Author Topic: Field Report 2765: AFFS  (Read 13906 times)

Midnightsun

• Corporal
Field Report 2765: AFFS
« on: 25 February 2014, 04:14:43 »
I'm not sure if anyone one else has started this topic.  But just finished my first read through and i'm very impressed, especially all the details on the flaws of the AFFS before the start of the first succession war.  I'm also very impressed with some of the units, especially the Dragonlords! That one caught my attention.  Another great field report.  I look forward to the remaining books.

Korzon77

• Captain
Re: Field Report 2765: AFFS
« Reply #1 on: 25 February 2014, 06:17:48 »
Any naval ships? 

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 25 February 2014, 06:24:23 »
Two. Defender-class
battlecruiser and Congress-D Frigate. Both feature alot of DAKKA!
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
« Reply #3 on: 25 February 2014, 08:46:42 »
To keep this shorter, I'll just go through what I liked, disliked, and huh?

Liked

-There is a USS Constitution feel to the Golden Lion being the flagship of the AFFS for ages. I like that. Plus, she still went out like a slugger apparently actually being the blunt instrument used to stop the Combine  at Cholame at her age. Add in the fact, she reminds me of a combination of a Southern Cross vessel with a Earth cruiser from Space Battleship Yamato/Starblazers, and she brings a tear to my eye.

-Dragonlords are a unit that just somehow escaped being mentioned in the past because they are just that awesome sounding especially the Fifth.

-The Robinson Chevaliers were great especially being named after knightly orders.

Disliked

-Okay, I get it. I'll get no more details about Fed Suns Arcadia. However, why in the world make a unit called the Arcadian Cuirassiers which is a unit from Demeter without a mention of poor Arcadia? It makes sense from a Greek point of view especially with the goddess Demeter, but come on, it's a missed opportunity to talk about Arcadia.

-Industrial map basically matches the same.

Huh?

-I know what a Hotspur is. And if the author intended the Hostspur to be that, I'd figure it was just a spelling error, and I'd give a wink and a nod for what seems a distant memory. However, I have no idea. I've spent fifteen minutes searching through dictionaries and various search engines. And all I came up with is a Football team in Totterham that has fans that misspell hotspur a lot. Somehow, I doubt this all has to do with a common misspelling of the Totterham Hotspurs, but you never know.
« Last Edit: 25 February 2014, 09:06:00 by Lord Harlock »

CungrVanck

• Warrant Officer
  • Inner Sphere Historian
« Reply #4 on: 25 February 2014, 08:50:26 »
I too am highly excited about the many new units that are described in this Field Report.  Then I think of the upcoming 1st Succession War and I get sad  :-\  May they fight and die well!

I enjoyed the new warships (two new classes) and they create a fairly well balanced fleet for House Davion.

If TPTB do go ahead with the a Early Succession War Book (or three or four considering the sheer mass of units available!), I am ready to throw my money at them!

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #5 on: 25 February 2014, 10:25:40 »
A Hotspur reference might also be to Horatio Hornblower, who's first official command was an 18 gun sloop.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #6 on: 25 February 2014, 14:21:08 »
I desperately want more info on the Dragonlords. I'd love a paint scheme.
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #7 on: 25 February 2014, 15:19:57 »
I desperately want more info on the Dragonlords. I'd love a paint scheme.

Seconded. Thirded. Twenty-Ninthed. The name is so awesome alone, I'd love to know their history.

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 25 February 2014, 15:29:52 »
There's been multiple real life HMS Hotspurs, albeit not for many years, so it's a name that does have a naval pedigree. The name Hotspur itself comes from the nickname of a English nobleman who rebelled against the Crown, with that story being the subject of one of Shakespeare's plays, which is probably how many people know him rather than an actual interest in Medieval English history.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 25 February 2014, 15:37:16 »
Seconded. Thirded. Twenty-Ninthed. The name is so awesome alone, I'd love to know their history.
Likewise.  The line about Avalon's Silver Claws being friendly rivals who push the DAG to be better sold me.  More please!

I really think we're being set up for a Historical: 1st Succession War that explains how the Robinson Chevaliers and Tancredi Loyalists became the Robinson Rangers, and the demise of the Dragonlords (perhaps ending up rolled into the Crucis Lancers?).
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Adam Vagus

• Master Sergeant
  • Wearing my tightest pants, because it's midnite!
« Reply #10 on: 25 February 2014, 16:03:50 »
Just got this and I'm loving the huge write-up on the Avalon Hussars. I think I found my new favorite Davion unit, the 1st Avalon Hussars. Though all the Hussar units are awesome. Makes it hard to choose just one.

