Author Topic: Does Dusk Affect Visual Spotting Distance?  (Read 1411 times)

Captain Punka

• Sergeant
Does Dusk Affect Visual Spotting Distance?
« on: 10 May 2020, 13:26:17 »
Does dusk affect LOS when not using the "Concealing Unit Data" rules?  The Commander Alpha rules are a little unclear to me.

-------------

(p. 40) Line of Sight - "There is a maximum range to line of sight for ground units of 42”. This may be reduced if using advanced environmental conditions (see Environmental Conditions, p. 61)."

(p.61) "If using the optional Concealing Unit Data rules (p. 153), several environmental conditions affect the range of visual spotting. A unit’s line of sight has a maximum range limited by its greatest spotting range, either visual or from a probe."

(p. 62) Darkness - Only references a target number penalty (no mention of spotting limitations).

(p. 157) Concealing Unit Data - Visual spotting rules seem applicable only to identifying blip counters.

-------------

So, it seems to me that if we are playing with Dusk but not with Concealing Unit Data, that you would incur the +1 target number modifier (p. 58), but ignore any rules related to the maximum 10" visual spotting distance (p. 157).  Is that correct?

Follow-up related question.  The Darkness rules (p. 62) say that mechs ignore this target number modifier.  So, if playing in Dusk, and assuming the above is true that LOS is not limited to 10", it seems there is really no game effect except for vehicles and infantry.  Is that correct?
« Last Edit: 10 May 2020, 13:28:34 by Captain Punka »

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
Re: Does Dusk Affect Visual Spotting Distance?
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2020, 20:28:56 »
Dusk does not affect LOS if you are not using the Concealing Units rules.  It only imposes the +1 modifier on all ranged attacks.

And I'm surprised that mechs don't take the penalty for darkness if they don't have a searchlight.  I'm going to have to see what Total Warfare says on the subject.

Edit:  So after checking the BattleMech manual, mechs take all penalties for darkness, dusk, etc., in Classic.  The two exceptions being if the mech carries a searchlight (like the Warhammer), or the target is a mech with 25 points or more on the heat scale.  Why this does not carry over to Alpha Strike is a question for the gurus.

So those in the know, should Battlemechs be taking the penalty for adverse lighting conditions same as Total Warfare, or should we be playing the AS rules as written?
« Last Edit: 10 May 2020, 20:40:18 by Valkerie »
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2020, 20:46:50 »
Searchlights have no cost, weight or slots on BattleMechs.
TO p57, “if all players agree, mechs lacking searchlights can be designated as having a mounted searchlight for the duration.”
BF gave all mechs the searchlight special ability. When we added defined units types, we just gave all mechs the ability without having to list the special ability over and over again.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Captain Punka

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2020, 10:34:52 »
Thanks for the answers guys!  They totally make sense and I think the rules are in line with trying to keep Alpha fast and simple. 

What do you think about the following house rule to add a little more complexity to the darkness rules and to make them relevant to mechs instead of just infantry/vehicles.

"Mechs and units with searchlights (SRCH) can ignore all darkness modifiers at short range and penalties are halved (round down) at medium range.  Units possessing light active probes (LPRB) extend these ranges by one and those possessing active probes (PRB) by two."

This rule would make units with probes better at night time operations which might affect the points value, but this seems situational and appropriate to the gear.  Thoughts?

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2020, 10:53:30 »
If I were to make searchlights more complicated, I would probably go more towards having searchlights pick a single target to illuminate, but illuminate the unit with the searchlight to all attackers.  And having searchlights be destroyed pretty quickly (not needing to go internal, something where every hit is likely to take out the searchlight).
So it starts off well, but devolves into darkness as the searchlights go out (and as the only remaining searchlights become the only targets...).
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Captain Punka

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2020, 11:46:39 »
Those are some great ideas!  I like them!  Maybe something easy like any damaging hit destroys the search light on a 7+.

Also, would you suggest that if the search lights are on, anyone firing at that unit also ignores darkness modifiers?  (Since light is emanating from that target making it easier to see.)

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2020, 11:53:30 »
Yep, both those sound good.

Perhaps also allow searchlights to be turned on/off in the Heat Phase. 
« Last Edit: 11 May 2020, 12:07:33 by nckestrel »

Captain Punka

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 11 May 2020, 13:39:14 »
For my house rules, I'm ignoring the idea about illuminating one target. I'm just saying that a mech with searchlights ignores penalties (for itself only) and being attacked also ignores penalties.  This streamlines the rules since you don't have to mark what units are illuminated.  Plus from a realistic perspective, it may be hard to coordinate illuminating a target with another attacker since the unit with the searchlight is reacting to a changing environment (i.e. spinning around, shooting weapons, being rocked by incoming damage, etc.).

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #8 on: 11 May 2020, 20:44:13 »
Those are some great ideas!  I like them!  Maybe something easy like any damaging hit destroys the search light on a 7+.

Also, would you suggest that if the search lights are on, anyone firing at that unit also ignores darkness modifiers?  (Since light is emanating from that target making it easier to see.)
That would work as those are the exact rules from Classic.  I've used them once in Alpha Strike and had no real issues, other than most of the searchlights were toast by turn 5 or 6 I think.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Register