Author Topic: Phoenix, AZ - League Campaign  (Read 27895 times)

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • I paid for my Atlas by selling action figures.
Phoenix, AZ - League Campaign
« on: 08 August 2018, 18:33:12 »
We've been doing giant games for quite a while, so it's time to try something new. We're switching to a one-on-one league format, which will allow us to get complete games in while also allowing players to bring more than two units.
Not interested in a campaign but want to get a game in? I'll be bringing a few forces you can borrow, or you can make a new force each time just for that battle without worrying about the bookkeeping of a campaign.
Player continuing from the old campaign? Send me your force changes by the day of the game (there's a section in the rules; see the link below).

Scenario: Meeting Engagement

Scenario Basics:
BV limit: 7100 BV for 4 units (other unit counts have different amounts -- see rules link)
Carried Infantry: Count as units for this battle.
Victory Condition 1 - Destroy one enemy unit (400 SP) Crippled units count as half, damaged units count as one quarter.
Victory Condition 2 - Destroy a second enemy unit (400 SP) Crippled units count as half, damaged units count as one quarter.
Salvage: The first player to two victory conditions is considered to hold the field; alternately, if one player is in sole possession of the field they may claim salvage. Choose one crippled or destroyed enemy unit still on the field; bonus is 40% (immobile)/20% (crippled)/10% (destroyed) of the unit’s purchase price in SP. (Note: Players do not actually capture other player’s units. This is just a simulation for points.)

Force Composition: See the campaign rules: https://docs.google.com/document/d/11X_BJb9u1OrqrnZn_9MaICt7IdXq1p0Ls7e6FtcwJas/edit?usp=sharing

Force Composition, Short Version: Create a mercenary force according to the rules (or ask the GM for one). Pick some units from that force to bring to the battle (4 units = 7100 BV; the full rules have other options).

Terrain: Each player gets to pick a map sheet (there are some restrictions -- see the rules). Battles will be played on two mapsheets.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
Re: Phoenix, AZ - League Campaign
« Reply #1 on: 26 August 2018, 00:33:58 »
Good first games! From observation and feedback, I'll be changing a few things; feel free to discuss them (and anything else campaign-related) here.
  • Change map placement. I'm thinking: 1. Roll off. 2. Loser places the map they selected in one of three positions -- vertical left, vertical right, horizontal near. 3. Winner places the map they selected in the remaining "slot" in either of the two orientations. 4. Game starts; winner wins round 1 initiative automatically. (We need to remove the overpowered-with-the-right-map home edge selection. This way you it's gone, but you still can't determine more than half of your opponent's home edge.)
  • Formal rules for unit withdrawal. My ruling (which I'll only change with good reason) is: Units exiting their home edge count as crippled for victory conditions. Units exiting any other edge count as destroyed for victory conditions, and are out one game (or one game more should they need repairs)
  • Base pay. We need something to help out the losing players -- it's a little harsh to make almost nothing if you lost a 2k SP unit.
  • Surrender. We need to change it so that the winning player doesn't feel cheated out of potential pay. I'm considering a one-round delay, though the "base pay" change above this may fix it. Suggestions?
  • Increasing the "correct miniature" bonus. It's pretty low; I'm thinking of doubling it. Also changing the faction bonus to a flat bonus like the miniature bonus, instead of a percentage.

csimian

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 26 August 2018, 07:37:16 »
RE Base Pay:
Maybe something where a percentage of the destroyed unit's SP is given back to the player after another game. Kind of like reinforcements are on the way. I do see a potential cause of frustratrion when one of the destroyed units is heavily modified. Maybe allowing the player to repurchase it at a discount later without having to wait for the refit time would help.

Another thing I had mentioned was to award players SP equal to the difference of the screnario BV limit and their force's BV. Just wanted to make sure you didn't forget about that suggestion.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #3 on: 26 August 2018, 11:13:00 »
I absolutely agree with the thoughts on Base Pay & Changing "Bonuses" to be flat amounts v/s percentages as I mentioned in our earlier rules discussions.
The Faction, Era, Paint, Mini awards won't mean much if they are based on 0 earnings and really performance should have Zero bearing on conforming to those rules/selection criteria.

