Author Topic: Cached out?  (Read 30333 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Re: Cached out?
« Reply #60 on: 25 September 2019, 13:15:31 »
I didn't think phenotypes were allowed to test into different fields, save for maybe unarmored infantry.

Depends on the Clan.  The Bears do it regularly and I want to say that the Cloud Cobras do it with some of their warriors but I can't remember for certain.

But even in Clans where it is allowed, you wouldn't have a very high population of warriors who'd been trained as both mechwarriors and ASF pilots.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #61 on: 25 September 2019, 13:37:39 »
Cobras have a reserve list of ASF pilots . . . but JUST pilots IIRC . . . do they pilot SC, DS and VTOLs if they are on that list?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #62 on: 11 October 2019, 07:55:38 »
Ihmo yes.
And they might pilot Protomechs.
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #63 on: 11 October 2019, 09:34:12 »
Not what I meant . . . as I understand it from some of the Raven pilot training bits . . . at some point in sibko training they will split off Aero phenotypes who are at the bottom of the class for VTOL piloting (probably the 1st cut), then DS/SC/WS, and the cream of each sibko become ASF pilots.  Does make you wonder how a DS or WS trained pilot passes their Trial of Position . . .

But the Cobras have that list . . . they are reserve ASF pilots for each cluster IIRC.  Are they attached, sitting around in the ready rooms & waiting while getting in hours in simulators and the occasional stick time- and that is it- or are they assigned to the cluster in the reserve slot but pilot a Donar while waiting for a open ASF cockpit?  Nevermind the two craft flight very differently . . .

I would NOT expect them to pilot Protos, that is VERY different and requires different training & adjustment.  Did the Cobras raid the bottom third of their reserve lists to push everyone else down a status run to get Proto pilots?  Very possible IMO.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #64 on: 12 October 2019, 08:31:15 »
Proto pilots originally came from failed Aerospace cadets. Until the rise of a dedicated protomech phenotype they probably continued to recruit the pilots that way.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
« Reply #65 on: 12 October 2019, 10:59:39 »
  Never. SL Military caches are everywhere, and range from tiny, squad-level chests of junk to hollowed-out mountains, filled with preserved battlemechs. There are so many, the SL forgot most of them before the Exodus and the Clans had records of the many that had to be left behind. Universe-wise, they will always be around, like Stingers...

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #66 on: 12 October 2019, 13:41:48 »
There could always been lost caches but as far as the Clans know, they're all used up.

It'd make for a fun campaign though.  :) Clan finds info about a lost cache and has to race other clans to get to it. And then fight them off the keep it.

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
« Reply #67 on: 12 October 2019, 14:37:32 »
There could always been lost caches but as far as the Clans know, they're all used up.

It'd make for a fun campaign though.  :) Clan finds info about a lost cache and has to race other clans to get to it. And then fight them off the keep it.
  That's been beaten to death in the IS. I even ran a campaign where one of the players started with information of a SL cache under a shopping mall, where the party had a battle with a Maskirova team during a Mardi Gras celebration.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #68 on: 12 October 2019, 15:28:51 »
Please tell me that the PCs and the Mask agents wound up fighting using strings of plastic beads as weapons at least once.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #69 on: 12 October 2019, 15:53:02 »
Hope they used Combat Cold Cuts and serving trays in the food court and Frisbee and yo-yos in the toy area.

And done to death in the IS or not it could still happen there or in Clan space. Any where really. And the cache doesn't have to be former SLDF either. It could be RWR or Wolverine.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #70 on: 12 October 2019, 18:04:10 »
Wolverines probably had no caches that weren't already opened and well known to build up after the Pentagon campaign.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #71 on: 12 October 2019, 22:14:41 »
I would thought they emptied them out and took off what they could transport from my impression of the novel.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #72 on: 12 October 2019, 23:45:05 »
Both the number of caches and their total inventory is entirely a plot device.  There could always be one or three that got overlooked if it's needed for story purposes.