Author Topic: The Missed Opportunity: Talos Battlemech Question  (Read 1161 times)

LAMFAN

• Corporal
  • Powered by LAM Autism
The Missed Opportunity: Talos Battlemech Question
« on: 20 March 2024, 12:39:40 »

So after looking into it, I've discovered the Talos, a homegrown Medium Battlemech of the Taurian Concordat. From its simplistic design to entirely Ammo-based weaponry,  its relatively inexpensive to make and field.....and unfortunately went out of production after the Reunification War (may the Star League rot for its sins). Which is a shame, because its uniquely dependant on ammo with no energy weapons, and feels more RAW as a result.

Now, I have lore questions about this Mech (and to a lesser extent, the Toro). Are there any places that continued production of the Mech afterward? Or is there any possibility that they still kept producing it, or that some other periphery planets or Manufacturing companies could have factories that produce the mech?

Or would that be a bit of a stretch given its short existence?

Finally, anyone else out there share a love for this walking ammo-bin? Personally I'm planning on grabbing some IWM models for a lance.
"It's called the Death Basket, because I'm riding this coffin all the way to Hell!"

CEO of Hamric Industries and Hamric's Hammers Mercenary Unit

Want to play with Air Mech's without the extra Battlemech/ASF mode of LAMs? Try Air-Slip Mechs!
AIR-SLIP MECH: LORE AND RULES

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
Re: The Missed Opportunity: Talos Battlemech Question
« Reply #1 on: 20 March 2024, 12:51:03 »
i also love the talos so it brings me no pleasure to deliver this news

Now, I have lore questions about this Mech (and to a lesser extent, the Toro). Are there any places that continued production of the Mech afterward?

Talos no, Toro yes (32nd century upgrades appeared in Shrapnel #10). the primitive version was extinct from 2570 to the jihad. the introtech version hung on until the end of the star league and was revived sometime after 3100.

Or is there any possibility that they still kept producing it, or that some other periphery planets or Manufacturing companies could have factories that produce the mech?

no. any such production would be fanon for an AU or personal campaign. In-universe it's been dead for four centuries.
« Last Edit: 20 March 2024, 12:56:00 by Sartris »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

LAMFAN

• Corporal
  • Powered by LAM Autism
« Reply #2 on: 20 March 2024, 12:56:24 »
i also love the talos so it brings me no pleasure to deliver this news

Talos no, Toro yes (32nd century upgrades appeared in Shrapnel #10)

no. any such production would be fanon for an AU or personal campaign. In-universe it's been dead for four centuries.

Thank you for the news friend. Sad as it is. :cry:

I wonder why the Toro was resurrected and not the Talos?

Guess that gives me free leway to ressurect it using Hamric Industries then.
"It's called the Death Basket, because I'm riding this coffin all the way to Hell!"

Want to play with Air Mech's without the extra Battlemech/ASF mode of LAMs? Try Air-Slip Mechs!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #3 on: 20 March 2024, 12:59:54 »
it's a very boring answer: the toro was a primitive in TRO 3075. the jihad material that put the toro and its primitive brethren back into production was published before Historical: Reunification War

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #4 on: 22 March 2024, 11:00:06 »
It is sad she's not been brought back. I was hoping the CP would bring it back . Such a good trooper for the small periphery power.
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #5 on: 22 March 2024, 15:55:31 »
it's a very boring answer: the toro was a primitive in TRO 3075. the jihad material that put the toro and its primitive brethren back into production was published before Historical: Reunification War
in universe, i suspect that part of it was the Toro being the in universe more iconic mech. the Toro held cult status within the Concordat's post star league history, so it would have been their first thought when they went looking for a retrotech design to produce in the mid 3070's to augment their mech production industry. (and they were building it at 3 different sites) the Talos, being non-primitive, wasn't really going to be on their radar.

(to be honest, i sometimes wonder where the Davions go the Toro plans for the two sites they set up around the same time. neither was near Taurian space so industrial espionage seems unlikely in a time of uncertain hpg comms.)

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 22 March 2024, 22:04:10 »
in universe, i suspect that part of it was the Toro being the in universe more iconic mech. the Toro held cult status within the Concordat's post star league history, so it would have been their first thought when they went looking for a retrotech design to produce in the mid 3070's to augment their mech production industry. (and they were building it at 3 different sites) the Talos, being non-primitive, wasn't really going to be on their radar.

