Author Topic: How do you feel about players using the BT dice roller app  (Read 13888 times)

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
    • Jade Corsair
Re: How do you feel about players using the BT dice roller app
« Reply #60 on: 10 June 2023, 08:57:57 »
You know another thing about this is people don't trust computers.   I am going to use the HBS BattleTech  game as an example.  People screamed the AI was cheating on head hits.  A few people decided to track rolls turns out it isn't but when a computer rolls numbers people don't like they blame the computer.  Which is kind of funny because almost nobody uses truly balance dice in gaming.

The vanilla HBS game did cheat on hits, just in the players favor.   Each missed short increased the odds of the next one connecting.

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #61 on: 10 June 2023, 09:20:56 »
I don’t have particularly strong feelings on dice rollers. Like others have said, I don’t generally play with people who I suspect of cheating. It really accelerates large numbers of cluster munitions, SRMs, etc..

I also have experienced the racket of a vigorously shaken “box of death”, and was not a fan. I don’t doubt that it is possible to do with restraint, but I’m not sure I’ve encountered it.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #62 on: 10 June 2023, 14:15:35 »
The only problem I have with Dice Rollers is that your not seeing the roll and the results that are so better way to hid the results.
I just see this a lot with rollers for DnD.
It might speed up the game, and that always helps.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #63 on: 10 June 2023, 14:45:29 »
The only problem I have with Dice Rollers is that your not seeing the roll and the results that are so better way to hid the results.
I just see this a lot with rollers for DnD.
It might speed up the game, and that always helps.
Your playing with the wrong people if you need to constantly be on guard for cheating, a phone can be Sat on the table in view of other players.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

paladin2019

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #64 on: 11 June 2023, 16:29:24 »
Or, you know, regularly playing with the various folks who show up to the meetups the FLGS hosts. The opportunity to choose who you play with is often more of a luxury in wargaming than RPGs.
<-- first 'mech I drove as a Robotech destroid pilot way back when

Rastignac

• Recruit
« Reply #65 on: 02 September 2023, 01:56:24 »
It's ok if it is publicly aviable app however it takes lot away from classic BT feeling same with flex sheets.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #66 on: 02 September 2023, 12:31:02 »
I've used a classic game as my die roller: Trouble's Pop-o-Matic bubble.

It's easier to travel, simple to operate and no chasing die around when dropped.

Just a Pop sound as the die are rolled in the dome.

I mean, it's weird at first and if you have multiples, you can paint / mark the base color for different " Box O'Doom ' effect...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Panthros

• Sergeant
« Reply #67 on: 02 September 2023, 18:25:19 »
Casual play sure if both players agree.

Tournament, absolutely not!  Too easy to cheat with the digital dice and if people can bring the mechs, they can bring dice and roll so everyone can see the result.  Tournament dice should also only be pip dice, with nothing else on the die.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #68 on: 02 September 2023, 18:44:11 »

Tournament, absolutely not!  Too easy to cheat with the digital dice and if people can bring the mechs, they can bring dice and roll so everyone can see the result.  Tournament dice should also only be pip dice, with nothing else on the die.

Well, I hope you allow any if the official CGL dice at keast.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #69 on: 02 September 2023, 18:50:51 »

Too true.  Some dice have a special symbol for the '1', others have it for the '6'.  Mixing them up is an invitation for arguments.