla was forced to avoid planetfall by the Lyran aerospace forces, the remaining defenders laid down their arms.

True enough, Marsden's orders had been grossly "misunderstood", and while he publicly praised Aschenbrener and West for their successes, he was privately furious. However, his initial fury was dwarfed by the response when he found out the damage from the battle. Not only had nearly two regiments of Lyran troops been killed or crippled in the fighting, but one of the defensive hardpoints that West had reduced so ably was the Chaffins Vintners facility that had produced the infamous champagne. After three DropShips landed in their vineyard, the ensuing fight had resulted in a vat of brandy being set ablaze by Lyran shells, which destroyed the production facilities and over two years of wine that was in the process of production. When news broke of the attack, Promised Land wine had sold out of stores almost instantly, and was now virtually impossible to find.

In the end, Marsden did get his bottle, bought by Aschenbrener at auction for an extortionate price. Aschenbrener gave the bottle as a retirement gift, to celebrate his allegiance to the Archon as he left military service due to unspecified health concerns. West, who was only following orders, was given a promotion and left to the larger and better-equipped Alexandria Military District. However, her new staff was comprised almost entirely of noted Marsden loyalists, and her appeals to a commander's traditional prerogative to choose her staff fell on deaf ears as the LCAF's Bureau of Personnel had "no other qualified soldiers available for your staff at this time".

2396:
Two of the great leaders of the Inner Sphere left their offices in 2396. Franco Liao, confident that he had established the Confederacy on a strong footing, elected to resign his position as Coordinator in early 2396. As he did not have any children, he was replaced by his more aggressive brother Kurnath. Franco decided to retire to his old homeworld of Liao, but Franco was an old man. After 40 years in power, his health was failing. He only had a few months to enjoy his retirement before the reaper came to visit, and Franco died before the year was out.

Note: It seems that in canon, Franco was only 48 years old in 2396. But given that he and Kurnath both die soon, and neither dies violently, I'm going to amend them to be substantially older. It's not plausible that a 12 year old would be able to take control of the Commonwealth, after all, or even at age ~19 when he did in canon.

Nihongi Kurita had been making enemies ever since he took the throne, with his flighty and carefree approach to governance. By the early 2390s, several groups had formed to try to remove him from the Coordinator's office, whether peacefully or otherwise. Most prominent of these was a group led by Nihongi's son Robert, the heir apparent. However, none of their plans came to fruition - instead, Nihongi's love of horses was what eventually did him in. Riding down a wooded pathway on an icy day, a large branch broke under the weight of the ice near Robert. Upon hearing the loud cracking noise, his horse was spooked and galloped down the road carelessly. The icy footing got the better of the horse, and it lost its footing in a horrible crash, throwing Nihongi head-first into a tree. While he survived for some hours, he never regained consciousness. Robert assumed the role of Coordinator, and immediately set to work at rooting out he slackness and corruption that had taken hold under his father's incompetent tenure.

2397:
The new group of admirals leading the Taurian navy had several very sophisticated theories about the missile-based combat that had become common in Inner Sphere battles, and the relationship between point defence, missile launchers, and fighters. However, what they lacked was a good set of data with which to calibrate their theories. At considerable expense, they managed to launch a few live-fire tests of missile launches to see how they fared against typical point defence installations in a more realistic set of circumstances. While the pinch on the navy's repair budget was substantial, the information gleaned would hopefully help the Navy build more efficient ships going forward.

However, the bickering between different schools of thought began before the first missile was even fired. Commodore Shannon Bream(daughter of the late Vice-Admiral Eugene Bream, who had commanded the fleet in the final stages of the Battle of Taurus 27 years prior) was placed in charge of the testing. However, her choices for the design of the exercise caused several questions among other TCN brass. It was obviously impossible to have human crews aboard the target ships to serve as fire control officers in a live-fire exercise, so Bream had planned to use radio links to a control ship nearby to keep the crews out of the line of fire, but others thought that radio links being damaged in combat would ruin the results. Likewise, she wanted the launches to take place at a range close enough to result in effective concentration of fire, but others believed that long-range fire would remain the norm in most battles and wanted the launch to take place from over twice as far away, at extreme range for typical missiles, and with a more staggered release of launches that was believed to "more accurately represent the low training levels of Federated Suns fighter pilots".

