Author Topic: Battletech Missions campaign in Phoenix, AZ  (Read 9829 times)

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • I paid for my Atlas by selling action figures.
Battletech Missions campaign in Phoenix, AZ
« on: 09 October 2021, 12:51:17 »
The Catalyst Demo Team in the Phoenix area is restarting the Missions campaign that was so rudely interrupted by the pandemic. We're restarting from scratch; players from before don't need to recreate their characters and retain all advancement, but we do ask that if we're at capacity and you've played a scenario before that you step aside for someone who hasn't (and maybe offer to be an assistant GM).

Campaign Synopsis:  Similar to Shadowrun Missions, this campaign will be a series of shorter battles that string together to form a story arc. Players need not play in every game! Each battle will give participating players C-bills and XP, the amounts depending on mission success and damage taken. Spend XP and C-bills to upgrade your pilot and mech.

Campaign Rules: https://bit.ly/35WSBYB

TLDR: Just show up. Pre-generated pilots+mechs will be available.

Slightly longer summary:
    Pilot and Mech:
        You have a pilot, 15 XP, and 2.5M C-Bills
        Choose a faction for your pilot (optional, and can be done later)
        Use your XP to buy one Special Pilot Ability (optional, but recommended)
        Use your C-Bills to purchase a light mech from the list in the rules. (required)
        Get the mini for your mech and paint it (optional, but gives a small bonus to earnings)
    Games:
        Players vs GM
        Beyond six players one (experienced) player gets to be GM for a second table
        Games usually last about four hours.
    Campaign:
        At the end of each game the players get C-Bills and XP based on mission objectives completed.
        Mech destroyed or pilot killed? You earn less money or XP, respectively, but they'll be back next game.
        Miss a game or two? You don't get paid, but you join in with no penalties when you come back.
        Spend XP to upgrade pilot skill or buy a new Special Ability.
        Spend C-Bills to buy a new mech.
            Expect a minimum of 5 games in your initial ride before you upgrade.
        The CDT members will be running the same scenario each month at different stores

Locations:

Old thread from the Before Times: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/catalyst-game-labs-demo-team/battletech-missions-campaign-tempe-az/

Some extras not in the main rules:
  • Bonus for Unpainted Mini: +3 XP
  • Bonus for Painted Mini: +5 XP
  • Bonus for in-store purchase: +50,000 C-Bills
(Note that the last one isn't "buy a soda for $0.50." The GM reserves the right to set a minimum purchase amount. Be prepared to show your receipt.)
« Last Edit: 31 October 2021, 14:30:32 by Joel47 »

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
Re: Battletech Missions campaign in Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #1 on: 09 October 2021, 12:57:05 »
Mission 01-01: Pirate Defense
Shelby Drop Port, Memphis, Crucis March, Federated Suns
June 27, 3025
"Okay mechwarriors, listen up. Welcome to Memphis, a nowhere world at the far end of the Federated Suns. This part of the ‘suns is always having trouble with periphery pirates, but this time some local noble or another managed to dig up enough funds to hire us to come handle their problem for them. Fortunately for us, Memphis has a regular food shipment delivered around the end of every month, and it looks like the pirates have taken the bait. Last night at about 02:00 we got jump signature at a nearby pirate point.We expect them at the Lake Aswan drop port any minute now.Your job is simple: stop their attack, and make them regret coming here to Memphis. If you can capture one, great -- we’d love to know more about their operation. The good news? You’ve got the drop on them and have plenty of time to get into position. The bad news? These psychos look like a bunch of weirdos out of an early information age flatvid. Watch yourselves out there!"

