Author Topic: WIP Intro Box Dragon  (Read 983 times)

Spaceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
WIP Intro Box Dragon
« on: 27 May 2013, 00:13:44 »
So instead of working on my Liao Mechs I went back to the intro box Dragon and started shading it. I originally had one panel base be dark purple then go to purple and then edge around that with a light purple. I may end up going back to that, but I am going to sleep on it since it's past midnight here and I just wanted to get some feedback before I made a decision one way or another.

Demo Agent #567 Binghamton, NY (Southern Tier)
FLGS: Jupiter Games - Johnson City, NY

Southern Tier BattleTech Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/STierBattleTech/

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: WIP Intro Box Dragon
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2013, 07:21:27 »
 O0

GunjiNoKanrei

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • tired ... very tired ...
    • darklined.com
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2013, 09:49:12 »
It looks like you have the theory down. But your paint looks very thick, resulting in very harsh transitions between layers. Try this with thinner paint. Assuming you are using acrylic paint, water will work nicely for thinning. Be careful to not overload your brush with paint and - working with lighter colors - pull the brush from the shadow towards the highlight. Let dry and repeat or move to the next color. With some practice you can get very smooth transitions this way.
Working with darker colors is pretty much the same, only you push the paint from highlight to shadow.

For a consistent result also try to apply the same theory to all areas (metallics). This doesn't mean everything needs the same number of layers though.

That being said, if you never worked with diluted paint before, forget about more or less complex shading and highlighting for now and just practice working with thinned paint as it can take some getting used to.

And keep posting your progress :)

Spaceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2013, 12:01:43 »
Thanks for the tips GunjiNoKanrei! I have not work with thinned paint before So I guess I should start with that. What would be the best way to thin paint? Should I use a wet pallet or just a regular pallet?

I think I will put the Dragon away for a bit and come back to him after some thinned paint work.
Demo Agent #567 Binghamton, NY (Southern Tier)
FLGS: Jupiter Games - Johnson City, NY

Southern Tier BattleTech Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/STierBattleTech/

Register