For Base Pay I'd make that 25-50% of the planned award.
So yesterday's 400+400 would have actually been...... 200Base+300+300 or 400Base+200+200?

I like the map placement changes that we discussed & the new 3 position system.
I did think of 1 alternative option.
Perhaps 1 option should be that the first placer can choose which map they place in the 3 sections v/s just their own map choice?
Then dice off for initiative like normal for round 1?   Or give the looser the round 1 initiative? 

I noticed that Surrender gives the bonus only if the victor doesn't have all of the current objectives so if you win objectives & they surrender then there is still no bonus SP.
I mention this because that is different from what we talked about yesterday after the game so just looking clarification on it.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 26 August 2018, 11:30:38 »
I don't know about the other 3 games but I found the speed of our new 1v1 game to be much faster.

We got in 8 rounds v/s the old 4-7 & that was with calling the game a solid hour early.

Everyone else was done a full hour ahead of when we were it seemed.

I think this means there was a lot of "melee" going on with a "last man standing" effect.

For what its worth, I think that means that the 4 map option (provided we don't have more than 8 attendees) will get longer games for people since it would give more room for maneuver & I hope we shift to that option.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 26 August 2018, 13:01:06 »
After Action of 4th Game (SW Table)

Force East  (GM provided for non-campaign player)  AKA: "PPC Palooza"    4 Mechs

Awesome-9Q  (3/4)
Marauder-9M2  (4/5)
PhoenixHawk-8CS  (3/?)
Kabuto-7B  (4/5)

(This force seriously had me worried, minimal ammo, Zombies & Speed, all sorts of range...... If they get inside or take out a spotter I'm screwed)

Force West (Me)   "My HQ Unit, Omega Force, customized over the last 2 years for all sorts of C3 & Tag love, but not that much raw firepower over all, & semi fragile w/ XLs & Vehicles"

Rifleman-II-3N-DRefit  (CO, 3/4)
Firestarter-O-PPods   (3/5)
Ontos-Standard-DRefit  (4/5)
Crow-Dragonfly  (4/5)

2 Maps = River Valley & Desert Hills.

I won the dice off & placed River Valley near me sideways with L5 hill furthest & large forest closest.
My opponent placed Desert Hills near himself & declared that his home edge.

I won initiative on Turn 1 by default & also got it on Turn's 2 & 8,  I don't think I got it at all on Turns 3-7 but maybe 1 in there, IDK.

Turn-1 
Everyone moves on at a run except the Crow, I don't think there was any fire on either side,  maybe some long shots at the Crow at +5

Turn-2
Ontos gets out past the trees & Crow makes a beeline for the enemy rear area to TAG the Marauder for LRMs that nick the head.
Firestarter splits TAG & Plasma fire between the Kabuto & Pixie.
Return PPC fire was minimal as it was still long range for all but the Kabuto.

Turn-3
Rifleman gets out of the River & takes a ridge to lay down fire on the Kabuto which survives PPC/Cluster shot & split fire from the Ontos.
Firestarter snipes the Awesome w/ Plasma.
PPC return fire gets more accurate but still minimal.

Turn-4
Pixie takes massed fire from Ontos & Rifleman & is still standing. (Dang these speedsters are getting lucky & I'm 0 for umpteen on crit rolls)
Kabuto flanks Ontos to deliver a mobility hits, doh, down to 2/3 speed, and takes out the turret stabalizer, double DOH. 
Firestarter tags the Kabuto with a Plasma Rifle to the FACE, oh, that's warm in there now.

Turn-5
Rifleman turns on Awesome & its a battle of 80 tonners w/ Quad 10 Point taps to see who hits harder.  Pixie bounces into the Rifleman's rear & opens up the LT w/ a Snubbie.
Ontos lays into Marauder with 2 more head hits knocking out the pilot & sending it to the ground  (We forget to record the 4th hit from fall as his wake up roll was made on a 7 instead of 10)
Kabuto behind Ontos for backshots but Firestarter gets point blank with the Kabuto to alpha strike+kick & he survives!  Return kick from Kabuto is the only damage FS takes all game.
Crow hides on lost initiative as 2 Heavy/Assault mechs are on the prowl & in range.

