Author Topic: Group Design Challenge: WarShip Arms Race  (Read 194255 times)

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
Re: Group Design Challenge: WarShip Arms Race
« Reply #780 on: 26 August 2018, 14:04:18 »
Just a question: but where are we all around the world? Imagine most of the group is US-based, but here I am downunder having nothing going on in the thread for most of my day, and then waking up to see two pages of stuff go by...

Indianapolis, Indiana USA

I won't be getting part 2 done today, so here's Part 1 to tide you over. I'll post a new comment when part 2 is up.

* groans Part 2 *

Ah, golly shucks... I gotta wait?  :(

Darn Spheroids get all the fun!

TT
* grumbles....   :D*
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Smegish

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #781 on: 26 August 2018, 15:14:41 »
Not like much happened for me either.

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #782 on: 26 August 2018, 15:18:22 »
You didnt have a years budget worth of warships blow up in a revolution, either.  :)aa

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
« Reply #783 on: 26 August 2018, 16:01:47 »
Well, one concern I have is if we allow .07 Safe Thrust, why do we not allow say 5 safe thrust and build em as monitors?

It was before you joined, but monitors were discussed and decided against.
The principle reason would be the SI of a space station.   When you only have SI 1, planning to risk that 1 with a control roll is of deeply questionable as a tactic.

Smegish

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #784 on: 26 August 2018, 16:21:30 »
You didnt have a years budget worth of warships blow up in a revolution, either.  :)aa

True enough. And the Terrans were not the faction I expected to have the coup attempt.... expected either myself or Marik

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #785 on: 26 August 2018, 16:25:48 »
The principle reason would be the SI of a space station.   When you only have SI 1, planning to risk that 1 with a control roll is of deeply questionable as a tactic.

I had totally overlooked that concern.  Anyone who wants to make a control roll with a 100,000 ton space station (or larger) deserves the almost inevitably terrible putcomes.

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
« Reply #786 on: 26 August 2018, 17:02:20 »
The most impressive thing to me here is that 5000 missiles was not enough to win the day---in fact, they only inflicted ~1/2 the damage.  I guess we lack a full understanding of the defensive screen but apparently it was on the order of 500 smallcraft and 60 dropships.  How many MGs on target would that work out to?

Related to dropships, I realize I had been assuming that they are vulnerable to ASF weapons, but they instead appear to be partially (or more) immune.  This brings up the topic of weapon bays: is a dropship immune to damage from it's own weapon bays? In terms of total damage, maybe not, but in terms of per-weapon damage, maybe yes?

Kiviar

• Private
« Reply #787 on: 26 August 2018, 17:08:25 »
True enough. And the Terrans were not the faction I expected to have the coup attempt.... expected either myself or Marik

I had vaguely expected something would go awry with the succession I had this turn. You know, because this is Battletech and everything revolves around the Federated Suns.

It did lead to a funny conversation with Alsadius though.

To paraphrase it:

Alsadius: Wait until you see the letter from Hanse
Kiviar: Oh no, All hail prince Hasek?
Alsadius:   Coordinator Hasek
Kiviar: I can dig it, I'll move the capitol to Kentares IV, and then show those Terrans the might of the Federated Combine!
Kiviar: ... That sounds like I'm selling them farm equipment.
« Last Edit: 26 August 2018, 17:10:08 by Kiviar »

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #788 on: 26 August 2018, 17:34:02 »
The most impressive thing to me here is that 5000 missiles was not enough to win the day---in fact, they only inflicted ~1/2 the damage.  I guess we lack a full understanding of the defensive screen but apparently it was on the order of 500 smallcraft and 60 dropships.  How many MGs on target would that work out to?

Related to dropships, I realize I had been assuming that they are vulnerable to ASF weapons, but they instead appear to be partially (or more) immune.  This brings up the topic of weapon bays: is a dropship immune to damage from it's own weapon bays? In terms of total damage, maybe not, but in terms of per-weapon damage, maybe yes?

