Author Topic: A forgotten world's defense force  (Read 5207 times)

CitizenErased

• Master Sergeant
  • Eldritch Galactic Princess
    • Dykes Dig Giant Robots
A forgotten world's defense force
« on: 13 October 2020, 21:56:14 »
I'm putting together a scenario and/or fanfic based around a world in the Near Periphery that has lost most contact with the Inner Sphere (outside of the occasional JàrnFòlk convoy) and then winds up being taken as part of Clan Smoke Jaguar's invasion corridor. I'm thinking that this world has maintained a relatively decent level of tech, but just never had a large enough population to be worth installing an HPG or anything of that like. But even so, they'd still have a small militia with 'Mechs for defense against pirates. I know what all the obvious choices for that sort of force are, but does anyone have recommendations for interesting or rare choices?

Bonus subquestion: I want one of the 'Mechs in the defense force to be nicknamed El Fusilado, partially as a tribute to the real-world revolutionary hero Wenceslao Miguel and partially as a morbid joke about this 'Mech's history of getting blown all to hell but managing to get repaired despite all odds. Anyone have a good suggestion as to what 'Mech best fits this idea?
Your friendly neighborhood transgender giant robot enthusiast!

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
Re: A forgotten world's defense force
« Reply #1 on: 14 October 2020, 02:40:34 »
For the mech I would take a Thug. It is a though version of the Warhmmer and the Dracs seem to have it in some regard.

being near the DC (Smoke jaguar corridor) I would take panthers aplenty. Besides that, whatever floas your boat :) Remember that early panthers moved 5/8 and had a large laser, so they are semi-wolfhounds.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 14 October 2020, 04:29:26 »
Hammerhands for El Fusilado, one of the proto Warhammers.

I also say Panthers just cause they are so good in that kind of role but Falcons (the original) and Javelins are also solid choices for old school militia mechs

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #3 on: 14 October 2020, 04:36:11 »
I would suggest an all energy unit for that special ‘Mech. Something like an Ostsol or Black Knight. At most, something with only a ton of ammo, like say a Quickdraw-5A.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #4 on: 14 October 2020, 06:11:42 »
mech selection should probably be dependent on when the colony was established and when it lost regular contact with the Inner Sphere.

Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 14 October 2020, 10:59:21 »
There’s a story set on a world very like that in the latest issue of Shrapnel.  If you can acquire a copy, I highly recommend the story, called Daybreak on Shining Mountain.  In that case the colony was established just before the Star League collapsed, apparently in what would become the Ghost Bear invasion corridor, close enough to the periphery that an HPG could’ve gotten a signal to civilization, but they didn’t have the parts to finish theirs.  I’m not sure of the force’s entire composition, but their command lance in a Cyclops and three Awesomes, and they also have a lance that’s a mix of Galahad-1D and -2D.  I want to say there was a Spider mentioned, but that may have been in their opposition.

Edit: just checked. Definitely a mention of Spiders, plural. Context suggests those were the smallest mechs in the force, and there’s also mention of heavies, in context apparently bigger heavies than the Galahads.
« Last Edit: 14 October 2020, 19:33:39 by Arkansas Warrior »
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 14 October 2020, 17:16:33 »
 Ostwar OWR-2Mb......bigger and badder than the Ostol and lives up to your desired nickname. El Fusilado

Nice good Los Tech Battlemech. Only comes out when absolutely needed.

Warship

• Sergeant
  • Once more into the fire
« Reply #7 on: 14 October 2020, 22:11:58 »
Wow, that man's story is impressive.  Sounds like a good idea.

Davion Loyalist

• Corporal
« Reply #8 on: 15 October 2020, 11:27:42 »
Given its ammo bomb reputation perhaps El Fusilado should be a Crusader?

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 17 October 2020, 11:35:25 »
Grasshopper because I've seen others use them and get them blown apart and still keep coming.  not in my hands, in mine golden BB are the rule with hits.

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 17 October 2020, 17:22:39 »
I wanna say Thunderbolt for ridiculous durability.
Though a Grasshopper as recommended also works.

An Orion?

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 17 October 2020, 22:11:05 »
I wanna say Thunderbolt for ridiculous durability.
Though a Grasshopper as recommended also works.

An Orion?