Locations & Times:
  • The Silver Key Lounge, Sat Oct 23 at 2:00 PM
  • Games U, Sun Nov 14 at 12:00 PM
  • Imperial Outpost, Sat Oct 30 at 2:00 PM
« Last Edit: 11 October 2021, 14:13:40 by Joel47 »

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 10 October 2021, 11:36:08 »
How does running the same mission again work?  I seem to have missed you signing the page, but I have rewards and salvage from this one already, and it looks like you plan to do missions multiple times.  Not sure I'd enjoy skipping a couple months of games just to avoid replaying a scenario.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 10 October 2021, 11:49:57 »
You're welcome to replay missions, but I do ask that priority be given to players who haven't already played them. The plan is to run a new mission each month, with each being run at different locations to reduce crowding (as well as to make it easier for players in far-flung parts of the valley to attend). So the rate of new missions won't change from before, but access to them will improve.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 10 October 2021, 12:06:06 »
Oh so something like mission 2 will be done also in November?  That's definitely good,  I've missed games because I was busy that weekend.  I'm alright sitting a game out if need be; don't think I have enough experience to qualify to help GM.
Anyway my concern was more if we can get salvage more than once that seems like it'd turn into a "collect the whole set" sorta thing.

Any word on Game Depot?

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 10 October 2021, 12:27:40 »
Oh so something like mission 2 will be done also in November?
That is the plan. The holidays may make it more a "goal" at first, but we should be into a proper groove after a couple of months.

Anyway my concern was more if we can get salvage more than once that seems like it'd turn into a "collect the whole set" sorta thing.
Salvage depends on what you kill and/or objectives completed, so yes, you might get something different by playing again. The mission rewards (e.g., the improvised A-pods given for the first mission) do not stack, however. (That's a rule I just came up with, because while that particular one wouldn't be a problem, later rewards might be.)

Any word on Game Depot?
I'd love to play there, but they're still in a phased re-opening of their gaming room, keeping it empty most of the time. If/when it becomes available, I'll likely start running there again if I can twist some arms to get someone in the west valley to become a Demo Agent (allowing me to run just east/central stuff and still have a game at IO without me having to drive there).

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 11 October 2021, 13:59:44 »
Added Imperial Outpost game to the scenario post above. Sat Oct 30 @ 2pm.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 20 October 2021, 11:51:58 »
This is how sign-up will work for campaign games: I'll get there early with a sign-up sheet. Hopefully I'll get there before twelve players do.
Overflow will be directed to any available spare tables for pickup games; I'll have the previous month's scenario on me if there's a second volunteer GM.

Reasoning: An in-store sign-up sheet leaves out people who don't regularly frequent a given store, and an online sign-up sheet leaves out people walking in to the store. Having both would require some sort of synchronization which would invariably fail. While this method is a problem for someone coming from across the valley, that should be mitigated by having multiple games across the valley. It also helps solve the problem of someone who's signed up arriving just a few minutes late -- it's really annoying to give someone's slot away just as they're walking in, and it's also annoying as the GM to not know the players until the start time.

We'll see how it goes this month and revisit if necessary.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #8 on: 23 October 2021, 14:23:25 »
For the record..... upon googling directions to this Silver Key location I found out 3 things.

1.  The plaza has a Cornish Pasty location
2.  The plaza has a Korean BBQ
3.  The plaza has a Padme Massage & Wellness

All I'm saying is...... "Who doesn't like Cornish Pasties, Korean BBQ, & Massages from Padme ?!?!?!?!"

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 23 October 2021, 15:08:51 »
I've never heard of it before, but it seems to be next to the high school I went to. 