In the end, the new admirals got their way. Bream was removed from command of the exercise, and under Rear Admiral Olivares new assumptions were used instead. Radio links were abandoned, and the number of point-defence guns was doubled instead to compensate for the reduced capacity of automated defences, based on the results of a series of computer simulations. Launches would be staggered over a period of 30 seconds at extreme range, and the automated systems were given full tracking information on the inbound fighters as well as the intended launch order so that they could be guaranteed to be properly functional when the fighters launched.

While the old-guard admirals complained of a whitewash, the new-guard admirals explained why they felt the assumptions to be reasonable, and argued that they were consistent with real-world battle reports from the nations who had used their point-defence installations properly with well-trained crews.

Test #1 was intended as a test of ample point defence against a small attack. Four Marathon-equivalent installations at an ideal angle to the attacking force mounted the equivalent of 240 machine guns, against a launch of 100 missiles. Of the 31 to achieve a successful targeting lock, 29 were shot down by the defending guns. Even with the flimsy construction of the test installations, no serious damage was incurred by the missiles that did hit, as the armor-piercing fuses did not trigger on the light sheet metal of the stations.

Test #2 was intended to be a more "realistic" scenario. 2 Marathon equivalents were used, and due to poorer starting alignment, only a total of 60 machine gun equivalents could be brought to bear. However, these defences were augmented by 12 Crestbreaker small craft(with human crews, as the ship-killer missiles were not expected to pose a threat to the small ships), mounting 648 additional machine guns. A launch of 500 missiles was aimed at this force. Of the 151 missiles to achieve lock, 139 were shot down - the exact kill ratio between stations and small craft was not entirely clear, as many of their guns fired at the same targets, but the official report indicated that the small craft had accounted for "roughly 70% of the total".

Test #3 was intended to be a worst-case scenario, with few defences pitted against very heavy launches. For this, the launching fighters moved to Commodore Bream's originally planned 400 kilometer proximity, to ensure a higher hit percentage (though this did lead to a dissenting report from a commodore known to be quite fond of the newest Taurian ECM systems). Only two Marathon equivalents were used, though again angles were assumed to be in favour of the stations, allowing them the equivalent of 120 machine guns. Against this, a 500 missile launch was again arranged. 384 missiles successfully achieved lock, and the defences shot down 196 of those missiles. The official report took pains to point out that the defensive guns were silenced more quickly by battle damage than they would have been on a true warship or station, and that in a true combat situation defensive fire after the first successful hits should be expected to account for "approximately 100 more missiles" in such a situation.

Test #4 was unplanned, due to the targets from test #1 escaping their expected destruction. Taurian missile stocks were running too low for another full-sized test, so less-resilient training missiles were used instead. Due to the lighter mass of training missiles, 700 missiles could be launched against the four targets(with their 240 machine gun equivalents). However, their inferior seeker heads required the ECM systems on the target to be turned off for the test, and a short-range launch was made at a range of only 100 kilometres. 597 missiles achieved lock, and the guns destroyed 423 of the light training missiles.

While the official report came down strongly in favour of the merits of point defence, reaction among the fleet was more mixed. The report was seen by many as being wildly optimistic, though an enthusiastic minority held out the claim that it actually under-stated the effect of proper defences, since the fighters had not been forced to evade defensive fire and could make their launches more easily. No major changes were made in Taurian doctrine before the turn of the century as a result of these tests, though it was expected that their results would feed into the next generation of ship designs.

