Author Topic: New Character Creator on the Block  (Read 25359 times)

gigobyte

• Sergeant
  • Rock'em Sock'em Robots that I don't get bored of.
New Character Creator on the Block
« on: 31 October 2014, 09:20:28 »
I have recently jumped back into battletech and in finding things have changed with the roleplaying side picked up the books. Boy, I was in for a surprise. Character creation was very complicated and they only creators that I was able to find were "Monbvol's". It was pretty good, but lacked things that I wanted in a creator. So since I fancy myself pretty good at Excel...I made one.

I hope you find it as of much use. it is only version 1, and I will be working on inputting equipment and the such when I get an opportunity. I just got a new job and will be busy. If there are any that could help with the data entry...that would be a godsend. I would have attached it but it is 2mb. Below is a link to my onedrive.

Updated to be version 7. (November 7th 2016)

ATOW Character Creator

Thank you for looking it over.

It is a Zip file now! :)

I should add, that it has a great working Module system built in as well as the standard point built system.

gigobyte

• Sergeant
Re: New Character Creator on the Block
« Reply #1 on: 05 November 2014, 15:20:22 »
I guess I should have asked for feedback and for you guys to push it to its max...

I have discovered that there was an error with the Rank "Trait" when going from enlisted to officer and not registering correctly. however it has been fixed and will upload the new one when I have Equipment completed or if there is an overwhelming need to fix multiple errors that have been found.

Thanks

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #2 on: 05 November 2014, 15:36:06 »
Definitely sounds interesting, the number of times I've seen people complain about character generation...
I don't play A Time of War myself, but I'll pass this along to people that do.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 05 November 2014, 15:49:15 »
When I have a chance to play around with it, I'll let you know how it goes.

edit
If I can get it to let me do anything :)
/edit

Kobura

• Corporal
  • Aliis volat propriis.
« Reply #4 on: 11 November 2014, 03:36:58 »
It was never the character writing that I had a problem with, a medium-complexity spreadsheet will do that (and allow for GM intervention to prevent machine-stamped characters) ... it's always been rules expediting, using the final sheet's data more efficiently. Gameplay aids, if you will. That's where I spent all my time :)

I'm actually about to create copypaste-able fully automated tactical/vehicle sheets that are spreadsheet-compliant, to replace paper/jpg+paint/pdf mech record sheets!
Angel of the Light
Serpent of the Night

Proud of Clan
Proud of Honor
Proud of Battle

Kobura Shinja Cape

gigobyte

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 14 November 2014, 08:58:01 »
I was just wondering if there is anyone out there that has some time and desire to help out with data entry.

What I need is the equipment lists in excel format.

If you are interested in helping PM, or email me and I will email you the format and data sheet.

here's hoping...

ndkid

• Recruit
« Reply #6 on: 26 February 2015, 19:26:03 »
I attempted to use your workbook today, but could not see dropdowns, or interact at all, really, with the Life Module Selection worksheet, either online or locally in excel.

gigobyte

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 03 March 2015, 14:30:26 »
That is strange... What version of excel are you using? Did you allow macro's...i don't think I have any in the sheet but sometimes excel likes to be to secure. Also did you allow it to be edited up at the top. I will look into this when I get home from work. Is anyone else having this issue?

gigobyte

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 03 March 2015, 15:09:20 »
Ok you were right. But there is a fix, there is a selection up at the top right that says edit, select edit in excel and then save to your hard drive. I don't know why it did that but that is how I got it to work. also just an update I am currently almost done with equipment formulas and whatnot so it shouldn't be too long until an update is out.

ndkid

• Recruit
« Reply #9 on: 04 March 2015, 08:21:16 »
I do not have the "Edit in Excel" menu option when I go to your link. I also had no dropdowns when I downloaded the sheet and opened it in Excel 2010 locally.

gigobyte

• Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 04 March 2015, 11:43:31 »
Guess I need a new place to host this sheet? Is anyone else having this problem?

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #11 on: 04 March 2015, 16:45:48 »
Guess I need a new place to host this sheet? Is anyone else having this problem?

Just tested it and it works fine for me.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

khanjohn

• Corporal
  • More things change the more they stay the same.
« Reply #12 on: 04 March 2015, 23:22:28 »
I tried and it says links disabled and no drop downs for me.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 05 March 2015, 01:01:17 »
issues I ran into:
I have excel 2003 so it doesn't support a number of features
when I try to open the "worksheet" using "excel online I get 2 yellow errors at the top of the page (in both IE and chrome)
links disabled: links to external workbooks are not supported and have been disabled
unsupported features: there are some features in your workbook that we cannot show in the browser..

