Author Topic: Battle Armor of the Week - Cavalier  (Read 23736 times)

Nebfer

• Lieutenant
Re: Battle Armor of the Week - Cavalier
« Reply #30 on: 25 November 2011, 21:11:02 »
I was always a bit 'eh' about the looks of it. But when Plog made the following image I had to concede it's awesome.

(Of course the Infiltrator Mk. II is still the most awesome.)

Considering that the Hauberk, Grenadier and Infiltrator Mk. II are well suited for dealing damage to armoured units. I could see the Cavalier being pushed into the role of anti-infantry work. But it just isn't fast enough for that in my mind.
But if it is indeed to remain a trooper battlearmor, it needs to get some load outs that allow it to fit that role.

Well aside from the nipples I like the art for the Cavalier

Though one interesting thought what kind of weapon is it carrying in this pic?
I do not think it's a MG, as the other art has the MG as a rotary (a similar config is in the Fed Com civil war book), a unmentioned Grenade launcher perhaps?

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #31 on: 25 November 2011, 21:17:15 »
Though one interesting thought what kind of weapon is it carrying in this pic?
I do not think it's a MG, as the other art has the MG as a rotary (a similar config is in the Fed Com civil war book), a unmentioned Grenade launcher perhaps?

I believe that it is the MG, as it is firing, so the barrels are blurred, and the spent casings are being ejected all over the place...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Nebfer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: 26 November 2011, 01:43:48 »
I believe that it is the MG, as it is firing, so the barrels are blurred, and the spent casings are being ejected all over the place...

Ruger
That's an awfully big round then... Thats like bigger than the .950 rounds.

Though it's not like art is all that high on the canonical list now is it.

Taurevanime

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: 26 November 2011, 02:10:45 »
Well one of the fluffed machine guns is fluffed as being a 20mm. And it would honestly make a lot of sense for machine guns that can deal damage to mechs to actually be firing that big a round. Remember these are crew served weapons.

Heck I would personally go for even larger caliber rounds at lower velocities in order to pack more explosives in the round.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #34 on: 26 November 2011, 02:38:03 »
Are those clown shoes?

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #35 on: 26 November 2011, 02:40:38 »
Are those clown shoes?

Hey, troopers need room to wiggle their toes!
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #36 on: 26 November 2011, 06:51:12 »
Are those clown shoes?

Actually, now that I take a look, they kind of look like... hooves.  And if that isn't worth a conspiracy theory about Federat attempts to stamp the Taurians with the golden hoof of shame I don't know what is.

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: 26 November 2011, 09:02:30 »
They are hooves, which has always made me wonder how the hell the trooper was supposed to wear it.

Nebfer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: 26 November 2011, 11:33:15 »
Well one of the fluffed machine guns is fluffed as being a 20mm. And it would honestly make a lot of sense for machine guns that can deal damage to mechs to actually be firing that big a round. Remember these are crew served weapons.

Heck I would personally go for even larger caliber rounds at lower velocities in order to pack more explosives in the round.

These rounds look to be 30 to 50mm, considering the MG in the op pic look a lot smaller (as dose the one in the fed com civil war book). In fact in fluff BA MGs are often noted to be around .50 cal in size, like the Elementals MG is (Shadows of War ch 23, mentions 13mm).

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #39 on: 26 November 2011, 11:54:49 »
They are hooves, which has always made me wonder how the hell the trooper was supposed to wear it.

Cavalier Trooper Torgo, reporting for duty!   O0
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: 26 November 2011, 15:17:46 »
Cavalier Trooper Torgo, reporting for duty!   O0
But... the MAster... says that the arMOR should fit ALL... it is too pretty... for these peopLE...

Ah, mst3k references. can't beat 'em. Been watching the Rifftrax that Mike Nelson and folks put out lately, too - some ways I find them funnier than the old misty episodes too.

Taurevanime

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: 26 November 2011, 16:36:36 »
These rounds look to be 30 to 50mm, considering the MG in the op pic look a lot smaller (as dose the one in the fed com civil war book). In fact in fluff BA MGs are often noted to be around .50 cal in size, like the Elementals MG is (Shadows of War ch 23, mentions 13mm).
I don't know. 50mm is awefully big, bigger than that in fact. But hey as someone mentioned, art is not all that canon for when it comes to things like sizes and such.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #42 on: 26 November 2011, 17:06:11 »

Many suits have pilots feet that end half way up the leg.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 26 November 2011, 18:05:12 »
http://images.wikia.com/appleseed/images/1/13/Landmate_cross_section.jpg

It's upsized from typical BA designs, but you can see how the legs of the operators don't need to go through the knees.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Taurevanime

• Captain
« Reply #44 on: 27 November 2011, 03:22:11 »
Actually from a design standpoint it makes a lot of sense. You would still have the ankle of the pilot at the ankle of the suit, and the foot as well. But where the pilot's foot ends you then have the joint for what would be the digits (toes), or even a bit beyond the foot.
The advantage of this is that you do not need to design an articulating plantigrade foot, which needs to be able to move a lot more. And moving parts are hard to armour. So with a leg configuration like this you end up with a simpler, more robust and better armoured foot.