Turn-6
Ontos & Rifleman dump fire into the Awesome while Pixie Parks & puts another Snubbie into the LT(R) of the Rifleman.
(Okay this just got dangerous & I screwed up my declarations & fired on the Awesome instead of the Parked Pixie in woods, DOH)
Kabuto gets last move continues to stab at Ontos from behind while leaving some woods in the way of the FS's return fire.
Marauder rolls to wake up on 7  (Should have been 10 in hindsight)
Crow still hides as Awesome moved last.

Turn-7
Rifleman remembers to target the Pixie behind him this time & cores it w/ the last of his 8 Slug rounds (I started w/ 80% ammo loads based on our usual short game times, back to cluster)
Firestarter's fire/kick are wasted as they were also on the Pixie.
Awesome takes indirect fire from the Ontos thanks to a TAG in the back by the Crow & finally cracks that armor open on the LT.

Turn-8
Ontos spins turret around to fire on Kabuto, first LPPC shot finishes off the XL so the 30 SRM's following it are not rolled.
Rifleman & Firestarter hammer the Awesome while return fire has opened up both Arms & CT of the Rifleman in addition to the open LTR. 
Rifleman looses Shoulder & an LB10X while Awesome looses entire LT/LA & takes head hits from Snubbie & Cluster.  Falls down for more damage.

The Game is called early with about an hour of play time still remaining.   Nice to get in more rounds & still finish earlier than usual.

Pixies is CT-Cored & Kabuto lost its XL.
Marauder is wounded but with open sections & pilot hits.
Awesome lost a Torso w/ half its firepower & heatsinks & pilot is out cold.

Ontos & Rifleman both suffered critical hits & are out next game.  Rifleman had 3 internals left in the side torso (rear) thanks to that bouncy Phoenix Hawk.  Very nice version, new to me.
Firestarter lost leg armor from Kabuto Kick while the Crow was untouched thanks to dodging PPC fire & a lot of hiding.

It took me till turn 7/8 to actually roll an 8+ for crits, hitting those would have speed up the win.
On the other side, the PPC boats took a little too long getting into Medium/Short range & their early fire suffered for that & it could have been much worse off for the Ontos & Rifleman had they taken more concentrated fire.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 26 August 2018, 18:00:15 »
RE Base Pay:
Maybe something where a percentage of the destroyed unit's SP is given back to the player after another game. Kind of like reinforcements are on the way. I do see a potential cause of frustratrion when one of the destroyed units is heavily modified. Maybe allowing the player to repurchase it at a discount later without having to wait for the refit time would help.

I want to see what the economics look like in play before paying for repairs, but I do like the idea of being able to recreate a custom with a reduced refit time. You've done the work once; you did keep notes, right?  ;)
As far as reducing destroyed units, having a "the game ends when one player reaches two victory conditions" rule should reduce that. Mercenaries rarely fight to the death -- there's no money in it!

Another thing I had mentioned was to award players SP equal to the difference of the screnario BV limit and their force's BV. Just wanted to make sure you didn't forget about that suggestion.

I had it written down, but wanted to think on it before bringing it up. But since you mention it, 1:1 is certainly too high -- think about the effect of "I bring 200 BV, and immediately retreat" on gameplay. Lots of SP, totally pointless, "why did you even drive to the store" battle. But 10% might be a good balance -- you get a few extra points if you're having trouble getting the BV correct, but it's not economic to try and lowball your force.

For Base Pay I'd make that 25-50% of the planned award.
So yesterday's 400+400 would have actually been...... 200Base+300+300 or 400Base+200+200?

Yeah, 200 base + 300/victory condition sounds about right.

I like the map placement changes that we discussed & the new 3 position system.
I did think of 1 alternative option.
Perhaps 1 option should be that the first placer can choose which map they place in the 3 sections v/s just their own map choice?
Then dice off for initiative like normal for round 1?   Or give the looser the round 1 initiative? 

How's this for balance:
Player 1 chooses a map from the two.
Player 2 places the remaining map anywhere except horizontal-far (i.e., setting the opponent's entire home edge).
Player 1 places the map they originally chose in either fitting orientation.
Player 1 wins round 1 initiative.

That's even more even than my previous (post-game) thought. I think player 2 is still the "winner," but it further prevents the "I bring a very wet map to split the board/make my artillery unreachable/etc." Speaking of that, I added a few "wet" maps to the banned list in the rules.

