Author Topic: Taking the Bull By the Horns: Taurus Rising  (Read 158170 times)

lrose

• Master Sergeant
Re: Taking the Bull By the Horns: Taurus Rising
« Reply #480 on: 21 February 2020, 16:58:55 »
No . . . what I was suggesting was that initially a colony would have a search and rescue service.  As population increases, more infrastructure ends up in space, the economy increases and you begin to engage in trade with neighbors . . . that is when you might split off the more militant members of the space rescue to form your new navy.  It works better b/c they bring over institutional knowledge about operations rather than starting from scratch and transferring your cadre from say . . . the Army.  Because a old general, now Admiral is going to commit ground-based thinking mistakes trying to give orders to ships in a 3D environment.

Not that I disagree with your point about the problems with transferring over army troops to the navy but in this case Periphery 1e clearly says the TC did not have a standing army until 2360. Prior to 2360 they may have had some militias for planetary defense and maybe a coast guard like organization for protecting/patrolling space lanes.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #481 on: 21 February 2020, 17:04:39 »
It was just a suggestion . . . historically, some nations with their armies as the premier service have assigned generals to command fleets for various reasons.  I have no details about the TC military formation but was rather suggesting their navy- because of their later professionalism- was perhaps formed from some civil agency used to operating in space.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Hairbear541

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #482 on: 21 February 2020, 17:16:57 »
colt you could well be right , but as there were supposed to have been 25 aquilla bringing the original colony population + supplies . so all those spacers could have given a cadre for both orginazitions , leaving enough for the commerce aspect of things . but i like you ideas even when they clash with my ideas .

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #483 on: 21 February 2020, 19:14:22 »
The Taurians settled in an area where regular impact events were a serious concern, to the point where they had high yield nuclear warheads on hand specifically to nudge asteroids out of the way well into the 31st century.

They likely had a very active spacer tradition from the beginning just to prevent cataclysmic impacts.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #484 on: 29 February 2020, 18:52:08 »
Judging by CamoSpecs, the colors Taurians use in HBS BattleTech, blood red and white, don't seem to be canonical paint scheme for Taurians?

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #485 on: 29 February 2020, 20:33:57 »
Similar to the 3rd Taurian Lancers and Taurian Pride regiments.
But tptb would have given them a canon scheme for a regiment.
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #486 on: 01 March 2020, 03:32:17 »
Judging by CamoSpecs, the colors Taurians use in HBS BattleTech, blood red and white, don't seem to be canonical paint scheme for Taurians?

None of the HBS schemes are directly based on canon schemes, but are more angled at giving "generic" schemes that represent that faction. Some of the choices are inspured by canon schemes though
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #487 on: 06 October 2020, 15:38:36 »
Has the Taurian Wolverine variant mentioned in FR2765 Periphery ever been stated out?

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #488 on: 06 October 2020, 20:59:33 »
Has the Taurian Wolverine variant mentioned in FR2765 Periphery ever been stated out?
No, as far as i know.
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
  • Ravaging the enemies of House Davion
« Reply #489 on: 07 October 2020, 01:49:30 »
They didn't include it in the Succession Wars TRO? That would be logical.

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #490 on: 07 October 2020, 16:01:26 »
They didn't include it in the Succession Wars TRO? That would be logical.

As they haven't i'm going to assume we'll see it in whichever IlClan recguide includes the Wolverine.

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #491 on: 03 May 2021, 14:35:09 »
Has the TDF gotten any mechs other than the Royal Warhammer and Marauder in the recguides to date?

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
    • My Facebook
« Reply #492 on: 03 May 2021, 16:39:13 »
Has the TDF gotten any mechs other than the Royal Warhammer and Marauder in the recguides to date?

None than i am aware off. Would love to see a new Thunderbolt variant that is not the -9T.

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #493 on: 04 May 2021, 14:53:42 »
None than i am aware off. Would love to see a new Thunderbolt variant that is not the -9T.

Sounds like the Royal Thunderbolt is also being built.

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
    • My Facebook
« Reply #494 on: 05 May 2021, 09:49:30 »
Sounds like the Royal Thunderbolt is also being built.

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/ground-combat/marauder-2r/msg1335634/#msg1335634

WHM-6Rb at Pinard.
TTI is building the WHM-10T/11T.

TDR-5Sb is being built at Pinard as well, at least until the TDR-9T.

And the Pinard PXH is the PXH-4W.

Turaglas

• Master Sergeant
  • Embrace the suck
« Reply #495 on: 23 June 2021, 19:57:34 »
Hope the reunification in 3157 goes smoothly. 
"This is why the same true fighting will never employ ornate, showy, or wide patterns, [nor will it include] exaggerated moves which are useful only for the entertainment of spectators."

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #496 on: 04 July 2021, 14:55:50 »
Did i get this right? The Taurians use 6-tank lances, and thus 18-tank companies?

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #497 on: 04 July 2021, 16:51:34 »
Yes, yes they do.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #498 on: 04 July 2021, 17:23:26 »
Neato. Commanders sent against the Taurians better not be careless about intel.
Pondering making a Taurian unit but not 100% sure on that though.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #499 on: 04 July 2021, 18:37:32 »
Their mech forces normally use four company battalions as well.

