Author Topic: Unseen version of some units? Or crazy seller?  (Read 2563 times)

Mott

• Private
Unseen version of some units? Or crazy seller?
« on: 27 August 2012, 09:50:11 »
I was just browsing a popular online auction site and I stumbled into some auctions for "Unseen Catapult" and "Unseen Jenner" minis. Are the sellers idiots, just trying to cash in on less-knowledgeable BattleTech fans thinking they found a rare mini, or are there actually some kind of Unseen versions of those 'Mechs?

I assume either #1 or #2, but I'm not omniscient so I didn't want to rule out #3.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
Re: Unseen version of some units? Or crazy seller?
« Reply #1 on: 27 August 2012, 10:21:51 »
Likely older sculpts; the catapult in particular has had almost half a dozen including a very valuable battledroids scuplt that is very rare.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

LordNth

• Warrant Officer
  • Still playing with toys.
« Reply #2 on: 27 August 2012, 15:23:24 »
wasn't there an Unsen Jenner IIc?

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #3 on: 27 August 2012, 15:31:20 »
That is correct, but the OP said nothing about a IIC.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 27 August 2012, 16:58:19 »
Looks to be an old lead CPLT-C1 Catapult (20-852) and a lead JR7-D Jenner (not 20-869, but the OOP one. You can tell buy the placement of the SRM-4 Rack over the torso.. 20-869 have a line of armor plate between the SRMs and the grate below it)

Both are no longer in production, so they ARE both OOP... What they aren't, is Unseen.

I'm sure the person who posted it is trying to say "No longer available" (whether due to the model or that they are made from lead)... Some people will try to take advantage of the unknowledgeable. Others are selling stuff they only have a passing knowledge of, and can make a mistake... You've got to decide for yourself which this person is...

As a comment on the Jenner... CSO has 14 of the 20-869 Jenner, and only one of the OOP one this person is selling... It may not be unseen, but I would say it might be a little rare.

Caz

whiteshadowzo

• Master Sergeant
  • I was raised by a cup of coffee
« Reply #5 on: 27 August 2012, 17:10:52 »
Idk about that catapult but there is a jenner iic that was pulled, if i remember rather recently, because the art wasn't fasa's or whoever's. Sad because i really like that sculpt and put off buying those for some IS mechs. Next time i was ready to order, a couple months later,  they were gone.  :-\
it's a bit comforting knowing that to fire we're a same color- flammable. ~Orin J.

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 27 August 2012, 17:50:23 »
The Jenner IIc IS unseen... But the one the person is selling is not a IIc (as long I'm looking at the correct auction).

Caz

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #7 on: 28 August 2012, 19:26:13 »
Likely older sculpts; the catapult in particular has had almost half a dozen including a very valuable battledroids scuplt that is very rare.
I don't believe that was a production sculpt.  I saw two posted online in the 10 years I was looking... both out of blister and painted.  Odds are it was a test cast of a sculpt that was rejected.  Back in the Ral Partha days they'd toss scrap minis (bad casts or whatever) in a barrel.  Customers were able to dig through the scrap barrels and buy.  I believe that is how those Catapults came to be.  Show me one in the blister and I'll eat my words. ;)  As an example, I have a test casting of a 3-piece Falconer from the scrap bin.  Legs and torso were one piece plus separate arms.  It tore up the mold so they stuck with separate torso and legs as it is today.

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: 28 August 2012, 20:58:16 »
Maybe the "BD Catapult" is really the big GW Assault Droid knockoff from around that time.

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #9 on: 28 August 2012, 21:42:07 »
Maybe the "BD Catapult" is really the big GW Assault Droid knockoff from around that time.
Nope.  The two are quite different.

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: 28 August 2012, 22:40:44 »
I don't believe I've ever seen it then. Do you have pics? I'm always interested in seeing some of the rare gals.

skumm

• Sergeant
  • 1400 minis and counting....
    • SkuMM's Battletech Miniature Archive
« Reply #11 on: 30 August 2012, 09:11:04 »

There is no such beast as a Battledroids Catapult.

Here is a link to the full set.

http://www.skumm.ca/battledroids.html
Minis minis everywhere. But who has time to paint?

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
  • "Now, let's add a couple of happy Death Commandos"
« Reply #12 on: 30 August 2012, 11:19:10 »
By lack of knowledge or design, I have seem some online retailers spouting nonsense about older Battletech products and asking ridiculous prices. I personally think regardless of the nomenclature, as long as they're asking a reasonable price for what they're selling, who cares what they call it?

Outside of the unseen/OOP listings, I know several regular Ebay sellers during the summer or last year had hiked the BT Introductory Boxed Set to $100! We're talking about a product that was on store shelves not six months earlier, and of which a 2nd run was pending for the coming winter. I personally felt this was tasteless price gauging and have stopped buying from those sellers in particular.
"I can't save his life, it's too embarrassing!" - Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC SSC

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 30 August 2012, 11:37:57 »
I personally felt this was tasteless price gauging and have stopped buying from those sellers in particular.

People will always try and get what they can for an item... The more "in demand" something is, the more likely you will pay more (or, if the price is negotiable, the less you will be able to move the price in your favor) ... That is the principle of supply and demand that our economy is based on... Works with computers, cars, and BattleTech products...

Having said that, there is a point where it is no longer getting a fair price for your product, and becomes just flat out greedy.. And when that happens, your method is a tried and true way of expressing your displeasure.. Good for you.

Caz

Mott

• Private
« Reply #14 on: 30 August 2012, 11:45:04 »
Outside of the unseen/OOP listings, I know several regular Ebay sellers during the summer or last year had hiked the BT Introductory Boxed Set to $100! We're talking about a product that was on store shelves not six months earlier, and of which a 2nd run was pending for the coming winter. I personally felt this was tasteless price gauging and have stopped buying from those sellers in particular.

Thankfully it goes both ways. I bought the Introductory Box Set for $38 and Total Warfare for around $20. While I'd much rather give my money directly to CGL to support them, my disposable income isn't what it used to be.

Register