Author Topic: Star Trek general thread  (Read 140529 times)

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
Re: Star Trek general thread
« Reply #210 on: 06 February 2020, 04:30:31 »
To be fair, the announcement of the two new shows is the first expansion of new new Trek since DISCO series 2, and the last batch of Short Treks definitely felt like they were testing the waters in terms of production and audience reaction.

After this week's Picard, I'm making a prediction: In episode 10, Picard will return to the chateau to discover Laris, Zhaban and Number One surrounded by a massive pile of dead Romulan death squads because they kept on coming but never got any more successful than the first one.  And overall that episode was damned good.  People who saw the first three eps said they formed a pilot/first arc for the show and it really felt that way.  Raffi and Rios are both promising characters, those last two shots might have got me in the feels, and they were clearly meant to.  But like, yeah, well played, Star Trek.

Also, Vasquez Rocks finally got to play itself in Star Trek!
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #211 on: 06 February 2020, 07:50:45 »
To be fair, the announcement of the two new shows is the first expansion of new new Trek since DISCO series 2,

Is it just me or every time somebody mentions DISCO this immediately comes to mind:

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #212 on: 06 February 2020, 08:11:04 »
Those uniform colours show he was in the groovy department.  Ayyyyyyy

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #213 on: 08 February 2020, 17:44:48 »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #214 on: 08 February 2020, 18:17:38 »
After this week's Picard, I'm making a prediction: In episode 10, Picard will return to the chateau to discover Laris, Zhaban and Number One surrounded by a massive pile of dead Romulan death squads because they kept on coming but never got any more successful than the first one.

Maybe not that long a wait after all, with episode three.  And a little more (and welcome) information about what's going on with the Borg cube.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #215 on: 08 February 2020, 18:18:48 »
"Groove frequencies open, Captain."
Maybe not that long a wait after all, with episode three.  And a little more (and welcome) information about what's going on with the Borg cube.
I'm down with hearing more about that, spoiler away.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #216 on: 09 February 2020, 01:00:44 »
Shortly after assimilating a Romulan scout vessel, the cube's sub-matrix malfunctioned (the exact nature of this hasn't been explained yet) and all the Borg aboard were disconnected from the collective.  It's now something of a public research site for Borg technology and history by multiple states, with Romulan administration and oversight.  The drones are being disassembled and rehabilitated, although the Romulan ones are all left in a mentally damaged state (see pretty much any movie asylum scene, such as in 12 Monkeys).  There's strong hints the Romulans are also engaged in secret projects of their own in "out of bounds" areas.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #217 on: 09 February 2020, 02:36:22 »
Shortly after assimilating a Romulan scout vessel, the cube's sub-matrix malfunctioned
10,327.1% coincidental, I assure you.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #218 on: 09 February 2020, 05:00:30 »
There are a lot of spoilers in the prequel comic and they bring up a lot of them on that Ready Room show after. I guess that the Cube didn't get damagaged in Romulan Space..it was damaged or something before and floated into it. The Romulans never attack or attacked by it. I guess more will be revealed later, but they better get to it 3 episodes down, and only 7 to go. Don't have 20+ to explain everything. 
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #219 on: 09 February 2020, 09:36:39 »
The why and how the cube got damaged is only relevant if it has direct bearing on the plot itself - if not it's just nice to have filler info.
They shouldn't feel obliged to explain every little tidbit or info that isn't relevant.

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #220 on: 09 February 2020, 12:09:31 »
See above!

I'd rather advance the plot than get trivia... but the tarot twin reading was creepy
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #221 on: 09 February 2020, 15:20:37 »
Depends how Romulans are doing since lost of Romulus.  Are they empire, they fragment?  they shifted to another set worlds?  They were empire.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #222 on: 09 February 2020, 16:49:00 »
Depends how Romulans are doing since lost of Romulus.  Are they empire, they fragment?  they shifted to another set worlds?  They were empire.

According to the map behind Picard when he asked to be reintegrated into the Starfleet they still have the Empire.
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #223 on: 14 February 2020, 15:06:04 »
Another great episode, I like the kind of slow character building of Picard bringing forth more and more of his nuisances.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #224 on: 14 February 2020, 16:02:09 »

The Borg Reclamation Project is run under the auspices of the Romulan Free State, but other than the name and a change to the insignia, we don't know much about it. I think it's safe to say that the Empire is no more, though. At least, not to the extent it once was. As also evidenced by the people on Vashti that we saw this episode, who have to depend on some organization called the Fenris Rangers for protection until the sector became to chaotic for them to handle. So either the Empire still exists and just abandoned those refugees or the Empire ist kaput.

