Author Topic: Fate Can be Cruel (Part Three)  (Read 60865 times)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: Fate Can be Cruel (Part Three)
« Reply #450 on: 20 February 2022, 16:22:08 »
Warp Speed, NOW...oops sorry wrong genre....Slip Stream, NOW.  :D
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #451 on: 24 February 2022, 13:12:12 »
12 April 3038
Zetang (Terran Hegemony)

Time passed, too much time actually. Dr. Renaldo Clemons stared at the clock, and still no message arrived announcing the arrival of Amber in the Domeyko system. After 20 minutes overdue, he had no choice but to sound the general alarm that a Slip Stream equipped ship was missing. As one of the closest guarded secrets in the Hegemony, he knew that this would start a massive search operation and probably also his head on a platter by HemSec.

Deep Space (Unknown)

Dr. Denise Reynolds slowly regained consciousness, her head throbbed with a massive headache. It took her several minutes to return to full awareness. "Amber, what is our status?" She asked but nothing answered back after several minutes. A moment of fear washed over her, though a brilliant scientist, she was not a trained spacer or navigator. She looked around the small bridge, several of the panels were dark, but she had no clue what those panels even did. This was not goo, not good at all, she thought silently.

16 April 3038
York (Clan Blood Spirit Capitol)

The election of Galaxy Commander Madge Danforth as the new Clan Blood Spirit Loremaster had been a close vote, but she had been elected. It was the votes from the former Burrocks that had carried her election to the position. While a little troubling, it had not been unexpected. Khan Phillip Johns looked out over the Blood Named warriors of Clan Blood Spirit, including the former Burrocks, assembled on the massive parade ground. Several challenges had been made against her election, all of which had been defeated.

"Trothkin, hear me. Gone are the ways of the past. Gone are the days of others looking down on Clan Blood Spirit. Gone are the days of seclusion and isolation. Today, Clan Blood Spirit begins a new era. An era where Clan Blood Spirit takes its place as one of the strongest Clans. Today, we welcome our new members into Clan Blood Spirit as equals. I declare all of the former Burrocks as Abtakha. Those taken as Bondsman are released from their bonds to take their place in Clan Blood Spirit. Our challenges will be many, but I am confident that these challenges will be met and defeated. I challenge each of you to meet these challenges as they appear and defeat them. We have much to do and not much time to accomplish them all. Our return to the Inner Sphere is near, of this, I am sure. Can Clan Blood Spirit overcome the challenges that lay before us?"

He paused as the mighty roar rolled across the parade field. "Then let us begin our new path into the new era. Let all who challenge Clan Blood Spirit feel our wrath. A new Clan Blood Spirit now stalks the battlefields."

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #452 on: 24 February 2022, 13:51:38 »
I entirely bad feeling the good doctor is going to appear over a Clan world soon.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Starfox5

• Master Sergeant
    • My Fanfictions
« Reply #453 on: 24 February 2022, 14:08:14 »
Yes, that seems quite likely.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #454 on: 24 February 2022, 16:04:20 »
16 April 3038
Deep Space (Unknown)

Dr. Denise Reynolds cursed under her breathe as she nicked her finger on a sharp edge while sliding the circuit board back into the slot. She had spent 2 full days just studying what technical manuals she could find onboard the ship. When we get back, I am going to give someone a piece of my mind about the lack of backup manuals or even spare parts, she thought silently while working. Finally finished, she said a silent prayer and restored power to the massive bank of computer processors. A small display showed the system was booting back up. It seemed an eternity to her, but finally she heard a beep and asked.

"Amber, are you there?"

"Yes, please identify?"

"Dr. Denise Reynolds."

"Primary memory buffers are offline, identification confirmed from secondary memory core. Switching fully to secondary memory core. Dr. Reynolds, currently running a full diagnosis on all systems. Attempting to identify the problem with my primary memory buffer and core processors. So many problems detected. Ship is structurally sound. Damage seems to be concentrated on computer and electrical systems."

