Author Topic: Norwich Connecticut USA Game Reports  (Read 3565 times)

Captain Rufus

• Recruit
    • My gaming blog!
Norwich Connecticut USA Game Reports
« on: 02 April 2012, 03:28:35 »
I said I would have pictures of my 8 player game and here it is.  It could have been 9 had I had enough mechs on me.  Maybe even more if a few folks were available.

Why so many?  I guess my Mechshake brings all the Freebirths to the yard? :v

I ran an amazing demo game of Battletech Tuesday. 8 players. It could have been 9 but I only had 8 minis and sheets on me.  I did NOT expect this kind of turn out.

Its the third time I have run the game for mostly newbies and taught all of them how to play. Most of the folks seemed to really enjoy it too. 

I taught it like a videogame tutorial. Show them how to walk and turn with the unit commander. Then they try it. Then I explain how running works. Then I show jumping. Then show the basics of terrains for hills and forests. (I mention water but keep it out of the training mission.)

I have the players follow my commander around my map. (Which was Heroscape terrain. Its really THE way to play Battletech. It might have been part of the reason I had most of the people in the store playing.)

I put a little Gundam blind box figure on the field and explain the basics of shooting and heat. Give a couple examples about movement affecting accuracy, and range. Also get into the basics of critical hits and ammo explosions.

I answer a buttload of questions. Lots of them were about things they were kind of joking being able to do like burn down forests and beat people with their own arms. I say there ARE rules for such things but we are keeping it simple for this session. Battletech is fun but its VERY in depth and has stupid amounts of rules for any bloody thing you might really want to do in game.

I then explain initiative and give the players X turns to go hide somewhere. First 2 turns I have them just worry about movement and placing my Litko movement counters I had made from their Custom option, then the next 2 also placing down their to be hit counters so they get used to actually keeping track of how far their actual movement is in effecting modifiers.

I helpfully say my commander is joining in at a random time and is a 3/4 to their 4/5s and tell them to let the virtual combat begin. No close combat allowed as well.

As everyone goes all Battle Royale/Hunger Games on each other I help answer additional questions, and the 2 players who had any experience help out a bit as well. (One being nice enough to take the Jagermech.) People were mastering the rules FAST this way. By the second weapons free round I was barely needed outside of checking up on various things or refreshing myself on certain rules.

In my style I give the players callsigns based on their actions.

The Rifleman was Nancy, due to his running off and hiding behind a large wall.

The Phoenix Hawk was Backstabber due to his jumping behind a mech and going alpha on it. (He could have also been Weeble Wobble as he took more damage than anyone else and still survived the session. With an Engine AND Gyro hit.)

The Blackjack was Camper as he jumped on a large ruined building and sat there. Till my commander came online and got him out of his perch.

The Wolverine was Wooverine as he tried shooting at 2 targets, one with each arm going all dual wield. Till he realized he didn't have guns in both arms.

The Jagermech was Fry Daddy as he was shot in the back and had a virtual AC5 ammo explosion. Like 100 points of ammo explosion.

The Vindicator was Glory Hole which caused everyone to laugh at it, and was being run by 2 players. A lady and another guy who came in late so they worked together on strategy. Their strategy being to pretty much hug a wall and shoot at things. My commander character said they clearly knew a thing or two about humping walls.

The Shadow Hawk was Me Too! as he seemed to basically just gang up on any target any other mech was shooting at.

(My commander was as always Lepus in his trusty Enforcer. Known for hopping around and not sitting still. Was part of the original 4 members of the "Red Rockets" (Yes its a South Park reference.) unit commanded by Dirty Bob, a man who smelled like a brewery and had the STDs of a frathouse. Generally I say most of the newbie players are his horde of illegitimate kids and his child support payment is a giant combat robot. He died in his Hunchback, having fallen over an ammo dump when drunker than usual.)

Using 3025 tech medium/heavies in the 1000 BVish range with the Solaris Skunkworks sheets that have the nice side charts helped it be enough to play with to be fun but not a ridiculous assault fest or boring scout war.

I once played at a Connecticon BT demo where they gave each player an entire medium/heavy lance of 3060 era tech. Thats not a good demo.

It might be a month or more before we can get to play again, but I am thinking lance on lance with water, close combat, pavement, and possibly fire/smoke rules since outside of buildings that really does cover most of the important BT rules.

