Author Topic: ComGuard in Dark Age and beyond?  (Read 2265 times)

Squeesidhe

• Private
ComGuard in Dark Age and beyond?
« on: 27 March 2015, 16:57:06 »
I'm trying to pick my Battletech faction but I'm running into some trouble. Maybe someone in the know can help me out.

I'm leaning toward ComStar, as I like their background, Word Of Blake ties and simple color scheme.

Problem is, I'd like to "future proof" my forces by picking something that doesn't disappear after a certain era, and from what I understand the ComGuard was disbanded following the Jihad (understandably).

That makes sense for the lore, but poses problems for me as a collector. How do I do an expandable force that can grow along with future story developments if the force in question doesn't exist any more?

So here's the question: are there any developments in the Dark Age or beyond that would allow for a new ComGuard? I had heard some murmurs about a potential secret ComGuard army. Is this solid enough to base a miniature collection around?

Or would it be safe to assume that, with the fall of the HPG network, ComStar would feel emboldened to throw off some of its post-Jihad shackles and start beefing up militarily again?

Any thoughts or insight would be appreciated.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Re: ComGuard in Dark Age and beyond?
« Reply #1 on: 27 March 2015, 17:44:05 »
Hi,

We have not progressed beyond the Dark Age, and as of that point, the Com Guards have not truly resurfaced as an entity. ComStar was publicly demilitarized post-Jihad. There was an effort to raise a new army in secret, but it was exposed and presumably busted.

-

Squeesidhe

• Private
« Reply #2 on: 27 March 2015, 19:00:12 »
Thanks for the quick reply.

Since the Dark Ages are presumably still being written as we speak, may I humbly make the case for future ComGuards?

1. With the universe still presumably in disarray, it makes thematic sense for ComStar to slip its leash. In fact, some parties might actual appreciate the stability that an organization with long experience in advanced military affairs might bring.

2. ComStar is presumably still sneaky, especially with Word of Blake elements returned to the fold. And they still presumably have designs on Earth.

3. From a collector's standpoint, future ComStar is also our chance to carry Word of Blake into the Dark Ages and beyond. Of course they aren't Word of Blake any more. But a ComGuard lance with Celestial Series OmniMechs? That would just make sense.

4. Some of us need those simple white paint schemes. :)

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #3 on: 27 March 2015, 21:03:59 »
Sorry, I'm afraid we cannot accept or use unsolicited story ideas and game material. Furthermore, the plots and developments of the story are actually determined in-house well in advance.

That being said...

1. ComStar did slip its leash in the Dark Age (as indicated above); the Republic was able to slap them down again even in their weakened state, so far as we know.

2. ComStar would never stop being sneaky if it tried. But, frankly, nobody in the universe is capable of being anything BUT duplicitous and deceitful, so that just makes them normal.

3. Word of Blake is missing, as far as anyone knows. (But how MANY went missing only the upper leadership of the various Jihad-era allies, for fear of panic.) ComStar's disbanded military would have scrapped any Celestials, and the remainder captured at large were largely scrapped by the Republic or dismantled as a show of solidarity against the evils the WoB represented. Some spiritual successor designs appeared in the years since, but seeing a Celestial in the Dark Age means someone opted to keep a Mech captured in the Jihad despite the severe stigma that came with it. (Either way, neither the Com Guards nor the Word of Blake operate openly in the Dark Age, so large armies of either would be a complete scandal.)

4. There are other factions that have white schemes. Many DCMS regiments, for instance, use color schemes that are almost all white.

-

Squeesidhe

• Private
« Reply #4 on: 28 March 2015, 00:24:10 »
Hmmm. Well maybe I'll have to make up a pirate faction or something, sounds like the ComGuard idea is a no-go. Too bad.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm feeling a bit stuck... the Jihad is over, but we don't know much about the Dark Age, so there's not much lore or information to go on for creating "modern" battle forces. Unless maybe there's a good era guide you can recommend.

I'm assuming the Celestial technology was carried forward by the victors, even if the original designs were scrapped? After all, when we defeated the Nazis we didn't smash their rockets into scrap, we took them, and used them to go to the moon (and other things).

Knightmare

• BattleTech Developer
  • System Admin
  • Warrant Officer
  • Wrench'in it
    • BattleTech.com
« Reply #5 on: 28 March 2015, 15:11:45 »
The following books cover the period after the Jihad and Dark Age (in addition to  the original WizKids novels).

Field Manual:3085
Historical: Wars of the Republic Era
Era Digest: Dark Age
Era Report: 3145
Field Manual: 3145
TRO: 3145
TRO: Prototypes

There are also a number of Dark Age Turning Points highlighting playable scenarios from the era. These books can be found on BattleCorps for purchase. http://battlecorps.com

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: 28 March 2015, 16:21:31 by Knightmare »
BeemerCon Summarized. Knightmare, end of turn: "How come none of my weapons fired?"
Look, dude, when you are a real mechwarrior you don't need to get all dressed up in cooling suits and cool helmets to work on your mech. You just strip down to your 1980s panties and crop top vest and start wrenchin' it.
Yen Lo Wang = David Lo Pan

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #6 on: 28 March 2015, 16:02:17 »
You forgot Era Report: 3145.

Knightmare

• BattleTech Developer
  • System Admin
  • Warrant Officer
  • Wrench'in it
    • BattleTech.com
« Reply #7 on: 28 March 2015, 16:21:49 »
Thanks Rooster!
BeemerCon Summarized. Knightmare, end of turn: "How come none of my weapons fired?"
Look, dude, when you are a real mechwarrior you don't need to get all dressed up in cooling suits and cool helmets to work on your mech. You just strip down to your 1980s panties and crop top vest and start wrenchin' it.
Yen Lo Wang = David Lo Pan