I think if I leave off all salvage and just use a "hold the field" victory condition that will be fine.

I noticed that Surrender gives the bonus only if the victor doesn't have all of the current objectives so if you win objectives & they surrender then there is still no bonus SP.
That was to keep the "runaway" payoffs out. But since the (unstated) intent was for games to end in the end-phase of any round in which a player had both victory conditions, getting both would pay better than getting one plus enemy surrender. So if game-end is better spelled out, I can lose that verbiage.

I'll start considering 4-map games once I get a bit more of a baseline for how things are going. Or if a majority asks for it.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 26 August 2018, 22:24:38 »
I had it written down, but wanted to think on it before bringing it up. But since you mention it, 1:1 is certainly too high -- think about the effect of "I bring 200 BV, and immediately retreat" on gameplay. Lots of SP, totally pointless, "why did you even drive to the store" battle. But 10% might be a good balance -- you get a few extra points if you're having trouble getting the BV correct, but it's not economic to try and lowball your force.

I heard you mention something like this yesterday.

I suggest the following.

If you are at least 1 full bracket (300 BV) less than your cap for # of units.

So say you bring 3 mechs (7400 BV allowed) but fit your BV into the 4 mech amount (7100) when you could have brought another unit or more BV, then you get a bonus.

Myself, I'm thinking something like 6/1 or 50 SP for being 300 BV less than allowed amount sounds like a good starting amount.

Call in Clan Bargaining, or call it Merc Thriftiness of using enough to get the job done w/o using up fuel & food deploying too many troops.

I'm unlikely to ever bring that much less unless I just don't have a unit that fits the BV I need & don't have the SP to buy another, but if people want to try fighting w/ less, then more  power to them.  And it is a decent compensation for those who don't have a complete roster or who just want a challenge of winning with less.

Another example:
I bring an uber clan death machine w/ elite pilot for 6499 BV in a single unit.
But single unit BV is 8K & 6 Unit BV is 6500.   So I am 5 "brackets" below & get a bonus of 50x5 = 250 SP for bringing such an out numbered/under BV'd force.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 26 August 2018, 22:31:38 »
How's this for balance:
Player 1 chooses a map from the two.
Player 2 places the remaining map anywhere except horizontal-far (i.e., setting the opponent's entire home edge).
Player 1 places the map they originally chose in either fitting orientation.
Player 1 wins round 1 initiative.

That's even more even than my previous (post-game) thought. I think player 2 is still the "winner," but it further prevents the "I bring a very wet map to split the board/make my artillery unreachable/etc." Speaking of that, I added a few "wet" maps to the banned list in the rules.

So the "winner of the dice off" chooses the first map but places it 2nd & gets initiative.
Meanwhile the loser takes the remaining map & gets to choose the placement first.

I like that since as we discussed home edge was potent but w/ that removed then 1st map placement is potent but now its balanced against choice + initiative.

This feels good to test for next game.
« Last Edit: 26 August 2018, 22:35:27 by Hellraiser »

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 26 August 2018, 22:34:51 »
I think if I leave off all salvage and just use a "hold the field" victory condition that will be fine.

Personally I like the salvage.
I think most everyone does.
Hold the field is a find 2nd goal for some matches but the fun of salvage aside from bonus is also the up/down nature of it that is reflected in a merc campaign.

Some days you get the Locust, some days get the Atlas, and some days, everything on the map got nuked to oblivion.  >:D

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 26 August 2018, 22:49:47 »
The problem with salvage is that the winner wants to keep going to destroy more stuff. So if someone surrenders, we need some recompense commensurate with average salvage. I think we have that, but every winner from this weekend wanted more. Removing it removes the complaints. I can leave it in, but then I'll probably be a little less polite when people say, "But I was one round away from killing that Atlas!"  8)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 26 August 2018, 23:06:43 »
Question.

What does ejecting cost/get you right now?

I agree that killing just for salvage is kind of being a D.

I'm thinking if you are in danger of being completely destroyed, then Ejecting costs you more repair time but the unit then isn't lost completely right?

So for example, if my Gunslinger has been stacked on the CT & is in danger of being cored for good & removed from my roster, then I can retreat, & risk being killed, or I can eject right then, and save the mech at the expense of having to repair the destroyed cockpit for 2 games?

