Author Topic: Game Trackers/Programs for Tabletop Play?  (Read 1279 times)

TriplerSDMB

• Corporal
  • I ♥ C4
Game Trackers/Programs for Tabletop Play?
« on: 11 May 2020, 09:00:31 »
Good morning, y'all! 

I'm aiming to introduce my niece and nephew to BattleTech through the tapletop, pencil-and-paper way, and am curious if there's been any tabletop game trackers discovered.  I saw this link: "BattleTech Game Tracker for Tablets,"  but it looks like the last post was nine years ago.  I hesitate to bring back a zombie thread.

Does anyone use any good trackers, for laptop/tablet use out yonder?  Maybe a spreadsheet, or Java program?

Thanks!
Trip
DISCLAIMER: All thoughts and ideas put forth in this communication are sole property of the voices in my head. ©1998-2023 - 'The Voices' (TM). All rights reserved.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: Game Trackers/Programs for Tabletop Play?
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2020, 09:14:38 »
Well, for Java they have MegaMek . . . they do not have to worry about the rules, just move the mechs and fire.  But I think you want them moving minis on maps so . . .

They have built a mech campaign tracker in Java- works with MegaMek (MM) IIRC, you can see it down on the computer game sub-forum.

I know my wife found a dice aid/app for her phone when she tried to kill me at the local con a few years ago.  She put in her mech, her movement, and a couple of other inputs and it told her what her THN were for each weapon on the mech.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Syzyx

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2020, 10:38:24 »
For Android there are, that I am aware of:

BT Dice Roller

BattleTech Calculator

Mech Factory

I have used all of them and they all get the job  done, though Mech Factory includes -way- more than just a tabletop aid.
But as a matter of fact I was quite busy getting potty-trained at the time and had no time for interstellar politics.- ykonoclast

FenderSaxbey

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2020, 13:15:36 »
You might want to give https://sheets.flechs.net/ a try.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2020, 15:32:47 »
Good morning, y'all! 

I'm aiming to introduce my niece and nephew to BattleTech through the tapletop, pencil-and-paper way, and am curious if there's been any tabletop game trackers discovered.

Does anyone use any good trackers, for laptop/tablet use out yonder?  Maybe a spreadsheet, or Java program?

Thanks!
Trip

What types of trackers are you looking for?
Ones going over weapon ranges?
Damage
Heat
Movement mods
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

TriplerSDMB

• Corporal
  • I ♥ C4
« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2020, 15:48:37 »
I was looking primarily for something that tracked heat, but looking at FenderSaxbey's page from my desktop, that's a hell of a start!!   When I get off work, I'll go grab my tablet to see how the Android apps work.  Thansk guys!

More to follow,
Trip
DISCLAIMER: All thoughts and ideas put forth in this communication are sole property of the voices in my head. ©1998-2023 - 'The Voices' (TM). All rights reserved.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2020, 20:02:52 »
Flechs Sheets are awesome, but make sure you only have the automatic rolling you want... One of the first times we used it, the computer quite suddenly said the 'mech had destroyed itself, and it took a bit to figure out the series of rolls it did that resulted in an ammo explosion...

FenderSaxbey

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2020, 04:01:18 »
Flechs Sheets are awesome, but make sure you only have the automatic rolling you want... One of the first times we used it, the computer quite suddenly said the 'mech had destroyed itself, and it took a bit to figure out the series of rolls it did that resulted in an ammo explosion...
Yeah, the log is good, but having to 1. Remember its there and where to click to get it, and 2. scroll down forever to find out what happened is a bit of a pain. Might be worth a feature request to Flechs to have some sort of message added to the sheet for those catastrophic moments or an option to accept those as obligations so you're not caught off guard.

Bison AIs

• Master Sergeant
  • Flechs Dev
    • Flechs
« Reply #8 on: 19 May 2020, 22:40:41 »
Yeah, the log is good, but having to 1. Remember its there and where to click to get it, and 2. scroll down forever to find out what happened is a bit of a pain. Might be worth a feature request to Flechs to have some sort of message added to the sheet for those catastrophic moments or an option to accept those as obligations so you're not caught off guard.

FYI: In the next update ( v3.8 ). 
- The log button is reverting back to saying "Log" and the log will also scroll down automatically when new items are added.
- There will be a new option to accept incoming attacks one by one (and per attacking unit), which may help a little in avoiding situations like that described above.

(Details:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yeEQOS9NJk&t=3m14s)
« Last Edit: 19 May 2020, 22:42:44 by Bison AIs »

Bison AIs

• Master Sergeant
  • Flechs Dev
    • Flechs
« Reply #9 on: 05 July 2020, 13:16:43 »
some sort of message added to the sheet for those catastrophic moments or an option to accept those as obligations so you're not caught off guard.

Heads up: This is effectively landing in the upcoming 4.1 update in the form of a new default automation option -- "Ask"!

When an automation item (like 'conscious check') is set to 'ask' the system pauses in the middle of damage resolution to solicit a roll (or the result of a real-world roll) when the event occurs. When set to 'note', the system just pauses to notify the the user and provides a button to continue resolution.

Moreover, explosion damage is being added as a specific automation entry (that can be set to Auto, Note, or Ask). Critical hit chance quantity, slot, and conscious checks are also in place and are set to 'Ask' by default, such that the path to an ammo explosion and through its resolution (among other things) is much more clear.

Overview here: https://youtu.be/mYa1G-rX9mE
« Last Edit: 05 July 2020, 13:56:36 by Bison AIs »

Bison AIs

• Master Sergeant
  • Flechs Dev
    • Flechs
« Reply #10 on: 05 July 2020, 13:20:01 »
(Example attached.)

Register