Author Topic: The Anime M@sterthread - Platinum is a Full Metal Panic Edition  (Read 163399 times)

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
Re: The Anime M@sterthread - Platinum is a Full Metal Panic Edition
« Reply #1080 on: 13 April 2019, 17:17:20 »
Anime hasn't caught up to the manga. Beyond that, I have enjoyed both so far.
Does anime make any significant cuts, changes, or censorship?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #1082 on: 14 April 2019, 12:00:19 »
And you thought Goblin Slayer is fantasy equivalent of Doomguy?

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1083 on: 15 April 2019, 06:20:46 »
I haven't watched the anime, is that from it?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #1084 on: 15 April 2019, 09:43:17 »
I haven't watched the anime, is that from it?
No. It's from light novel. Anime has colours. Girl in pic is Hero.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #1085 on: 15 April 2019, 13:09:03 »
That obscure classic of the early 2000s, Haruhi Suzumiya...

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #1086 on: 15 April 2019, 13:41:37 »
That obscure classic of the early 2000s, Haruhi Suzumiya...
Wut? ???

[edit]
I haven't forgotten about Melancholy of Harumi Suzumiya, but why do you bring her up?

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #1087 on: 15 April 2019, 14:07:28 »
that picture looks a lot like Haruhi, what with the ribbon and all.
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #1088 on: 16 April 2019, 14:16:49 »
One of the greats has passed.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-04-16/lupin-iii-creator-monkey-punch-passes-away/.145797

The creator of the extremely popular and long-lived Lupin III franchise died on the 11th from pneumonia.  A huge selection of films, TV series, and one of the best action movies ever made - whether Spielberg said it or not about Castle of Cagliostro, it's still true.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1089 on: 16 April 2019, 14:23:18 »
Damn...

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1090 on: 17 April 2019, 05:52:20 »
That's terrible loss.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #1091 on: 17 April 2019, 08:18:38 »
Sad to hear.

Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #1092 on: 17 April 2019, 12:49:20 »
About picture of Doomguy & Hero comparison:
that picture looks a lot like Haruhi, what with the ribbon and all.
I can see likeness. Maybe Goblin Slayer's author or illustrator wanted to do double homage or something? Fan(s) of Haruhi, so he/they made Hero to resemble her, then they read Goblin Slayer compared to Doom(guy) and came up with that. Maybe to remind the readers who is the real badass of the story.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #1093 on: 18 April 2019, 15:00:47 »
I just read that Goblin Slayer's English voice actor is the one who did motion capture for Doom Slayer. No shit

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1094 on: 24 April 2019, 09:47:45 »
Now this is interesting...
ANN has posted a article about a July Magic/Mecha-type series called Granblem. The article also includes a link for ep 1's first 10 minutes streamed via youtube. I'll admit, this might be interesting.
The Mecha themselves seem to be SD-styled and more 2D rendered than "Oh looK! I'm full CGI" rendered. I'm intrigued.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1095 on: 24 April 2019, 11:16:09 »
Looks astounding cute, & the staff is promising. Will give it a go when it airs in July!

