Author Topic: (Answered) Arrow IV Homing Missiles: can a unit self-designate  (Read 1815 times)

Bishop Steiner

• Private
As the title states.

I can't seem to find a straight answer (or maybe simply am not understanding it)

But for the life of me I cannot think of a single reason why a unit could not do it, even though with the short range of TAG, it would be more desperation than desired, likely.
« Last Edit: 15 January 2018, 01:29:52 by Xotl »

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Page refs please, as per the sticky at the top of this forum.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Bishop Steiner

• Private
Page refs please, as per the sticky at the top of this forum.

That is a large part of the issue, is I have not found any specific info on artillery unit's using their own TAG designator.  The Base information on pg 142 of Total Warfare doesn't say anything.  Nor does the rules in Tactical Operations pg 180-182.

The Tactical Ops rules does open up a secondary question using Homing Missiles and their limitations form saw, a VTOL, and if they are still affected by the penalties, and or can be used for direct fire.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Per TO page 354, the Homing Missile works like a standard Artillery attack, with a few exceptions. One of those:
"Instead, the homing missile may only attack units that have been successfully designated by a friendly TAG unit in the turn of the missile’s arrival."

A TAG the firing unit has is per definition friendly, and you'll find no prohibition for a unit firing Artillery weapons and using other systems in the same turn.
So, yes, the firing unit can TAG for itself, but keep an eye on the rules on page 185 of TO.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Bishop Steiner

• Private
Per TO page 354, the Homing Missile works like a standard Artillery attack, with a few exceptions. One of those:
"Instead, the homing missile may only attack units that have been successfully designated by a friendly TAG unit in the turn of the missile’s arrival."

A TAG the firing unit has is per definition friendly, and you'll find no prohibition for a unit firing Artillery weapons and using other systems in the same turn.
So, yes, the firing unit can TAG for itself, but keep an eye on the rules on page 185 of TO.

thank you

Register