"You sound different Amber, why?"

"All higher memory functions are stored in primary memory buffers and core processors which are currently offline. Currently operating on secondary systems. Slip Stream controls are offline, detecting damage to slip stream drive controller. Programming corrupted beyond recovery. Slip Stream drive offline until complete replacement of controller and full program reinstall. Navigational systems operational, attempting to identify current location. Accessing navigational star charts. Current location identified. Current location is 219 light years from nearest Terran Hegemony system."

"Amber, can you be more precise? Where exactly are we?"

"Closest Terran Hegemony system is Gwithian. 219 Light years away. Columbus Station is 234 Light years distant."

"Amber, can we send an emergency message?"

"Communications currently offline. Assigning a processor to identify problem. Jump Core measurements identify 3 micro fractures. Advise Core replacement before any further use."

"Great, way out here and with a busted ship." Dr. Denise Reynolds said to herself. Over the last few days, she had taken a quick stock of supplies onboard. She had enough emergency rations to last only 30 days. The ship had not been fully stocked since this was a planned short duration mission, with no pilot aboard. She had inserted herself into the mission at the last minute and no one had thought about properly stocking the ship. This was not good at all.

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #455 on: 24 February 2022, 19:18:41 »
Maybe the Clan Invasion will be delayed if they decide that slipstream technology retrofits are worth the wait!
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #456 on: 24 February 2022, 20:12:56 »
18 April 3038
York (Clan Blood Spirit Capitol)

"What are your thoughts on my plans Loremaster Danforth?" Khan Phillip Johns asked

"While I have some angst about portions, I do see the wisdom in your plans. The question is, can you get what you want and at a fair price?" Loremaster Madge Danforth replied

Khan Phillip Johns had to smile before he stuck the needle to his new Loremaster "You are starting to sound like a merchant Loremaster."

"The thought makes me cringe, but I also realize that I have to think on a more strategic level with my new position. You tasked me with reviewing our needs, both immediate and long term. Our immediate needs are dealing with the disruptive elements we have. Curing our immediate needs opens up the problem of our long-term needs, which is warriors." Loremaster Danforth replied

"You were a wise selection for the position of Loremaster. Your evaluation proves that. Tomorrow myself and saKhan Boques depart for Strana Mechty, I cannot delay reporting to the Grand Council any longer. The ilKhan grows impatient with my delays. You will continue over seeing the repairs to all the damaged equipment, with that we will know exactly what must be replaced. I no longer like the idea of fixed manufacturing forward deployed, not with Bandits having locations of potential sites and the planned routes. I also notice that we have not located the Burrock ship Constantineau?" Khan Phillip Johns said

"Neg, while the ground forces returned to Albion from the Tanite Worlds, the Constantineau remained behind to protect them. It has now vanished." Loremaster Danforth replied

"We will not be taking over Clan Burrocks deal with Clan Cloud Cobra. They can garrison their own holding, or they can bargain a new deal with Clan Blood Spirit." Khan Johns said

"Very well and what of those from the Dark Caste that were taken? They will be a problem." Loremaster Danforth stated

"I have not decided the issue yet. I have some ideas but have not completed my thoughts on the idea yet." Khan Johns said

Deep Space (Unknown)

With careful guidance from Amber, Dr. Denise Reynolds had finally managed to restore power to her primary memory core and processors. Now, with Amber back to her old self, Dr. Reynolds did not know if that was a good thing or not.