So right now we have the following options?

Option-1 - Pull back & take cover for less incoming fire.  (Standard Repairs)
Option-2 - Retreat off the home edge giving the enemy "cripple" credit.   (Standard Repairs)
Option-3 - Retreat off another edge giving the enemy "kill" credit   (Standard + 1 Extra Game of Repairs)
Option-4 - Eject in place  (2 Games Repairs for Head Destroyed Unit)
Option-5 - Surrender the game  (Standard Repairs & Forfeit 1/2 current earnings)

Do I have that right?

If I'm understanding it correctly then I think that is a solid selection of options.

I would add that if 2 conditions are met by 1 player then the game doesn't "have" to end, but that the other player can call it w/o a "surrender" at any time after that.

That way if its close they can continue to play but if its not then it can be ended early & avoid the "hunt for salvage" issue.

Might be needed for a situation where its 2 pristine mechs v/s 3 shredded mechs & a come back is possible.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 26 August 2018, 23:15:16 »
Those are the options, yes, with the note that options 4 & 5 are only available during the end phase.

I might need to clarify the "soft edge of the world" vs "retreat." Basically, intent -- did you skid off, get pushed off, or are using a "virtual" hex to get a back shot? Then you're not retreating. Are you trying to run? Retreating.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 26 August 2018, 23:17:03 »
Meh, I'd like to think that one is a given there.

If your coming back on the next turn then your not retreating  ;)

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 26 August 2018, 23:18:49 »
See, "Arguments, heading off ahead of time." Page 78 of the "Guide to Good GMing."  ;)

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: 27 August 2018, 17:14:08 »
The next game will be September 22nd. It will be the same "stand up fight on 2 maps" we did in August, but with rules tweaks as are being discussed here.
That should be enough of a baseline let us start playing around with scenarios come October.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 28 August 2018, 14:39:28 »
Another proposal that came from a discussion with a potential player:

Add to the faction bonus options:
"Themed" forces gain a bonus (amount TBD*). Example themes:
  • "No bipeds" -- all units are mechs/protomechs/battle armor with three or more legs**
  • "Treadhead" -- all units are vehicles
  • "Ammunition is a liability" -- no units carry ammunition (even untracked ammunition such as infantry weapons)

* I'm thinking equivalent to just the base faction bonus, not faction + era. It might stack with faction, but then I'd have to get really strict with what constitutes a "theme."

** This is the one from the aforementioned discussion. I said something like, "A unit of all tripods & quads? I'd want to give a bonus for that."

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: 29 August 2018, 10:11:50 »
I'm toying with the idea of allowing recovery vehicles to increase salvage amounts if they're taken as part of the force. They wouldn't have to be on the battlefield, but they'd count against the BV total. That would make them a gamble -- do you go in "short" in the hopes of increased profit?

Something along the lines of:
"For each full ton of cargo space, the player holding the field gets 5 SP. The other player earns 1 SP for each full ton. The cargo-carrying unit counts as part of the player's BV total, but it may be left off-board; in that case, it does not count against the player's unit count."
« Last Edit: 29 August 2018, 10:45:47 by Joel47 »

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #18 on: 29 August 2018, 11:02:58 »
So it is better to have a trio of flat bed trucks (30 tons of cargo space, so +150 SP if I win) than a trio of armoured flatbeds (18 tons of cargo, so +90 SP). The first trio is are cheaper as well (6 vs 12 PV). As a general idea it looks cool, but maybe they should be deployed?

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 29 August 2018, 11:13:55 »
Hm, I hadn't thought of the issue of multiples. What if I cap it at one? I know that doesn't address your point, but deploying has its own set of problems, starting with initiative sinking and ending with "someone with TAG and LRMs decides to give you a very bad game." What if losing vehicles take some damage proportional to their carrying capacity? That would prevent the "army of flatbeds," as you'd probably lose a few.

Background: The previous version of the campaign had repair vehicles reducing by one game the repair time of one damaged unit. The problem with that became that they were basically an automatic purchase -- there was no reason not to have one (other than a small outlay in Support Points). When I was first doing the rewrite I addressed that with a maximum unit count, but anything restrictive enough to matter would have been too restrictive. So I deleted them entirely. I'd like to bring them back (along with MASH vehicles) if I can come up with a way where it's still a decision, not an automatic selection.

