Author Topic: Rise of the Scorpion Empire  (Read 4395 times)

Doom

• Master Sergeant
Rise of the Scorpion Empire
« on: 07 August 2020, 13:53:13 »
Whoa! OTP: Hanseatic Crusade dropped today! Talk about a major event in the Periphery! Goodbye Imperio, hello Scorpion Empire!

Shiro15

• Corporal
  • Kentares shot first....
    • Homepage
Re: Rise of the Scorpion Empire
« Reply #1 on: 07 August 2020, 14:55:19 »
An expected result...

but I am a little bit sad that the Hanse has been absorbed by the Clanner. It was a fascinating concept of a mercantile empire.
On the other hand it is logical that a Clan-force wins against a deep periphery nation like the Hanse.

Doom

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 07 August 2020, 15:06:24 »
It seems they gave a good account of themselves, at least. I think they fared better than the FRR did during the Clan Invasion. I'd've been more upset if they got steamrolled. I'm okay with how they went down, especially with some galaxies being all but destroyed.

adamv215

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: 07 August 2020, 15:15:41 »
An expected result...

but I am a little bit sad that the Hanse has been absorbed by the Clanner. It was a fascinating concept of a mercantile empire.
On the other hand it is logical that a Clan-force wins against a deep periphery nation like the Hanse.

Created an account just to agree with you on this. Seems like we are Entering this ilclan era in the IS.  So I'm not sure why all the Periphery states need to go that way too.

Also it sort of bugged me that the book had this weird, "the imperio scorpio was producing clan tech within 20 years, and they slightly loosened social restrictions on the caste-system they forced everybody into, and so everyone became fine with it" tone to it.  I get that older sourcebooks weren't POV, but this book is written 3rd person omniscient (not sure why I used the spoiler tag for this this one, but oh well).

The prose itself is good at least and the campaign itself does look pretty tight though, looking forward to playing it.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #4 on: 07 August 2020, 15:28:19 »
Welcome to the forum!  Spoiler curtain is always appreciated around here.  Especially for new releases.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 07 August 2020, 20:20:04 »
What I am curious about is how many new bloodnames there are and when they loosened the restrictions does that means lower castes can use their surnames.  And in a answer to the question of loosening restrictions the Scorpions have been influence by the Eridani and trying to rebuild their identity.  I suspect they will be facing the Homeworld Clans in the future and since both have similar number of systems it will be one heck of a fight.

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #6 on: 07 August 2020, 20:50:54 »
What I am curious about is how many new bloodnames there are and when they loosened the restrictions does that means lower castes can use their surnames.  And in a answer to the question of loosening restrictions the Scorpions have been influence by the Eridani and trying to rebuild their identity.  I suspect they will be facing the Homeworld Clans in the future and since both have similar number of systems it will be one heck of a fight.

What I want to know is where are the Warriors from the Moreau bloodline? If they're using ELH survivors and Scorpion Empire citizens for new bloodnames, why not his?

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 07 August 2020, 20:55:55 »
What I want to know is where are the Warriors from the Moreau bloodline? If they're using ELH survivors and Scorpion Empire citizens for new bloodnames, why not his?

Craig

Only a handful of people were mentioned, one reason why there should be an update on Scorpion Bloodnames because there might be a Moreau bloodname.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #8 on: 07 August 2020, 21:05:34 »
There was a Moreau bloodline in Clan Star Adder that was heavily targeted by the Scorpions for years.  But they are Aerospace, mostly.

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #9 on: 07 August 2020, 21:10:46 »

Craig

As Kerensky dictated that Moreau's genes could not be used in the Clan breeding program, it's entirely possible that the Scorpions simply don't have his genetic data on file anywhere.

Also it sort of bugged me that the book had this weird, "the imperio scorpio was producing clan tech within 20 years, and they slightly loosened social restrictions on the caste-system they forced everybody into, and so everyone became fine with it" tone to it.

This is mostly my thought as well. The book and are both great, but I really wish the dysfunctional, ramshackle and fractured nature of the Imperio played a bigger part in the continued Scorpion storyline.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #10 on: 07 August 2020, 21:27:21 »
There's nothing to say it is better in the Imperio.  Maybe the Scorpions are preparing to shift focal points, and move their "base" further from their Nuevo Castile stomping grounds.
« Last Edit: 07 August 2020, 22:13:32 by rebs »

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #11 on: 07 August 2020, 21:42:47 »
There's nothing to say it is better in the Imperio.

I would have to heavily disagree with that. The product states, numerous times, that the population is all getting along quite well. Heck, the number of Freebirths of Umayyid or Castilian origin that serve in the Touman alone shows how well integrated the population is.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #12 on: 07 August 2020, 22:05:34 »
As Kerensky dictated that Moreau's genes could not be used in the Clan breeding program, it's entirely possible that the Scorpions simply don't have his genetic data on file anywhere.

I can't see that -- Moreau was so important to the Clan, probably the most important non-800 warrior in the Clan's history, He was their first Loremaster, and helped set them on the path of the Seeker. I can see them having Moreau's DNA on file -- not to be used, but as a measure of respect.