Figure each lance with a heavy, 2 mediums, and a scout, and the winning lance has to face the Commander who will have the Refit Enforcer (or a Refit Victor.. I haven't quite decided yet...) and be at his full skill as a 2/3 and see if they can't take him out.

If there is still interest, game 3 would involve tanks and possibly some infantry as the final graduation exercise.

Its funny though. I've taught more people over the years how to play Battletech than the regional Commando has. He sadly seems to follow the normal BT player SOP of "If you don't play exactly when I play in the style I play in the game group I play in you simply don't even exist".
(Seriously BT folk.  SOOO many of you seem to do this and I just don't understand why. :( )

Course for a while I even knew the rules better than he did.  I just haven't gotten as many games in the last few years so some knowledge has gone wherever it goes into one's brainmeats when they don't make use of it.
« Last Edit: 02 April 2012, 03:32:13 by Captain Rufus »
Griffins, Griffins, oh Khorne I love Griffins!
Dear Prince Steiner-Davion: I am so alone.

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
Re: Norwich Connecticut USA Game Reports
« Reply #1 on: 02 April 2012, 07:34:19 »
Nice report. I like how you've edited your photos.

Its funny though. I've taught more people over the years how to play Battletech than the regional Commando has. He sadly seems to follow the normal BT player SOP of "If you don't play exactly when I play in the style I play in the game group I play in you simply don't even exist".
(Seriously BT folk.  SOOO many of you seem to do this and I just don't understand why.  )

It's because of the Battletech Police that will come and stomp your stuff if you don't play in exact ways.

It's one of the strongest and strangest battletech quirks out there and there is very little short of a baseball bat that will change these players views.

Ouchies

• Warrant Officer
  • Rightly good batchall my good sport. Rightly good.
« Reply #2 on: 02 April 2012, 11:27:36 »
Nice report. I like how you've edited your photos.

It's because of the Battletech Police that will come and stomp your stuff if you don't play in exact ways.

It's one of the strongest and strangest battletech quirks out there and there is very little short of a baseball bat that will change these players views.

I dunno, the BT guys around here are pretty open.  But then, I think we're all just interested in getting a game in.

Captain Rufus

• Recruit
    • My gaming blog!
« Reply #3 on: 02 April 2012, 18:48:38 »
^ If there were only more groups like yours.

The worst I ever saw was this was back in the mid 90s in Norfolk VA at a game shop called Campaign Headquarters.

Every single Sunday there would be this one 4-6 player BT group who effectively had the table reserved for infinity.  They never invited any other players to join them, never really acknowledged anyone else being there.  (Which I guess beat these 2 guys playing to scale naval war combat on a MASSIVE 4-8 table.  Someone would rest their Magic deck box or a book on a corner of the table which had maybe 4" of total models on the board, maybe 2-6 models total.  They would actually YELL at people for it.  Even if their nearest ship was 2 feet away.  Us 40Kers would usually give half the table up to other gamers playing other things if we didn't need it even if we reserved the table.  Why?  Because we were COOL.  Outside of my foul mouth and loud voice.  I was 20 at the time.  I chide myself for it.)

Anyhow the funniest/saddest thing was one Sunday the OTHER of the 2 main tables was taken up by yet ANOTHER BT group, also not welcoming to other people and both groups were pretty much acting like the other did not even exist.  :(

The saddest part about the usual group?  THEY FINISHED MAYBE 1 TURN A WEEK.  Store was only open from Noon-6pm on Sundays.  About an hour to setup, an hour to clean up, 4 hours for one turn since there was maybe 2-4 companies of mechs on the field. 

(And not to say all 40Kers were great there at the time.  I remember once seeing 2 guys in one of the walled off rooms playing Rogue Trader circa 95.  My friend and I notice them so go in to say hi and invite em to join the hordes of us who played 40K nearly every week.  RT and 2nd were really close to the same ruleset, especially later on in RT's life.  These guys were really terse and I could tell by their faces they wanted nothing to do with us.  My friend didn't see it as clearly as I did.  We basically extended our hand in friendship and they took a dump in it.  IDGI.  They could have been polite and friendly about it.   I will even help people find game groups even if its for games I don't like or want to play.  I seem to be in the extreme minority for this.)

roguecommander

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 02 April 2012, 19:16:22 »

(Seriously BT folk.  SOOO many of you seem to do this and I just don't understand why. :( )

Course for a while I even knew the rules better than he did.  I just haven't gotten as many games in the last few years so some knowledge has gone wherever it goes into one's brainmeats when they don't make use of it.