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 28 October 2021, 17:34:03 »
Mission 01-02: Pirate Defense pt 2
Memphis Supply Depot, Crucis March, Federated Suns
July 1, 3025
"Okay mechwarriors, listen up. First, I’ll start with a brief refresher, given that we’re out in the boring end of the Federated Suns. Anyway, we got hired by this local Nobleman here on Memphis to defend his planet from some highly annoying Pirates. He’s a bit of a prat, but his C-Bills are good, and the Pirates are a good enemy for us to cut our teeth on. Some of you probably remember our fight on the tarmac of Memphis’ main dropport, but it seems like another group are hell bent on a supply depot outside of town.
"Anyway, it seems like Lord Stephenson has a serious bug up his butt about this depot, and really wants to make sure that it doesn’t fall to the Pirates. If you ask me, though, there’s something funny about this depot – it’s out in the middle of nowhere, without even roads leading to it. If you ask me, given the location, it looks more like a military resupply depot than any kind of consumer goods supply.
"So while I really want to get paid, I also want to know what Stephenson is so paranoid about. So you’ve got two jobs: First, make sure the pirates don’t loot the warehouse. Second, I want you to scan what’s inside. But I don’t want you to look like you’re scanning what’s inside, if you catch my drift. Alternatively, I suppose, if the pirates were to, say, load a truckload of stuff and you were to say, capture that truck, then of course we’d have to inspect whatever was in it. You know, to make sure it wasn’t damaged. Of course, that plan’s a lot more dangerous, as if the pirates get away with the loot then we don’t get paid.
"And I hate not getting paid…
"Oh yeah – one more thing. Stephenson was really reticent to tell me about the supply depot’s location until he was absolutely sure that’s where the pirates were heading. Sadly, that means I’m gonna have to ask you to hightail it out there, and even so you’re gonna get there at pretty much the same time that the bad guys do. Eh, whatcha gonna do?"

Locations & Times:
  • The Silver Key Lounge, Sat Nov 20, 2p
  • Games U, Sun Dec 12, 1pm
  • Imperial Outpost, Sat Dec 4, 2p
« Last Edit: 08 December 2021, 21:53:18 by Joel47 »

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 19 November 2021, 21:11:19 »
I see tomorrow's game starts at 2PM.

How long does it go till?

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 19 November 2021, 21:29:33 »
Going to try and be done by 6. If we go over, it won't be by much.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 19 November 2021, 22:31:53 »
I hope my table can finish this time.  Everyone had to leave last time so we called it before managing to kill anything.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 19 November 2021, 22:46:47 »
If there's a second table, I'll be keeping a closer eye on it to make sure things keep moving.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 19 November 2021, 22:54:42 »
I don't think we got bogged down or anything.  It seemed like everything was running fine for the most part; maybe one or two indecisive moments.
We just couldn't actually manage to kill anything, and we packed it in before you were done.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 21 November 2021, 09:04:09 »
So, I was going over the record sheets I have for this campaign, and according to the tracking tables, both of the 01-01 games I was in were the exact same number of turns (6), but the first time we killed two mechs, and the second we killed nothing, so I think it's just a luck thing.

Yesterday's game did seem like it bogged down a bit, but we still manages a turn more than the 01-01 I was in.  This is the first time I've played this one, so I can't compare it to last time.  01-03 is an outlier for me at 11 turns. 

Also, for reference, is the optional rules list the same as listed in the old thread?  It's not listed here or in the emails that I saw; wanted to double check (I asked about expanded backwards movement and you said no).
« Last Edit: 21 November 2021, 09:29:56 by BirdofPrey »

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: 04 December 2021, 10:06:13 »
The second running of Missions scenario 2 is today at Imperial Outpost at 2. Can't make it? The third running will be a week from tomorrow at Games U.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: 04 December 2021, 10:08:47 »
Also, for reference, is the optional rules list the same as listed in the old thread?  It's not listed here or in the emails that I saw; wanted to double check (I asked about expanded backwards movement and you said no).
It's much shorter, the better to keep the number of exceptions manageable for new players. Floating crits, careful stand, and (I think) propping with one arm.
Edit: and sprinting + evading.
« Last Edit: 04 December 2021, 15:34:28 by Joel47 »

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 04 December 2021, 22:07:15 »
Mark that one down as a minor pirate victory -- they escaped with about 40% of the loot, leaving behind a dead PC Stinger and their own decapitated* Whitworth.

* Two PPCs, both head shots, same turn!

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 08 December 2021, 21:11:45 »
What are the details for the next game?