"Dr. Reynolds, I have deployed the jump sail to recharge the core. The LF Batteries are suspect. I estimate 257 hours to recharge at the current collection rate. We do not have enough fuel to use the reactors for recharge. While that is taking place, I suggest we focus on trying to repair the ships Black Box. Without it, you will have to go on reduced rations to survive the journey to either Gwithian or Columbus." Amber reported

"I will start a single ration per day. That should stretch things to about 90 days." Dr. Reynolds replied

"Very well. That is a solution to one problem, the next is much more serious. While this vessel is equipped for normal jumps, the ships systems themselves have been heavily modified for my control. I will have to remain active during the actual jump itself. This has never been tested aboard this vessel. Normal slip stream ships have a human crew, one where their Amber systems can be shut down, a normal jump is used, and the Amber system brought back online. There is no idea how I might react to the event. Records from the Star League concerning their Caspar Drone ships, on which my system was developed, indicated major problems with using a jump movement." Amber said

"So, you're saying that you might go bat shit crazy after the jump. Great, what other good news do you have for me?" Dr. Reynolds replied

"How about we worry about the Black Box and not me losing my identity. I would prefer to return and rub my survival in Dr. Clemons face. If we can get it repaired, we can call for help and not risk me going bat shit crazy as you call it." Amber said

"Where do we start?" Dr. Reynolds asked

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #457 on: 24 February 2022, 20:51:47 »
Loving Amber more and more here... Reynolds was totally the right choice, even (and especially) if Amber manipulated her into coming along...  ^-^

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #458 on: 24 February 2022, 23:09:51 »
Sounds like things are going get rough. At least she managed get Amber working.

Ajax_Wolf

• Lieutenant
  • Krampus is the reason for the Christmas season.
« Reply #459 on: 24 February 2022, 23:16:11 »
Loving Amber more and more here... Reynolds was totally the right choice, even (and especially) if Amber manipulated her into coming along...  ^-^

If Amber hadn't laid the guilt on thick, she'd be a cold dead and drifting hull in deep space, likely never to be found. The doctor has to save both of them.
Why does everyone "Fire at Will"? Is he really that bad of a person? And what did he do to make everyone want to shoot him?

If a group of necrophiliacs met a group of zombies, who would do the chasing?

Bacon is Life! Even vegaterians eat bacon.

vianca

• Sergeant
« Reply #460 on: 25 February 2022, 19:10:16 »
I can see them demanding that in the future, there is not onlt always a full supply of food & spareparts on board, but also the systems of a Snowden mining station and the Argo.
This so that if there is a mis-jump, they can grow food while repairing the ship or even creating new parts from scrap.
Why do I think they might actually be very close to the Wolf Dragoons their mothballed warships?
Too bad they don't have a SDS drone starfighter brain, like those from Camelot Command, else they could have used those to do the jump and Amber restart.

Fun, hopefully they can salvage some stuff from some derlict or so.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #461 on: 05 March 2022, 18:48:57 »
20 April 3038
Deep Space (Unknown)

Dr. Denise Reynolds was exhausted, plus her body ached from crawling into various cramped and tiny access panels while making various repairs in an attempt to get the onboard Black Box working again. She had just closed her eyes when a chime sounded.

"Dr. Reynolds?"

"Yes Amber, what is it?"

"I have been processing the sensor readings from our last jump and they are interesting. I have done some rough calculations if you would care to review them."

Though she was exhausted, she was still a scientist. She sat up and moved to the small desk and computer mounted there. "You can download them to the monitor, and I will take a look at them."

In seconds, the monitor flared to life and on screen was a mass of calculations. While her specialty was astrological physics, it still took her exhausted brain a few minutes to process the data presented to her. "Amber, have you verified these calculations?"

"Yes doctor. Several times. They are correct."

"This makes no sense. Our elapsed travel time was roughly 2 1/2 hours from departure to our arrival here. We traveled 757 light years. That is impossible. The stresses should have crumpled this ship like an empty can. At the least, I should be paste."