Ironically as the guy who built Walkurie, Im headed away from carriers.  The same  balance choices necessary to make an interesting batrep, that allow the basically undefended stock ships and stock defense networks to exist in the face of all-up all-in fighter/missile launches ensures that even a half-hearted investment in defense will remove those missile strikes from a role as a decisive instrument.  To wit... a .5 ton machine gun kills between .5 and 1.5 50 ton missiles.  1:100.  At such odds, it costs (formally) 1% of your weapons tonnage to shoot down all the missiles launched by an opponent of similar throw-weight... and then only if he can put all his missiles in space simultaneously, without even launchers or fighters (and of course he cannot).  A slightly larger invetment, of say 2% of your total weapons fit, will destroy your entire weapon mass in missiles on their worst day/roll.

Now, of course, the necessity if fire control, or dispersal onto small craft or fighters, renders this imperfect.  And 1000xMG LBS/RBS/Nose/Aft implies some inefficiency.  But even so, the core 100:1 is to my mind insurmountable, and future warships will likely carry only defensive fighters as can be managed without an impact on the 2% of weapons fit ideally put aside for AAA/PDS suite.

Worked example.  A generic 15% Warload 150 SI 3/5 ship of 1MT will have 150,000 tons of armament.  3000 tons, or 2% of that, approx 800 tons each on 4 facings.  220 MG massing 1.5 tons each (after fire control) gives a total of 880 machine guns, shooting down 440-1220 ASMs.  A 1MT awalkurie knockoff will launch about  1000 fighters (while being slower and more fragile) and only a small portion will on average make it through to the target.  Barring reload and relaunch, the Walkure are overrun and destroyed while inflicting little damage on their cousins - while same cousins retain 147K of 150K for anti-shipping work.

The above is done in my head from an Iphone, so likely contains many errors, but I hope it explains my reasoning.  Its also possible that as PDS belts spread, under-the-hood improvements in missiles may drastically lower the P(k) of each Machine-gun shot at a missile (as we discussed above) or the GM may look at the point defense paradigm differently (as shown, look-shoot-shoot is massively less efficient than look-shoot-look-shoot).  But Im certainly seeing that the wall for Walkurie may have handwriting on it, and part of the reason for big yard investment is that, in the absence if combat experience, the Lyrans fear to risk bulding ships that are obsolescent, or may be casually rendered so by a trivial investment in defenses.  Yards will remain useful, and allow efficient production of the ‘next thing’ once that reveals itself.

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
« Reply #789 on: 26 August 2018, 18:06:51 »
I'm thinking along similar lines.

I'm guessing the 500 smallcraft + 60 dropships had something like 5000 relevant MGs between them.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #790 on: 26 August 2018, 18:35:08 »
Combat Shuttles on Exercise Get 'Lost', Conduct Coup...

That sounds eerily familiar...
??? ???  okay what am I missing
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #791 on: 26 August 2018, 19:33:13 »

Its similar to a scene where theres a coup against the Peoples Republic of Haven, in one of the Honor Harrington Novels, I THINK.. I dont remember.

Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #792 on: 26 August 2018, 19:37:27 »

There's a few things. One, the fleet was bigger than you might think. I gave First Fleet a third(generally rounding up) of all 2/3 and 4/6 Terran ships except the corvettes, plus a standard load of support craft, which worked out to:
Dart   5 (1 died)
Quixote   14 (6 died)
Monsoon   6 (2 died)
Aegis   4 (3 died)
Cruiser   10 (7 died)
Lola   8 (3 died)
Bonaventure   8 (1 died)
Vigilant   6 (3 died)
DropShip   186 (61 died, though technically a few of those may be loyalist)
Small craft   318 (roughly half died)
Fighter   480 plus carrier DS fighters (over half died)

I assumed that a good chunk of those DS would be carrier-fit, which is why the total fighter force was over a thousand - in principle, 186 DS could carry 2232 fighters, but they need cargo and combat drop DS as well, so I made it about 30% carriers. The THN has a strong focus on light elements as screening units, so I assumed they have more MGs on those screens than most. I haven't worked out the numbers, but if we say for sake of argument that the average fighter carries 2 MG, the average SC carries 6, and the average DS carries 24, that's around 8400 MG in the support fleet. They'll be less effective than 8400 WarShip MGs would be, but they'll still pack a punch.

The second thing is that both sides rolled pretty bad for crew skill. You saw that in a couple ways - the loyalists took a minute and a half between missile volleys(a turn is one minute, so this implies a very poor fire rate), and their hit rate was weak. The rebel crew being weak showed up more in the incredibly slow attack on Castle Cameron(12 hours to crush one battalion, in a coup d'etat? That's abysmal), and in their rather weak fighter work. But in any case, a lot of those missiles missed - it was a long-range shot, and that hurts accuracy even before your crews turn out to be weak.

