Author Topic: ARC-2K Archer / 17th Galedon Regulars  (Read 8784 times)

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
ARC-2K Archer / 17th Galedon Regulars
« on: 22 September 2012, 12:25:30 »
Oh my God, it’s done!!!

About three and a half years ago, I started to get back into painting and BattleTech. During my first 6 months, I became more and more involved in reposes and bashes… Then about three years ago, I decided I wanted to do Shorty Sneede’s FrankenMech. But that presented me with a problem. I was going to need the left torso and arm from an unseen Archer.

Now,  for most people, getting the Archer would be the issue, but I’m sitting on a stash, so all I needed to do was dig one out… No, my problem came about because I had sworn off hacking up minis just to steal parts from them (I hacked off a Mauler’s shoulders and arms, back in the early 90’s, to make my first RFL-3C Rifleman… And years later, regretted destroying the mini)… And who has a spare unseen Archer torso and arm? Especially since it is a one piece…

Looking for a way out (Read: Justification), I realized that if I turned the Archer into a variant and just happened to have a spare torso/arm, then it would be perfectly acceptable for me to use it…

So, I decided on making an ARC-2K Archer…

This also represents the first time I ever had multiple projects going at the same time (normally I repose/bash, paint, then start next project)… So I bashed the ARC-2K and Sneede’s ride, and I also bashed my ROG-1G Rogue (custom)… This gave me three minis to paint.. But first, I decided to post some WIPs..

Now the problem with WIPs, is that people will actually point out things they don’t like (really!! The nerve!) and make suggestions… Sometimes you blow off what they say, sometimes you think about it but decide it is too much work, and others times you just have to bow down to the logic of what people are telling you… Now Sneede’s ride was pretty well liked. The Rogue, while people thought the torso was too big, was a custom and came out how I envisioned it (so that wasn’t going to change)… But somebody commented that the arms were too small, as were the battle fists…

Already having started painting it, I realized they were right, so into the Simply Green it went and I started over… I reworked the arms and got it the way I wanted it… But then, I decided to also change the pose and what the base would look like… So back in the Simply Green it went again, and I started again… Meanwhile, I finished painting the other two and started planning my next project.

In the end, I finally got the bash finished, but I had lost all interest in painting it… Partly because I had new and exciting other projects to paint, partly because I was frustrated with continually going back and having to redo it... So there it sat…

Then I moved… And it came with me still incomplete. Sitting in my little “to do” box like a resident of The Island of Misfit Toys… Other projects came and went, and I may have given it a thought, but not enough to want to drag it out and start to paint it again…

Finally, a few months ago, I decided to clear off my work bench… This included the “SkyWarp” Phoenix hawk LAM and now the 2K…

In all fairness, I must say that because I waited so long, it probably ended up with some additional details that I would have just written off if I had finished it three years ago (or never even thought to try)… BUT, because it was already primed and basecoated, and I had no desire to start all over again for the fourth time, little imperfections that I might have taken care of, got overlooked and/or ignored.

This was my original WIP picture:

Notes about the mini:

In the end, I decided to have the mini pay homage to the original CityTech boxed set front cover…

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51OVhBHFM3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Basically, I aimed for the pose being reminiscent of the one on the cover... He is bashing down the wall with his right fist. The traffic light wrapped around his left arm and torso. Only the right missile bay open… But since I was doing him in 17th Galedon Regulars scheme, and it was a ARC-2K, I decided to change the scenery up (also referred to as “poor planning”)…

Overall, I like the way it came out…

As always; Comments, advice, suggestions and steal-able ideas welcome.

For those of you who caught the little bit of detail in the middle frame of the second picture, and want a little better look (or those that just missed it completely)...

Originally I wanted to do a tank out front... Then, when I realized that I didn't have the room, I wanted to go with a machine gun nest... Not only would it have been tight, but I couldn't find a mini to use that could be "draped" over the nest (all I have are Davion Infantry... I guess I need to look around)... So I came up with this... I then thought about adding a second body in the street, but again, I didn't have a mini that had the look I wanted... So I went with minimal...

I was really happy with this when it was finished, but It is a bit of a shame it is hidden away.... A little bit of the detail you can't see from the picture, is that I included not just the blood coming down the wall, but also a puddle under him... I can't complain for 6mm.

Finally... A side rant.

I've come to the conclusion that Strip Styrene is the creation of a sadistic demon... Never fails... You out pressure on it and it flexes... Do it again, it still flexes... Get it all painted up and breath on it, "snap"... It happened to my I-Beam wielding Grasshopper when it feel (although that is to be expected), it happened to my I-Beam wielding Highlander (all I did was slide it around on the shelf), it happened to the missile doors on my Baron Singh Crusader (I had put it in a carry case to take it with me... No sooner I place it, it snapped) and now it has happened to my Archer... With only a few exceptions, I've decided to move over to brass... It looks just as good, and is a bit sturdier.

Caz
« Last Edit: 24 October 2016, 12:07:51 by Cazaril »

john blackwell

• Lieutenant
  • putting on a happy face
Re: ARC-2K Archer / 17th Galedon Regulars
« Reply #1 on: 22 September 2012, 12:40:36 »
Let me be the first to say "Absolutely beautiful!"  I'm glad it finally worked out to salvage the parts you needed and finding a way to 'justify' it.

