Author Topic: What would you bid to take this planet?  (Read 5162 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: What would you bid to take this planet?
« Reply #30 on: 16 March 2018, 17:39:08 »
Size      Clan
Light      25
Medium   50
Heavy   70
Assault   90

After testing BA was determined to be 10 since it was never included in the SB's system.

Well, that is the Tukayyid point system which I have seen hold up pretty well- a star of lights is going to count for more than a star of assaults.  It also did not distinguish frontline/secondline but we talked about dropping 5 points in each class for the secondline equipment.  SL had its own column that I did not include.

Also, it should be like the original invasion or any of the 4SW Capellan world invasions- take the government and force it to surrender and the world is 'captured.'  Its also going to follow some other standard patterns, the invaders are going to need to capture the primary spaceport, seat of government/capital, and major industry which is also what the defenders would typically be clustered around.  Once the Hellions have control of those then its a matter of dealing with renegades/survivors . . .

I think the bid of two light stars and a Elemental star holds up unless you only have the Hellions fighting on close quarters maps.  Those two light stars should be able to fall back to reload and repair, which means over time they can hammer down the defenders.  If the defenders get offplanet reinforcements . . . well, then its all off and everything comes down IMO.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: 17 March 2018, 04:50:42 »
Two things i like to point out.

For my understanding it is the second attack of the Hellions on Somerset - and there are other attacks before. So the defenders will know something about their enemy. And they are prepared for the second attack.
We know they have artillery. So fortified positions with artillerie support are likely to be sieged. Hellions light strike stars will most likely fail on that task. I dont believe the IS will fight the Hellions in open terrain this time.

The other point - Colt Ward, you need to change your bid. The Adder will be produced 9 years after that scenario take place.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #32 on: 17 March 2018, 07:57:22 »
Hm, duly noted I just went with the original invasion machines . . . lets see . . . I guess that would mean more Kit Foxes and mixing in a pair of Coyotl, Prime and A.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #33 on: 17 March 2018, 10:14:28 »
OOC: Chaff?  I'll show you Chaff...

Ten Omnis and a single Star of Toads are my signature move.... A Nova'd Star in a Binary form,  if you will. Adding another Star of Tank / Infantry combo enhances my reputation a bit. And I did state that the Huey was part of the three points, so bare artillery / ADA format since I went to a "Lance" formation. A "Squadron" of six aerospace Fighters rounds me out.

Chaff.... Psh!  ;D

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #34 on: 17 March 2018, 20:02:27 »
It's six oclock on the west coast, I'm calling the bidding closed.

Colt Ward's Bid of 2 stars of mechs and one star of elementals currently stands as lowest, so unless I blew reading comprehension, I declare his bid the winner.

Thanks all for your participation.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 18 March 2018, 21:03:50 »
In case anybody is wondering, today Clan Ice Hellion claimed victory on Somerset after a hard fought battle for the capital city. The militia quickly withdrew into the city after the initial engagement and inflicted heavy losses in brutal house to house fighting. Two separate decapitation strikes failed to take out the enemy commander, and the heavy losses required that additional forces be brought down, but in the end, the Clan triumphed in crushing enemy resistance. All that remains is to mop up surviving militia and cadet forces that have fled into the wilderness.

Thanks again for your participation in this fun little exercise.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

GermanSumo

• Sergeant
« Reply #36 on: 19 March 2018, 11:43:42 »
In case anybody is wondering, today Clan Ice Hellion claimed victory on Somerset after a hard fought battle for the capital city. The militia quickly withdrew into the city after the initial engagement and inflicted heavy losses in brutal house to house fighting. Two separate decapitation strikes failed to take out the enemy commander, and the heavy losses required that additional forces be brought down, but in the end, the Clan triumphed in crushing enemy resistance. All that remains is to mop up surviving militia and cadet forces that have fled into the wilderness.

Thanks again for your participation in this fun little exercise.

well done, warriors. and liam... i think i speak for all of us: do this again :D

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #37 on: 19 March 2018, 12:07:08 »
I missed this before, but yeah, this is a neat idea. I like doing things this way, might borrow it for a future campaign. Crowdsourced zellbrigen. Genius!

That said, my bid would be five stars of Elementals and a whole pile of methamphetamines for them.  :excited:
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #38 on: 19 March 2018, 12:50:46 »
I am actually curious . . . can you tell me what the match up ended up being and losses?  Any pictures of the battlefield?
Colt Ward

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #39 on: 19 March 2018, 13:22:31 »
I am actually curious . . . can you tell me what the match up ended up being and losses?  Any pictures of the battlefield?

