Author Topic: The Diamond Shark tank and Sea Fox preserve: Cause somebody has to start it...  (Read 238052 times)

Water Kitsune

• Corporal
Hello all! Been a long time gamer, and finally coming back to one of the games that started it all for me. I got into BT in '97-'98 playing pickup games during lunch/after school in middle school, but didn't keep it up because of lack of interest in others. Now with one of the LGS having a fairly decent community, and me having a better skill with models(ty 40K) I'm starting to look at collecting again. While I liked the universe, I wasn't aware of a faction that really called to me. I'm a bit of a Highlander and later Archer's Avengers fan but after reading the Diamond shark/Sea Fox fluff, it clicked.

I'm looking for ideas for a fluffy custom cluster, that is a bit of combined arms. I've only got the Summoner and Hellbringer from the recent starter atm, but looking for ideas. Reason I'm building around a cluster, is to be a show unit, and yet still have enough elements I can mix and match for various games if I need to.

The way I picture the unit, without specific mechs/units atm:
Cluster-3 trinaries/novas

Trinary 1
2 full stars of mechs
1 star 3 mechs 2 points of elementals

Trinary-2
2 full stars of mechs
1 star- 2 points vehicles 3 points elementals

Trinary 3
2 Full stars of mechs
1 star aerospace

In terms of actual units I don't know exactly whats fitting where at the moment, some advice on if the Force org is fairly true to the sharks, and which units might make sense in the cluster(I will probably use an assortment of clan tech, but none that is unique to a clan)

Darthvegeta800

• Warrant Officer
  • "Loyalty is it's own reward!"
What things of importance have the Sharks done during the War of Reaving and the Jihad?

MY MAIN FACTIONS:
Draconis Combine: Fifth Sword of Light
Clan Jade Falcon: Gamma Galaxy
Clan Ice Hellion: Alpha Galaxy

Stockus13

• Master Sergeant
Well the big thing they did was: survive.

In the DA timeline they seem like mobile merchants, with few land based enclaves.

My memory on the rest is hazy been a few years since I read those books.

Hawkeye Jim

• Captain
  • I'm small but sneaky
The Sharks have always been merchants. Now they're just more mobile than they used to be.

Darthvegeta800

• Warrant Officer
  • "Loyalty is it's own reward!"
Isn't that mobile thing just post Jihad? I mean have they had bigger confrontations in the Jihad era? Or related to the War of Reaving?

MY MAIN FACTIONS:
Draconis Combine: Fifth Sword of Light
Clan Jade Falcon: Gamma Galaxy
Clan Ice Hellion: Alpha Galaxy

Hawkeye Jim

• Captain
  • I'm small but sneaky
Before the WoR, they were looking for bases in the IS from which to work. Remember, they were at one time part of the invasion force, and started out lending there merchant services to the other Clans.

txMaddog

• Sergeant
Anyone got  a good paint scheme for Clan Sea Fox?

I'm thinking maybe using a base of GW Shadow Grey with a purple wash and either Space Wolf grey or Fortress grey for a highlight.
Fan Fund the SC-V-1 "Vampyr" ScavengerMech!!  Why should the combat pilots have all the fun??

VF1LAM

• Major
  • Fifth Crucis Lancers
When the Clans were new in the early '90s, I considered making a Diamond Shark sourcebook similar to the Wolf Clan Sourcebook and Jade Falcon Sourcebook.  It would have been cool if such a sourcebook existed for each of the Clans, including Wolverine.
Federated Commonwealth -- One more MechAssault if you want to be free!

Hawkeye Jim

• Captain
  • I'm small but sneaky
Fear Factory has a Burrock sourcebook in the Fan Fiction section.

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
Anyone got  a good paint scheme for Clan Sea Fox?

I'm thinking maybe using a base of GW Shadow Grey with a purple wash and either Space Wolf grey or Fortress grey for a highlight.
There's plenty of Diamond Shark schemes on Camospecs. As far as Sea Fox, the Dark Age units were varying metallic blues if I remember correctly. But I don't think any schemes that appeared on the Wizkids pieces are considered canon.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
There's plenty of Diamond Shark schemes on Camospecs. As far as Sea Fox, the Dark Age units were varying metallic blues if I remember correctly. But I don't think any schemes that appeared on the Wizkids pieces are considered canon.

I've heard both are and aren't statements from the Catalyst guys.

With that being said, as attractive as the DA Sea Fox scheme was, I'd lean towards sticking to pre-existing colour schemes until we know something definitive.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
I hear you. I'm not jumping on painting up my Nova Cats in a white with red or gold highlights scheme at the moment.

