Author Topic: Miniature of the Fortnight(ish) - Power Extreme! The Centurions!  (Read 6013 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
(And a big smile to those who remember that cheesy cartoon show!)

The BattleTech Centurion isn't - initially - as modular as its co-namesakes, but is a venerable trooper well known across the Inner Sphere, and beyond.  In Mini forms, we've got

- The original Ral Partha
- the CityTech semi-abomination
- the IWM resculpt
- and if I'm not mistaken, the IWM OmniMech model is now out.

There's also the promise of a RetroTech variant at some point, IIRC.

Unfortunately, due to a walk raising money for research into Motor Neuron Disease, I don't have any photos to lead off - so I call on the assembled Friends of the Centurion to fill the gap!

Cheers,

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Re: Miniature of the Fortnight(ish) - Power Extreme! The Centurions!
« Reply #1 on: 13 November 2016, 21:41:33 »
If the original Ral Partha sculpt is the one that IWM still sells, then I see five of them.

CN9-A
CityTech plastic
CN9-D5
CN9-D (IWM resculpt)
Centurion OmniMech (with two different versions available, the Prime/C and the A)
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 13 November 2016, 22:10:12 »
I have two Centurions...

The first one is a standard CN9-A Centurion painted back in the early 90's. It is suppose to be part of the Albion Military Academy, but it was painted before CSO and the original House Book didn't mention a paint scheme. I went with brown, which ended up being totally wrong, but I also don't plan to repaint it.

The painting style differences between this one and the second one are pretty extreme. This one is done in a basecoat and dry-brushed highlights, with basic cockpit and very little detailing. It does have hand painted insignia, which thanks to Fighting Piranha Graphics I no longer have to attempt. Even the differences in the bases is noticable. From a basic flocking, to something far more advanced... Mechs like these help me remember that I've come a long way over the years. And then I come here and get reminded that I still have a long way to go.

The second is a CN9-AL in 23rd Arcturan Guards scheme and a member of the Command Company's Command Lance.

Caz
« Last Edit: 15 November 2016, 23:08:12 by Cazaril »

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 14 November 2016, 00:16:59 »
My cohort, starting from the left back row.

3 CN9-A types, CN-9AH

CN9-D, CN9-D3D, CN9-D5

3 customized versions, representing a speedier PPC version, and 2 others based off combining the weapons of the Enforcer on the Centurion chassis. 

The red and black one lightens the AC and uses SRMs instead of the LRMs while the Blue and Yellow is more of a straight forward build.

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #4 on: 14 November 2016, 00:37:26 »
These are two that I've since parted with, because I'm working on a theme, and I want the colored teams for each dedicated faction to be plastic instead of metal.

But, I did have them at one point, and they were painted by my hand.

I have a new family pic in the works.

Sadly, I don't have a BattleForce scale one. I plan on rectifying that in the near future. For now, two stock Centurions. One in a generic gray scheme. Another in the Avalon Hussars (?) gray with white highlights.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 14 November 2016, 08:54:41 »
Power Extreme! Armor Mode!!!

Oh, wait. Those are from the Centurion Game.

Nevermind!

::)

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 14 November 2016, 08:57:30 »
Power Extreme! Air Mode!!!

Oh wait. That's not a LAM but just the Centurion Fighter - micro version. Which I don't have anymore. Need to acquire another one. This one went to Mike Noe at IWM with some of my custom bashed MicroMech Centurions and a few other mechs.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 14 November 2016, 09:03:59 »
Power Extrem! Micro!!!

I did a whole company+ of Micro or true map-scale (well, 1/700ish) Centurions. And, with such a glut, it's easy to have fun with color schemes and poses. Some of these are no longer in my collection, as I stated up-thread. And, some are going to get a repaint for MechCommander Homage purposes.

Two are different from the others, which were standardized once I had finished experimenting. One, a gray one, was my first attempt, without modding the Cavalier BA head. Should be easy to spot.

The other is the Buccaneer. Axe-wielding Centurion in everything but name and fictional deployment.

And, that leads me up to something I started a long time ago and will now try to finish. But, I'll only show you in a week.

For now, you have effectively seen my Centurion collection.

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 14 November 2016, 11:31:41 »
As far as i know there are two Different sculpts of the old Centurion. One with Torsotwist and weapon to the side (iirc the first sculpt) and one looking forward and AC straight forward (like in the new AS lance packs).
Just have a pic of the first sculpt.