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #11 on: 25 February 2014, 16:31:58 »
Very good. Also very interesting to see the tech levels of the Houses rise above general expectations.
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 25 February 2014, 17:02:05 »
I'd like to see the Dragonlords resurrected in the post 3145 period.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #13 on: 25 February 2014, 17:16:53 »

I'd like to see a resurrection too maybe I will not in canon maybe  O0

I really enjoyed the glance over I had of this the first time ill need to have a second and third glance though

I'd have really liked a Block II Defender that would have been interesting to see
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #14 on: 25 February 2014, 18:44:02 »
Ooh. Oh my. It's the original Congress! Like the Original Original "no our guns didn't magically disappear due to a typo" Congress!

It's been so long, I never thought I'd see it again!
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #15 on: 25 February 2014, 19:57:28 »
I'd like to see a resurrection too maybe I will not in canon maybe  O0

I really enjoyed the glance over I had of this the first time ill need to have a second and third glance though

I'd have really liked a Block II Defender that would have been interesting to see
I second that motion.  If your going to have so few big boats and keep them around, i'd be upgrading them best i can.

Congress D was interesting, I was surprised but should haven't been to see a different version of the Congress.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

DarthRads

• Captain
  • Trust me...I'm the Doctor...
« Reply #16 on: 25 February 2014, 21:34:31 »
Ooh. Oh my. It's the original Congress! Like the Original Original "no our guns didn't magically disappear due to a typo" Congress!

It's been so long, I never thought I'd see it again!

Now all we need is a SovSoy with those 18 missing NLs!

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #17 on: 25 February 2014, 21:38:24 »
Now all we need is a SovSoy with those 18 missing NLs!

That would be great.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Nebfer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: 25 February 2014, 22:51:15 »
and fiftieth  :D

Agreed.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #19 on: 25 February 2014, 22:55:23 »
Aside from the mighty Defender.

The Field Report is really interesting, the Tancredi Loyalists are interesting group. I hope they went out in blaze a glory since there no sign of them by the 31st Century.  Dragonlords write up is nice along with the rest of the other units!

The dedicated DropShip Squadron is also an eye opener.  I do think thou, i wish Inner Sphere powers had been able come up with their open DropShip designs.  It would been lovely to get stats for the Union CV mentioned in bygone era of TROs. 

As a side note:  How long has the Tortuga Prime been a pirate state????  You'd think SLDF would clean those boys out along time ago, then again...i thought they formed during the Succession Wars.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #20 on: 25 February 2014, 23:02:05 »
I hope and pray the Periphery book is as good as this one. You can't see it... but I've crossed every finger. And toe. And a few hairs.
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #21 on: 25 February 2014, 23:31:45 »
As a side note:  How long has the Tortuga Prime been a pirate state????  You'd think SLDF would clean those boys out along time ago, then again...i thought they formed during the Succession Wars.
  The original founders of Tortuga were an AFFS unit that went rogue during the Reunification War.

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 25 February 2014, 23:41:28 »
I had an absolute blast writing this product. It was something like mixing a walk down memory lane with an archeological dig into the lost past.

Hotspur- Yes, this is a nod to the old British HMS ships of the same name. It is also a nod to this forum and the dedicated fans. The last incarnation of the Fan Council game had the Davions finding a derelict Congress, which had been lost in the Star League. It was the Hotspur. So a tip of the hat to all of you.

Dragonlords- Okay, I'm very pleased that everyone loves the concept, really pleased. I enjoyed coming up with the concept for this unit and then fleshing out the units. I do have to make a confession, it was a goof. Oystein is one of the hidden forces behind the entire FR2750 reports. He was given the monumental task of tracking all the canon references to units. After doing that, he then had to create whole cloth units to fill out the roster. The FedSuns needed a lot of whole cloth units because so many o the units we think of now did not exist in the Star League. All this was placed on a spreadsheet that was provided to the writers. He also generated some high level notes for the origins of the new units. Well somehow I never got the notes, I only got the spreadsheet. The Dragon Lords were intended to be a Draconis March unit originally. Not having any notes, I looked at math and saw the Crucis March was sorely lacking combat units so I made the Dragon Lords history as you read it now.

So they ended up being a happy mistake. The final product was better than what we originally planned.

And yes, I loved setting up the DAG rivalry. That was one of my most enjoyable parts of this whole project.

Robinson Chevaliers Do you know how hard it was to find Knight Orders that would work? So many knights orders have names that just are not... well "manly stompy roboty"

Paint Schemes All new units (in all the FR2750 books) should have paint schemes and even insignia documented. We knew this was going to be important to all of you. I also wore another hat on this project, helping to get all the books reviewed and ready for layout, that's one of the things I worked to make sure happened. We know you CSO and aspiring CSO folks really care about these things.

New WarShips- Jellico gets full credit for your new WarShip dakka. He personally created the Congress and was the project lead for all the FR2750 to design these WarShip with the help of several Aerospace experts in the writers and design teams.
-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #23 on: 25 February 2014, 23:52:43 »
The Congress D is just like the normal Congress and fixed it's flaws having all the big firepower in the aft slots.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 26 February 2014, 00:01:03 »
I had an absolute blast writing this product. It was something like mixing a walk down memory lane with an archeological dig into the lost past.

Hotspur- Yes, this is a nod to the old British HMS ships of the same name. It is also a nod to this forum and the dedicated fans. The last incarnation of the Fan Council game had the Davions finding a derelict Congress, which had been lost in the Star League. It was the Hotspur. So a tip of the hat to all of you.

Dragonlords- Okay, I'm very pleased that everyone loves the concept, really pleased. I enjoyed coming up with the concept for this unit and then fleshing out the units. I do have to make a confession, it was a goof. Oystein is one of the hidden forces behind the entire FR2750 reports. He was given the monumental task of tracking all the canon references to units. After doing that, he then had to create whole cloth units to fill out the roster. The FedSuns needed a lot of whole cloth units because so many o the units we think of now did not exist in the Star League. All this was placed on a spreadsheet that was provided to the writers. He also generated some high level notes for the origins of the new units. Well somehow I never got the notes, I only got the spreadsheet. The Dragon Lords were intended to be a Draconis March unit originally. Not having any notes, I looked at math and saw the Crucis March was sorely lacking combat units so I made the Dragon Lords history as you read it now.

So they ended up being a happy mistake. The final product was better than what we originally planned.

And yes, I loved setting up the DAG rivalry. That was one of my most enjoyable parts of this whole project.

Robinson Chevaliers Do you know how hard it was to find Knight Orders that would work? So many knights orders have names that just are not... well "manly stompy roboty"

Paint Schemes All new units (in all the FR2750 books) should have paint schemes and even insignia documented. We knew this was going to be important to all of you. I also wore another hat on this project, helping to get all the books reviewed and ready for layout, that's one of the things I worked to make sure happened. We know you CSO and aspiring CSO folks really care about these things.

New WarShips- Jellico gets full credit for your new WarShip dakka. He personally created the Congress and was the project lead for all the FR2750 to design these WarShip with the help of several Aerospace experts in the writers and design teams.
Hey, the 6th Crucis painted flowers on their big stompy robots.  "Knights of the Garter" or something would've been just fine. :)
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #25 on: 26 February 2014, 00:08:54 »
Okay, I'm blind; I can't find any reference to the Dragonlords' color scheme. Can someone give me the reference?
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: 26 February 2014, 00:28:06 »
Somehow I don't trust the Admiral commanding the Coreward Fleet. Its probably the Creuset part of his name.

What I am disappointed at is a lack of any surviving remnant of the old Outer March units, if there was one anyway.

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
« Reply #27 on: 26 February 2014, 00:44:53 »
Oh my Lord, I had missed that the first time about Mark Creuset. I am a bit tear-eyed now. Of all of them, I never expected Mark to be the one that somehow transcended. Thank you, Welshman.

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 26 February 2014, 00:50:51 »
Okay, I'm blind; I can't find any reference to the Dragonlords' color scheme. Can someone give me the reference?

Well dang... Looks like I managed to drop their color scheme notes.

I'll have to issue an errata on them. Once I find my notes again.

MUL folks- Ping me if I forget.

Sorry, folks.
-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #29 on: 26 February 2014, 01:09:16 »
Yep. Copied it out of an old TRO someone left lying around.

Very happy with all the FR2765 ships. A good balance of effectiveness and quirk.

Register