Author Topic: Silver Bullet Gauss status?  (Read 986 times)

Charistoph

• Major
Re: Silver Bullet Gauss status?
« Reply #30 on: 06 May 2024, 22:47:56 »
I'm guessing they meant HAGs when they said Hyper Velocity Gauss.  While HAGs are more widespread than SB Gauss are, they're also Clantech and there's no evidence that there's any sort of direct competition between the two weapons.

The funny thing that the HAG and SBG are about as different as LB-20X and LRM-20 (aside from range).
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #31 on: 06 May 2024, 22:50:23 »
Yeah, very different functions despite similar damage output.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: 10 May 2024, 15:30:08 »
When Silver Bullet Gauss came out in Maximum Tech I think the very First application I did was an Air/Space field gun emplacement.  5 gunnery for Automated and 4 for crewed . -2 for Flack and -2 for Anti Air Fire Control . That is a net 1 or 0 gunnery for it . When aircraft attack they have to make a pilot roll if they take damage to avoid becoming a lawn dart . LB-X get the same bonus . Both LBX cluster and SB Gauss does no damage to an air unit with FL Armor.  No damage taken no pilot roll needed . This is why the Armor was invented in the first place . HAG has the Flack bonus too but it does 5 point clusters of damage . This was the Niche that the SB Excelled in until the Clans made a counter for it . By 3095 Mixed tech becomes Advanced not experimental and not a poor investment to purchase HAG to replace SB Gauss on boarders that are shared by the clans then by ilKhan Age had use the 40 + years to gradually replace them everywhere.

Same Application.  Same Function.

When it came out it was FANTASTIC in it's niche even over value added BV wise. But by 3152 I only expect to see it toward Cappellen Space towards the Periphery.  Great weapon in it's time .
LB-X has slug munitions and a better range than most autocannon type weapons . It is capable of using Slug Damage to put holes in Armor and Cluster to exploit them . If the SB Gauss could use Slug and Cluster even with adding 1 ton and Crit to the weapon it would Never be largely Obsolete. 

This is a direct comparison / competition
 between SB Gauss , HAG and LBX . IN The Niche in which FL Armor  was invented for . FL armor on mechs vs Air Assets is rare true but it wasn't ment for mechs and combat vehicles they took advantage of FL Armor existence as an after thought .

I hope this gives more context than my previous posts . I tend to avoid being comprehensive as it may come close to violating rules of the forum.  Apparently the other people responding to the post use very different optimum applications than I did for this apparently (to me )niche weapon .

My experience in ground combat it is a lackluster weapon until the 3rd combat turn against mechs . Nice at immobilizing combat vehicles and maybe  early proto mechs . You tend to Hammer  / Anvil paired tactics with it. Fielding an LB 10 X might not get you the same range but the Slug option makes the weapons effective in the first 3 turns against mechs .

How different is other people's experience???
« Last Edit: 10 May 2024, 17:38:06 by Col Toda »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #33 on: 10 May 2024, 15:49:47 »
Only the LB 2-X has better range than the Silver Bullet GR.  It's got a slight range advantage over the LB 5-X and three times the damage output for only a little over half the weight.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Register