Author Topic: Martlet Light Attack VTOL  (Read 1388 times)

Retry

• Lieutenant
Martlet Light Attack VTOL
« on: 20 October 2019, 15:04:05 »
No real fluff here.  Just another VTOL with a Chin Turret to flesh out the Inner Sphere.  This one's a lot lighter than most VTOLs.

Code: [Select]
Martlet Light Attack VTOL (3060)
Mass: 15 tons
Movement Type: VTOL
Power Plant: 70 Fusion
Cruising Speed: 118.8 kph
Maximum Speed: 183.6 kph
Armor: Heavy Ferro-Fibrous
Armament:
     1 Small Pulse Laser
     3 Medium Laser
Communication System: Unknown
Targeting & Tracking System: Unknown
Introduction Year: 3060
Tech Rating/Availability: E/X-X-F-D
Cost: 499,500 C-bills
Type: Martlet Light Attack VTOL
Technology Base: Inner Sphere (Experimental)
Tonnage: 15
Battle Value: 501
Equipment Mass
Internal Structure 1.5
Engine 70 Fusion 3
     Cruising MP: 11
     Flanking MP: 17
Heat Sinks: 11 1
Control Equipment: 1
Lift Equipment: 1.5
Power Amplifier: 0
Turret: 0.5
Armor Factor (Heavy Ferro): 29 1.5
Internal
Structure Armor
Value
Front 2 6
R/L Side 2/2 5/5
Rear 2 5
Rotor 2 2
Turret 2 6
Weapons
and Ammo Location Critical Tonnage
Small Pulse Laser Turret 1 1
3 Medium Lasers Turret 3 3

Variants:
(Standard): First model produced in 2650.  Has 1.5 tons standard armor in a front/side/turret/rear profile of 5/4/5/4, and an armament of 4 medium lasers in a chin turret.  BV 576, C-Bills 504,750.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Martlet Light Attack VTOL
« Reply #1 on: 21 October 2019, 10:52:55 »
decent speed, good engine, the pulse makes sense vs. infantry stands and other VTOLs, and good choice on the 3 ML's for the turret.  probably be a decent VTOL pursuer unit, able to get into any Canon chopper's side or rear arc for unmolested pain-administration.

I'd say this one's got potential as a Donar-killer, or hunter of other choppers.  Not sure about it's use against 'mechs or tanks, espl. those tanks that decide to park, fort-up and let the crits fall on their tracks as semi-mobile pillbox bunkers, and it might have some real problems against fast Omnimechs with a spready weapons fit.  not advised for getting too close to anything over about 35 tons or so unless it's got remarkably weak rear armor and can't flip arms.  (Should do okay against a Panther or similar slower light or thinner-skinned medium though.)

yeah, Retry, I'm going to shock you by saying this is a good design that makes sense for the faction and doesn't have anything goofy, 'off' or seriously ill considered. This is doing a sub-20 ton design for a VTOL the right way.  No glaring special weaknesses, not overpowered, excels at a couple of roles, good work, no complaints.

It might not have the throw-weight, but it's a better thought out design than your Warrior C, by a fairly decent margin-it's doing a job that doesn't have a lot of competitors, and it's likely to do it well.

sincere compliments on this one.  Not that you would care.

now for the bad news...

THIS is a design I could see the Clans bothering to salvage, update, and produce for themselves.  They'd have to alter or lose some of the weapons to keep under 10 heat sinks, but, it's got a good payoff for doing that since Clantech weapons do more damage on energy builds than Inner Sphere, at longer ranges, and the fit still works, plus the wider engagement envelope means slashing passes are a real thing, making the in-built speed even MORE effective at evading incoming fire.  it's a true harassment platform with a clan fit- basically dropping one of the ML's for a pair of CERML's, with the SPL and a couple heat sinks. (probably can make it up with tonnage from losing one of the ML's and converting the ISSPL to a CSPL, I don't have my book here to check tonnages...)

but easily this could be a nasty circle-strafer or light 'mech/scout vehicle hunter.

« Last Edit: 21 October 2019, 11:01:29 by Cannonshop »
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

DOC_Agren

• Major
Re: Martlet Light Attack VTOL
« Reply #2 on: 21 October 2019, 19:16:50 »
I kinda like
what about dropping 2 ML for a ER ML in the turret and then 2 RL10 F to give it a bit longer reach.
Other idea would have 2 ER ML and MG + .5 ton in the turret and then 2 RL10 F
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"