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: 08 December 2021, 21:35:55 »
Sunday's game info is a few posts up: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/challenges-and-gatherings/battletech-missions-campaign-in-phoenix-az/msg1776480/#msg1776480

Scenario #3 has not yet been scheduled. It will be in January, and we'll try to get it up soon.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 08 December 2021, 21:47:27 »
Okay I'm blind, I just now saw this.

The second running of Missions scenario 2 is today at Imperial Outpost at 2. Can't make it? The third running will be a week from tomorrow at Games U.

Is there a time when it will start?

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: 08 December 2021, 21:51:12 »
1pm. Sorry was on my phone and didn't see that the post I linked said TBD.
« Last Edit: 08 December 2021, 21:53:30 by Joel47 »

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: 08 December 2021, 21:55:40 »
Posting one more time because these forums don't handle mobile well and I had to edit that post several times. (By making a new post, anyone who checked immediately after getting the initial new post notification will get another, and upon reading this will see they should reread my previous post.)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 09 December 2021, 00:46:31 »
Got it,  1PM,  Games-U,  Sunday the 12th.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: 09 December 2021, 14:17:46 »
Mission #3 dates will be TBD for a while. I want to see what the combination of holidays + Omicron does to COVID numbers. Expect end of January at the earliest.

IonControl

• Recruit
« Reply #27 on: 04 February 2022, 22:38:08 »
Games U. 
1550 N Stonehenge Dr #102, Gilbert, AZ 85234
Feb 13th 1200

Mission 01-03: Pirate Hunting

Battletech Missions
Mission 01-03: Pirate Hunting
Outside of Shelby City, Memphis, Crucis March, Federated Suns
July 7, 3025

Hey boys, listen up! So we’ve had some luck defending both the Shelby Drop-Port and a
suspiciously important supply depot outside of town. We appear to have the pirates on the run.
We’re fairly confident that they have a base, or perhaps a dropship somewhere in the wilds
outside of Shelby City, but we’re not at all certain as to where.
Right now, we’ve got bigger issues, however, There’s roughly a lance of pirates making
a run for the wilds. We need you to run them down and make sure they don’t bother Memphis
anymore - regardless of any weird shenanigans that Lord Stephenson might be up to. I expect
you’ll catch up with them here at what I’m calling Grid Point Alpha.
If possible, you should let one of them escape - but make sure it’s someone at least one
of you can outrun. We’d like to shadow them back to their dropship. If that gets away, we’re just
going to see them again in a few months when they can put together another lance of
mechwarriors with their own ‘mechs and little interest in following society’s rules.

* Player Limit 9 players over 2 tables
* You can start the campaign at any point -- you don't need to have played prior missions to play in the current one.
* Pre-generated pilots+mechs will be available.
* Unit selection summary: Purchase a light mech from the list in the rules.
* Pilot skills: G4/P5. Special abilities can be purchased at the start (or you can save the XP so you can improve skills sooner).
* If we end up with too many players for a single game (6+) we'll split into two tables, with a player tapped to be GM. Being a GM earns C-bills and XP!
* Session Schedule:
1200-1230 Confirming Player characters
1230-1245 Collecting BV total from PCs and determining OPFOR
1245-1300 Mission Briefing and player setup
If you arrive after 1300, you will be drafted to be the GM (before 1330 you will get GM credit)
After 1330, we will see what we can do about getting a game going on the side.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: 14 February 2022, 10:38:32 »
Mission 01-03: Pirate Hunting (same as above post)
Silver Key Lounge (Mesa), Sat Feb 26, 2pm.
Imperial Outpost (Glendale), Sat, Mar 12 @ 2pm
« Last Edit: 14 February 2022, 12:09:04 by Joel47 »

IonControl

• Recruit
« Reply #29 on: 04 March 2022, 21:10:35 »
March 13 Noon
Games U.
1550 N. Stonehenge Drive #102
Gilbert, AZ 85233