Three, the damage isn't as low as you might think. 1000 missiles at Kentares killed four ships, with virtually no defensive screen. 5000 missiles at Terra killed 12 ships, through a fairly substantial defensive screen. Also, the ships targeted this time were mostly tougher - a Black Lion has 630 total HP, while a Monsoon has 1177. Most of the heavier ships that died were killed by missiles, because the PPCs did their best work against the screening cruisers in the opening part of the engagement.

Edit: Also, let's look at an Ancile's design mass. 7,200 tons of fighters, 20,400 tons of missile launchers and ammo, and 9,000 tons of PPCs (not counting heat sinks or fire control). Do you feel that I was under-valuing the fighters in that analysis?

DropShips are vulnerable to ASF weapons. They didn't get much fire from capital weapons in the whole fight, and 61 DropShips died. That was entirely fighter cannons at work. A heavy DS can carry about as much armour as a light WS like the Bonaventure or the Kutai, but those can die to fighters too. And the DS has far less SI, so it dies faster when the armour does get breached than a WarShip would.

Ironically as the guy who built Walkurie, Im headed away from carriers.  The same  balance choices necessary to make an interesting batrep, that allow the basically undefended stock ships and stock defense networks to exist in the face of all-up all-in fighter/missile launches ensures that even a half-hearted investment in defense will remove those missile strikes from a role as a decisive instrument.  To wit... a .5 ton machine gun kills between .5 and 1.5 50 ton missiles.  1:100.  At such odds, it costs (formally) 1% of your weapons tonnage to shoot down all the missiles launched by an opponent of similar throw-weight... and then only if he can put all his missiles in space simultaneously, without even launchers or fighters (and of course he cannot).  A slightly larger invetment, of say 2% of your total weapons fit, will destroy your entire weapon mass in missiles on their worst day/roll.

Now, of course, the necessity if fire control, or dispersal onto small craft or fighters, renders this imperfect.  And 1000xMG LBS/RBS/Nose/Aft implies some inefficiency.  But even so, the core 100:1 is to my mind insurmountable, and future warships will likely carry only defensive fighters as can be managed without an impact on the 2% of weapons fit ideally put aside for AAA/PDS suite.

Worked example.  A generic 15% Warload 150 SI 3/5 ship of 1MT will have 150,000 tons of armament.  3000 tons, or 2% of that, approx 800 tons each on 4 facings.  220 MG massing 1.5 tons each (after fire control) gives a total of 880 machine guns, shooting down 440-1220 ASMs.  A 1MT awalkurie knockoff will launch about  1000 fighters (while being slower and more fragile) and only a small portion will on average make it through to the target.  Barring reload and relaunch, the Walkure are overrun and destroyed while inflicting little damage on their cousins - while same cousins retain 147K of 150K for anti-shipping work.

The above is done in my head from an Iphone, so likely contains many errors, but I hope it explains my reasoning.  Its also possible that as PDS belts spread, under-the-hood improvements in missiles may drastically lower the P(k) of each Machine-gun shot at a missile (as we discussed above) or the GM may look at the point defense paradigm differently (as shown, look-shoot-shoot is massively less efficient than look-shoot-look-shoot).  But Im certainly seeing that the wall for Walkurie may have handwriting on it, and part of the reason for big yard investment is that, in the absence if combat experience, the Lyrans fear to risk bulding ships that are obsolescent, or may be casually rendered so by a trivial investment in defenses.  Yards will remain useful, and allow efficient production of the ‘next thing’ once that reveals itself.

My goal is for all sane ship types to be viable, so I want to develop a universe where that's the case. I hope my thumb will not need to go on the scale, but I want to give each unit a role. Maybe I need to put each unit in its element more often - carriers might have poor damage-per-ton ratios in a knife fight, but they have longer range than any other unit. Perhaps I need to show that off more often. Haven't had a carrier-heavy force get a good commander roll in a while, though, so there's been a lack of good opportunities.

Combat Shuttles on Exercise Get 'Lost', Conduct Coup...

That sounds eerily familiar...

I modeled it off a scene in one of the early Honor Harrington novels, which Marcus has also read. (Actually not a coup, though - the coups in Haven used different appraoches, that was the scene where they found the duelist hiding in a cabin on Gryphon).