JB
One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off
Pro pacis par vox excellens

Wolf Reaper

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Malo Mori Quam Foedari - Death Before Dishonor
« Reply #2 on: 22 September 2012, 12:56:53 »
That is amazing.  Do you mind if I try to mimic it?
Star Colonel Vladik Ward
318th Wolf Striker Cluster
"The Blood Pack"

Sic Vis Pacem Parabellum  -"Those who seek peace, prepare for war."
"Grant me stillness and serenity as my enemies pound and howl." -Incantation against bombardment

Vaaish

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 22 September 2012, 14:00:58 »
I think you've done an excellent job on everything EXCEPT the open missile bays. Are those just flat painted on there? I'd really have seen about drilling that area out a bit and using some styrene rod to make the missiles rather than what it looks like you did there.

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 22 September 2012, 15:56:26 »
Do you mind if I try to mimic it?

Not at all...

I think you've done an excellent job on everything EXCEPT the open missile bays. Are those just flat painted on there? I'd really have seen about drilling that area out a bit and using some styrene rod to make the missiles rather than what it looks like you did there.

Yes, the missiles are just flat painted on... When I first did the hatch, I wasn't comfortable with certain things (Like trying to drill out 15 missile holes). Then when I restarted this a week or so ago, the cover was in the way. Finally, when the hatch snapped, I was almost done and didn't want to risk the paint trying to drill it out....

As for styrene rod, AKA "The Devil's Jester", I've never had much luck trying to add missile tips. Usually they end up all different heights and not looking good... But it has been a while since I tried it, so maybe it is time to revisit that idea.

Caz

Saatch

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 22 September 2012, 16:05:08 »
That's really awesome, and I love hiding little easter eggs in the basing like that. Bravo!

Ronin Actual

• Warrant Officer
  • Bad Day?
« Reply #6 on: 22 September 2012, 16:12:18 »
That's great work.

GULAG

• Recruit
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #7 on: 22 September 2012, 16:25:35 »
Fantastic piece of work on such an iconic mech.
I <3 Giant Robots

Vaaish

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 22 September 2012, 16:44:51 »
As for styrene rod, AKA "The Devil's Jester", I've never had much luck trying to add missile tips. Usually they end up all different heights and not looking good... But it has been a while since I tried it, so maybe it is time to revisit that idea.

There's a trick to it. Make them all longer than you need and then concentrate on getting one end rounded to form the missile tip. Once you've got that, make sure all of the rounded ends are even and tape them together so they don't move. Then trim the back end so they are all the same length. After that it's jut a matter of drilling out the holes enough so that they are uniform which I try doing by putting a piece of tape around the bit to let me know when I've reached the correct depth.

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 22 September 2012, 17:09:07 »
There's a trick to it. <snip?

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to try that.

Caz

Nightstalker

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 22 September 2012, 17:14:16 »
I like that you changed the LL barrels to be shorter than the fist.  It has never made sense to me that a weapon barrel would extend past a mech's fist when you may need to use that fist.

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 22 September 2012, 17:43:28 »
Just Amazing! O0 [applause] [applause] [notworthy]

Dragoon1

• Warrant Officer
    • http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e62/GrungeVibe/dragoons.gif[/IMG]
« Reply #12 on: 22 September 2012, 18:05:27 »
That is a work of art!  Serious props on this beauty!  O0 O0 O0 8) [drool]

TheMaster1955

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 22 September 2012, 18:10:57 »
very nice 8) O0
Life: Some assembly required!

Tamad

• Corporal
    • A Singaporean Battletech Blog
« Reply #14 on: 22 September 2012, 21:16:48 »
Wow, that's awesome! Great attention to detail for the body on the street too.
A Singaporean Battletech Blog
http://battletechsg.wordpress.com/
Home of the Tukayyid Campaign 3049

Blacksheep

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 22 September 2012, 23:00:08 »
Stunning O0

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #16 on: 22 September 2012, 23:11:27 »
I love that you have the stones to hack up anything. Personally, I never really understood the kids that kept all their toys and comics in the shrink-wrap. I mean, they were made to enjoy-- not to sit in captivity. Way to rock this Archer!
I love the homage to the CityTech box set. That was/is one of my favorite pieces of Battletech art.  [applause]

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #17 on: 23 September 2012, 02:28:59 »
Have you finished Shorty Snead's frankenmech yet?

I have a Frankenmech I have yet to paint because....I have been told by my fabricator that if it doesn't
look awesome painted, he is going to kill me because it involved chopping up an Unseen Archer to do...
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 23 September 2012, 06:25:20 »
I don't normally post here (because someone may want to see MY mechs and, well, paint and I are not friends) but I have to say this is an incredible piece. The missiles did catch my eye too as not fitting the rest of the mech, but not something I would criticize and, after reading your explanation, something that completely makes sense. Just a humble suggestion, ignore at will. If the cover snaps off again lower the position so it covers the missile bay itself slightly more, making it harder for people to see in.