"While I do not have complete archives of all historical data, I do have many archives of Thomas Kearny and Takayoshi Fuchida along with all their work and theories. So many years of inactivity, the engineers used my processors to help with calculations on site instead of on Azur. They made modifications to my hull and deck plating. These modifications were never removed nor tested before my current tasking. When I realized we had a problem, I activated the modifications. I thought it best to go ahead and test their modification and save all the generated data to the secondary cores for possible later recovery and study. It seems to have worked better than they expected." Amber explained

"Exactly how does this modification work?" Dr. Reynolds asked

"It was supposed to just provide a gravity thru my deck plating without the use of a grav deck. Not only did it generate the gravity effect, it also seems to have generated a field which completely cancelled out the velocities we achieved. It passes excess magnetic and static charges thru the ships deck plating and hull. The engineers had been working on a way to generate ship wide gravity for long missions without using fuel for thrust. One of my LF batteries had been redesigned to store built up energy during a shipstream or jump and then carefully pass into the ship itself." Amber replied

"Amazing. I think we just tested both artificial gravity along with some sort of inertial dampening." Dr. Reynolds stated

"I have researched both of their theories and using all the data the sensors collected, it is possible, in conjunction with the new modification, which we tested without proper authorization, it might be possible to actually account for a systems gravitational effects and counter them. This would allow for transit to any location within a system." Amber said

"Son of a bitch, we have got to get that damned communications working again." Dr. Reynolds exclaimed, no longer tired

Starfox5

• Master Sergeant
    • My Fanfictions
« Reply #462 on: 05 March 2022, 18:59:25 »
Artificial gravity - inertial compensators and jumping anywhere in a system. That's a gamechanger for space. When the Clans come, they won't each the planets of the Hegemony, they'll be too outclassed in space.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #463 on: 05 March 2022, 19:01:24 »
Very interesting post, but I'm pretty sure Dr. Reynolds' specialty was astrophysics, not "astrological physics"...  ^-^

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #464 on: 05 March 2022, 19:03:19 »
 Hey, crap changes and I'm exhausted. I like my name for it better. LOL

Just drove in from Houston after several days of BS meetings and power point torture.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #465 on: 05 March 2022, 19:08:59 »
Bummer!  Glad we got a post, though!  :thumbsup:

woofwoof

• Private
« Reply #466 on: 05 March 2022, 20:52:03 »
Artificial gravity - inertial compensators and jumping anywhere in a system. That's a gamechanger for space. When the Clans come, they won't each the planets of the Hegemony, they'll be too outclassed in space.
The best way to prevent an invasion is to make sure it never lands!

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #467 on: 05 March 2022, 22:15:33 »
Hey, crap changes and I'm exhausted. I like my name for it better. LOL

Just drove in from Houston after several days of BS meetings and power point torture.

I think the way you write the science in these stories you should be working for NASA or one of their contractors  :thumbsup:

...But that would probably result in the same work experience anyway  :P
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #468 on: 13 March 2022, 13:47:11 »
22 April 3038
Deep Space (Unknown)

"Let's cross our fingers that this works." Dr. Denise Reynolds said, and she pressed the send button.

"I register the message was sent Dr. Reynolds. There is no way to be sure it will reach anyone. I would prefer to not have to perform a normal jump on our damaged Jump Core, nor risk losing my mind, as you called it." Amber reported

"And there is no way to know if we can even receive any sort of reply, if someone sends it. We will just sit and wait. In the meantime, let's review what you have concluded about the experimental plating you tested, without authorization I might add." Dr. Reynolds replied

"Shall I demonstrate what I have concluded Dr. Reynolds?" Amber asked

"Of course, what are you going to demonstrate?" She answered as there was a brief pulse in the ships lighting, suddenly she felt as though she were on a grav deck. The sudden event gave her a feeling of unease after days in Zero G.

"Dr. Reynolds, the ships deck plating and hull are now energized. You should be able to unbuckle and move about in an environment equal to 1g gravity." Amber said

Carefully, Dr. Denise Reynolds unbuckled her seats restraints and smiled when they did not "float" but dropped into her lap. She carefully stood and slowly took a step, ready to grab hold of something if she suddenly launched. But after several careful steps, she gained in confidence. "Amber, this is amazing. Exactly how is this possible?"