(to be honest, i sometimes wonder where the Davions go the Toro plans for the two sites they set up around the same time. neither was near Taurian space so industrial espionage seems unlikely in a time of uncertain hpg comms.)

it's entirely possiable, likely even, some of the taurian worlds annexed by the FedSuns as a result of the reunification war had been Toro production sites at a time
The Suns will shine again

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #7 on: 22 March 2024, 22:40:35 »
as of 3075 the FS had active one primitive toro site

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #8 on: 23 March 2024, 01:20:31 »
two i thought. you had Iroquois machery Limited on Shawnee, and Coalition Armory Inc. on Filtvelt. Technically that latter isn't Davion during and after the Jihad, but it was a Davion world right up to 3072.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #9 on: 23 March 2024, 11:09:17 »
the filtvelt line wasn't active until sometime after 3075

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #10 on: 23 March 2024, 13:02:46 »
It's a good mech, an old assembly line from some secret RWR facility could easily turn up on some lost world on the outskirts and the Taurus could get it that way or someone could find it and sell them the design again for a price. price
And then the Taurians or that other one make a design with updated weapons and tech in an ATOW Chronicle that I directed happened that

LAMFAN

• Corporal
  • Powered by LAM Autism
« Reply #11 on: 26 March 2024, 11:44:54 »

That's very fair, though very sad too.

It's a good mech, an old assembly line from some secret RWR facility could easily turn up on some lost world on the outskirts and the Taurus could get it that way or someone could find it and sell them the design again for a price. price
And then the Taurians or that other one make a design with updated weapons and tech in an ATOW Chronicle that I directed happened that
I'm actually doing some brain storming with that, since I have my own little slice of lore near the SoutWest of the IS, including the Lothian League and Huntington in the FWL. Say that a manufacturing company purchased the rights to the Talos and made a factory on their home world, but would sell them back to the TC at a discount during the period leading up to the Amaris Coup and after?

On the other hand, Lothian League was settled by Taurian patriots fleeing the Star League. Would a periphery world have ANY chance of setting up a factory in such a case, if some of the lead designers from Vandenberg MilTech decided to flee the TC after the reunification war and the destruction of the original factory? Would there be a plausible way for that to work, or would that require a hell of a stretch?

Jeyar123

• Corporal
« Reply #12 on: 26 March 2024, 17:54:32 »
So THAT what was in those old armored crates in the caves above Landing City....😀

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 28 March 2024, 23:56:06 »
Talos no,
The Talos strangely enough appears in RATs for the Liberation of Terra, leading me to suspect some sort of low rate production somewhere.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #14 on: 29 March 2024, 04:41:56 »
That's very fair, though very sad too.
I'm actually doing some brain storming with that, since I have my own little slice of lore near the SoutWest of the IS, including the Lothian League and Huntington in the FWL. Say that a manufacturing company purchased the rights to the Talos and made a factory on their home world, but would sell them back to the TC at a discount during the period leading up to the Amaris Coup and after?

On the other hand, Lothian League was settled by Taurian patriots fleeing the Star League. Would a periphery world have ANY chance of setting up a factory in such a case, if some of the lead designers from Vandenberg MilTech decided to flee the TC after the reunification war and the destruction of the original factory? Would there be a plausible way for that to work, or would that require a hell of a stretch?

Although those worlds were technologically backward at the time of the Reunification Wars, there is always the possibility
In my ATOW Chronicle in an old RWR Depot/Training Base The Hegemony finds some disassembled lines that were waiting to be moved somewhere, but a virus outbreak killed the entire garrison, the place was cleaned out and the lines were removed. There were the Talos blueprints and a couple of more common mechs, something similar could happen for you or in the official fluff the RWR Guys had their fingers in too many places

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 01 April 2024, 08:16:39 »
If it was ever to be brought back by TPTB the Lothian League might be a good place to do it, historical ties to the Taurian Concordat and a good first mech for the nation to build.

Starfury

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #16 on: 02 April 2024, 20:21:16 »
The Taurians could bring the Talos back, but given the popularity and availability of the Centurion, there isn't much need to other then another symbol of Taurian revitalization.  The Marshal and the 55 ton trio have also replaced it. I could perhaps see an Omni Talos made in the late 3150s after the Taurians reverse engineer Omnimech technology.

Jeyar123

• Corporal
« Reply #17 on: 02 April 2024, 23:50:08 »
Since it was so numerous at one time, is there any chance with the SL packrat tendency and clans repurposing history, that eventually there is a Talos IIC?

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 03 April 2024, 04:30:51 »
Since it was so numerous at one time, is there any chance with the SL packrat tendency and clans repurposing history, that eventually there is a Talos IIC?

...there any chance that the clans who are OBSSED with the legacy of the Star League will adopt a design mostly famous for fighting for the other side during the reunification war?

proably not.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #19 on: 03 April 2024, 05:53:34 »
If they wanted to resurrect the Talos, the potential salvagers could be
Taurian Concordat
Fronc Reaches
Marian Hegemony
Lothian League
and remotely the Rim Territories if they manage to find a Cache Brian from the RWR

Starfury

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #20 on: 03 April 2024, 21:36:04 »
And the Calderon Protectorate

Garagegamer

• Recruit
« Reply #21 on: 08 April 2024, 08:47:15 »
Like all people say it could be in a collectors vay somewhere. But that being said there's hundreds of designs probably not being used or will not be used for awhile from my understanding. 
I agree I really want them to take old designs and make new ones. I also feel they could make new designs or simply make the Talos 2 introduce then as newer designs within cannon.
Another note they could run the old Star League era a prequel era. I personally think going back the the reunification would be a good idea 💡 because it would bring lots of old mech designs like the Talos back into to the fold without a lot of effort.

jgodwin17

• Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 08 April 2024, 19:45:53 »
I'm a really big fan of the Talos design, I like the miniature for it too. With the potential reunification of the Taurian Concordat and the Calderon Protectorate I think it would be really cool to be a "reunion" project for them to make a new version of the Talos with upgraded tech.

I also like Starfury's idea of a an omni-Talos. The Taurians are now getting a couple omnis from the Foxes and some of the older IS ones, and they have a pretty advanced tech base for a periphery nation, manufacturing specialty armor and what not. It would be kind of cool thing to have it be the first Periphery produced omni.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #23 on: 09 April 2024, 04:50:00 »
I'm a really big fan of the Talos design, I like the miniature for it too. With the potential reunification of the Taurian Concordat and the Calderon Protectorate I think it would be really cool to be a "reunion" project for them to make a new version of the Talos with upgraded tech.

I also like Starfury's idea of a an omni-Talos. The Taurians are now getting a couple omnis from the Foxes and some of the older IS ones, and they have a pretty advanced tech base for a periphery nation, manufacturing specialty armor and what not. It would be kind of cool thing to have it be the first Periphery produced omni.

Second if we count the Gun as Peripheral

Marveryn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: 09 April 2024, 05:40:56 »
one thing to remember leading up to the fall of the star league the periphery were secretly building up their armor and that lead to the flair up that cause Kerensky to send troops to the border.  It would not be that far fetch early on for the taurian to set up a mech factory in one of their colonies planet that star league may not be aware of and created a secret factories to ship war supplies to the rebels only for the later part of the war for those factories to be demolish by the star league forces during the apex of the fighting.  among such a world one could find a talos.  Of course that just me using my imagination and having no source book to point out a particular place for such a scenerio to take place.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #25 on: 09 April 2024, 06:43:06 »
one thing to remember leading up to the fall of the star league the periphery were secretly building up their armor and that lead to the flair up that cause Kerensky to send troops to the border.  It would not be that far fetch early on for the taurian to set up a mech factory in one of their colonies planet that star league may not be aware of and created a secret factories to ship war supplies to the rebels only for the later part of the war for those factories to be demolish by the star league forces during the apex of the fighting.  among such a world one could find a talos.  Of course that just me using my imagination and having no source book to point out a particular place for such a scenerio to take place.

Your theory is not so far-fetched, both Taurian and the RWR filled multiple places on the outskirts of outposts, hidden warehouses or factories so one or more bibs could have survived without being found until now.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
  • Ravaging the enemies of House Davion
« Reply #26 on: 09 April 2024, 09:12:02 »
The Taurians could build an upgraded Talos as a cheap and plentiful addition for the TDF. Even with upgraded parts, it would be cheaper than Omnis but still be effective.

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: 09 April 2024, 16:14:05 »
The Taurians could build an upgraded Talos as a cheap and plentiful addition for the TDF. Even with upgraded parts, it would be cheaper than Omnis but still be effective.

Would make sense, could pump it out of several factories as well to make it plentiful to a rebuilding TDF, probably sell well on the mercenary market as well.

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: 09 April 2024, 22:21:00 »
they could but uit's not like the Taurians are hurting for medium mechs to produce, they produce abundant qualities for shadowhawks and griffins, for example.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
  • Ravaging the enemies of House Davion
« Reply #29 on: 10 April 2024, 08:45:44 »
If they want to "rebuild for Taurian pride", upgraded Talosi would be better choices than SLDF-descended designs. Just retool the medium production lines.