Author Topic: Sonic Cannon  (Read 4389 times)

evilauthor

• Captain
Sonic Cannon
« on: 11 February 2011, 11:58:55 »
Since this board seems to be for weapon ideas...

The Sonic Canon uses focused sound to inflict damage on targets. Being as the damage mechanism is SOUND, the weapon's performance is very much dependent on what medium it's shooting through. And while technically an energy weapon, the Sonic Canon has the distinction of producing less heat than any other energy weapon barring a small laser.

Sonic Cannon
Code: [Select]
Tonnage: 6
Crits:   3
Heat:    1

-------Medium---------
          Air     Water   Vacuum
Damage     10      15       15
Range    4/8/12  6/12/18   Melee

Note: In a vacuum, there is no medium through which sound can propagate, so a Sonic Cannon can only be used by putting the muzzle right up against the target and firing.

majesticmoose

• Warrant Officer
Re: Sonic Cannon
« Reply #1 on: 11 February 2011, 14:13:22 »
Is that clan or IS?

My main thought is that the crit should be higher, to account for all the insulation from vibration and feedback.  And maybe 2 heat.  1 is just so...low...

evilauthor

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 12 February 2011, 01:06:16 »
Is that clan or IS?

I don't believe in separate tech bases. VOTE UNITY NOW!  ;)

My main thought is that the crit should be higher, to account for all the insulation from vibration and feedback.  And maybe 2 heat.  1 is just so...low...

I could argue the same about the Gauss Rifle.

ATN082268

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 12 February 2011, 12:36:08 »
Since this board seems to be for weapon ideas...

The Sonic Canon uses focused sound to inflict damage on targets. Being as the damage mechanism is SOUND, the weapon's performance is very much dependent on what medium it's shooting through. And while technically an energy weapon, the Sonic Canon has the distinction of producing less heat than any other energy weapon barring a small laser.

Sonic Cannon
Code: [Select]
Tonnage: 6
Crits:   3
Heat:    1

-------Medium---------
          Air     Water   Vacuum
Damage     10      15       15
Range    4/8/12  6/12/18   Melee

Note: In a vacuum, there is no medium through which sound can propagate, so a Sonic Cannon can only be used by putting the muzzle right up against the target and firing.

It is a little unusual to have a weapon available to the Inner Sphere and the Clans but I guess you could explain it by saying it was a Star League weapon or something. In any case, I would add a ballpark Battle Value (BV) for the weapon. In the vast majority of situations, the weapon does 10 damage out to range 12. I would specify/ clarify how exactly the weapon inflicts damage in melee range. Yeah, its only 1 heat but it weighs 6 tons and takes up 3 crits, so it isn't wildly more powerful than the Clan ER Medium Laser which weighs 1 ton and takes up 1 crit and has better range but with 4 more heat.

Sincerely,

Andrew

mathesont

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 12 February 2011, 23:09:19 »
Interesting.  I would think damage reduced by range would be in order

evilauthor

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 12 February 2011, 23:17:54 »
Interesting.  I would think damage reduced by range would be in order

Oh yeah, there's precedent for that now...

majesticmoose

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 14 February 2011, 10:19:31 »
  It is a little unusual to have a weapon available to the Inner Sphere and the Clans but I guess you could explain it by saying it was a Star League weapon or something. In any case, I would add a ballpark Battle Value (BV) for the weapon. In the vast majority of situations, the weapon does 10 damage out to range 12. I would specify/ clarify how exactly the weapon inflicts damage in melee range. Yeah, its only 1 heat but it weighs 6 tons and takes up 3 crits, so it isn't wildly more powerful than the Clan ER Medium Laser which weighs 1 ton and takes up 1 crit and has better range but with 4 more heat.

Sincerely,

Andrew

I think that's comparing apples to oranges, or energy to balistic.

I suppose it's good as is, just seems like the crit space on it is too low.