Author Topic: Unseen Warships?  (Read 7956 times)

Arvanna

• Warrant Officer
  • Bayonets foreward Boys...CHARGE!!!!!!
Re: Unseen Warships?
« Reply #30 on: 27 November 2013, 07:36:10 »
I thought that was more do to Stone committing his (borrowed) naval assets in conveniently maul-able bites thru out each phase of the assault on Terra  :D

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #31 on: 27 November 2013, 11:41:50 »
Are you saying Stone was part of a conspiracy to bleed off the combat power of the various factions, weakening them enough to drink the Kool-Aid?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Stormcrow

• Major
  • Art by Shimmering Sword
« Reply #32 on: 27 November 2013, 11:50:22 »
Are you saying Stone was part of a conspiracy to bleed off the combat power of the various factions, weakening them enough to drink the Kool-Aid?
Sure. Why not? I've always thought he was a WoBblie, a Conter-Reformer or an Expatriate member
Commandant Otto Maurus, ARWH-1Z ArcHammer, Maurus' Minutemen
Captain Obadiah Sykes, OSR-5FCR Ostroc, Second Filtvelt Citizens Militia

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. - Confucius
Noli Timure Messorem
May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. - Voltaire
Wielder of the Ferro-Carbide Bat of DOOMâ„¢

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #33 on: 27 November 2013, 12:29:24 »
All those pictures of the 3057er Truth are Comstar propaganda to let us think the Truth is better than it is. It is an old barge lacking all upgrades, just held together by faith and prayers. Also the reason it lost the critical battle in the Jihad.  :D

You realize that just makes the Clan fleets worse, since she fought several naval engagements against them, right?  ;D
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Stormfury

• Major
  • Death couldn't stop me. How will you?
« Reply #34 on: 27 November 2013, 17:56:33 »
Those engagements were ones in which Serpent's WarShip contingent had substantial edges in numbers, mass, and firepower. It still wasn't pretty.
Mordin Solus: We need a plan to stop them.
John Shepard: We fight or we die. That's the plan.
Ashley Williams: Wow. That's the plan? Is it just me, or did Shepard have better plans before he died?
Urdnot Wrex: Silence! This is the best plan anyone, anywhere has ever had!
Garrus Vakarian: Yes! I AM SO THERE I AM THERE ALREADY!
Tali'Zora vas Normandy: *Facepalm*

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #35 on: 28 November 2013, 06:13:50 »
The 2750 art was far superior they looked like ships rather than a collection of tubes and right angles.  The 3057 book with the ships like the Farragut class in it has waaaaaay better art for the old warhorses than the rest of the book with the 'redone' and uglified ships.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #36 on: 29 November 2013, 18:15:33 »
You know, there is another way you can have your cake and eat it too for your own "headcanon".

The Starsword and Invisible Truth coexisted for a long period of time, before Starsword was stripped down for parts to keep the Invisible Truth running.  ComStar may have chosen to do the upgrade to 3057-spec for the Invisible Truth at the same time.
Invisible Truth is custom anyway. It mount Krakens.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 29 November 2013, 21:47:39 »
Custom, yes. But still a 3057 Cameron at its core.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #38 on: 29 November 2013, 22:56:07 »
Custom, yes. But still a 3057 Cameron at its core.
LF Battery?

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 29 November 2013, 23:03:43 »
LF Battery?

3057, not Clan 3057.  Though I sure as heck would have put one in.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #40 on: 29 November 2013, 23:13:31 »
Interestingly, I am pretty sure we have pictorial evidence of Turtle Bay being bombarded by both versions of the ships involved.

For what it is worth in divining form from pictures.

Legatus

• Corporal
« Reply #41 on: 29 November 2013, 23:45:01 »
The original write-up in Battlespace actually refers to the Sabre Cat using this spelling and being a Texas class battleship.  I have wondered about the sequence of events that led to its name and class change.
« Last Edit: 03 December 2013, 18:34:23 by Legatus »

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #42 on: 30 November 2013, 00:07:41 »
Interestingly, I am pretty sure we have pictorial evidence of Turtle Bay being bombarded by both versions of the ships involved.

For what it is worth in divining form from pictures.

In invading clans there is an image of a modern Essex and what appears to be a stylized Vincent  bombarding Turtle bay.

There's also a picture of a 2750 Texas in extreme close orbit of a planet earlier in the book. Could these be what you're thinking of?
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #43 on: 30 November 2013, 11:09:59 »
I don't have the source in mind, but from the time when i first heard/read of the bombardment i always thought it was a Texas. Not sure why. But i remember being confused when i later heard of those small ships.
The number of Texas battleships in service is low. I know the Falcon ship looks like the 2750er art. I'm pretty sure the Prince Eugen was also never upgraded - but it is unlikely to see that ship in the IS. All others are by my knowledge 3057er art.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #44 on: 30 November 2013, 11:24:01 »
I don't have the source in mind, but from the time when i first heard/read of the bombardment i always thought it was a Texas. Not sure why. But i remember being confused when i later heard of those small ships.
The number of Texas battleships in service is low. I know the Falcon ship looks like the 2750er art. I'm pretty sure the Prince Eugen was also never upgraded - but it is unlikely to see that ship in the IS. All others are by my knowledge 3057er art.

A wreck of a Texas Class Battleship was used as battlefield during the Clan invasion of 3050s, on Devin.  It was in the old Jade Falcon sourcebook. Only problem with ship, it was victim of the Amaris Coup, which hard to be target way in Lyran space. Neverless the Boneyard interesting battletech scenario for mechs fight in.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #45 on: 30 November 2013, 17:54:54 »

The Battlespace Rulebook/Sourcebook identifies the ship that did it as a Texas named the Sabre Cat. I believe it has been said that the Clantroops expansion to battletroops said the Sabre Cat (as an Essex class vessel) did the bombardment, but the Texas class Veiled Huntress was on site at the time (presumably to explain the prior confusion).

Later sources settled on the Essex class for the Sabre Cat, and eventually the existence of the Veiled Huntress was confirmed in FM:Updates. So the Clantroops story is probably the official explanation.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #46 on: 01 December 2013, 13:25:43 »
Thanks for that. Lacking Clantroops i never heard that - but it sounds like a reasonable explanation for the Inplay confusion.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #47 on: 01 December 2013, 17:30:11 »
I think Dragon Roars also confirmed the Jags having a Texas class in their fleet.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: 05 December 2013, 19:57:57 »
I really liked seeing the 2750 art make a healthy appearance in the Liberation of Terra books.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #49 on: 05 December 2013, 20:25:12 »
Yep, though it does seem to show those ships blowing up a lot.  Of course, that could also explain why so much of the Clan fleet is 3057 art: those were the late production ships that survived.