I also tried saving it to my onedrive and then saving a local copy and importing to excel but there were "issues" in the conversion

additionally it mentions that all the sheets are locked without passwords, but for some reason will not allow me to unlock

with all that said... it does look good.

gigobyte

• Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 17 April 2015, 20:59:52 »
I updated it with equipment. You can get the zip above or in my signature.

neonbasschild

• Recruit
« Reply #15 on: 29 April 2015, 01:36:49 »
You sir are a saint. I love this game but I HATE character creation. I can't emphasis HATE enough. I have tried several excel sheets and the program that never was finish and its all crap compared to this.

Also a bug report using the current version of the excel for mac the weapons area returns errors in the calculations.

Keep up the amazing work!

gigobyte

• Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 29 April 2015, 10:38:33 »
Also a bug report using the current version of the excel for mac the weapons area returns errors in the calculations.

I am sorry about this. I do not have access to a mac at the moment, but I will try to locate one to see what the issue is. You made me nervous so I went back and checked the whole sheet, however like I said I don't have a mac so I could only check on a PC. All seems well on the PC though. I know that doesn't help you however.

Does every thing else work?

neonbasschild

• Recruit
« Reply #17 on: 29 April 2015, 20:34:26 »
Yes everything else works amazingly!

If I get time I can try and find were the errors are coming from.

gigobyte

• Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: 30 April 2015, 10:28:04 »
I updated the sheet again, sorry...found some issues when creating characters

mostly Mixed traits not becoming visable on the character sheet and also I wanted to put on the character sheet a place for your actual age.

gigobyte

• Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 10 May 2015, 12:16:01 »
Added a link to a word document describing the steps for character creation in detail.

Nebfer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 11 May 2015, 15:25:38 »
The only issue is that it seems it dose not work for thoughs who do not have Excel...  :(

Taelus

• Private
« Reply #21 on: 12 May 2015, 18:50:42 »
I have to get some more information on different things for mechwarriors.
Didn't do much with them before.

gigobyte

• Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 03 June 2015, 11:34:40 »
Wow, this thread certainly has alot of views. So I hope that means alot of downloads too. Well? Has anyone run into issues or have suggestions for future updates?

Thank you.

Dulahan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: 14 August 2015, 13:39:08 »
The only issue is that it seems it dose not work for thoughs who do not have Excel...  :(

Open office?

gigobyte

• Sergeant
« Reply #24 on: 14 August 2015, 13:57:40 »
I don't know open office. I would assume that it is similar to Excel, but not close enough that it works. However, I don't think $70 a year is that much for all of the office suite.

I am sorry for those of you that don't have excel. I am still working on keeping this up to date with fixes for me to take time out to learn why it isn't working.

I do give permission for anyone that wants to take on the task of converting it to work on open office though.

Panthros

• Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: 15 August 2015, 14:52:29 »
Give LibreOffice a try so you let that 10 year old Excel die ;)  No need to necessarily purchase a new version if you do not use it often which is why I am always turning people on to LibreOffice.

issues I ran into:
I have excel 2003 so it doesn't support a number of features
when I try to open the "worksheet" using "excel online I get 2 yellow errors at the top of the page (in both IE and chrome)
links disabled: links to external workbooks are not supported and have been disabled
unsupported features: there are some features in your workbook that we cannot show in the browser..

I also tried saving it to my onedrive and then saving a local copy and importing to excel but there were "issues" in the conversion

additionally it mentions that all the sheets are locked without passwords, but for some reason will not allow me to unlock

with all that said... it does look good.

gigobyte

• Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: 02 November 2015, 11:25:14 »
Updated the character creator version 6

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #27 on: 02 November 2015, 11:39:04 »
Had not caught this before. I'll tag the thread to keep track. Well done.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

gigobyte

• Sergeant
« Reply #28 on: 02 November 2015, 12:13:24 »
What does "tag" do?

solmanian

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 02 November 2015, 13:32:59 »
Neat templates. Will definitely use.

Noticed that most don't have any relevant traits beyond rank and such... I guess this are thug level?
Making the dark age a little brighter, one explosion at a time.
Have you met the clans? Words like "Naïve" and "misguided" are not enough to describe the notion that a conquest of the IS by the clans would result in a Utopian pacifistic society.