???   Thunderbolt or Orion?  The Thud does at least carry decent energy armament (not that it will ever fun out of it’s full ton of MG and SRM2 ammo); the Orion is left with just a pair of MLs if it runs out of ammo.  But then, the Thud is carrying a full ton of MG and SRM2 ammo.  Each.  And it’s CT is full of LRM ammo.  That’s a huge risk.  I’ve never understood how people can call a mech with that much ammo, distributed that badly, “durable”.  Sure, it has good armor, but plenty of mechs have good armor.  Most of them aren’t carrying around 200 rounds of MG, 50 rounds of SRM (for one launcher), and 2 more tons of ammo in the CT.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 18 October 2020, 23:52:08 »
???   Thunderbolt or Orion?  The Thud does at least carry decent energy armament (not that it will ever fun out of it’s full ton of MG and SRM2 ammo); the Orion is left with just a pair of MLs if it runs out of ammo.  But then, the Thud is carrying a full ton of MG and SRM2 ammo.  Each.  And it’s CT is full of LRM ammo.  That’s a huge risk.  I’ve never understood how people can call a mech with that much ammo, distributed that badly, “durable”.  Sure, it has good armor, but plenty of mechs have good armor.  Most of them aren’t carrying around 200 rounds of MG, 50 rounds of SRM (for one launcher), and 2 more tons of ammo in the CT.
They can go with the ELH variant if the MG and SRM are troublesome.

As for the Orion.... AC/10.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #13 on: 19 October 2020, 00:04:27 »
???   Thunderbolt or Orion?  The Thud does at least carry decent energy armament (not that it will ever fun out of it’s full ton of MG and SRM2 ammo); the Orion is left with just a pair of MLs if it runs out of ammo.  But then, the Thud is carrying a full ton of MG and SRM2 ammo.

Umm... you can't not have a full ton SRM2 ammo bay. They only come in one ton lots.

(I think MG ammo might have also only come in one ton lots when the Thud was made).

I feel like there's plenty of justification for a periphery planet to not completely load a mech's ammo bay, regardless. Hell, there's plenty of justification for everybody to not fully load a mech's ammunition bays all the time if they have a reasonable expectation that doing so is going to cause more trouble than it's worth. 
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 19 October 2020, 13:01:22 »
You could mount multiple SRM2s.  (Yes I know, better to mount a single SRM4 or SRM6 than equal tubes in SRM2s 99% of the time.)  Alternatively, devote that tonnage to something useful, like heat sinks or MLs.  Something that doesn’t stick you with a bomb that you either have to dump (and render you SRM rack useless) or spend all game trying to use up (generally meaning that you’ve still got a potential bomb in your torso at the end of the game).  I’ve never understood the Thud’s semi-legendary reputation.  It’s fine, sure.  Certainly not a *bad* mech.  But it’s got a lot of questionable design choices that make it inferior to some of its close competitors.

As to the ELH variant, well, are you playing the ELH? No?  Good luck with finding one then.  Maybe your GM will let you modify yours to replicate a variant you saw on the trivid once, but it’s not like the ELH just passes out specs to their proprietary equipment so other people can copy them.
Sunrise is Coming.

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #15 on: 19 October 2020, 13:36:52 »
Considering the difficulty in producing some of the components used by 'Mechs, having a source of supply and spare parts for more than a couple of models seems like pushing it.  I'd try to limit the planetary force to only 2-4 different types, with a fairly limited selection of weapons and equipment.  Less to be imported, if you can build one or two ammo or replacement part items on-planet.  MOST of the force would be home-built vehicles, again with a limited variety of weapon types, and a lot of infantry.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 02 November 2020, 05:36:19 »
As was mentioned, when the colony was founded, as well as by whom, and the region they're in would effect what kind of equipment they'd have to start with and salvage later on.

I'd also lean towards the more common mechs as they'd be easier to get parts from. Especially, the ones that are easy to maintain. Rarer units or units with non standard parts would end up being hanger queens. And unless your colony can fabricate parts most parts would come from salvage. That means the more compatible they are the better. If they can fabricate parts that'll help but I wouldn't go crazy with mech production.

I also wouldn't be afraid to customize, especially if there's a factory to help. Some mechs are easier to keep in their original configuration than others. Other's change over time because a needed part wasn't available, or pilot preferences. And if the colony needs all the mechs they can field, they won't hesitate to use low tech battlemechs and even frankenmechs if their techs are good enough.

Also if the colony world has industrial mechs, I wouldn't be afraid to use a few weaponized variants to supplement themilitia forces. They could also be used for parts to keep the Battlemechs running.

As far as ammo goes, I don't recall any rule that says you have to start with a full ammo bin. Ammo is also going to get shared with other units if it's in short supply. So it's okay not to be fully loaded.

wanderer25

• Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 02 November 2020, 10:15:10 »

If you want a limited number of models I'd got with the Phoenix hawk  and Thunderbolt.

The Hawk can do do anything a light mech can and is allot more durable.

The Thunderbolt is a Jack-of-all trades.

For a 3rd type I would go for either the Wolverine-6M/6R combo or the Griffin 1N/DS.

For a 4th type  the Archer 2K , fire support with close range punch !

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #18 on: 09 November 2020, 09:33:47 »
if it is as remote as indicated i'd expect the mechs to be of 'primitive' spec, as those are easier to maintain.. given the stated location of the Smoke Jag corridor, i would imagine that Combine machines might be probable. so Gladiator GLD-1R's and KY2-D-01 Kyudo's would be likely to make up the majority of their defense force. (likely cobbled together from what was originally a larger original garrison's machines)

Register