Battletech Missions
Mission 01-04: Have fun stormin’ the castle!
July 8, 3025

Okay boys, listen up! We’ve managed to track those pirates back to their base, and it’s
not what we expected. Instead of a dropship it appears as though the pirates have been staging
out of an old star league era fort of some sort. Most of their ‘mechs have already been
destroyed, but they do still have some conventional forces, and they may still have a ‘mech or
two.
This attack is going to be at night, with the hopes of catching the pirates off guard. We’d
really like to get into that fort quickly, as we’re pretty sure from all of the evidence that we’ve
gathered so far that something funny is going on. If you can get in there fast enough, we can
hopefully prevent them from destroying all of the evidence about what they’ve been up to. Each
of your mechs will be outfitted with a special searchlight that you can use to illuminate a target.
Be careful, however, as they act like pretty powerful beacons pointing at you as well.

Other rules of note in effect:
Floating Crits, Sprinting, Careful Stand

* Player Limit 9 players over 2 tables
* You can start the campaign at any point -- you don't need to have played prior missions to play in the current one.
* Pre-generated pilots+mechs will be available.
* Unit selection summary: Purchase a light mech from the list in the rules.
* Pilot skills: G4/P5. Special abilities can be purchased at the start (or you can save the XP so you can improve skills sooner).
* If we end up with too many players for a single game (6+) we'll split into two tables, with a player tapped to be GM. Being a GM earns C-bills and XP!
* Session Schedule:
1200-1230 Confirming Player characters
1230-1245 Collecting BV total from PCs and determining OPFOR
1245-1300 Mission Briefing and player setup
If you arrive after 1300, you will be drafted to be the GM (before 1330 you will get GM credit)
After 1330, we will see what we can do about getting a game going on the side.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #30 on: 14 March 2022, 13:21:44 »
Mission 01-04 will also be played at:
  • The Silver Key Lounge (Mesa), Saturday March 26
  • Imperial Outpost (Glendale), Saturday, April 2
« Last Edit: 14 March 2022, 17:05:57 by Joel47 »

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: 08 April 2022, 11:49:51 »
Mission 01-05: In Crucis March, Castle Storms you!

July 8, 3025

Okay boys, listen up! It seems like we managed to stir up quite the hornet’s nest by getting here when we did. It looks like Duke Stephenson hired the pirates who have been plaguing this planet and then hired us to take the fall for it. Unfortunately, right now that makes us a loose end, one that his grace has decided to tie up. Remember those arms we found in his shipping container? Yeah, it looks like he’s been building up a private army of some sort, and more importantly, it looks like at least part of that private army is heading straight for you. We’ve managed to identify a small mixed unit on its way to the fortress, and the Duke has stopped answering our calls. Looks like we’ve really stepped in it this time.
Your job is simple: Hold the fortress and destroy as much of the incoming force as possible. The more of them we destroy, the less we’ll have to deal with when we go after that back-stabbing bastard. And I promise you, if there’s one thing I can’t stand, it’s an employer that voids his contract by turning on his mercs.

• Games U (Gilbert) - Sunday April 10, 12p
  • The Silver Key Lounge (Mesa) - Saturday April 23, 2p
  • Imperial Outpost (Glendale) - Saturday April 30, 2p
« Last Edit: 08 April 2022, 11:57:07 by Joel47 »

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: 05 May 2022, 18:19:46 »
Mission 01-06: Payback!

Shelby City, Memphis, Crucis March, Federated Suns
July 9, 3025

Okay boys, listen up! So if there’s one thing I really can’t stand, it’s getting double-crossed by my employer. What we know so far is that the Duke hired us to come here, ostensibly to help him with a pirate problem that the First Prince apparently wasn’t interested in solving. After fighting off the pirates we followed them to their hideout, where we were able to put together that they weren’t actually pirates, but instead another mercenary company hired by the duke to raid his own planet!
From what we can tell, it seems that the Duke is making some sort of power play. It’s a bit of an open secret that the more remote provinces of the Federated Suns have long held to the notion that they’re not held in particularly high regard by New Avalon. Our guess is that Duke Stephenson is hoping to put together a coalition of other disgruntled backwater worlds. His first step is to make the First Prince look ineffectual at defending them while making his (and presumably neighboring) worlds look endangered. Then he makes it look like he’s got what he needs to defend them. Only problem is that he hired the wrong Mercs…
Speaking of which - Because he tried to kill us last night, we’re no longer bound by our contract. Also, because he tried to kill us last night, we’ve got a score to settle. I want you guys to go get him to prove that double crossing us is a bad idea. The duke is in Shelby City, roughly here at grid point Beta. Go get him! We’re fairly confident that if you can bring him in alive there will be a big reward from the First Prince - he’s not known for being terribly friendly towards traitors.