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #1096 on: 24 April 2019, 11:22:42 »
MadCapellan! Been a while since your last post (of what I have seen). I already thought you might have got overrun by a truck and reincarnated in fantasy world. May I have your attention in this topic over here? It's about tsundere and isekai.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1097 on: 24 April 2019, 12:22:10 »
I'm afraid I wouldn't have a lot to add - as much as I love tsunderes, I honestly dislike the deconstruction of every character trait & story element into some sort of interchangeable cookie-cutter trope. Tsundere to me is like a musical movement - it's a style of character development where a character's pre-existing values & expectations come into conflict with their emotions & they ultimately resolve in an evolution of the character. Boiling it down to "angry girl is secretly nice inside" & turning it into just another archetype to check the box for in a love comedy cast has resulted in a lot of disappointing characters that mimic the mannerisms of tsundere with little of the charm. I'd rather not view my fiction or its characters as just a collection of pre-existing blocks strung together, but rather as a holistic artistic expression of their creators. Nothing of artistic merit is so easily expressed, and trying to force it to be is a disservice to the artists who created it.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #1098 on: 24 April 2019, 13:59:29 »
I'd rather not view my fiction or its characters as just a collection of pre-existing blocks strung together, but rather as a holistic artistic expression of their creators. Nothing of artistic merit is so easily expressed, and trying to force it to be is a disservice to the artists who created it.
I'm pretty sure Red has emphasized that in her videos, at least to the point that doing it [character trope] in the right way isn't an easy feat and much goes wrong about it.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #1099 on: 24 April 2019, 18:19:36 »
On that note, mc, I need to pick thru your brains later
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #1100 on: 26 April 2019, 09:51:18 »
Now that everything's settled, I havent had an anime season this light in quite a while. Nothing much has grabbed my interest, or it's all on various sites where I cant watch without hoisting the jolly roger.

Thing's I'm watching (That arent continuations from last season)
Midnight Occult Civil Servants: I make it a point to watch a series if it features adults as opposed to teenagers. So far I'm entertained. They're pulling a nice distribution of folklore. I never expected to see Huehuecoyotl in an anime.

Helpful Fox Senko-san: Fluff! Fluuuuuuuuff. I will admit it's a bit empty of content, but cute fox loli-baba is adorable and comfy.

Isekai Quartet:Well, I watched and enjoyed three out of those four shows so. It's amusing me. I would like to see more comedy fighting though.

Fruits Basket: I never watched the previous version. Always seemed like something I should have watched but never got around to it. So far...well it's definitely 90s shoujou. Its keeping me entertained enough for the moment, we'll see.

Strike Witches: Take Off: Ooph. I'd probably drop it if the season was busier. I realize they're exaggerating character traits for comedy purposes, but everyone seems wildly out of character because of it.

Wiseman's Grandchild: Mostly harmless. I'd have picked Maria, personally. Has some issues with tonal shifts.

Demon Slayer: Beautiful, violent and dark. Not quite as far in that direction as Dororo, but still really good. Nezuko's kinda adorable too.

Amazing Stranger: It's watchable. I have concerns but we'll see how it goes. Major wish fulfillment though.

Star Twinkle Precure: Cute Space Elves make everything better-lun. I would watch this just for Lala and her adorable verbal tics-lun.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1101 on: 26 April 2019, 10:08:26 »
I'm only watching 5 out of those 9.

Also doing:
- that Nagoya advertisement and Cinderella Girls Theater, both for the 3-minute fluff.
- One Punch Man, even if first season was better.
- Yu-No just for sake of ELF. Borderline droppable for me.
- Hitoribocchi and Ao-chan, though both not for the main character.
- Joshikausei, for the concept of a silent anime.
- Nobunaga Teacher's Young Bride, though i don't really know why.

Favourites this season though are Senryuu Girl (even if it's tropey as hell - they still pull it off nicely) and Nande Koko ni Sensei ga (even if it rides on that single line - with the original actually being a series of oneshot mangas based on the line).

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #1102 on: 03 May 2019, 12:53:41 »
I think my comments regarding Price of Smiles really got lost in the weeds - my point wasn't really the tractor specifically, but the lack of cost associated with Yuki Soleil's decision in general. After all the people who've paid a hefty price to carry the story thus far, & after we're cautioned by everyone how potentially damaging & disasterous her decision would be, it just.....wasn't. It's incongruent with the established tone of the series & is logically inconsistent.

Okay. I see what you're getting at.  However, I would posit that it wasn't as drastic as it might seem due to the nature of their power sources.  The impression I got was that the 'free energy' was actually killing the processes that made life possible on the planet.  So, while they were losing out on free electricity, plants were able to grow in abundance again.  So, it was kind of a trade-off.