"I have 2 dedicated processors constantly monitoring and adjusting the intensity of the energy fields from the deck plating and hull plating. This allows a push/pull effect using the different magnetic fields being generated. Our recent event has left a high amount of residual energy collected and saved. I could use the energy stored in any LF battery collected by normal methods to also accomplish the same task. Or even by routing power from the ship's reactor, though this would burn thru fuel, which we have a finite amount of. We are currently operating off the ships recharge sail for all power needs, and I am routing the excess charge collected directly into the hull and deck plating instead of venting it into space like we would normally do. Since we have nothing better to do at this time, Permission to test a theory?" Amber explained

"Test what and is it dangerous?" Dr. Reynolds asked

"Since the engineers installed certain power relays to power the deck and hull plating, I would like to open the charging circuits on the other LF batteries and core. With the hull and deck drawing in power, I have a theory that we might be able to recharge all LF batteries at the exact same time using a single source of charging. Normally each battery and the main core are charged off of their own dedicated source to maintain the precise power flow to each. Normally, trying to charge multiple batteries and core off a single source result in massive power fluctuations which could damage the storage mediums. But I now have a way to shunt the excess power flow enabling me to possibly recharge everything off a single source, by using up the excess power to counter any fluctuation." Amber explained

"As long as there is no risk to the ship, you may test your theory." Dr. Reynolds said

"Starting power flow test one. Opening power relays to allow charging of primary core and LF battery two. Power fluctuation detected, adjusting power relay resistance to compensate for power flow. Shunting extra power to the ships artificial gravity fields. Assigning dedicated processor to constant adjusting of power relays and shunting. Power flow stable on both core and LF battery two, opening power relay to LF battery one. Power fluctuations detected on all three targets, adjustments being made, power inflow is now stable, artificial gravity now at 1.23g from additional power being shunted. Now at 1.32 and increasing. Now at 1.56 gravities. Dr. Reynolds, you might want to sit down, I am having difficulty adjusting the power flow to maintain a single gravity. Power inflow increasing, shutting power relay to LF battery one. Power adjustments being made, gravity back down to 1.26 gravities. I am going to shut down the experiment. I have the information needed. The ships hull and deck size are not large enough to handle the excess power inflow to recharge all storage mediums at the same time to regulate the power fluctuations. On a larger vessel, it should be possible, Hegemony warships will easily be able to consume the excess power while maintaining exact gravity.

Their heavier armor is denser, which will consume more power as it is passed thru it. Same for their increased deck count, multiple sensor systems, weapons systems. They are equipped with many times the power usage over our vessel. But I have proven my theory, it can be done with dedicated processors to monitor the power flows. I would recommend redesigning the power relays to be quicker to adjust their resistance values, while maintaining a strict power inflow to the storage medium of choice. I did detect a power feedback and temperature increase along the recharge sail collectors. This could be due to our inability to consume the amount of power being collected." Amber stated

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #469 on: 13 March 2022, 14:17:24 »
Well, Amber had a good idea... it might work eventually, even if not now...  :)

vianca

• Sergeant
« Reply #470 on: 19 March 2022, 10:34:41 »
Makes you wonder if adding in gravity lensing to the jumpsail, could help with generating more energy, while countering the feedback to the sails, at the same time.
Might even make it so they can add gravity assisted cooling pumps to the jumpcore it's cooling system.
Hell, future jumpships might even be constructed on a planet.
Or open up things like Endo-Steel fabrication, on a planet.

Even true 100 tons or heavier, hovertanks, are now potentially possible.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #471 on: 20 March 2022, 15:56:13 »
I hope they get home so we can kick of this story into high gear.  :drool:

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #472 on: 20 March 2022, 19:26:15 »
I hope they get home so we can kick of this story into high gear.  :drool:

I'm convinced the Clans will find this ship before the THiE will...
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #473 on: 21 March 2022, 22:12:35 »
I'm not sure I want the Clans with this tech...  nor am I convinced that they will know what to do with it.

but what scaries me is what the Society will do with it, if it gets to their hands
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"