Author Topic: AToW piolet/gunnery skill conversion to Alpha Strike: how do?  (Read 2544 times)

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
I know how to convert piolet and gunnery skills from A Time of War (i.e. AToW) to Total Warfare. However, sometimes my group is stressed for time, and we want to switch over to Alpha Strike. Is there a conversion formula some place to convert our AToW piolet and gunnery skills over to Alpha Strike's one skill?

DarkJaguar

• Master Sergeant
Re: AToW piolet/gunnery skill conversion to Alpha Strike: how do?
« Reply #1 on: 03 April 2018, 20:21:15 »
The skill ratings are abstracted, but if I recall correctly the gist of it is..

Wet Behind the Ears = 7
Very Green = 6
Green = 5
Regular = 4
Veteran = 3
Elite = 2
Heroic = 1
Legendary = 0

I think the Gunnery/Pilot ratings have equivalents to these as well.

Xochi

• Sergeant
  • Three strengths he gave us.
« Reply #2 on: 03 April 2018, 20:30:39 »
They adjust the PV of the unit being piloted, but since you may of Role Played the pilot skill up, I would ignore this and just go by what rating they are, such as Veteran.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 03 April 2018, 21:52:17 »
Since Alpha Strike does not use PSRs in any phase of the game outside of aerospace units, the Alpha Strike skill level is equivalent to the Gunnery.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

OpacusVenatori

• Master Sergeant
  • Honor above all, Except of Vengance
« Reply #4 on: 04 April 2018, 07:53:39 »
From AToW yo classic battletech the convertion is 10-skill level, there you will get the gunnery and the piloting of the character.

Then from classic to ALPHA STRIKE you add your classic battletech gunnery and piloting and then divide by 2. (G+P)/2 = SKILL RATING.

That's all.
While some fight with honor, Others win battles

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 04 April 2018, 10:33:09 »
Since Alpha Strike does not use PSRs in any phase of the game outside of aerospace units, the Alpha Strike skill level is equivalent to the Gunnery.

I'm with OpacusVenatori.  Not only are AS skill values derived from both piloting and gunnery at the TW scale (which can in turn be derived from ATOW scale)... you do have more than a few corner cases in AS where you make a Skill check for things that'd be considered Pilot-related in TW-scale.   Lots of terrain navigation examples (Skill check to avoid bogging down, etc) but yes just nothing knockdown related as that's not a concept in AS.

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 04 April 2018, 11:43:43 »
From AToW yo classic battletech the convertion is 10-skill level, there you will get the gunnery and the piloting of the character.

Then from classic to ALPHA STRIKE you add your classic battletech gunnery and piloting and then divide by 2. (G+P)/2 = SKILL RATING.

That's all.

THANK YOU

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #7 on: 04 April 2018, 13:34:25 »
THANK YOU

Warning: Round down.  eg: G4/P5 = 4+5=9 /2 = 4.5.  This would be Skill 4.
G4/P4 = 8/2 = 4, skill 4
G3/P5 = 8/2 = 4, skill 4
G3/P4 = 7/2 = 3.5, skill 3
G4/P3 = 7/2 = 3.5, skill 3

Now you could make an argument that a G3/P5 should be skill 3, but meh. house rule it if you have to.
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

kronovan

• Corporal
« Reply #8 on: 17 April 2018, 15:24:28 »
I'm with OpacusVenatori.  Not only are AS skill values derived from both piloting and gunnery at the TW scale (which can in turn be derived from ATOW scale)... you do have more than a few corner cases in AS where you make a Skill check for things that'd be considered Pilot-related in TW-scale.   Lots of terrain navigation examples (Skill check to avoid bogging down, etc) but yes just nothing knockdown related as that's not a concept in AS.

I'm with both of you and in fact it's what I'm doing for my AToW Mech combat encounters that use the Alpha Strike rules. Just basing the AS unified skill on AToW's Gunney skill, allows players to really beef up Gunnery for their PC's and consequently exploit the system. Not to mention, as has already been stated,  there are some skill checks in AS that more resemble a piloting check.

Register