Likewise, Kiviar caught the not-very-subtle reference in 2394 pretty quickly.
« Last Edit: 26 August 2018, 20:04:55 by Alsadius »

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
« Reply #793 on: 26 August 2018, 21:46:22 »
They'll be less effective than 8400 WarShip MGs would be, but they'll still pack a punch.
Is the relative effectiveness of off-board MGs vs. on-board MGs well known?
Edit: Also, let's look at an Ancile's design mass. 7,200 tons of fighters, 20,400 tons of missile launchers and ammo, and 9,000 tons of PPCs (not counting heat sinks or fire control). Do you feel that I was under-valuing the fighters in that analysis?
I wasn't really commenting on valuations here---it was more of an observation. 

But since you ask...  if they fire at long range, you expect less than half to hit in standard BT, and then perhaps half the total antimissile load is relevant, putting you at 4200MGs.  There's an unknown divisor related to these being offboard MGs.... maybe a factor of 2?  That would put you at the equivalent of 2500 missiles on target vs. 2100MGs, so perhaps as many as a 0 to 1.5K missiles hit doing 0 to 6K capital damage + criticals. Overall, it seems like a reasonable outcome given the decisions made although the fighters could have made other decisions (e.g. firing missiles at a closer range) that might have increased the impact substantially.

Smegish

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #794 on: 27 August 2018, 01:41:43 »
Alsadius: Wait until you see the letter from Hanse
Kiviar: Oh no, All hail prince Hasek?
Alsadius:   Coordinator Hasek
Kiviar: I can dig it, I'll move the capitol to Kentares IV, and then show those Terrans the might of the Federated Combine!
Kiviar: ... That sounds like I'm selling them farm equipment.

No Davion pet shall sit upon the throne of the Combine while a loyal servant of the Dragon draws breath!

Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #795 on: 27 August 2018, 13:37:38 »
Is the relative effectiveness of off-board MGs vs. on-board MGs well known?I wasn't really commenting on valuations here---it was more of an observation. 

But since you ask...  if they fire at long range, you expect less than half to hit in standard BT, and then perhaps half the total antimissile load is relevant, putting you at 4200MGs.  There's an unknown divisor related to these being offboard MGs.... maybe a factor of 2?  That would put you at the equivalent of 2500 missiles on target vs. 2100MGs, so perhaps as many as a 0 to 1.5K missiles hit doing 0 to 6K capital damage + criticals. Overall, it seems like a reasonable outcome given the decisions made although the fighters could have made other decisions (e.g. firing missiles at a closer range) that might have increased the impact substantially.

The ratio has not been specified. TBH, I haven't given it a lot of thought, but I think I will need to think about it in some depth pretty soon.

Also, since I don't think I said this above, I was trying to change the effect of MGs in that last battle. The ratio of shots to hits was similar enough, but there were fewer missiles shot down and more that missed. That will continue going forward. This should both reduce the impact of salvo density and also make a thousand tons of MGs a lot less OP when compared to a thousand tons of missile launchers. 

No Davion pet shall sit upon the throne of the Combine while a loyal servant of the Dragon draws breath!

I suspect the Suns will be happy to deal with that situation for you ;)

Andras

• Lieutenant
« Reply #796 on: 27 August 2018, 18:39:59 »
Are MGs over effective? AIUI,by the numbers/rulebook, it should take 15 to down one Barracuda, 25 for a WS and 35 for a KW. That's rounding up, so it takes 5 more to down each additional missile in the volley. Also, as non-AMS, in addition to only doing half damage, they can only fire once per turn, so the following volleys from different sources on the same target should be not be effected by the same defense system.

1,000 MGs should only be able to down 50 Barracudas (or 25 KW) in a turn, and that's if they are all on the same facing.

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
« Reply #797 on: 27 August 2018, 21:27:35 »
The ratio has not been specified. TBH, I haven't given it a lot of thought, but I think I will need to think about it in some depth pretty soon.
My understanding is that the critical rules changes are:
1) ASF weakened by nerfing-to-zero their weapons vs. heavily armored large craft.
2) ASF strengthened by allowing them to carry capital missiles.
3) MGs strengthened by a factor of 10 to 60 (in expectation) vs. capital missiles to cope with ASF-mounted missile swarms.