2398:
The horrors of repeated invasions that the Capellan Confederation had faced in the 2350s and 2360s were in the past, and the rather ramshackle fleet that had held off the Confederation's enemies had been made strong in the intervening decades of peace. However, to Kurnath Liao, strength existed to be used - it was not enough to defend his worlds, he believed that the Capellans needed to grow. Surrounded by larger realms, the only way to ensure the Confederation could survive in the long term was to guarantee that it had the economic muscle to face those realms head-to-head. With the Free Worlds League distracted by the loss of Promised Land and their desire to recapture it, he expected that they would be the easiest target available to the Confederation.

Basing his plans off the assumption that the FWL had moved the bulk of its fleet north to the Lyran border, the attack was aimed at the south to allow time to advance with comparatively little opposition. The four Qinru Zhe-class raiders were detached for commerce raiding duties in the north, to try to sow chaos and divert forces away from the main thrust. The initial plan was to attack three worlds at a time, but due to a lack of available merchant shipping for the tremendous logistical needs of the campaign, only two could be attacked at a time. The first wave would target Kanata and Deschenes, while the second would attack Hudeiba and Antipolo. Each was covered by a fleet of WarShips, any of which was expected to be sufficient to fight any FWLN fleet that was likely to be in the area.

Kurnath Liao's judgement was correct about the Marik fleet dispositions - one full fleet of six Heracles supported by a single Phalanx was based at Oriente, four jumps from the Capellan attack, but the nearest additional support was at Irian, fully 11 jumps away. The strategic reserve, normally based eight jumps away at Atreus, was deployed to the Lyran sector and would be unable to assist. However, his efforts to distract with commerce raids were rather poorly executed - the intention (to distract, rather than to invade) was clear from the choice of ships, and the raiders were much closer to the fleet base at Irian than the invaders. Rather than advance the forces at Irian to a distant invasion zone, the decision was made to use that fleet to ambush raiders and show the Capellans the potential costs of commerce warfare. Analyzing the reports of various raids, Admiral Kozlow wagered that the planet of Marik would be the next target, and laid a trap at the zenith jump point. The Heracles was a far slower model of ship than the Qinru Zhe, but the Capellan captain had made a habit of jumping in at the standard jump point to reduce wear on his drive coil. The six Heracles spread out around the volume of space that the Capellan would likely use, and waited.

It took a week and a half, and no less than 113 reported mutiny jokes among the crew, but when the raider materialized in the middle of their formation, their patience was rewarded. The CCS Baowei's advanced sensors quickly realized what had happened, and it made for the largest gap in the formation, inwards towards the star, hoping to break from its pursuers and escape to the other side of the hyper limit. However, the fleet's positions had been well chosen, and a substantial engagement with at least one Heracles  - in this case, the Bellerophon - was unavoidable. Despite the Qinru Zhe's advantages in speed and range, she was massively outgunned, and she had no fighters. But all she had to do was survive without excessive engine damage, and her efforts to do so nearly paid off. The cannons on the Bellerophon were powerful, but relatively few hit, and the armour was holding. However, the fighter wings capable of rushing to the scene of the battle in time came in from behind the Baowei, and their missiles struck true. Eight armour-piercing missiles struck the rear of the Qinru Zhe, and she lost half her engine power instantly. No longer capable of escape, and grotesquely outnumbered, her crew abandoned ship and scuttled the Baowei to avoid the ship being turned into a prize.

Unaware of the loss of their raider, the invasion began quite successfully. A few regiments had been rushed forward to assist with the defences of the threatened worlds, but it was rapidly realized that they would be unable to withstand a serious invasion without their own naval support, so they were redirected to Guangzho. One regiment was unaware of this redeployment until too late, though they managed to land on Kanata before the invaders through aggressive use of a pirate point and fought bravely in the planet's defence. Assisted by liberal use of orbital bombardment against any substantial concentrations of Marik forces, Kanata and Deschenes both fell within a week of fighting. The Capellan forces were gathered up (save for substantial occupation forces), and moved on to the second-wave targets.

