Author Topic: Polling for Interest: Black Friday Grinder?  (Read 6118 times)

SteveRestless

• Major
Polling for Interest: Black Friday Grinder?
« on: 25 November 2013, 16:53:59 »
I've been thinking that it'd be nice to have a grinder in megamek now that it supports loading reinforcements. And I was thinking that Black Friday would be a good day to hold just such an event. Post here if you're interested, and we'll hammer out the details.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

SteveRestless

• Major
Re: Polling for Interest: Black Friday Grinder?
« Reply #1 on: 25 November 2013, 18:47:37 »
Notes for running the grinder:

If a client is connected while in the lobby, it can add a unit later.
If a client disconnects while the game is active, and does not have a unit, that client will not be able to add units later.
If a client connects with a new name while the game is active, and does not have a unit, that client will be unable to add units.
Make sure that before a seat is disconnected that seat has a mech.
Connect 2x-3x as many clients as you anticipate players, on the GM/Ref's computer, and leave them as observers. If you burn out a seat in the above fashion, load a mech into that seat, and then disconnect it, allowing the new player to connect as that client.

Make sure that "Check for victory" is set to "Off"
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Peleandros

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 26 November 2013, 08:32:12 »
Actually that sounds very interesting, actually! I haven't messed. Ugh with the reinforcement options yet, but id think this could be a great to avoid the Black Friday insanity.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here." - Jayne, Firefly (The Train Job)

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 26 November 2013, 14:15:59 »
Excellent.

I've got a chatroom that we can use to coordinate things, if you have an IRC client, its #battletech on irc.esper.net port 6667, or if you dont do IRC, just follow this link here http://webchat.esper.net/?nick=&channels=battletech put in a name, and it'll bring you there automatically. I've also got AIM if you need to reach me directly, its SteveRestlessBoC or by email at restless@chaosgarden.net

I'm tentatively thinking around 1pm Central, but the start time is really more subject to "can we get players in"

Once the game is started, I've worked it out so people can come and go pretty fluidly.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 26 November 2013, 14:21:32 »
Since its probably more common than my personal blend of megamek(based off of Ralgith's last pre-stable svn release), I think we'll be best off using the 0.36.0 stable release for the grinder.

I'll be running a unique server instance for the grinder match, to help it run more smoothly. connection info will be provided day-of.

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 27 November 2013, 15:21:21 »
As I said in my message, I'll make it if I can. Hopefully I'll be available!

I know (think?) 'Mechs are usually randomly assigned for grinders, but can you post overview of how this will be handled? It might help to get the basic ground-rules posted here in advance so they don't need explained on game day.
« Last Edit: 27 November 2013, 15:24:25 by Jayof9s »

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 27 November 2013, 15:53:14 »
Well, all of this is subject to adjustment on the fly, but my initial thoughts on the matter are:

We'll start the match off in a Light, Level 1 (Intro tech, or whatever its called these days) with a 4/5 pilot. When you perish, you can pick to bump up your weight, your tech, or your skills. So, a Level 1 medium, or a level 2 light, or a 3/4 pilot. As for how to randomize it, I figure I'll let people either express a faction preference, or just go with random. if they go random, I'll roll a die and pick a faction based on that. if they have a preference, I'll use a RAT for that faction.

I was also thinking it'd be fun to do some themed rounds like "Everyone pick a mech you really want to use" or "pick the mech you hate the most" or perhaps "shitty autocannons only!" I'm open to suggestions for other themes, too.

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 27 November 2013, 16:06:39 »
That all sounds good to me. Might be fun to try and have everyone use a different faction with the first method.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 27 November 2013, 16:20:56 »
I'd certainly encourage it.

Years of running IRC RPGs have given me a somewhat fast and loose, on the fly management style for this sort of thing. I'll hammer out a rough idea like that, and adapt to the situation as it evolves. if everybody's just picking one faction all the time, I'll probably shake things up.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #9 on: 27 November 2013, 16:26:50 »
I might arrive a little late to the show, because 1pm Central time is a little early to wake up on a non-work day for me. But I will definitely be there, barring an unforeseen catastrophe.

Also, I like the idea of random factions with RAT rolls, if only because if I have every 'Mech in existence to choose from I might lose my damn mind trying to pick.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Peleandros

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 27 November 2013, 17:06:19 »
Sounds good to me. I may not be able to stay all that long, I have my normal tabletop board gaming that night at around 5pm Central (6pm Eastern for me), so only a few hours, but sounds like fun.

I like the idea of starting off in level 1 lights (Intro Box Set tech), then picking 1 to upgrade...keeps people from getting too strong too fast.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here." - Jayne, Firefly (The Train Job)

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 27 November 2013, 17:08:41 »
Well, if things work the way I've got it planned, the game should be able to go as long as people want it to. So long as a user has a mech loaded before they disconnect, another user can take their seat. This way, players can come and go as they're available, and we can keep playing!