It may be that adding a 4th change distinguishing off-board MG from on-board MG addresses the imbalances created by the sequence above, but it sounds like (?) you are weakening (3) already, and that seems simpler and more plausible to me personally.  It's easy to imagine the balance of power shifting in-game over the centuries---there is certainly plenty of room for better missile algorithms with a 50g acceleration profile and maybe some amount of miniaturization allows room for better missile armor. 

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #798 on: 27 August 2018, 21:47:36 »
4.)  The most important change was the one that disallows a single AMS from firing at -every- incoming capital missile.  Everything else kinda follows from that (because it made missiles useless) or from lowering standard scale damage vs capital armor (because otherwise fighters were way, way too good)

Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #799 on: 28 August 2018, 04:57:17 »
Are MGs over effective? AIUI,by the numbers/rulebook, it should take 15 to down one Barracuda, 25 for a WS and 35 for a KW. That's rounding up, so it takes 5 more to down each additional missile in the volley. Also, as non-AMS, in addition to only doing half damage, they can only fire once per turn, so the following volleys from different sources on the same target should be not be effected by the same defense system.

1,000 MGs should only be able to down 50 Barracudas (or 25 KW) in a turn, and that's if they are all on the same facing.

Under canon rules, MG are a joke. They've been vastly more effective in this game than in canon. See here and the discussion on the following pages for the math of how it's worked until now in this game. Lagrange and Marcus also summarize the rule changes fairly accurately - I won't vouch for the ratio of "10 to 60" Lagrange used, because I haven't been thinking in terms of a ratio like that, but they're definitely a lot better.

Smegish

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #800 on: 28 August 2018, 07:04:57 »
The increased effectiveness of the PD is mostly to counter the WAY beyond canon levels of missile tubes and fighters present on some of our ships, to prevent those vessels being OSK machines. Which would lead to everyone building identical ships, and the game gets boring.

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
« Reply #801 on: 28 August 2018, 09:38:09 »
The increased effectiveness of the PD is mostly to counter the WAY beyond canon levels of missile tubes and fighters present on some of our ships, to prevent those vessels being OSK machines. Which would lead to everyone building identical ships, and the game gets boring.
And of these, I think it's the fighters that really matter.
Under canon rules, MG are a joke. 
I'd rate them as 'weak'.  You can stick about 2000MGs in an arc for capital ships before the quadratic growth of FC tonnage starts to really kick in.  That's enough to take out 50-or-so killer whales and can deal with Heimdaller style designs.  The ability to switch over to anti-ASF use adds value as well, and it's easy to give every ASF a 10MG array to contribute to defense.

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #802 on: 28 August 2018, 09:56:15 »
And of these, I think it's the fighters that really matter.

Fighters are the first problem you have to solve.  In the rules as written condition, fighters, and thus fighter carriers, are completely dominant over warships - and all anyone builds is carriers, if their paying any attention.

Id further say that in decades of playing about every space navy game under the sun, fighters are -always- a -huge- rules problem.  I think were doing one of the better jobs I've seen in dealing with the Fighter Problem, but we wont really know until we see, say, 6 Walkuries and 6 Tyrs  fight 6 CAs and 6CEs, where the CEs are just as heavily invested in anti-figure and point defenses as the Walkurie are invested in fighters and missiles.

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
« Reply #803 on: 28 August 2018, 11:52:57 »
Fighters are the first problem you have to solve.  In the rules as written condition, fighters, and thus fighter carriers, are completely dominant over warships - and all anyone builds is carriers, if their paying any attention.
Right (with a few caveats  :) ). 

I think the points I'm making are:
(1) There remains quite a bit of room to improve the number of MGs with on-board MGs limited by quadratic FC weight in the thousands of MGs range.
(2) Despite this, ASF-based missiles scale linearly in allocated tonnage/cost so they remain an overwhelming winning strategy at a sufficiently large scale.
(3) If off-board MGs are effective, this becomes a linear/linear contest where the winner is related to the relative effectiveness of off-board MGs to off-board missiles.

Smegish

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #804 on: 28 August 2018, 16:35:07 »
Quote from: marcussmythe link=topic=61764.msg1441128#msg1441128
Id further say that in decades of playing about every space navy game under the sun, fighters are -always- a -huge- rules problem.  I think were doing one of the better jobs I've seen in dealing with the Fighter Problem, but we wont really know until we see, say, 6 Walkuries and 6 Tyrs  fight 6 CAs and 6CEs, where the CEs are just as heavily invested in anti-figure and point defenses as the Walkurie are invested in fighters and missiles.