Kartr_Kana

• Corporal
« Reply #20 on: 29 August 2018, 15:52:37 »
I like the idea from a "fluffy" standpoint. Every Mercenary unit, or any unit in general, should have some sort of logistics train. From a mechanics standpoint I'm not sure how you integrate non - combat vehicles outside of some sort of mission goal.

I think a MASH truck could be done more easily. It counts towards your BV, but not your unit count, isn't on the board and let's you spend a number of SP to heal wounds or "replace" lost infantrymen after the battle. Repair trucks could be done in a similar fashion. Trade SP for faster repairs. Maybe have it cost SP rather than BV to bring them and you can heal an extra wound/trooper or reduce repair time by one game.

Boosting salvage after a battle is trickier because there's no danger of they're not in the table and if they're on the table it's basically a cheap movement sink that hides in the back. Either way they're an auto take with no real downside or tradeoff. A mission parameter where you have to defend the truck, or have it at a certain location by the end of the game might work.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 30 August 2018, 01:16:41 »
So it is better to have a trio of flat bed trucks (30 tons of cargo space, so +150 SP if I win) than a trio of armoured flatbeds (18 tons of cargo, so +90 SP). The first trio is are cheaper as well (6 vs 12 PV). As a general idea it looks cool, but maybe they should be deployed?

FYI.

Flat Bed Truck has 6 tons of Cargo, not 10.

Flat Bed Truck (Armor) has 4 Tons of Cargo, not 6.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 30 August 2018, 01:35:56 »
I'm toying with the idea of allowing recovery vehicles to increase salvage amounts if they're taken as part of the force. They wouldn't have to be on the battlefield, but they'd count against the BV total. That would make them a gamble -- do you go in "short" in the hopes of increased profit?

Something along the lines of:
"For each full ton of cargo space, the player holding the field gets 5 SP. The other player earns 1 SP for each full ton. The cargo-carrying unit counts as part of the player's BV total, but it may be left off-board; in that case, it does not count against the player's unit count."

Hm, I hadn't thought of the issue of multiples. What if I cap it at one? I know that doesn't address your point, but deploying has its own set of problems, starting with initiative sinking and ending with "someone with TAG and LRMs decides to give you a very bad game." What if losing vehicles take some damage proportional to their carrying capacity? That would prevent the "army of flatbeds," as you'd probably lose a few.

Background: The previous version of the campaign had repair vehicles reducing by one game the repair time of one damaged unit. The problem with that became that they were basically an automatic purchase -- there was no reason not to have one (other than a small outlay in Support Points). When I was first doing the rewrite I addressed that with a maximum unit count, but anything restrictive enough to matter would have been too restrictive. So I deleted them entirely. I'd like to bring them back (along with MASH vehicles) if I can come up with a way where it's still a decision, not an automatic selection.

Since you ruined(banned) the fun of my "Hover Assault" beach landing force.

This is how I will ruin(break) this idea.   :)

Hazard Materials Recovery Vehicle (Salvage Bed),   600 BV for 500 SP,  yes please.

Loss of 10% BV for gain of 50% SP  .......  Yes Please  >:D

I think the "short BV by bracket" idea for the small bonus we discussed above doesn't have the risk factor involved in bringing the stats of the recovery vehicle chosen into the equation & the imbalances that that would create.

Not a huge fan of the "theme" idea, but, if you do go with that, then let me know, I have a dream about a completely customized Quads/Vtol force to take on a hills map that will be impervious to Arm/Leg hits & never moves but uses C3 & Clan ERLL's so that it doesn't have to move.

I'm sure I can substitute Tarantulas for the Vtol's to spot with, it moves 8/12/8 so should be fine.  :D

Yes, I know, I'm the reason we can't have nice things.   ;)

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: 30 August 2018, 10:05:38 »
This is how I will ruin(break) this idea.   :)

Hazard Materials Recovery Vehicle (Salvage Bed),   600 BV for 500 SP,  yes please.

