Author Topic: Need help with modeling scale  (Read 1346 times)

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
Need help with modeling scale
« on: 17 April 2020, 15:01:08 »
I am planning on making a model of the Stormcrow based on its MWO rendition.  I want to scale it to 1/35, which would match up with the models those in my local MVPA group make (they all model stuff from WWI to present day, but I'll model stuff 1,000 years later  :D).  I was looking for some thoughts about what size I should actually make this model.  I know there is a size chart of different 'mech and vehicle classes and was thinking that would be a good starting point.  Any thoughts?
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
Re: Need help with modeling scale
« Reply #1 on: 17 April 2020, 16:16:32 »
I am planning on making a model of the Stormcrow based on its MWO rendition.  I want to scale it to 1/35, which would match up with the models those in my local MVPA group make (they all model stuff from WWI to present day, but I'll model stuff 1,000 years later  :D).  I was looking for some thoughts about what size I should actually make this model.  I know there is a size chart of different 'mech and vehicle classes and was thinking that would be a good starting point.  Any thoughts?
55-tons puts it 5 tons shy of center of the weight range for standard BattleMechs, which are 9 to 15 meters tall for me (based on the Armorcast range and many years of over-analyzing this subject). In my opinion, chicken legs make it shorter than 55-tonner with humanoid legs. The fighter style, elongated torso also makes it shorter than it's humanoid counterpart. Off-hand I'd call it about 11 meters tall (Armorcast MadCat is 12.6 meters by their listed height). That scales down to 31.4 centimeters at 1/35th if my math is correct.

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #2 on: 18 April 2020, 06:55:41 »
It seems like I'm on the right track then because I calculated the same number.  This is going to be a big print.  The other day I was thinking about the MP-10 Optimus Prime figure sitting on my desk and how he probably comes to about 40 feet tall in robot mode, so the Stormcrow would be about as tall :))
BATTLEMASTER

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 18 April 2020, 12:50:57 »
Have you seen the vinyl 1/35th MadCat that Horizon produced in the 90's?

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #4 on: 19 April 2020, 07:59:33 »
Is that the same one that was featured in the revised Battletech Compendium?  If so, that's a really awesome model!  Did they make the Summoner and Mad Dog too?
BATTLEMASTER

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 19 April 2020, 08:34:30 »
Is that the same one that was featured in the revised Battletech Compendium?  If so, that's a really awesome model!  Did they make the Summoner and Mad Dog too?
I'm not sure if the Compendium MadCat is custom or kit, it could even be the master for the kit for all I know, but the other models were all customs.

Here's a pic I took from the MWO forums showing the Horizon kit compared to the Armorcast 1/60 kit and the original mini.