But, beyond that, I agree that there should have been a year, at least, of absolute devastation and hardship.  The problem we're looking at here is the show is trying to appeal to a particular crowd, but expose them to a different theme not normally found in the kind of show they watch, and still have a happy, feel-good ending. So, they gloss some things over.  I could tell from the start that this show wasn't meant to be gritty realistic, though they try to tackle 'War is Bad', simply due to the nature of the lead characters in the first ep, and the fact that there was a narrator to explain things. So, I knew, in spite of the general theme, to expect something of a light tone.

I'm not trying to defend their decision.  In fact, I feel a lot of shows have been getting an overcorrection from the morbid horror style skull-****** endings of the 80s and 90s, giving a bit of a too-positive aspect to the hero-team dynamic, which is taking away from what could be if the story was a little more level-headed/handed.  That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime is another show that, though I enjoyed it, came away a little too easy for the protagonist. But, like Knights and Magic, I take it for what it is.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1103 on: 03 May 2019, 13:51:33 »
The problem we're looking at here is the show is trying to appeal to a particular crowd, but expose them to a different theme not normally found in the kind of show they watch, and still have a happy, feel-good ending. So, they gloss some things over.  I could tell from the start that this show wasn't meant to be gritty realistic, though they try to tackle 'War is Bad', simply due to the nature of the lead characters in the first ep, and the fact that there was a narrator to explain things. So, I knew, in spite of the general theme, to expect something of a light tone.

While Egao no Daika wasn't a graphic, grimdark tragedy, I don't feel you can portray a series that kills one of its two lead characters episode 3 & carries on having named characters tragically sacrifice their lives right up to the finale as "light in tone".

For ten straight episodes, characters we had been encouraged to empathize with on both sides of the conflict were killed in combat, ostensibly because it was necessary for a better future. Yuki herself was portrayed as a sheltered, naive girl who had to be protected by these sacrifices, and yet, in the end her whimsical decision to pull the plug on the established infrastructure turned out to be a consequence-free ticket to utopia & everyone who came before died a meaningless death to prevent this gifted child from making the reflexive right decision. I can't help but feel the result is nothing other than the narrative jumping the track...
« Last Edit: 03 May 2019, 15:53:46 by MadCapellan »

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #1104 on: 03 May 2019, 16:11:45 »
It could also be they simply ran out of time/funding/what-have-you, and couldn't portray the aftermath in what is a one-shot series, and went with the 'happy ending' as a cop-out.

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1105 on: 03 May 2019, 16:22:59 »
It could also be they simply ran out of time/funding/what-have-you, and couldn't portray the aftermath in what is a one-shot series, and went with the 'happy ending' as a cop-out.

Sure, & considering the state of both Tatsunoko & the industry at large, it's quite possible that the finale was an unfortunate result of circumstances. It just doesn't change that it was a very disappointing finale to a promising series, & I know Tatsunoko was capable of better.
« Last Edit: 03 May 2019, 17:49:15 by MadCapellan »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #1106 on: 03 May 2019, 17:15:37 »
Just started My Roommate Is a Cat.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #1107 on: 06 May 2019, 08:29:44 »
Sure, & considering the state of both Tatsunoko & the industry at large, it's quite possible that the finale was an unfortunate result of circumstances. It just doesn't change that it was a very disappointing finale to a promising series, & I know Tatsunoko was capable of better.

I won't fault you for that.  That's been a thing in all kinds of entertainment, lately. We should hold their feet to the fire.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #1108 on: 06 May 2019, 23:11:20 »
Almost done and through with BanG Dream! Lyrics are song by others than voice actresses. In didn't notice difference with Love Live and K-ON!, but with BanG Dream! I find it bit jarring.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1109 on: 07 May 2019, 09:06:48 »
Almost done and through with BanG Dream! Lyrics are song by others than voice actresses. In didn't notice difference with Love Live and K-ON!, but with BanG Dream! I find it bit jarring.

Uuhh, no, the seiyuu for singing & talking are the same. Poppin' Party & Roselia even play their own instruments.