Once it became clear where the Capellan forces were going, the Free Worlders moved to respond. Word had been passed to the forces at Guangzho that the fleet was coming, and that they were expected at Antipolo within a few days, so the FWLA moved to unify their eight regiments and 408 fighters with the inbound FWLN fleet. They jumped into the system four hours after the fleet was scheduled to arrive, hoping to ensure a clear area to jump into. However, one JumpShip jumped extremely close to a Heracles, and was destroyed by a panicked tactical officer before the fleet realized that they had received unexpected reinforcements. After retrieving the few survivors, the unified Marik fleet under Admiral Tomáš Mašek began heading towards the planet to catch up with the Capellans, who were already halfway there. The planetary defenders elected to go underground to avoid detection until their reinforcements arrived, and so the Capellans landed virtually unopposed. For the three days before the fleets met up, the Capellans had the run of the planet, and no major combat took place.

As the two fleets closed in, they tried to get a sense of each other. The sensor systems on the Liao ships were better, and they were not engaged in a deceleration burn, so Admiral Demetri Dish had a fairly accurate read on his opposition - six Heracles, one Phalanx, and roughly 140 DropShips. Their own fleet of six Bringer of Shots, five Wife's Wrath, and one Quzhujian supported by 53 DropShips, was significantly superior in total armour and was expected to be somewhat stronger in support craft, but it was substantially less well-armed than the Marik fleet due to the relative lack of gunships. As well, the numerous Marik DropShips meant that either they were not actually superior in aerospace assets, or that their four regiments would be badly outnumbered if the troops made planetfall. A plan was hatched to use the superior training of the Capellan fighter pilots to ideal effect. The Capellan units knew where and when the Mariks were going to be, and arranged a fighter strike some four hours ahead of their arrival. This was expected to give the fighters sufficient time to return to their carriers and re-arm before the Marik fleet entered range of the planet. The fighters were entirely equipped with Barracudas to hopefully crush the support craft of the Marik fleet before entering gun range.

Fortunately or unfortunately, the high closing speed gave the FWLN very little time to scramble their fighters before the attack landed, and only roughly half of the Marik fighters made it into space before nearly 2500 missiles flew at them. Their targeting was focused on enemy fighters, despite their relatively few numbers - standard Capellan doctrine was to cripple the enemy's fighter strength, and that was what the elite pilots set out to do. In this, they succeeded quite well despite the best efforts of the defensive firepower - almost 400 FWL fighters were obliterated in a moment, though the return fire from the fleet did account for roughly 250 Capellan fighters even with their skilled evasive maneuvering. The fighters peeled off and began returning to base instead of closing to cannon range, and the Marik fleet elected to let them go instead of splitting the fleet near a concentrated enemy force.

The Liao carriers had to struggle mightily to turn around their fighters in time, and the cramped cargo spaces of the Bringer of Shots carriers meant that there were some difficulties getting the correct anti-shipping missiles loaded, but the carrier crews managed to get all the fighters back into space with a few minutes to spare. As the Marik fleet drew closer at fairly low speeds, the lightly armoured Capellan carriers began falling back behind their comrades and the gunships cleared for battle, and on the Marik side the Phalanx and any unarmed DropShips did the same. The Capellans were surprised to see four hundred additional fighters with the Marik fleet, having assumed that they'd already defeated the bulk of the FWLN fighter strength, but the Barracuda-heavy Capellan doctrine was well equipped to handle this surprise.

As had happened a few times already in this battle, the Capellans moved first. Opening fire at extreme range with their ship-based Barracuda launchers, the Liaos probed the Marik defences - few of their missiles actually landed under those circumstances, but the nature of the defensive fire became clearer to their tactical officers, which allowed for better control of the imminent missile swarm. Conversely, the FWLN launched their fighter-based missiles first, trying to force the Capellans to use up their attack at extreme range. Their gambit worked - the Capellans closed a short distance before launching, but not enough to matter. However, the 1800 ship-killers and 500 Barracudas definitely did matter, even at long range. Almost half the remaining Marik fighters died, but the real damage was done to the three Heracles-class battlecruisers that had been targeted for destruction. The FWLS Menelaus blew up instantly, the FWLS Minos lost most of her right broadside and suffered ugly structural damage, and the FWLS Proteus was pockmarked with damage and lost her command bridge and captain, though the executive officer kept the ship mostly functional. Set against the loss of less than 100 Capellan fighters to the Marik missiles, the balance of the battle had definitely shifted.