St.George

• Lieutenant
  • there's nowhere to run
Qwik question to all you sharks/foxes,,,,Wouldn't it have been "easyer" to have taken over the Husetic Merchants?Seeing the have allready set-up their own lil'bit of space,and they have "lots" in common with your clan?I don't know much on this Faction,or what territory they cover in the Deep P,but it "seem-do-ah-bull".    ;D
"Smoke em' if ya got em' boys,,,We're goin' in"

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
The thing I'm personally curious to see:  I'm pretty sure WoR mentioned the Sharks setting up production facilities in the Deep Periphery.  I want to know how many they still have, and what sort of awesome swag they're making!
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Rael

• Warrant Officer
Qwik question to all you sharks/foxes,,,,Wouldn't it have been "easyer" to have taken over the Husetic Merchants?Seeing the have allready set-up their own lil'bit of space,

Well first, easier than what?

Moving on, I'm sure that the Diamond Shark Touman, even depleted after the fighting in the Homeworlds, could defeat the Hanseatic forces. But would it be worth the trouble? The Hanseatic League looks fairly large and would tie up at least a Galaxy or two in garrison forces for little benefit in return. Most of the worlds will be backwards low-tech albatrosses, maybe some rich resources here and there but nothing the Sharks couldn't trade for anyway, and I doubt the Sharks would want to set up a power base so near to the Homeworlds now either. If I was the Shark Khan I'd stick with what I was doing and avoid the Hanseatic League, at least for the forseable future.

and they have "lots" in common with your clan?

The only thing they have in common is mercantile interests. The Diamond Sharks are still very 'Clan' despite being at the liberal end of the Clan spectrum. They're Clan first, quirks second.

SeaRaptor

Throwing my hat into the ring as another Diamond Shark player.  Been trying to get my 3062-era unit together for a number of years now -- it's only existed on paper -- and I'm finally buying, assembling, and painting.  Always good to meet fellow Sharks!

Nerroth

• Captain
Are there any canon images of the sea fox and/or diamond shark totem animals anywhere in print (or pdf) form? (And by that I don't mean a shot of one trying to eat the other...)

Carbon Elasmobranch

• Master Sergeant
Pictures from MW3, I think.  There was a thread in the general forum months back about alien fauna, and they might be on Sarna, too.

Nerroth

• Captain
Duly noted, thanks.

(I'm surprised by the entry on Sarna.net; I expected the sea fox to be mammalian, not reptilian. Oh well, that's fictional alien species for you.)

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
I'm rather amused by certain Clans habit of systematically releasing foreign predators into foreign ecosystems. Could make for some fun symbolism there.

Hawkeye Jim

• Captain
  • I'm small but sneaky
Try sicing a Ghost Bear on a Hell's Horse and see what happens.

Nerroth

• Captain
Speaking of totem animals, does the Tokasha stone lion have a pic (or stats) anywhere, or are they too new to be statted up?

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
Speaking of totem animals, does the Tokasha stone lion have a pic (or stats) anywhere, or are they too new to be statted up?

I'm not sure if they've been statted, but I know people have been mentioning info on them (small pack hunters).  If there isn't info out now, maybe in the WoR supplemental (unless that is already out and I am just a moron).
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

St.George

• Lieutenant
  • there's nowhere to run
Seeing the Hans Leag' is a Merchant Faction.How come the Shark/Fox Clan didn't slide into that area?Whats your take?

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
Seeing the Hans Leag' is a Merchant Faction.How come the Shark/Fox Clan didn't slide into that area?Whats your take?

While that is true, would the Sharks consider them to have enough market potential? There's more opportunity for profit in the Sphere (and its immediate Periphery) than that far outside of it...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

St.George

• Lieutenant
  • there's nowhere to run
Though there is a number of clans in the IS and near Periphery now(75+),the Sharks are the only ones not to have set up shop,per say(yes they have holdings).The location didn't bother me,for the HW are even further out.If they keep up their trading pace,I'd expect them to be as far as the MoC or the TC soon.
I'd think this would be a ideal place to set up trading bases,and other facilitys.Off the beatin' path,with no bullseye on it.only thing they'd have to fix is keep the scorp's happy,,,,hummmmmm.

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
Did the Sharks get kicked too badly in Final Reckoning?

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
They lost one of the Itabania facilities and took a hit to Trellshire, but that one's still intact.

Dreyf

• Sergeant
Though there is a number of clans in the IS and near Periphery now(75+),the Sharks are the only ones not to have set up shop,per say(yes they have holdings).The location didn't bother me,for the HW are even further out.If they keep up their trading pace,I'd expect them to be as far as the MoC or the TC soon.
I'd think this would be a ideal place to set up trading bases,and other facilitys.Off the beatin' path,with no bullseye on it.only thing they'd have to fix is keep the scorp's happy,,,,hummmmmm.

That is what their Chainelaine Isle holdings seem to be used for.

St.George

• Lieutenant
  • there's nowhere to run
Chainelaine isle huh?Is this where they will set up shop?or will they stay mobile(becides their couple IS holdings)

Register