Well you did it, you succeeded in baiting a reply from me. Suffice to say to all who read this, these two statements simply are not true. I would expound but I am not here to rain on his parade, just defend myself.

Good luck Rich, I hope your group works out good for you.

Matt
« Last Edit: 02 April 2012, 19:20:42 by roguecommander »

Captain Rufus

• Recruit
    • My gaming blog!
« Reply #5 on: 02 April 2012, 22:35:12 »
I'm sorry if you took offense to it, but its something I see from so many BT groups, the Groton crew included.
This really isn't the place to discuss this but feel free to PM me if you would like to talk about it.

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #6 on: 03 April 2012, 04:12:39 »
Sound like you two need a game of Peacetech to sort things out between you.

Remember lads its a game. No point falling out over it.

« Last Edit: 03 April 2012, 04:16:36 by markhall »

roguecommander

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 03 April 2012, 05:58:36 »
Nope need to reconcile, I never had a beef, this just felt like an attack over a perceived slight that happened something like 8 or 9 years ago. But since we are now specifically mentioned... we have always been all inclusive. At our highest attendance levels we had about 14 regular players, a good third of which were new at one point. We also invited other game groups to join us for games here and there and other commandos to come in and run games so that I could also play and not just demo. This culminated in a Vengeance Gambit game that saw a prominent developer from Catalyst (then FanPro) attend to play a game populated by players from three different gaming groups from across CT and Long Island of all experience levels (about 24 in all). Things have fallen off since, I no longer demo, I am just to busy, and we do not heavily advertise anymore either. We just play (if and when we can ever find a mutual day to play) , whether it is two of us or the regulars and a group of newbies who might be wandering in the store and take an interest and sit to play (and some of those newbies include some of our children). Our attendance has dwindled, yes, but not due to anything more sinister than real life events, people move or get busy, gas prices force the people that travel to stay close to home, and (you SHOULD understand this one, schedules for family and or work force changes in free time availability. As has been said, this is a game and should be fun and I contend that it must have been fun and also comfortable for that many players to attend for as long as they did, some from as far away as white plains new york.

If you have any reason to argue further please feel free. The way I see it the statement was made publicly so it should be contested publicly. And if in the future you feel it necessary to make such a general statement I would appreciate it if you left me out of it (and yes you did specifically mention me when you mentioned the "regional commando" in your first post here). Did you honestly think I would not take offense?

Captain Rufus

• Recruit
    • My gaming blog!
« Reply #8 on: 04 April 2012, 00:08:40 »
Honestly I didn't even think it would get looked at by you.  Or that I even had it in the post for this forum.  It didn't really cross my mind.

I would actually delete the offending statement (not that any actual offense or baiting was intended) but its
kind of late for that now.

If you wish to discuss this via PMs again I invite you to do so otherwise I would like my thread to get back to being about my fun gaming reports.

roguecommander

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 04 April 2012, 05:04:27 »
I will take you up on that now that my point of view is known here. I do actually think you have a very good thing going here which is why I was reading about what you are doing. Most of the Groton crew has gotten older to the point where real life influences take precedent over gaming, though the new demo agent is really trying to build things up again. It is nice to see that you could generate the interest that you did and everyone is having a good time, it is a tough thing to do.

Ouchies

• Warrant Officer
  • Rightly good batchall my good sport. Rightly good.
« Reply #10 on: 04 April 2012, 07:07:37 »
I will take you up on that now that my point of view is known here. I do actually think you have a very good thing going here which is why I was reading about what you are doing. Most of the Groton crew has gotten older to the point where real life influences take precedent over gaming, though the new demo agent is really trying to build things up again. It is nice to see that you could generate the interest that you did and everyone is having a good time, it is a tough thing to do.

Amen to that.  I've walked a mile with a broken leg and arm, and its got nothing on keeping game days going between persons with families and other greater interests (myself included).