The other thing is that the user as a result also stand a bit taller. Which makes them more imposing psychologically.

Also here is an image of some comercially available stilts that can be used for costumes. (Yes it is the same studio that worked on the Lord of the Rings films)
« Last Edit: 27 November 2011, 03:27:10 by Taurevanime »

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #45 on: 30 November 2011, 00:27:26 »
It also makes sense to have the feet of the operator end above an actual Battle Armors feet. Less moving parts would be required if the foot ended mid calv rather than being even close to the top of the ankle.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #46 on: 30 November 2011, 00:49:08 »
That and having some protection between an operator's feet and an antitank mine.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Coronoides

• Private
« Reply #47 on: 17 December 2011, 00:37:44 »
I kinda like the cavalier's style with its 'knight' helmet and 'warhorse' hooves. I have been transporting mine in Badgers. This works well with a capacity of 2 squads per Badger. Generally, I drive the badgers up fast, drop the cavaliers then have the badgers run away. Seems to work well, then again I mostly play the 'bot on megamek.
Always seeking BT players in Melbourne

Aunodin

• Corporal
« Reply #48 on: 04 October 2017, 15:09:32 »
One of the general reactions I see about the cavalier has been meh, compared to how awesome the stablemates it has are at least. However with one of the newest TRO's out, we can finally say that the Cavalier has its unique flavor and is no longer just a derivative.

With the addition of clan stealth, an anti personal mount, and jump boosters, how well do you think the 2's meet up with their stable mates, and the other nations the Fed Suns are fighting? Would the basic cavalier just redesigned without clan tech have been better for cheaper costs?

[My necromancy dance is now finished.]

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #49 on: 06 October 2017, 15:17:05 »
Without seeing the Record Sheet, we don't know all the details on the Cavalier II. For firepower, the Grenadier II is a sidegrade from the Grenadier H-K. So we don't know that the Cavalier II will be that much better than the original. We can hope, however!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #50 on: 07 October 2017, 01:28:47 »
One of the general reactions I see about the cavalier has been meh, compared to how awesome the stablemates it has are at least. However with one of the newest TRO's out, we can finally say that the Cavalier has its unique flavor and is no longer just a derivative.
[My necromancy dance is now finished.]

The Cavalier is supposed to be sort of meh?  It was the first attempt to clone the Elemental suit, and falls roughly stat-wise the same as the IS Std and Raiden with each having their own little quirks . . . for instance the Cavalier is the only suit that can jump with SRMs, because its in the arm instead of a pack.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Nebfer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #51 on: 07 October 2017, 14:26:36 »
Well not to mention their was some minor differences in armor layout in the older RPG, which has been removed in newer editions, sure these do not have any real impact in the regular game, but they are their (well where).

The BA as found in Lostech book for 3rd ed RPG
The IS Standard has the following modifiers
Armor 9/8/7/7
STR +3
DEX -2
RFL -1

The Cavalier is
Armor 9/8/7/6
STR +3
DEX -1
RFL -1
Fluff Armor of the legs strengthened but arms and hands reduced (over IS standard)

Raiden
Armor 9/7/7/6
STR +4
DEX -2
Fluff less protection for better Strength and Reflexes

Basically in comparison to the Standard the Cavalier has better dexterity at the cost of slightly less protection vs explosives, where as the Raiden has better Reflexes and Strength vs less protection with Ballistic and Explosives.

Not much but it is a small but notable difference that dose not get much notice.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #52 on: 07 October 2017, 17:47:03 »
Sure, I would expect them to be different when it comes to the RPG . . . heck, their kissing cousin in terms of table top- GDL Std- is similar it just does not jump.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Hussar2

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #53 on: 09 October 2017, 01:58:23 »
Without seeing the Record Sheet, we don't know all the details on the Cavalier II. For firepower, the Grenadier II is a sidegrade from the Grenadier H-K. So we don't know that the Cavalier II will be that much better than the original. We can hope, however!

we can't be certain but we can make a reasonable assumption based on the information from TRO:3150.
Take the Cavalier and replace the armor with clan standard stealth used on the Grenadier II. This change  nets you 135 Kg. 125 Kg go to a jump booster and 5 Kg for an anti personnel weapon mount.