Author Topic: (New) Clan Smoke Jaguar: Once More With Feeling  (Read 12211 times)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
Re: (New) Clan Smoke Jaguar: Once More With Feeling
« Reply #240 on: 17 October 2023, 18:09:27 »
I would agree that a scuttled ship isn't going to be useful for anything but scrap & that is assuming you can find it.

A ship is scuttled when its crew deliberately sinks it, typically by deliberately opening holes in its hull.

Scuttling may be performed to dispose of an abandoned, old, or captured vessel
; to prevent the vessel from becoming a navigation hazard
; as an act of self-destruction to prevent the ship from being captured by an enemy force
 (or, in the case of a vessel engaged in illegal activities, by the authorities)
; as a blockship to restrict navigation through a channel or within a harbor
; to provide an artificial reef for divers and marine life; or to alter the flow of rivers.

v/s

"Mothball Fleet".
 While the details of the maintenance activity have changed several times, the basics are constant:
 keep the ships afloat and sufficiently working as to be reactivated quickly in an emergency. 

Now my question is, why would they have scuttled so many instead of scrapping them for materials or mothballing them for future use/scrap?

For a Blackwater Warship, yeah, on top of seriously damaging the KF Drive & Engines, I'd think that a course set for deep space or the nearest star wouldn't be out of the question.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #241 on: 17 October 2023, 19:49:00 »
Now my question is, why would they have scuttled so many instead of scrapping them for materials or mothballing them for future use/scrap?

Lack of ability to do so in a timely manner or lack of confidence in their ability to keep hold of any resulting salvage instead of losing it to another Clan?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #242 on: 17 October 2023, 20:50:40 »
Lack of ability to do so in a timely manner or lack of confidence in their ability to keep hold of any resulting salvage instead of losing it to another Clan?

That's actually exactly the reason why the Adders scuttled the hulls at their naval cache: they didn't have time to get them going again, and the Burrocks/Dark Caste were already aware of the cache's location.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #243 on: 20 October 2023, 01:24:55 »
It's the same reason you scuttle a ship in real life; you don't want the enemy to capture it. If you want to get rid of a ship but aren't pressed for time, you scrap and recycle it instead.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #244 on: 20 October 2023, 01:36:06 »
Wouldn't booby trapping them work?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #245 on: 20 October 2023, 01:41:08 »
Wouldn't booby trapping them work?

That's extremely unClan-like, and you run the risk of your enemies defusing the traps and turning the ships against you anyway.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #246 on: 20 October 2023, 02:24:23 »
Not if you removed memory bank modules and set the explosives towards key locations, like s critical power junction or cryogenic tank.

What is mothball?

A ship cleared out and sealed up with most items removed that can be violative.

Air seals open and spaced to provide less explosive decompressions, certain areas welded shut...

But a booby trap could be the area sealed with gasses like Carbon Dioxides and pressurized so that opening them without depressing could cause severe damages to the capture crews.

A techs life is cheap, a warrior would most likely be armored or in a skinsuit with helmet, but still, floating objects huri. Especially if they are not seen... Small grains of sand or metal shavings...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #247 on: 20 October 2023, 08:48:35 »
Still pretty far outside of acceptable for clan warriors.

Suicide bombers, murdering civilians, Mass punishment of civilians for actions of insurgents, orbitally bombarding cities, headhunting, slaughtering surrendering troops, consigning enemies to the desert to die, depriving civilians of necessities to survive, etc. are all fair game.

But laying non-combat traps is somehow one thing they won’t do.

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
« Reply #248 on: 22 October 2023, 16:53:55 »
https://store.catalystgamelabs.com/products/camo-specs-online-a-guide-to-faction-paint-schemes-clan-smoke-jaguar

In case anyone missed this coming out. As I knew the history and fates of all the units involved and their colors, it doesn't do a whole lot for me, but it's always nice to see minis in Jag colors painted by those far more skilled than I. Also, God bless the artist who did the tutorial for telling people to use a Future floor wax glosscoat before pin-washing. That technique really brings me back 15-20 years.
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #249 on: 23 October 2023, 19:34:55 »
https://store.catalystgamelabs.com/products/camo-specs-online-a-guide-to-faction-paint-schemes-clan-smoke-jaguar

In case anyone missed this coming out. As I knew the history and fates of all the units involved and their colors, it doesn't do a whole lot for me, but it's always nice to see minis in Jag colors painted by those far more skilled than I. Also, God bless the artist who did the tutorial for telling people to use a Future floor wax glosscoat before pin-washing. That technique really brings me back 15-20 years.

Very cool! Is this new?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #250 on: 23 October 2023, 20:14:39 »
Yes, it was just released Friday.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Blkbr2020

• Private
« Reply #251 on: 01 November 2023, 16:08:03 »

I'm wondering how many of the unit schemes will translate to the new era (IKEO might have info in it on this or not). I'm curious if any schemes change by galaxy or not once numbers are increased. The GenCon diorama had Alpha Galaxy and some of the Keshik schemes if my memory serves me correctly. 

Rockslide

• Recruit
« Reply #252 on: 11 January 2024, 11:25:30 »
I came here to ask this, do we know which schemes are still viable or if there are new ones? I kinda want to paint up an Omega  :grin:

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
« Reply #253 on: 11 January 2024, 12:07:22 »
Welcome Rockslide, as far as I know, Alpha Galaxy is the only lock for schemes in the ilClan era, though I think I've seen somebody mention the Keshik schemes were spotted on the recent GenCon CSO table. The Star League Jaguars do get Omegas according to the MUL, which I only realized just now...  :evil:
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I