I'm curious about this too.  :D

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 19 March 2018, 18:18:52 »
OOC: dont forget to declare a winner for the circle of equal between the two warriors. and remember its 3001. circles back then usually didnt end in fatalities over the matter of "bids".

Who won Liam?  ::)

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 19 March 2018, 18:57:54 »
No pictures, and unfortunately the scale was such that we couldn't game out the entirety of the battle.

However, broad strokes:

The defenders turned out to be much tougher than expected.* The projections were technically (mostly) accurate, but the details, which the Ice Hellions only fully learned when the battle was joined, were much harsher than expected.

The initial clash saw a battle between a company of manticores and two stars of omnimechs. Meanwhile, the Ice Hellions identified the commanders and dropped a star of elementals on them. This command post turned out to be the same four mechs that had defeated the previous invasion (two phoenix hawk LAMs, a Griffin, and a heavily modified commando), except that they'd managed to upgrade their machines with a few clan tech weapons. One of the LAMs had also traded its machine guns for a pair of bomb bays and managed to kill two points outright with fuel air bombs. After losing half of their forces, the elementals requested hegira, but were denied and then wiped out. The elementals damaged three of the four mechs, one fairly badly.

The loss of the elementals led to the first break in the bid, which saw additional elementals called down. The hellions then advanced into the city. The defenders relied heavily on a mixture of SRM Carriers, Hetzers, Saladins, and field gun equipped infantry, and while the clans had air superiority and could move about the city at will, each strong point was murder to clear out. Additional reinforcements (second line mechs, the rest of their elementals, and a few points of aerofighters to hunt artillery) allowed them to win out.

The second headhunting strike was launched against the militia command center in the middle of the city. Three points of elementals were dropped on the roof and started killing their way down, forcing the command staff to evacuate through underground tunnels to other bases. Once the command staff was clear, the defenders blew out the bottom of the building (using stored ammunition in the nearby mech bay) and dropped it on top of the elementals.

Another unexpected element was a contingent of pirate mechs that had apparently sought sanctuary on Somerset. Half of these deserted and attempted to surrender shortly after the Hellions land. Some more were killed, but one suspiciously well equipped lance fought very well, then withdrew to a hidden ship after the city fell. Recovered records revealed the commander of this lance was named Tasha Kay ( ;) ), but nothing else about them.

After the city fell, the Ice Hellions took the Somerset Academy without resistance. The training battalion was kept out of action by order of the commandant for some reason and withdrew into the wilderness. The defending commander and his or her (depending on who you ask) immediate staff left the planet soon after, but their ship was so small that it could only carry about a lance of mechs anyway.

All told, the total Ice Hellion force included two front line mech stars, three second line mech stars, five elemental stars, one vehicle star (which mostly didn't see any action) and three points of aerofighters.

The defenders basically lost their armored forces, artillery, and field guns in the capital battle, but still fields considerable light infantry assets that will have to be cleaned up, plus the training battalion. Their senior leadership has left the planet however, and the Commonwealth government has already sent a ship to evacuate the training battalion. 

*The composition of the defenders was determined by Monbvol, who is playing the character of the planetary ruler, and had the defense budget appropriate to a character with a world as a landhold to work with (discussed in A Time of War Companion)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #42 on: 19 March 2018, 19:07:29 »
Looks like a win for Monbvol to me... those guerilla forces will be murder on the occupiers...

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 19 March 2018, 21:09:02 »
I wonder if my unit would have won? After all I did include an Artillery Point, and tripled the Aero that Tai Dai bided for and brought up some Infantry...

Not to mention I did state in my initial bid paired Novas, a Support Secondline Star and a Single Nova of Tanks and Infantry as well as a Star of Aero.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #44 on: 22 March 2018, 00:04:23 »
Yeah a lack of proper planning kept us from properly playing this out as I'm pretty sure I could have extracted a much heftier blood price with how I setup the militia but defeat probably was inevitable.

Might have to give this another more proper go to see how it would really go.

For funsies I'll attach the militia MekHQ file I used to put all this together since I preserved it from before any combat with the Ice Hellions.  It does not include the academy training battalion or the PCs but covers everything else at the start of the campaign.  Salaries modifiers are not 100% correct but considering there are some questions about how they are supposed to be set they should work.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #45 on: 22 March 2018, 14:15:00 »
Give us a chance again to help...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse