Author Topic: Combined Arms Battalion, 138th Mechanised Division - The Chicago Division, SLDF  (Read 4075 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
The 138th Mechanised Infantry Division - The Chicago Division. Part of the SLDF's XLIV Corps, 16th Army, the core of the division was chewed up during the Hegemony Campaign, retaking worlds formerly controlled by the Draconis Combine. In the wake of the fall of the Star League, deserted by General Kerensky and his Exodus fleet, and fleeing from the House Lords tyranny, the survivors - still claiming the proud name of The Chicago Division - lead a rag-tag band of soldiers, dependants, and innocent victims on a lonely quest ...for a shining planet which can replace their lost Earth.

The depicted unit is a battalion-sized detachment from the last-known location of The Chicago Division, on Valentina in 2824. DCMS forces had re-incorporated the planet into the Combine, but garrisoned only the planetary capital. The majority of the planet's surface was wild and lawless, and piracy and rapine was rife. The Division, seeking for a place to call home, split it's remaining forces up into smaller subunits, each attempting to bring law to the lawless.

This battalion was sent to defend the mountain village Toho. Ronin - masterless warriors, with not a few Amaris supporters mingling with them - were planning to raid the village in the autumn, after the harvest had been brought in. The villagers can offer little - food, shelter, and a place to hide - in return for protection. But at this time, and at this place, for the weary warriors of The Chicago Division ... it is enough.

First company is drawn from the remnants of older and obscure designs, drawn from survivors of the 138th's BattleMech brigade.

The Battalion CO, callsign Orangewoman, commands from her MAD-1R Marauder, backed by a RFL-3N Rifleman, ARC-2R Archer, and BMD-12 Bombardier.

The Direct Fire Support lance is commanded by callsign Grey Wolf and his Battleaxe BTX-1K. A Crossbow,  Cestus, and Vulcan VLC-6N make up the lance.

The GLadiator GLD-3R commanded by callsign "Great Eye" is accompanied by a Hornet, FLC-4N Falcon, and FLE-15 Flea.

Second company is a more homogenous armoured unit. Gabriels provide swift scouting and spotting, a platoon of rare Kanga jump tanks are strikers, and a platoon of Thumpers are ideal artillery backing for the other units.

And the infantry company - three platoons of leg infantry, supported by three heavy wheeled APCs - one of which has been converted to a combination of MASH unit and field kitchen. Necessity is, after all, a mother.

First, and most important, this unit is dedicated to those members of the Chicago Demo Team who've welcomed me into their homes, hearts, and games in the last three years, when I was lucky enough to manage to swing by the Windy City. To you, this is some small gesture of my appreciation. May you always roll high, unless you want to roll low!

Second, I'd planned this unit for years, as a suitable way of using up my BattleDroids minis. Wasn't until I picked up two BD Marauders - with the Ral Partha imprint under the base - that the roster was complete. (I did have a Firebee as well, but that went when my son moved out.) So when I did visit Chicago, the decision sort of got made.

The SLDF scheme is both simple, and hard. You can't use the little tricks one often does to make a mini pop. So I just tried to do a simple paintscheme well. You decide how it came out. The process:

1) Prime with olive drab
2) Brown ink wash
3) Drybrush 2-3 layers of olive drab
4) Ghostbrush with faded olive drab to pick out edges just a little
5) Detail.

Anyway, some may want to know if the remnants of the Chicago Division ever found a place to call home. Well ...

Some did, anyway.

Cheers - and especially to you ladies & gentlemen O0

W.

* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
cool unit
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Wolf Reaper

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Malo Mori Quam Foedari - Death Before Dishonor
Worktroll, those look awesome!
Star Colonel Vladik Ward
318th Wolf Striker Cluster
"The Blood Pack"

Sic Vis Pacem Parabellum  -"Those who seek peace, prepare for war."
"Grant me stillness and serenity as my enemies pound and howl." -Incantation against bombardment

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
 O0  You've got even more battledroids than me. :P

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
Got them honestly, IIRC in orange backed blisters, in 1985 or so O0
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
Question for you WT.  Are the BD minis roughly the same size as the BT minis?  Hard to tell from photos, but the BD minis look like they are a wee bit bigger.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
The BD Marauder is way big; the rest are a little bigger, and the Archer is quite smaller (I almost expected a 50-ton primitive Archer because of it).

The same deal that got me the two BD Marauders also got me two Marauder IIs. I'm considering a fin transplant to the BD MAD, because the MAD II isn't much bulkier than the original.

The mini quality is poor compared to the latter RP minis, with shallow panel lines & lots of flat; there's a lot of parts re-use; and I believe many were sculpted by the same Robert Charrette who wrote "Heir to the Dragon", one of my all-time favourite BT books.

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
  • Battletech and Paintball. Life is good.
Well done WT! I especially like the company of Battledroid mechs.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
The mini quality is poor compared to the latter RP minis, with shallow panel lines & lots of flat

Yeah, I see what you mean.  Not a lot of detail carved into them.  Still, nice work on them!
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Schwerpunkt Prinzip

• Sergeant
Gorgeous! Bravo.
Quote from: worktroll
He's named after a Roman Emperor, and appears to be Elemental phenotype. Levitation's a cinch! :D

shadhawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
very nice unit 8)

avon1985

• Major

Phobos101

• Master Sergeant
despite their obvious age and lesser sculpts, there's always been something appealing to me about the Battle Droids miniatures. I have only ever picked up a Marauder and a Bombardier, but hopefully one day I'll end up with some more :) I really like your work integrating those dark age troops and vehicles into your force as well.

It's a great looking unit WT,  love your work as usual.

abou

• Captain
Do they subsist on a diet of roast beef sandwiches, deep dish pizza, and Malort?

RABIDFOX50

• Warrant Officer
  • 1507 Strike RCT
Magnificent addition to any collection. Well done sir.
Battletech collector/player since 1987
Toss a coin to your Witcher, oh valley of plenty!
Listen! Do you smell that?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
Many thanks for the kind words!