• The Silver Key Lounge (Mesa) - Saturday May 21, 2p
  • Imperial Outpost (Glendale) - Saturday June 4, 2p
  • Games U (Gilbert) - Sunday June 12, 12p
« Last Edit: 08 May 2022, 19:00:17 by Joel47 »

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 12 June 2022, 00:02:47 »
  • Games U (Gilbert) - Sunday June 12, 12p

Finally!  A weekend I'm not occupied,  Hope to see you there!

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #34 on: 01 July 2022, 19:35:38 »
Taking a break until August.

While you wait, players will want to rebuild their characters in accordance with the new rules. Keep everything you've earned, but remove all your skill improvements and SPAs. Use your XP to buy them again using the new rules.

The new rules: https://app.box.com/s/sv4u402mw67y10hpqczo7zvu9ozcqj65

Also, I'll be running a non-campaign game 2pm on July 23 at Imperial Outpost.
Scenario: https://mailchi.mp/068884c04517/battletech-king-of-the-hill-imperial-outpost-july-23-2pm

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 12 July 2022, 12:00:13 »
Questions about the new rules

#1.
Why is the 45 point Fed Suns ability clearly worse than the 30 point Medium Mech ability?

#2.
What is the point of the 15-30-45 point "chains" if the rules state that every level still counts as a different special ability?
So you have to buy the lower abilities, the upper abilities cost 2-3x as much & the abilities themselves seem very questionable in value.

#3.
Why are the Faction Ability "chains" exempt from the special ability limits.
I get why they were originally but it just seems odd that this chain is all 1 ability but the others are not.

#4. 
Why are the 4 "melee" abilities all different abilities but stuff like Edge/Luck/Saboteur get to be purchased 3x as a single ability?

#5.
Why are the Edge/Luck/Saboteur abilities allowed to be multiple purchases w/o being increasing price or counting as separate abilities.

#6A/B
Why does FS Faction 15 ability has no use for multiple people on a side to have?
Why does FS Faction ability have no use if you have a FS player on each team?

Comment:
From what I can see the abilities do NOT seem well balanced against each other in price or in streamlined rules.
As it stands now the 45 point abilities have Near Zero use since they are a separate ability.  Other than the Factional 45.

Suggestions:
Redo the special ability rules to create more "groups" of similar abilities.
Allow a "group" to be a single special ability tree & working through the tree is a single "special ability" for the limits.
For the FS ability at 15, I'd change it to be a re-roll of initiative each game to account for multiple players on a side &/or on each side.
« Last Edit: 12 July 2022, 12:07:02 by Hellraiser »

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #36 on: 12 July 2022, 16:34:28 »
Give it time. While it's still in beta, a lot of this stuff has been playtested by the Missions team. There are a number of things whose balance isn't immediately apparent. Additionally, a number of abilities are in there to be "cool" rather than "powerful" -- some players are treating it more like an RPG, and are willing to trade off power for flavor.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 15 July 2022, 23:45:29 »
I hear you.

I didn't try to break down the balance of every faction/special ability in terms of power.

I'm just noting the things that are jumping out at me as "one of these things is not like the others" cases.

The ones I noted above don't seem to be balanced at all.  I'm all for "cool" but I'd like balance & equality too.

