Author Topic: Multiple Turrets  (Read 1805 times)

Suralin

• Lieutenant
Multiple Turrets
« on: 09 July 2019, 21:22:47 »
I've already looked at the TacOps rules regarding dual-turret tanks, but those rules wouldn't properly fit what I'm trying to stat out.

Namely, I'm working on a few World War II tanks which had either side-by-side turrets, or more than two.

In addition to the historical context, I'm fairly sure players (and maybe devs) have wanted to stat out something along these lines. Are there any existing rules for this, or should I get to homebrewin'?

RifleMech

• Major
Re: Multiple Turrets
« Reply #1 on: 10 July 2019, 00:42:41 »
Have you considered using Sponsons? I know they usually conjure the image  of the WWI British Mark tanks but there's no reason they couldn't be mounted on top of the tank side by side. They'd still have the same degree of rotation. The multiple turret one would have Dual Turrets and Sponson Turrets.

Suralin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 10 July 2019, 06:04:37 »
I thought about that. It would mostly work, but not entirely.

The NbFz is rare enough I can ignore it, and I suppose your solution could hold for the T-28. But the T-35 has five, count 'em, five turrets, which was and is ridiculous. Too many for even those rules to account for.

As for the Vickers 6T and its derivatives, the main reason I don't want to do sponsons there is because the turrets stick up from the hull a fair bit, and there's damage-section and visibility factors to consider. I was thinking of modifying the Dual-Turret rules to that effect.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #3 on: 11 July 2019, 10:50:23 »
The secondary turrets on the T-35 had fairly limited firing arcs. I'd almost be inclined to count at least some of them as hull-mounted guns.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 11 July 2019, 11:35:42 »
In the course of a Battletech turn, I think there will be enough maneuvering going on that sponsons and dual turrets along with the standard fire arcs should suffice, even for the multi-turreted tanks. 

You can always house rule limited firing arcs, or extend a side firing arc to include the direct front line or rear of boxes too

Suralin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 11 July 2019, 20:27:26 »
The secondary turrets on the T-35 had fairly limited firing arcs. I'd almost be inclined to count at least some of them as hull-mounted guns.
You can always house rule limited firing arcs, or extend a side firing arc to include the direct front line or rear of boxes too

Y'know, these are excellent points. The Japanese tanks in the actual XTRO (and IRL) both had a "Turret (Rear)" MG that only fired in the opposite arc of the turret's main gun. I could probably finagle the secondary turrets in such a fashion. Thanks! :)

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 12 July 2019, 11:29:24 »
Treat as mech shoulder turrets?

Does the hit location table for twin turret vees have any front/back differences?
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 13 July 2019, 01:00:19 »

I thought about that. It would mostly work, but not entirely.

The NbFz is rare enough I can ignore it, and I suppose your solution could hold for the T-28. But the T-35 has five, count 'em, five turrets, which was and is ridiculous. Too many for even those rules to account for.

As for the Vickers 6T and its derivatives, the main reason I don't want to do sponsons there is because the turrets stick up from the hull a fair bit, and there's damage-section and visibility factors to consider. I was thinking of modifying the Dual-Turret rules to that effect.

Like others have said, those with limited firing arcs you could just fluff as being in turrets with limited firing arcs.

The Dual Turret rules might work.

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #8 on: 15 July 2019, 09:58:27 »
Could you combine superheavy vehicle rules with sponson turrets to get what you're looking for? IIRC superheavy vehicles have a forward left and rear left facing, each of which could accept a sponson turret.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)