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

adamv215

• Recruit
« Reply #13 on: 07 August 2020, 22:08:26 »
I would have to heavily disagree with that. The product states, numerous times, that the population is all getting along quite well. Heck, the number of Freebirths of Umayyid or Castilian origin that serve in the Touman alone shows how well integrated the population is.

The description of the campaign is equally lopsided as well First this RPF made this mistake.  Then this Hansa command dropped the ball here.  And that Hanseatic League shouldn't have done the thing they just did, because it just made the Imperio that much more insanely good at warfare.  And on and on and on.  Again, if the IS is all ilclan now is the story of a clan bowling over another periphery state one worth telling right now?

And just to reiterate, the actually campaign looks really fun.

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 07 August 2020, 22:24:00 »
The description of the campaign is equally lopsided as well First this RPF made this mistake.  Then this Hansa command dropped the ball here.  And that Hanseatic League shouldn't have done the thing they just did, because it just made the Imperio that much more insanely good at warfare.  And on and on and on.  Again, if the IS is all ilclan now is the story of a clan bowling over another periphery state one worth telling right now?

And just to reiterate, the actually campaign looks really fun.

I think it is a build up for a campaign where the Scorpion Empire faces the Homeworld Clans.  Or gives players a chance to play “Seekers” where you take a Star or smaller unit explore the Periphary and try to find Star League treasure.

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
    • Handbook: Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #15 on: 07 August 2020, 22:54:14 »

Probably for the same reason they aren't already in use

The Clans have existed for 300 years at this point.
The Clans can and do use freebirth DNA in their breeding program. This offers a potential route for the Scorpions to have integrated Moreaus DNA into their program. However, that depends on how strict NKs command was, but if they were able to use the DNA of the ELH and other Spheroids, then NKs command on the issue presumably didn't limit the use of freebirth DNA to just the 600.

One would presume that the bloodlines of many of the original support troops and otherwise important figures in a Clans history could have been integrated in this manner.

The second point to consider is that it is possible for the ilKhan...and presumably, by extension, the Grand Council...to create a new BloodName. While CGL would suggest that none were created in the centuries before REVIVAL, the suggestion that no Clan Warrior performed well enough, or earned enough glory to warrant the ultimate reward is, quite frankly, ludicrous. Even at one every fifty years, that is another four or so BloodHouses per Clan at the time of REVIVAL and given the importance of Moreau, one could presume that the Scorpions would push for the creation of said BloodHouse and might even have been a little lax. You get a Warrior with a Moreau heritage as part of the program to keep the DNA "fresh" who perfoms glorious and you end up with a  BloodHouse which can trace its lineage back to Moreau. A little indirect, but still it also has to be said that TPTB have stated (I think) no new Bloodnames were added. It's silly, but there it is.

The third point, which you also mention, is that the Scorpions now appears to have decided to assume the right to create BloodNames. The criteria is unknown, but it doesn't appear to be as strict as the Council of Six Trial of BloodFounding. Indeed, going by the text, it appears more in keeping with NKs Bloodright...the ultimate reward for a warriors' performance, with the difference being that the Clan Council/Khan awards it rather than the Grand Council or ilKhan.

That points to several possibilities -

1: The Scorpions have interpreted Nicholas' restriction so as to forbid Moreau permanently. This seems unlikely, but I suppose not impossible.
2: The Scorpions feel they require Moreaus DNA to create a true BloodHouse and don't have it
3: There is a Moreau BloodHouse, but it is newly established and small.
4: The Scorpions want to create such as BloodHouse, but noone with Moreaus DNA has performed gloriously enough to warrant the award and they don't want to cheat or cheapen the award.

« Last Edit: 08 August 2020, 12:28:17 by Talen5000 »
"So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?" -- Uncle Arnie

blackjack

• When you're a professional pirate ...
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 08 August 2020, 12:17:58 »
So on a different note. Who was excited by the new mechs? I am wondering about the Hunters movement. I figure its a typo. An official Rhino is bad ass to see & was very happy to see the "new" omni mech.

Doom

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 08 August 2020, 12:31:36 »
I love the Surtur. Load it with infernos and it's a salvage-maker. Lop the heads off of whatever doesn't shut down from the heat.

Starfury

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #18 on: 09 August 2020, 12:26:55 »
I like the focus on quads, especially fast moving quads with MASC or superchargers, that Goliath Scorpion uses in their Galaxies.  The Ommi Snow Fox is a nice logical extension of the Ice Hellion doctrine, and the Tolva along with the Rhino are two very maneuverable but different units. The upgraded Cazador with its anti-vehicle/infantry/aerospace weapons layout is also an interesting idea.  The Rhino is a great mech for the newly converted warriors to use, since it's a 50 ton battering ram with ER Mediums slapped on. The Tolva is a slower but mobile skirmisher that's useful against light and medium units.  It shows that the Goliath Scorpions can adapt and think outside the box.

The Surtur now makes sense to me when I look at from Doom's perspective.  It's definitely a Mech designed for both profit and military use.  It would also be deadly vs infantry and even vehicles.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
  • Ravaging the enemies of House Davion
« Reply #19 on: 10 August 2020, 03:41:56 »
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=42886.690 Thread updated to reflect the faction changes :) Welcome to use it.

Register