Though depending on the era they might not have the equipment to fill out units like that, so that could vary.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #500 on: 04 July 2021, 18:44:58 »
Yeah, well, wouldn't do anything beyond a company or combined arms battalion... (Well, unless i'd end up winning in a lottery.)
The TC lacking combined arms doctrine is a bit disappointing. As is the fact their vehicle units seem to be more or less planet-bound.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #501 on: 04 July 2021, 22:05:22 »
That's probably mostly due to transportation issues. The Taurians don't build a lot of or very big dropships, and they don't have a lot of jumpships to haul them around.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #502 on: 04 July 2021, 22:51:59 »
I think they should have a combined arms training but it is mostly as a defensive force, not as an Offensive one.  Because as Liam's Ghost said, limited dropship options
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #503 on: 05 July 2021, 07:10:44 »
This actually does explain why they use bigger tank lances and companies. If those aren't getting moved around, there isn't really reason to limit their size to the standard 4. Defensively, bigger units are just fine.

Starfury

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #504 on: 05 July 2021, 16:35:40 »
That larger formation also makes sense since the TC has a bad tendency to shrink when taken out of the wash.  Larger ground based defense forces make it easier to defend against incoming attack, and it also works nicely with the TC's paranoia.

Longstrider

• Corporal
« Reply #505 on: 22 September 2021, 22:19:19 »
Are there any novels/short stories/novellas/sourcebooks that cover or feature Taurians (including Calderon and maybe even Fronc) past the Major Periphery States Handbook? I've buzzed around the BT universe for some time now, but finally getting more into it with a couple of local friends to actually play games with, and we're looking at the new Ilclan era as a good place to get into the metaplot. H:MPS ends in 3067 so that's before all that Blakist horror, but is anything after that worth a read for Taurian content?

Starfury

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #506 on: 23 September 2021, 08:17:03 »
Operation Turning Points: Tortuga and the Fronc Reaches deal with the Fronc Reaches battles against the pirates of the Tortuga Dominion in 3072 and 3088.  They're both well written and feature both merc units, the Fronc Reaches militia and the Colonial Marshals facing down the pirates in a homage to classic Westerns.  Total Chaos and Jihad Final Reckoning deal with the Taurian invasion of the Federated Suns and its defeat during the Jihad, with Field Manual 3085 and 3145 detailing out the rapid decline of the Taurians until about 3145 or so. Era Digest/Report Dark Ages and Shattered Fortress gives some extra information on the Taurians in the late Dark Age era.

Basically, the Taurians go to war against the Federated Suns, gain the Pleadies Cluster but lose much of their other territory after their rebuilt Warship and military forces are driven off over the Jihad. Even using nukes against the Fed Suns doesn't stop their defeat. Taurus also gets hit by an asteroid from the Word of Blakes's mass driver ship, destroying the capital.  Their 3085 leader goes paranoid and through bad mismanagement, the Taurians end up as the fifth most powerful faction in the Periphery til about the 3140s. Their crazy leader is overthrown, and they contonue rebuild and open up trade relations with the Filtvelt Coalition, the Calderon Protectorate, the Fronc Reaches, the Magistracy of Canopus, and the Raven Alliance. By 3146, they've rebuilt to 9 mech regiments or so, and extend a reunification offer via marriage to the Calderon Protectorate.

TL:DR, the TC overextends itself in the Jihad, and takes
about 60 plus years to get back to some form of stability and power.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #507 on: 23 September 2021, 08:27:54 »
One of the funny tjings of the taurian fall is that the fedsuns did not invade to capitalize and get those (now defenseless) planets that leave Taurian control. So their paranoia seems to have been grossly overboard.
We knew that, but maybe now the taurians will know it as well?

Longstrider

• Corporal
« Reply #508 on: 23 September 2021, 15:25:25 »
Thanks both! Yeah, I gathered that the Taurians uh... scored a rather apocalyptic own goal. I'm hoping that the lack of a Davion invasion will lead to cooler heads prevailing as things go forward. But I'll check out those books for sure.

Longstrider

• Corporal
« Reply #509 on: 23 October 2021, 09:53:49 »
Alright! I did quite a bit of reading from the recommended sources, and now I'm going through the books on Ian Cameron's (boo, hiss, etc)) misbegotten nightmare of a league. It would indeed be nice if, as the plot progresses from 3151, cooler heads prevail and the periphery states can get on back to developing their own paths and avoiding entanglements with the latest round of Terran barbarism. There's so much potential for rebuilding relationships with ex-Concordat worlds, exploration, and building the good society if the Taurian-Calderon reunification goes well.

For paint scheme I'm thinking of doing a couple lances in a modified First Taurian Pride scheme. The red and brown might wash out a little, so I'm thinking of maybe leaning more to a cold blue-white as a secondary pop colour instead of/in addition to the brown, and bright cockpits - maybe with some brass/bronze metallic panelling to evoke the brown that's mentioned.
« Last Edit: 23 October 2021, 09:56:49 by Longstrider »

Register