The fact that I'm a FedSuns player & I see a few blatant imbalances in the 15 & 45 point abilities is also maybe a little annoying.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #38 on: 16 July 2022, 13:41:06 »
Found another one that needs clarity or else is broken/gimped compared to the others in terms of balance.

Light ‘mech master (30 XP): While running in a light ‘mech..........etc
Medium ‘mech master (30 XP): While piloting a medium ‘mech..........etc
Heavy Mech Master (30 XP): If you are piloting a heavy ‘mech .......etc
Assault Mech Master (30XP): While piloting an assault ‘mech.......etc

Is this just an example of bad wording/editing, or do they really mean to Gimp the Light Mech ability to only be the RUN action & not when Walking/Jumping compared to the other 3 sizes that use their abilities all the time?

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #39 on: 05 August 2022, 14:14:13 »
Is this just an example of bad wording/editing, or do they really mean to Gimp the Light Mech ability to only be the RUN action & not when Walking/Jumping compared to the other 3 sizes that use their abilities all the time?
The latter. I'm not the author, but IIRC correctly that ability was thought to be more powerful than the others. Adding it to jump, especially, would reproduce the issue with the original (massively OP) Jumping Jack.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #40 on: 05 August 2022, 14:22:02 »
SEASON 2 BEGINS!

Important: The campaign rules have been updated! There has been a significant re-write of the skill system. If you're using a continuing pilot, "unspend" all your XP and spend it again according to the new rules. Leave your C-bills alone -- you keep all your earnings and mech(s).

New Missions Rules: https://app.box.com/s/sv4u402mw67y10hpqczo7zvu9ozcqj65

Mission 02-01: "Pull!"
Locations and Dates:
  • The Silver Key Lounge in Mesa - Sat, Aug 27 @ 2pm
  • Imperial Outpost in Glendale - Sat, Sept 3 @ 2pm
  • Games U in Gilbert - Sunday, Sept 11 @ noon (scenario TBD - might not be Missions)

Mission 02-02: "Where da White Witches at?"
Locations and Dates:
  • Athoria Games Tempe (new store!) - Sat, Sept 17 @ 2pm

A note on venues: We have a Shadowrun demo agent adding Battletech to his portfolio, so the plan is for him to take over running demos at Silver Key while I switch to Athoria Tempe (which is in Game Depot's old location).

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 05 August 2022, 21:05:50 »
Leave your C-bills alone -- you keep all your earnings and mech(s).

Ugh, seriously? 
They changed all the house/faction abilities but we are still stuck w/ them?
The build concept I was working on is not possible now.
I was planning on rebuilding from scratch using a new faction/mech.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #42 on: 05 August 2022, 21:09:52 »
A note on venues: We have a Shadowrun demo agent adding Battletech to his portfolio, so the plan is for him to take over running demos at Silver Key while I switch to Athoria Tempe (which is in Game Depot's old location).

1.  I'm sure the answer is 6th but do you know for sure what Edition they demo?

2.  I had no idea someone was there, when I went by a couple months ago it was vacant.  Good to know.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #43 on: 09 August 2022, 11:15:38 »
I don't know, but I've asked; I'll let you know.

2.  I had no idea someone was there, when I went by a couple months ago it was vacant.  Good to know.
They had a soft opening recently and are open for business. They're still stocking up -- the official "grand opening" is in October.
https://www.athoriagamestempe.com/home

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #44 on: 19 August 2022, 12:42:13 »

6E Shadowrun Missions, 2nd & 4th Sunday of every month. Next session is the 28th, and there will be pre-gens available.

Dustnite

• Recruit
« Reply #45 on: 19 August 2022, 19:50:28 »
Hi, I'm the Shadowrun Demo Agent running at Silver Key! Let me know if you have any questions.
Bryan G - CDT Agent #931

Play Shadowrun 6E - Silver Key Lounge 2nd and 4th Sundays at 12PM.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #46 on: 05 September 2022, 02:21:39 »
Mission 02-01: "Pull!"
Locations and Dates:
  • Games U in Gilbert - Sunday, Sept 11 @ noon (scenario TBD - might not be Missions)

Hi, I'm the Shadowrun Demo Agent running at Silver Key! Let me know if you have any questions.