Starbuck

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 14 November 2016, 13:55:59 »
i have two Centurions. One in the process of getting some paint on, the other one finished:

A Centurion of the 1st Kathil Uhlans

"You promised me Mars colonies. Instead, I got Facebook."
Buzz Aldrin

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
  • Artist, Writer, 3D Modeler Extraordinaire
« Reply #10 on: 14 November 2016, 18:52:40 »
Let me see your resculpts! I have yet to see a painted example of my sculpt!

edit: Corrected for autocorrect.
« Last Edit: 15 November 2016, 20:44:05 by Stinger »

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #11 on: 14 November 2016, 21:40:41 »
If the original Ral Partha sculpt is the one that IWM still sells, then I see five of them.

CN9-A
CityTech plastic
CN9-D5
CN9-D (IWM resculpt)
Centurion OmniMech (with two different versions available, the Prime/C and the A)
I'm going from memory, so this may be a little off...
The current IWM-store model 20-849 is the first resculpt (with right arm separate), the original sculpt being the one-piece, torso-twisted version.
BT-348 is IWM's second resculpt of the original (non-omni) Centurion.
There is a version of the original sculpt that was available in a MechCommander boxed set. This version was two pieces, separated at the waist.
20-452 is a FanTech modification of the original sculpt, possibly the first resculpt, that made it into standard distribution.  (Actually, this was THE FIRST mini produced through the FanTech program.)

hauptmann fanjoy

• CamoSpecs
  • Corporal
    • Heavy Gauss - Dave Fanjoy's Mech Gallery
« Reply #12 on: 15 November 2016, 20:43:18 »
Yeah, there are a lot of Centurion sculpts.  I count 6 sculpts (plus the MFUK Yen Lo Wang, plus the Citytech version).  I have a list on my site with examples of most (see http://www.heavygauss.com/MEDIUM/centurion.html).  Here's a custom Yen Lo Wang that I made from the resculpt for a CSO diorama.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 15 November 2016, 20:57:55 »
My take on Rick Raisho.

Never noticed before how bad the lighting is in that picture.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Ronin Actual

• Warrant Officer
  • Bad Day?
« Reply #14 on: 21 November 2016, 18:26:52 »
CityTech Plastic, very early attempt at drybrushing to make panels and edges "pop". Painted in the Marian Hegemony IV Legio Comitatensis.

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
  • Battletech and Paintball. Life is good.
« Reply #15 on: 24 November 2016, 13:07:08 »
All are original RP lead. Circa 1988-89
L -R
First camouflage, first metallic scheme and another three hour lance Centurion. Needed for a campaign.

dirty harry

• Lieutenant
  • Make my day
« Reply #16 on: 24 November 2016, 13:38:45 »
Two Centurions in the same camo scheme. One is the original one piece miniature, the other the later two piece model. Due to their stand on the picture they are called Vincent and Jules.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 28 November 2016, 23:31:45 »
Power Extreme: Melee

This is something that I should have finished long ago, but only got around to now.

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #18 on: 30 November 2016, 22:59:43 »
I finished painting this Lance Pack Centurion last week.  I had been putting off taking a picture of it because I believe I'm bad at picture taking.

I'm not happy with what happened to the end of the autocannon barrel.  Either I didn't get it dark enough originally or it got washed out at some point.  I'll have to fix that.

This Centurion is part of the same company as the Zeus I painted.  Once I get the courage, I'll take pictures of the whole company.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #19 on: 30 November 2016, 23:04:38 »
There's a stickied post at the top of the forum, which offers a great way to better images.

For example, I copied your pic into Irfanview, did "Auto Adjust Colors", and one hit of Sharpen.

The result below. Great looking Cent!

In general, the best advice is
- more light! From multiple angles is best.
- Take the pic with a zoom lens, but from at least 2' away. THis improves the focal depth, hence sharpness, and you just trim off the waste space.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #20 on: 30 November 2016, 23:47:33 »
Thank you for the advice.  I hadn't thought of adjusting the colors in the picture.  I can't run Irfanview on my Mac laptop (no Windows VM) but I think I've figured out how to replicate it in GIMP.

I'll see if I can improve the lighting in my setup as well.

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: 01 December 2016, 15:32:54 »
I think I've figured out how to replicate it in GIMP.

Gimp is... "Colors" tab => "Levels..." => "Auto" button => "OK" button

You'd be amazed at how it brightens a picture right up.

Caz

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #22 on: 01 December 2016, 15:56:27 »
(At the risk of turning this into a photography help thread...  Maybe we should take this elsewhere?)
Gimp is... "Colors" tab => "Levels..." => "Auto" button => "OK" button

You'd be amazed at how it brightens a picture right up.
I was amazed! I found I got better results by adjusting the levels manually though.  This may just be an issue with the pictures I took.  I'll see if it works better with my next set of pictures.

B1Bflyer

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: 06 December 2016, 16:06:04 »
Here's a Blackstone Highlanders Centurion I did for a commission a long time ago.