I do encourage joining the IRC channel linked/mentioned above for the day of, it'll be easier to communicate in real-time. and I'm in there all the time when I'm on, so its not like you have to wait till day-of.

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 27 November 2013, 17:40:14 »
tagged...my wife is working and i am brewing beer while updating work allocations, but other than that i am free...

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 27 November 2013, 19:37:38 »
Ooh, what kind of beer?

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 27 November 2013, 19:41:09 »
Ooh, what kind of beer?

Got ingredients a Stout, Nut Brown Ale, and IPA.  Trying to decide which to start first.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 27 November 2013, 19:47:05 »
I'd go with the stout or the nut brown, myself.

things are shaping up well. if even half the players who have given a positive response attend, we'll have a good set of fights on our hands.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #16 on: 27 November 2013, 23:08:28 »
I'd go with the stout or the nut brown, myself.

things are shaping up well. if even half the players who have given a positive response attend, we'll have a good set of fights on our hands.

You mean we won't have to spend a grinder avoiding each other like ex's at a party?  ;)
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 28 November 2013, 01:15:15 »
You mean we won't have to spend a grinder avoiding each other like ex's at a party?  ;)

if we get enough players I might have my hands full just orchestrating the thing, I'm only playing when we need me to.

McSlayer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: 29 November 2013, 01:18:30 »
This sounds like a great idea.

I will try to join in too.

I Suggest that you join in at least 6 players vs 6 players. I think megamek should handle this. If Steve's server is powerful enough, maybe try 8 on 8. Although I have to admit, the best RL TT grinders I have ever played in were usually 40 vs 40, or 20 vs 20 grinders.

Pull in units for every reinforcing player from a mul file.

Bot the players who are not actual players and run the game as long as there are players. The bots will fill in for the rest.

« Last Edit: 29 November 2013, 08:52:01 by McSlayer »
You might not live more than once, better make it good.

I was born 6-gun in my hand, Behind a gun I'll make my final stand, That's why they call me... Bad Company...

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 29 November 2013, 13:19:40 »
I'm on the IRC now http://webchat.esper.net/?nick=&channels=battletech (or irc.esper.net port 6667 #battletech) and I'm loading up megamek clients on the server. Still aiming for a start around 1pm Central, there's already a few of you in the chat, I can see. :)

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 29 November 2013, 14:31:05 »
And we're live! Six players are in so far, and they're all hunting one another's first mechs. But, we can still take new players as we go!

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #21 on: 29 November 2013, 14:37:18 »
Going rather smoothly as well so far.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #22 on: 29 November 2013, 16:07:16 »
Not able to attend due to timezone and other pressures, but best of luck to all involved! i'd love to hear how it goes.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #23 on: 29 November 2013, 16:17:36 »
I did not expect everyone to still be on mech 1, this far in  :D

next time, I'm thinking we start at 3/4...

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 29 November 2013, 17:09:30 »
Yeah, next time I try this, I'm going to cap the seats at 8 players at a time, and if we get enough extra, just run two arenas.

I also think starting in Medium, 3/4 mechs will make it flow better. I thought we'd be done with lights, 30min in... yet here we are, 3h later...

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #25 on: 29 November 2013, 17:34:07 »
Well, that was going okay till the server crashed ^^;;

I definitely have some tweaks I want to try, and that was an excellent first try. Thank you to everyone who came to play, and the IRC channel is always there, its not just for the event, you're always welcome to come 'round and chat, or try and arrange some games.

Fatebringer

• Major
  • 138th Mechanized Infantry The Chicago Division
« Reply #26 on: 29 November 2013, 18:01:21 »
sounds like a party :) I'm just leaving work :P

Star Captain Jared Siegel ~ Clan Snow Raven Forum
"If every mech was built like in MWO, we'd all be carrying ammo in our feet..."

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #27 on: 29 November 2013, 18:16:22 »
I killed the server  ;D I ruin things  O:-) Some of us still rockin it tho. Got a point of BA on top of a...thing.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #28 on: 29 November 2013, 18:21:18 »
Yeah, its more of a mundane FFA right now, though if mekslayer slaughters my warwolf that he deployed in the lap of, I'm tempted to call in reinforcements, keep this mother goin

TriplerSDMB

• Corporal
  • I ♥ C4
« Reply #29 on: 29 November 2013, 18:33:46 »
I'm in!!  Heard about this through another forum, but doggonit, I'll hop in there! 

- Tripler
DISCLAIMER: All thoughts and ideas put forth in this communication are sole property of the voices in my head. ©1998-2023 - 'The Voices' (TM). All rights reserved.

Register