Once the hellacious bombardment passed, the FWLN tried to turn things back their way. Their ships were still individually superior, and the broadside cannons of the Heracles fleet worked to show it. Targeting the CCS Quzhujian, since it was the only ship which could escape their pursuit, their big guns began to dismantle the old destroyer. Her armour held for a time, and her structure for even longer, but over three dozen capital guns were aimed at her, and they took their toll quickly. Within minutes, it was a burning wreck no longer capable of serious combat, and the crew was abandoning ship. In that time, however, the Capellan fighters had begun to crush what was left of the Marik support units. Between the swarming fighters and a few secondary guns on the WarShips, the fighter and DropShip support for the Marik fleet nearly evaporated, and the missile tubes on the battlecruisers had been nearly shot dry. And while they had taken many fighters with them, it wasn't nearly enough. Likewise, while the Proteus had much of her armour intact after the missile barrage, it hadn't been enough - she was targeted by the guns on the Wife's Wrath destroyers, and if they were smaller and less numerous than the guns on a Heracles, they were still sufficient to deal out a substantial amount of damage. The Proteus was abandoned by her crew less than two minutes after the Quzhujian.

The capital ships re-targeted, with the FWLN firing at the CCS Hell of an Irate Feline, and the Capellans firing at the FWLS Hermes. The badly damaged Minos was spared the targeting of capital guns - instead, with the fighters freed up to attack capital ships freely, they began to attack the Minos instead. While the Minos had rolled ship to present a fresh broadside to the Capellan destroyers, the gaping wounds on her right side were open to attack by fighters, and the fighters took advantage. The initial wave stripped the few remaining light autocannons from the right flank, and heavy cannon fire thrashed her internals - no single shell was especially damaging by itself, but there were thousands, and they shredded the Minos's guts. Within a few minutes, the supremely accurate fire from the fighters found the main fusion engine of the Minos, and she was no more. In that time the Irate Feline had been battered for what seemed like an eternity, and the Hermes had been hit repeatedly by an especially accurate set of Capellan gunners - both were seriously wounded, but both were still in action.

Admiral Mašek could tell that it was time to depart. His gunners had been underwhelming, he'd lost his best anti-fighter weapons, and his capital ships were rapidly becoming more outnumbered. Without the Quzhujian, however, there was no Capellan ship faster than his own, so he simply had his fleet turn tail and run, screened by what was left of their support forces. It was an audacious decision, with serious risk of engine damage and resulting ship losses, but he had built up some velocity relative to the Capellans, and was at relatively long range. To aid the retreat, his fire shifted to the faster units of the Capellan fleet - the DropShips. Using capital weapons on those lightly armoured(by capital standards) transports was something like using a sledgehammer to crack an egg, but it was effective, and even at long range several were destroyed in short order.

When the fleet disengaged, the various support units frantically tried to escape battle as well. The Marik regiments ran back to their JumpShips, the Capellan fighters ran back to their carriers, and the Capellan DropShips went back to support their regiments. The hidden FWLA defenders attempted to fight the invaders from ambush, but they were quickly pacified, and they surrendered within days. However, the Capellan attack had petered out from the shock of combat - with empty magazines, it would be difficult to resist another attack, and the pacification of four worlds was a heavy task for the invading regiments. While the attack was over, the triumph was not - Admiral Demetri Dish was promoted to Venerable Admiral in honor of his triumph, Andurien now had a substantial defensive cordon, and the Liaos had another victory to buoy the spirits of their populace.

Losses:
Free Worlds League(raiding): 17 fighters. Minor damage to Heracles, $200m repair cost. Civilian losses of 3x JumpShip and 5x DropShip(do not affect naval budget).
Free Worlds League(invasion): 3x Heracles, 26x DropShip, 41x small craft, 831x fighter. Damage to fleet totaling $3B.

