Author Topic: Security Robots  (Read 2282 times)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Security Robots
« on: 15 February 2014, 15:38:04 »
Hello

I have question regarding the old Security Robots found in original Mechwarrior 1st Edition RPG system and also found in The Kell Hounds sourcebook. There is mentions in ATOW regarding robots, but only scant references.

Is ATOW going to handle or convert these types of infantry scale lost tech machines for use in newer systems?

Sincerely,
Wrangler
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Re: Security Robots
« Reply #1 on: 16 February 2014, 01:29:43 »
Hi,

Those robots you refer to, detailed on pp. 50-51 of MechWarrior (First Edition), were are vehicle-sized, actually, not infantry-sized robots. The stats given on those pages put the smallest one as a 6-ton hover vehicle.

(Strangely enough, industrial exoskeletons were listed under the Robotic header, but clearly described themselves as human-worn, not human-free automatons.)

So, to answer the question of "will we ever handle these", for the most part, we already have. Robotics rules have previously been covered in at least one of the Interstellar Players books, and in Jihad Hot Spots: Terra.

Thanks,

- Herb

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #2 on: 16 February 2014, 12:12:57 »
Hi Herb

Thank you for answering my question.  I didn't know if the Kell Hounds source version of the Security Robot was same as former.  The description of it that it was inside a security facility that couldn't fit mechs.   So modern rules fall under the Drones, not handle differently then.  I was trying find them in the ATOW books since there were used in a RPG setting.

Thank you for your help!

Sincerely,
Wrangler
« Last Edit: 16 February 2014, 15:03:13 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #3 on: 16 February 2014, 15:01:24 »
Hi,

I do not presently have access to the Kell Hounds book, so I cannot comment at this time.

- Herb

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #4 on: 16 February 2014, 15:03:34 »
Understood, thank you again.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #5 on: 21 February 2014, 13:46:53 »
Hi,

Follow up: Looking over the Kell Hound sourcebook now (p. 57, KHSB), those robotics are really dumb drones, like Roomba-level dumb. It's basically a slow-rolling turret (the image shows us something that looks like the family robot from Lost in Space, but with tracks and MGs in place of wheels and flailing claw arms) with the physical strength of a BOD 7 character, but the rules are slightly confusing as they reference 'Mech rules, rather than personal combat rules.

Given the slow rate of speed, physical resilience, and the abilities involved, they would be all but immobile units on a tactical map (you need about 10 meters per turn or more to register as even 1 MP on the tactical map; 2 meters is just too slow) even though they're technically motorized. They would only be able to sustain 1 point per drone (a 7 BOD does nothing in the conversion rules). We lack info on the weight of these robots, so we don't really know how much cargo space they'd occupy, but a single motorized trooper is 0.21 tons in TechManual, so we can start there. The only benefit they have is that each carries 2 support MGs and we'll ignore the crew requirements here (adding another 0.088 tons per drone, by the way), so a platoon of them would have impressive damage potential (1.88 damage per drone, to max range of 6), but they'd also be at Green level experience (the KHSB rules gave us only a Gunnery of 6). This gives us....

28 drones, 53 damage at max (Range: 2/4/6)*, 0 MP (Motorized)**, Cargo weight: 8.5 tons (estimating 298 kg per drone x 28 = 8,344 kg, round up to 8.5 tons)

*Gains Heavy Burst ability: +1D6 vs conventional infantry and -1 to-hit at hex 0.
**If feeling charitable, we can call this maybe 0.2 MP, enabling the units to move to a new hex once every 5 turns, but no better than that.

Oh, and with a Gunnery Skill of 6 to attack (TNs are 3 at hex 0; 6 at hexes 1-2; 8 at 3-4 hexes; 10 at 5-6 hexes), no ability to engage in anti-Mech actions, and sustaining damage as a conventional infantry formation...they basically equate to anti-infantry pillboxes that are only a threat if you meander too close to them.

Thanks,

- Herb

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #6 on: 21 February 2014, 23:16:30 »
ah!  That's what I was hoping to find out since looking at it was confusing how it would work to me in ATOW.  Now that I know, I could run something wit them in scenario!  Thanks again, Herb!