The Walkurie/Tyr/Heimdallr vs Atago/Minekaze/Tate fight will be a good test. Does your huge advantage in fighters cancel out my advantages in speed and armour?

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #805 on: 28 August 2018, 16:42:19 »
The Walkurie/Tyr/Heimdallr vs Atago/Minekaze/Tate fight will be a good test. Does your huge advantage in fighters cancel out my advantages in speed and armour?

It'll be interesting.  You've not invested (nearly) as much in PDS as I have in fighters (though far more than the default), and armor values are about to climb rapidly..  so this is kinda the 'as good as it gets' case for fighter/missile doctrine.

Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #806 on: 28 August 2018, 17:01:52 »
Without having plotted such a fight out, I suspect it'll be even more dice-dependent than most. My gut feeling is that If the carriers can get the drop on the gunships and engage out of gun range, it'll probably be a slaughter - not that they'll necessarily kill the whole Drac fleet, but they won't lose any heavy units if the range never closes. Ditto if the fighters can kill most of the DC fleet in the first salvo, regardless of range. But if the gunships can survive that strike without too many losses and get in close, it'll be a slaughter the other way - the carriers can't turn over fighters nearly quickly enough to get a second full-sized strike off in less than a few hours, and the Lyran ships are too slow to flee. The Tyrs had better be able to take a beating, because they will be the target of every gun in the Drac fleet. (It'll be largely the same in a LC/FWL fight, I'd wager)

Also, I always thought the name was Walkure, probably named after someone. If it's Walkurie, I assume that's an alternate spelling of Valkyrie? I may have been misreading it this whole time. Makes sense, though - it fits your Germanic theme much better.

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #807 on: 28 August 2018, 17:09:40 »
Without having plotted such a fight out, I suspect it'll be even more dice-dependent than most. My gut feeling is that If the carriers can get the drop on the gunships and engage out of gun range, it'll probably be a slaughter - not that they'll necessarily kill the whole Drac fleet, but they won't lose any heavy units if the range never closes. Ditto if the fighters can kill most of the DC fleet in the first salvo, regardless of range. But if the gunships can survive that strike without too many losses and get in close, it'll be a slaughter the other way - the carriers can't turn over fighters nearly quickly enough to get a second full-sized strike off in less than a few hours, and the Lyran ships are too slow to flee. The Tyrs had better be able to take a beating, because they will be the target of every gun in the Drac fleet. (It'll be largely the same in a LC/FWL fight, I'd wager)

Also, I always thought the name was Walkure, probably named after someone. If it's Walkurie, I assume that's an alternate spelling of Valkyrie? I may have been misreading it this whole time. Makes sense, though - it fits your Germanic theme much better.

Tyr is sadly not that tough, instead being radically overgunned - idea is to leverage the minuses of 90 SI and lower thrust with a larger weapon bay.  Formally, a 9/27 mix (243) should fight about even with a 15/15 (225) mix, but Tyr is a little behind its Draconis cousin, because Tyr carries more cargo and more long range (and thus inefficient) weaponry.

At its best, the idea is that if close combat is inevitable, and reload impossible, fighters close to point blank, timing their own missile strike with the shipboard ones, trying to kill enough enemy firepower to let the Tyrs carry the day, and creating weaknesses for the Tyr's broadsides to exploit.  Then, since again reloading is impossible in a close fight, the fighters stay out, jumping on any holes created by the Tyr's guns, since you can roll ship to hide facings from the enemy battleline, but not from fighters.  Its a theory. *shrug*

Smegish

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #808 on: 28 August 2018, 17:13:48 »
My PD is a bit thin, but in my defense both ships were built before Walkurie came out to play. And I was expecting Thera level strike craft, not Star Trek Beyond... :o

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #809 on: 29 August 2018, 21:44:56 »
Yes, sorry.  The intent was Walkurie, as in Valkyrie.  Though the LC hasnt yet abandoned its Greek Lyre for the Steiner fist, the Germanic elements are still strong.

And the idea of a disproportionately genetically African, Middle Eastern, and Polynesian Navy, using German Ranks and Ship Naming Conventions, amuses me.