Author Topic: WIP - Astroid Mecha  (Read 2218 times)

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
WIP - Astroid Mecha
« on: 18 January 2012, 12:55:25 »
So, I picked these up at GenCon in '06. Went back a couple times and didn't see any more there. I believe these were random singles. I wasn't willing to commit to a whole bunch until I knew how big they were. Now, I wish I had picked up more.

These have already be primed and washed. I intend to clean them up and add details. (Yeah, they've been sitting around a while.) They normally come in precolored plastic, but the detail is good enough that I have to paint them.

These are actually toys made by a Russian toy company, and so they didn't come with bases. The ones on these I got from a 40k rip line made by the same people who do the Steel Warriors minis.

As a toy, they were meant to have some interchangeable parts. Specifically the arms and backpacks. However, as a toy made of plastic, the pins have a tendency to break. So, I'll have to pin the arms on a couple as well as the backpack for the gray one. In fact, while taking a picture showing the interchangeable parts, the shoulder pin on the green one broke off in side the gun arm for the red one. So, now I'll have to cut and pin.

Good thing I planned on keeping them in their original configuration. With glue a necessity, interchangeability is impossible.

The funky Gundam looking one I modded to give the legs more Mecha style legginess. It was originally as short as the others. Pulled the pieces from the arms of a Dark Age Blade 2. I was also hoping to make it taller than most of my Ral Partha stuff, but instead put it in line with most of the assault class Mechs.

Their size was kinda disappointing to me. I'll show how in a bit. I was truly hoping for something that would be of Mobile Suit Proportions to my Ral Partha and IWM BattleMechs - ie. roughly 15-18 meters tall, thus most BattleMechs only coming up to the waist on these.

However, they work well even for Mecha with torso mounted cockpits, and make them unique compared to Mobile Suits or BattleMechs. I don't know the rules to the game that came with them. I know there was one, because they each came with stat cards as shown in my off topic post asking about translation.

However, in spite of that, I know I can come up with stats or a rules-set of my own to play them with. They're just too neat to let sit around.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Daemion

• Major
Re: WIP - Astroid Mecha
« Reply #1 on: 18 January 2012, 12:58:38 »
More comparison shots. If they don't quite work as heavy Mechs, what class would they work as? Lets have a look?

Here I have an IWM/Ral Partha Fire Starter, and a Ral Partha Griffin, giving you the light and medium class minis.

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 18 January 2012, 12:59:41 »
Finally, an IWM/Ral Partha Dragon, and finally, the newest trend in IWM BattleTech Minis, the large Targe.  ^-^

Any suggestions on which class to put them in after this comparison very much welcome.

Once I'm finished with these toys, I'll post full runway shots.

pintotheevil

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 18 January 2012, 13:48:27 »
love the paintjob on the firestarter.  slick

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 18 January 2012, 17:41:59 »
Sadly, that one is going to get tanned. But, I plan on keeping the red and unpainted fuel tanks, if I can help it.

LordNth

• Warrant Officer
  • Still playing with toys.
« Reply #5 on: 18 January 2012, 20:15:19 »
If you want more, look up ZOD.  They have Mecha sets, tanks and a board game set.  You can find them on eBay or just do a quick internet search.  They are listed as 15mm but if you look up WorkTrolls's posting of these guys they fit 6mm BT perfectly.

john blackwell

• Lieutenant
  • putting on a happy face
« Reply #6 on: 18 January 2012, 21:18:59 »
They look lighter than the Dragon but not by much.  I would make them 55-ton designs, 6/9/# speed and dangerous.

IMO,
JB
One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off
Pro pacis par vox excellens

willydstyle

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 20 January 2012, 02:49:51 »
You can't really compare mech weight by the size of the mini, as the minis are notoriously out of scale.  The Dervish is tiny, even compared to most newer lights, and it is 55 tons, for example.  Make 'em whatever you want.