1.  Has there been any confirmation on what kind of game will be on the 11th?   Mission 2.1 or something else?

2.  Any idea on when & what types of BT Dustnite will be running for BT at Silverkey?     Missions Campaign?  Other?

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #47 on: 05 September 2022, 11:11:49 »
1.  Has there been any confirmation on what kind of game will be on the 11th?   Mission 2.1 or something else?
Ian is running an Alpha Strike demo that day. He's working on a clan invasion campaign, but it's been going a little slowly.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #48 on: 08 September 2022, 15:42:48 »
Locations and Dates:
  • Imperial Outpost in Glendale - Sat, Oct 1 @ 2pm

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #49 on: 24 September 2022, 22:06:56 »
Locations and Dates:
  • Imperial Outpost in Glendale - Sat, Oct 1 @ 2pm

Anything on the books yet for any of the 4 locations after this coming Saturday?

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #50 on: 24 September 2022, 22:10:14 »
Not yet, but I'm hoping to get them scheduled next week.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #51 on: 29 September 2022, 18:49:06 »
Mission 02-03: "Hold the Line!"
Locations and Dates:
  • Imperial Outpost in Glendale - Sat, Oct 15 @ 2pm
  • Athoria Games Tempe - Sat, Oct 29 @ 2pm

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #52 on: 31 October 2022, 18:59:11 »
Mission 02-04: "Stubensville Side Story"
Locations and Dates:
  • Imperial Outpost in Glendale - Sat, Nov 12 @ 2pm
  • Athoria Games Tempe - Sat, Nov 19 @ 2pm

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #53 on: 05 November 2022, 11:05:46 »
Ooo, Back to back games.

I doubt I'll be up for next Saturday, as I came down w/ Covid this week.

Hopefully be good to go for the 19th.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #54 on: 25 November 2022, 17:32:04 »
No Missions in December. However, I'll be running a few one-shot scenarios:

White Elephant Gift Exchange at  Imperial Outpost in Glendale - Sat, Dec 10 @ 2pm
The term "White Elephant" is derived from a past practice of the kings of what is now Thailand. When annoyed with someone, they would give them a white elephant. No one would give away a gift from the king, but its upkeep would ruin them. In modern English the term is used to mean an expensive, useless gift. In the world of Battletech, we're using this as a way to play any battlemech you want... but you have to give a more expensive mech to the enemy!
Scenario Link

King of the Hill at Athoria Games Tempe - Sat, Dec 17 @ 2pm
On Solaris VII, Arms dealers compete to have their new 'mechs be the first to the top of a small mountain, holding it against all comers.
Scenario Link

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #55 on: 09 December 2022, 18:36:43 »
Tomorrow's White Elephant game at Imperial Outpost is canceled; I'll try again in January.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #56 on: 15 December 2022, 11:42:16 »
Saturday's King of the Hill game at Athoria is canceled; campaign games are planned to resume in January.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #57 on: 15 December 2022, 15:24:59 »
Oh damn, this means you actually got sick then? :(

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #58 on: 12 January 2023, 11:41:36 »
Mission 02-06: "GET TO THE CHOPPA!"
Locations and Dates:

Athoria Games Tempe - Sat, Jan 21 @ 2pm
    Imperial Outpost in Glendale - Sat, Jan 28 @ 2pm

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #59 on: 21 January 2023, 12:23:09 »

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #60 on: 21 January 2023, 12:41:17 »
The scenario should probably be renamed to, "GET TO THE DROPPA!" (because it's a dropship), but then some people might miss the reference.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #61 on: 11 March 2023, 16:48:27 »
Arizona was left out of the launch parties, so I'm throwing an unofficial one.

Imperial Outpost in Glendale - Sat, March 25 @ 2pm

We'll play the "White Elephant Gift Exchange" scenario from December that I had to cancel.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant

Register