Author Topic: (Answered) Downtime Training  (Read 1556 times)

ntin

• Sergeant
(Answered) Downtime Training
« on: 13 May 2013, 15:25:26 »
I have a few questions about training during downtime. I saw a few of these were asked by other posters but were not answered.

On page 334 in A Time of War, the second paragraph under the training header describes a teacher’s lesson has a penalty due to the student already knowing part of the lesson. What does not make sense to me is the formula of [(teacher’s skill – student’s skill) / 2 rounded down]. In the example the teacher’s gunnery skill is 6 and the student’s gunnery skill is 3, using the formula described there is a 1 penalty to the training roll. However if the student instead of a gunnery skill of 3 had a 0 gunnery skill then the penalty would work out to 6-0 = 6 / 2 = 3. So the student how knows nothing has a bigger penalty to the training roll than the student who knows something, which seems counter to the idea of the penalty.

On the same page under the training during downtime, does the student benefit the xp granted from both training and downtime?

If so are there are multiple training checks in the one month of down time?

Is the skill check described under training during downtime the skill that is attempting to be trained or is it still the appropriate career skill?
« Last Edit: 17 June 2013, 17:03:02 by Paul »

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
Re: (Research) Downtime Training
« Reply #1 on: 17 June 2013, 17:02:52 »
See this errata:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,5954.msg707362.html#msg707362

On the same page under the training during downtime, does the student benefit the xp granted from both training and downtime?

One or the other.

Is the skill check described under training during downtime the skill that is attempting to be trained or is it still the appropriate career skill?

Not following the question.
The skill check for training during downtime is the Training Skill from the trainer. You do not roll using the Skill you're attempting to improve.
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Register