However, that is the only suggestion I can find on this piece. Overall it's incredible.
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

iior

• Master Sergeant
    • A Singaporean Battletech Blog
« Reply #19 on: 23 September 2012, 06:48:35 »
Fantastic piece of work there. I love small details on the bases. It simply adds that much more character.  O0
A Singaporean Battletech Blog
http://battletechsg.wordpress.com/
The Tukayyid Campaign 3047, now re-booted to 3049.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 23 September 2012, 07:42:10 »
 :o [notworthy]

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: 23 September 2012, 08:39:47 »
I love that you have the stones to hack up anything. Personally, I never really understood the kids that kept all their toys and comics in the shrink-wrap. I mean, they were made to enjoy-- not to sit in captivity.

Oh, I'm that guy too... At least when it comes to books and comics... I've got 11 long boxes with everything neatly bagged and backed... Of course it's all been sitting in the boxes since the late 90s, doing absolutely nothing.. As for my books... Most of my paperbacks don't even have a creased spine, and it's usually only with the 3-4 reading that they start to get one (and by then, they are usually 5+ years old).

But with printed words, you destroy a page, you mess up the story... Now with minis, you hack a lamely poses mini up and rebuild it, you not only have some different, you can also end up with something much better.

Of course, it never hurts that when I came back to BattleTech I was broke. All I had to work with was unseen (because that was what I had boxed away from when I first played)... You kind of lose the awe/taboo of hacking them up, when they were the first things you hacked up...  ;)

Have you finished Shorty Snead's frankenmech yet?

Shorty's FrankenMech was painted back around June of 2010 and posted here... I'll assume the reboot (or whatever) that happened, canned all the images.

For this one, I did things a little different...

I attempted to salvage the metal hatch cover, which is really a pain (I abandon that with the 2K and went to Strip Styrene. Then was forced to brass). I also dug out the missile port, something I skipped on the 2K... The missile heads are still just painted flat, although thanks to Vaaish, the 2K may be the last time you see that. I have trouble with my green mixtures liking to separate, so I'm not ecstatic about the way the color came out. And I was a little to heavy with the sealant, which lost me some detail... Plus, this was painted before I switched to painting the sides black, so the grey and white is a little cheesy...

But live and learn...

As for needing to paint it awesome... I'm a computer guy. I'd listen to people complain about their old computers, so I'd ask "Why not buy a new one". Inevitably, I'd get an answer like "Well, I'm waiting until the best one comes out"... Which of course, NEVER HAPPENS!!!.. There is always something new around the corner. Always something better, faster, cooler, whatever.... Painting is a lot like that. I've painted the "ultimate" mini, only to see my painting improve. And like my 2K above, even if I had painted it just as good 2+ years ago, the base wouldn't have been anywhere near as good...

So my advice is, paint it... Do the best job you can. If it ends up that 5 years from now you can do a better job, strip it, rebuild it and repaint it... Enjoy the mini...

And whoever built it for you was wrong... He hacked up an Archer, a Rifleman, a Phoenix Hawk AND stole the arm from a Warhammer... If he did it right  ^-^

Caz
« Last Edit: 24 October 2016, 12:17:35 by Cazaril »

HavocTheWarDog

• Captain
  • Lead or Follow, but get outa my way!
« Reply #22 on: 23 September 2012, 10:15:09 »
That IS some seriously IMPRESSIVE work...WOW! O0 O0 [drool]
"Veni Vidi Vici"

Deathknight69

• Captain
  • Supernaturalizing the universe !!
« Reply #23 on: 23 September 2012, 10:28:18 »
I second what HavocTheWarDog said.  [drool] :o.

If I had even 1/10000th of your skill, My pile of metal would be awesome. Truly great work there Cazaril, Truly great  O0 :o ;)!!
"Remember kids, Ammo explosion's are as much fun as friendly fire and incoming fire has the right-of-way." - ShadowSeraph
Avatar by Wombat, Thanks again to the blue fuzzy marsupial of wanton destruction.
"SRM Carrier. It's actual combat value is irrelevant; the face of a player when one of their 'mechs takes a point-blank shot from one is priceless!  ^-^" - Fireangel
"What's a little canon-deviation amongst friends and enemies" - Self
Quote from: DarkSpade on August 10, 2022, 15:23:40
If you think about it, the perfect merc lives long enough to complete the objective, but not long enough to get paid.
Well, there's an Obi-Wan level point of view comment for you ...  xp
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 15:35:06 by Wolf72 »

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #24 on: 23 September 2012, 10:31:04 »
Very nice O0.
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: 23 September 2012, 13:42:02 »
If I had even 1/10000th of your skill, My pile of metal would be awesome. Truly great work there Cazaril, Truly great !!

In the 3+ years since I returned to BattleTech, I've finished maybe (maybe) 50 pieces... That by no means is a pile. It's more like a small stack.

On average, it takes 2-4 weeks to complete 1 piece. Time varies on the amount of repose/bashing, additional added details, the basing and the big one, real life... The process is slow, and I'll be lucky to get a couple of battalions done in the next few years... Definitely not a "paint up an army for the weekend" style..

Caz