Loss of 10% BV for gain of 50% SP  .......  Yes Please  >:D
I thought I said "no trailers." Must have been via PM. Try adding "must be able to move under its own power." And, to be perfectly clear, "Max one cargo vehicle; trailers and other add-ons count as separate vehicles." Since trailers are the heavy-haulers, that should keep the ratio in check. You can bring a trailer if you want, but it'll just sit there.
...And now I'm picturing a mech pulling a giant little red wagon loaded with salvage.

I think the "short BV by bracket" idea for the small bonus we discussed above doesn't have the risk factor involved in bringing the stats of the recovery vehicle chosen into the equation & the imbalances that that would create.
Right, that one is pretty much a lock on being added, as it also mitigates the problems some have with getting their mission forces right up to the BV cap.

Yes, I know, I'm the reason we can't have nice things.   ;)
Indeed.  :P

csimian

• Corporal
« Reply #24 on: 30 August 2018, 10:35:28 »
Will any of these be applicable to September's game?

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: 30 August 2018, 10:56:33 »
That's what we're discussing.

Map placement changes: Definitely something; if I hear no objections, my original proposal is in.
Formal rules for individual unit withdrawal: Definitely in, because it doesn't change anything other than being explicit.
Base pay: Still under discussion, but likely in some form.
Surrender changes: Still under discussion.
Change in "correction miniature" and faction bonuses: Definite. Mini bonus changed to 20/mini, with a cap of 80. All painted the same is another +80. Faction bonus changed to +40/+20 instead of percentage. (Amount for faction bonus still under discussion, but that feels right.)
Understrength bonus: Definitely. 10% of unused BV (round down). (Hellraiser's stepped system is cool, but it sounds like too much work.)
Salvage vs "Hold the field": Still under discussion.
"Funky force theme" bonus: Still under discussion.
Salvage bonus for cargo carriers: Still under discussion, unlikely (but interesting from a fluff perspective).
MASH bonus for infantry recovery: Proposed above, not yet fleshed out.

I've updated the rules with the mini/faction/understrength changes. Also added the map placement changes, since that's unlikely to change.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 01 September 2018, 01:57:41 »
Understrength bonus: Definitely. 10% of unused BV (round down). (Hellraiser's stepped system is cool, but it sounds like too much work.)

I would think 10% of Unused BV sounds like too much work.

Because it means if you come in 20 BV short now your adding 2 SP to the earned total.

That just sounds like a lot of Record keeping adjustments for tiny little SP amounts.

With my suggestion you don't get any bonus SP till you are at least 300 SP short.

It just seems odd to give out "pennies" because the 2 "budgets" are separated by a nickle/dime etc etc.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: 01 September 2018, 11:31:03 »
But the math is easier, and all players have to do is put it on the game report sheet. (BTW, I'm drawing up a game report sheet -- much like the purchases form, having standardized data makes my life easier.)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 23 September 2018, 01:16:20 »
Thanks for the fun games today Joel!

It seemed like there were a few good battles going on around the tables.

Table SW
2 Non-Campaign Players v/s Each other.

Table NW
GM Joel v/s Non-Campaign Player

Table SE
Lóng zài wù zhōng w/s "Team JJ"

Table NE
Kartr's Kavaliers v/s League of Indiscriminate Justice

Mission:  Destroy the Enemy  (Don't get destroyed)

SP Awards
Base Pay:  +200
Kill 1 Enemy:  +300
Kill 50% Enemies:  +300
Painted Correct Mini:  +20 Each (Max 80)
Force Matching Scheme:  +80 SP
Force Faction Completeness: +40 SP
Force Era Single:  +20 SP
BV Below Limit:  +10% of BV Shortage

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 23 September 2018, 02:13:08 »
Brief rundown on the NE Table with the Kavaliers v/s League battle.

Maps:  2 Maps with long edges towards players

Large Lakes was the Kavaliers home edge.
Mountain River was the League home edge.