Capellan Confederation (raiding): 1x Qinru Zhe, 2x DropShip, 2x small craft
Capellan Confederation (invasion): 9x DropShip, 13x small craft, 834x fighter. Crippling damage to Quzhujian, $5B repair cost. Damage to remainder of fleet totaling $3B.

(Note that you can choose to scrap a unit instead of repairing it if you like. I'll dis-aggregate repair costs like this when scrapping is a plausible choice)

2399:
It wasn't just the Capellan populace who had their spirits buoyed by the (remarkably poorly named) "First Andurien War". Kurnath Liao's faith in the Capellan navy had been raised to impressive heights, so he decided to move against his other natural target - the Federated Suns. Like the Free Worlds League, the Suns had a more powerful navy than the Confederation, but like the Free Worlders, the Suns had its fleet deployed across a wide area of space. Unfortunately for the Capellans, the Davion fleet had analyzed their previous attack, and formulated plans for dealing with it. Rather than contesting the invasion with a local ship detachment, any serious concentration of force would be matched by an equally serious concentration of FedSuns ships. The loss of a few planets to an invading force was unavoidable, but if the fleet needed to remain concentrated to avoid defeat in detail, then those planets could not easily be held. And if the covering fleet could be smashed, the whole invasion would quickly collapse.

The initial targets fell in short order, and the Capellans under Venerable Admiral Dish worked to secure their gains. Meanwhile, Admiral Esteban Sandoval worked to assemble the Davion fleet - much like at Kentares, the units on the Draconis border were too far away to arrive in time, but a fleet of 18 ships was assembled, and it attacked the Capellans at Novaya Zemyla. The Capellans got enough warning from scout JumpShips to consolidate their covering fleet, and their 25 ships worked to defend the invading forces.

The Capellan fleet had almost as many fighters as the entire Davion navy, though even so a few fighter berths were empty from the losses they'd taken at Antipolo. But they had less armour, less firepower, and less speed, so they were reliant upon their fighters for their chance of victory. And while the fighters performed well, they didn't perform well enough - the initial attack was successfully launched at long range, and successfully massacred most of the Davion support units just as Capellan doctrine desired, with admirably few losses. But instead of waiting for the fighters to be recovered, Admiral Sandoval spotted a mistake in their geometry - if he accelerated towards the Capellans, he could force them to choose between abandoning their fighters or accepting a high-speed closing engagement that would give him all the advantages. Unwilling to abandon the nation's whole fighter strength, and reasoning that it gave him a better chance of escape after a defeat than any other form of combat, Venerable Admiral Dish accepted the passing engagement, though he ordered his light carriers to scatter on different vectors to prevent them from being pulverized by the crash of combat.

As with all passing engagements, the fight was short and sharp. Effective range was crossed within no more than thirty second for most weapons, and the fire was dreadfully effective. The bulk of the Davion fire landed on the faster Qinru Zhes and Quzhujians, in hopes of being able to chase down the survivors, and they spread their fire masterfully. Similarly, the Liaos focused on the Galahads, but unlike their enemies, their fire was poorly allocated, and far too many guns were aimed at the FSS Bors - she died, to be sure, but nearly a quarter of the fleet's firepower was used on her debris after she had already blown up. In the end, the ugly disparity in fleet size after the engagement led to the Capellan fleet withdrawing quickly. The ensuing FedSuns counterattack retook all but one of the originally attacked planets by the end of the year, though the three recaptured worlds were badly damaged by the repeated combat.

When Kurnath Liao heard the news of the battle, he was apoplectic. Briefly. An old man, his constitution was not up to the shock of such an unexpected reverse after two months of good reports from the front line, and he suffered a stress-induced heart attack within minutes of hearing the news. Despite being rushed to hospital, he was severely injured by the experience, and passed away within months. His much more pacific daughter Aleisha took over as Chancellor in his place.