Kavaliers force:  BV 90+ below 6800 BV Limit for 5 Units.   (Mechs & Fulcrum in 3 man C3 Network)
Battlemaster-M3  (4/5)
Wolverine-9W2(r)  (3/4)  (A-Class Customization swapping 2xLPPC for 1x SNPPC
Fulcrum-III  (4/5)
Maxim (BA Field Refit)  (4/5)
Inner Sphere BA Squad (4) - Small Lasers  (4/5)

League force:  BV 160+ below 7100 BV Limit for 4 Units.
Flashman-8K  (3/5)  (C-Class Customization, Heavy Ferro + Plasma Rifles/ERSLs)
Jagermech-7F  (4/5)
Wolverine-7M  (4/5)
Hermes-4S  (4/5)

Initiative:
Turns 1,2,9 Went to the Kavaliers
Turns 3,4 Went to the League
Turns 5-8 I don't recall, but mostly flip flopped a bunch.

With 3 Fast Units, designed to take advantage of the water, a C3 Network w/ better range weapons, & an edge in initiative sinks for the Kavaliers v/s Raw Firepower & BV with the League this looked to make for an interesting fight.  And it very much was with both sides being unsure if they were winning or loosing at any given point for most of the fight.

Quick turn by turn from memory.

Round-1 - Move on, no fire that I recall

Round-2 - The Fulcrum & Hermes are in range after the Hermes crosses the river into woods & connects 1/3 on MPLs v/s the Fulcrum while taking fire to the Right Arm.  Maxim drops off the BA just West of the Mountain

Round-3 - Fire from everyone, most of it at range.  Maxim crests hill & survives massed fire from the entire League Lance but is immobilized.
  The ECCM from Kavalier's Wolverine & Fulcrum are completely countering the ECM from League Jager & Hermes.  C3 Fire begins landing accurately.

Round-4 - The League now splits fire between both Hovers & the BA.  Maxim still alive.  Hermes & Jager take fire.

Round-5 - Fulcrum takes motive for 1/2 MP.  Hermes looses RA.   Maxim (Pillbox) is still alive & shooting SRM6 each turn.

Round-6 - Maxim finally dies from a Hermes Kick that followed fire from Hermes/Wolverine,  Flashman/Jager open up on the KK-Wolverine which takes Leg TAC to lower actuator.
  Victory Condition-1 achieved for League.  (4 Damaged)  Jager looses 1 RAC.

Round-7 - Kavaliers focus fire on the untouched Flashman to ensure damage to all League units for Victory Condition-1.
  Kav's Wolverine Jumps & Falls over in trees but is unhittable while prone.
  Battle Armor squad destroyed.  Victory Condition-2 achieved for League.   (2 Destroyed, 3 Damaged)  Hermes ran away to avoid fire at exposed XL.  Jager LT XL & Ammo exposed.

Round-8 - Fulcrum escapes off home edge.  Wolverine Stands up & Sprints towards the home edge, takes fire & falls over again.  Hermes runs back towards fight.

Round-9 - Wolverine & Battlemaster both escape off home edge  -  No fire, Game Over.

This fight was fun & swingy as each side would take or give a critical point of damage that would expose or degrade something every turn.

In the end, both teams achieved condition-1 by damaging every opponent unit.  (.25 * 4 = 1 "Unit")
The League picked up condition-2 after taking out the Maxim & BA  (1*2+.25*3 = 2.75 "Units")

Had the hits landed on the exposed XL's of the Jager/Hermes the League would have been down 50%, meanwhile the Kavaliers were dealing with building damage on the Wolverine & Fulcrum that might have gotten worse if the game went on longer.

Death Toll  (Repairs Needed)

League:
Flashman & Wolverine had armor damage but both available for next game.
Jagermech out 1 Game (October?) & available in November?
Hermes out 2 games (Oct/Nov) & Available in December.

Kavaliers
Battlemaster & Fulcrum had armor/motive damage but both available next game.
Wolverine & IS BA-Small Laser out for 2 games & Available in December
Maxim is destroyed & removed from roster.

SP Awards

Base Pay:  +200
Kill 1 Enemy:  +300
Kill 50% Enemies:  +300
Painted Correct Mini:  +20 Each (Max 80)
Force Matching Scheme:  +80 SP
Force Faction Completeness: +40 SP
Force Era Single:  +20 SP
BV Below Limit:  +10% of BV Shortage

Kavaliers = 200+300+0+80+0+40+?+9 = 629 SP (Unsure about Era bonus here, possible +20 more due?)

League = 200+300+300+40+0+0+0+16 = 856 SP
« Last Edit: 23 September 2018, 12:49:55 by Hellraiser »

Register