Losses:
Federated Suns: 1x Galahad, 25x DropShip, 525x fighter. Damage to Galahad, $8B. Damage to rest of fleet totaling $1B.
Capellan Confederation: 3x Qinru Zhe, 1x Quzhujian, 1x Wife's Wrath, 6x DropShip, 29x small craft, 87x fighter. Damage to fleet totaling $6B.

Research
DC: $1,529m
FS: $69m
CC: $100m
TC: $120m

TH: $3,502m
UHC: $769m
RWR: $1,238m

TOTAL: $7,327m

The winner is the Terran Hegemony, gaining long-range missiles. SRMs are now available to all nations.

Budgets
CC: $96B from conquest
DC: $116B
FS: $101B
FWL: $105B, due to the loss of five planets
LC: $107B, due mostly to post-Marsden growth
MH: $14B
TC: $13B

TH: $770B, due to turmoil from the coup
UHC: $25B
RWR: $28B
« Last Edit: 04 September 2018, 20:07:42 by Alsadius »

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #774 on: 26 August 2018, 10:09:52 »
... well, that was a thing.  Damn.

-tips hat-

Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #775 on: 26 August 2018, 10:29:17 »
Yeah, it was a surprise for sure.

Quote from: My warped imagination
Okay, so I have the big events of the turn plotted out, now let's find some filler.
 -RWR hasn't had an event yet, so let's give them a little pirate action.
- Need to get the LC and DC fighting soon, but I already have enough combat for the round, so let's see if the dice are fond of another uprising.
- (Thing that appears in part 2), that could be fun.
- And...sure, haven't had a Terran event in a while. No idea what to do, though. Let's roll some dice and see how it goes for the Terrans.

1d10 = 1

Well that's not good for them at all. Maybe a coup attempt? Sure, that could happen. Cameron probably pissed off an admiral or two. Let's see how well it goes for the coup.

1d10 = 9

Oh dear. Not a good day for the Camerons at all. Still, their support is pretty deep, they won't just roll over. How well can they defend themselves?

1d10 = 1

:o Well then. Looks like we get a new government. I wonder how ugly the fighting will be?

1d10 = 6

So not a civil war, but a nasty battle. Right. Guess I have even more combat in this turn than I expected.

I was actually stunned. I expected the Camerons to survive it, and even weighted the dice in their favour(anything 4+ on that third roll and there would have been no regime change). I considered bailing on it, but it felt unfair - wacky, destructive idiocy is so much of the Battletech backstory that I need to spread it around somewhat. And we did say butterflies would ensue, even if this is more and bigger butterflies than I banked on.

For what it's worth, the long-run progression of the setting is quite definitely off the railroad at this point. If the TH recovers and manages to put its governance back on stable footing, then the Star League may still happen, but there's no guarantee of that. Two military coups within a century breeds an environment where more are possible. It could wind up being that the history of the Terrans winds up looking more like the Romans in the third century crisis than it does like the Star League trajectory. I will definitely be looking for chances to kick them when they're down, and civil war or even dissolution could happen if the dice are unkind to them.

This was not my original intention, but it could be a lot of fun. After all, I'm basically writing a novel at this point, so what's wrong with having my own plot?

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #776 on: 26 August 2018, 10:54:02 »
If conditons become bad enough in the Hegemony, basic humanity says that the civilians of various worlds deserve protection, and the famously humanitarian government of the Lyran Commonwealth would be willing to shoulder that burden for as many worlds as we can get away with I mean as need it.

Kiviar

• Private
« Reply #777 on: 26 August 2018, 11:12:52 »
the famously humanitarian government of the Lyran Commonwealth would be willing to shoulder that burden for as many worlds as we can get away with I mean as need it.

Not if I liberate the hell out of them first.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #778 on: 26 August 2018, 13:14:54 »
OOC
It is so nice to see that you are all so willing to help out the Hegemony, if their world need your aid :thumbsup:
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #779 on: 26 August 2018, 13:47:51 »
Combat Shuttles on Exercise Get 'Lost', Conduct Coup...

That sounds eerily familiar...