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #225 on: 14 February 2020, 16:58:13 »
Three words I never knew I needed: Romulan warrior nuns.
- The Society

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #226 on: 15 February 2020, 06:03:49 »
The Borg Reclamation Project is run under the auspices of the Romulan Free State, but other than the name and a change to the insignia, we don't know much about it. I think it's safe to say that the Empire is no more, though. At least, not to the extent it once was. As also evidenced by the people on Vashti that we saw this episode, who have to depend on some organization called the Fenris Rangers for protection until the sector became to chaotic for them to handle. So either the Empire still exists and just abandoned those refugees or the Empire ist kaput.

According to the novel that just came out, Vashti was a Federation colony near the Neutral Zone that was used as a staging point, so it could be that sector was abandoned by the Federation after the Synth attack.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #227 on: 15 February 2020, 09:25:21 »
Another great episode, I like the kind of slow character building of Picard bringing forth more and more of his nuisances.

I like how we're learning that he's resting on his laurels and its getting him nowhere fast his reputation is as bad as he believes starfleets is

The whole tell them it's me- we did I thought was good

I can see him and Rios having a run in

The space battle was cool with no exploding consoles
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #228 on: 15 February 2020, 10:42:32 »
It was a better episode than the last 3. Still kinda slow to me, but speed up a little bit.
Like the space fight!
Just not to over excited over 7 of 9 being back. I know from the trailers but hopefully not to much.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #229 on: 16 February 2020, 11:53:44 »
There's not that many episodes to the series right? It's like ten Episodes slated correct?
The're going need ramp things up by at least episode 5-6 i would think.
« Last Edit: 16 February 2020, 16:13:20 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #230 on: 16 February 2020, 12:42:16 »
Is it just me, or is this developing a very Seven Samurai flavor?
- The Society

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #231 on: 16 February 2020, 14:12:48 »
It seems closer to Star Wars, imo. Now they have a Romulan Jedi too.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #232 on: 20 February 2020, 05:01:41 »
Really enjoyed this week's ep.  It threaded the line between a self-contained story and moving the plot along very well, had some good funny bits, some great tension and action, and had a ton of continuity nods and in-jokes.

Of all the characters to have a cameo, was not expecting the one in the flashback at the start, or what happened to them...

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #233 on: 20 February 2020, 07:46:17 »
It seems closer to Star Wars, imo. Now they have a Romulan Jedi too.
I thought an elf swordsman had joined the fellowship.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #234 on: 20 February 2020, 15:50:03 »
I can honestly say that this episode of Picard was the very first time I have ever liked Seven of Nine.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #235 on: 20 February 2020, 16:01:15 »
I can honestly say that this episode of Picard was the very first time I have ever liked Seven of Nine.

Seconded. That was her plus, for sure. I cringed when she showed up in the trailer, and to my surprise I found myself wanting her to come back some time for more of this version of her.

I wonder how Janeway would feel about her new-found purpose.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #236 on: 20 February 2020, 16:04:36 »
I gotta say, this era looks like a great period for role-playing in the Trekverse. If what Seven was saying is accurate, and the former Neutral Zone and at least some of the Federation side of the border is effectively lawless, there's a ton of potential to play as criminals, bounty-hunters, the Fenris Rangers, or the crew of a small Federation or Romulan ship trying to keep the peace

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #237 on: 20 February 2020, 16:27:48 »
I gotta say, this era looks like a great period for role-playing in the Trekverse. If what Seven was saying is accurate, and the former Neutral Zone and at least some of the Federation side of the border is effectively lawless, there's a ton of potential to play as criminals, bounty-hunters, the Fenris Rangers, or the crew of a small Federation or Romulan ship trying to keep the peace

Sounds a bit like The Triangle from back in the Fasa rpg days.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #238 on: 20 February 2020, 18:40:32 »
All kinds of opportunities, too, for factions of the shattered Star Empire to be propped up by neighboring power in proxy wars (like the Klingons and Federation), for supplying those conflicts via convenient weapon shipments courtesy of Ferengi business practices...
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #239 on: 20 February 2020, 21:33:41 »
From a RPG perspective I haven't seen todays episode yet, but I was having a few thoughts about how to drop one of my chars in and i'll say one of the first things that came to mind was that I could totally see one of my chars coming into the solar system and requesting a parking orbit around earth, and requesting said orbit where she can have at least 50 miles "security buffer" around her "private Yacht" the ISD Guardian, with various camouflage  and Cloaking systems, to make it look only a little bigger than a Defiant Class.

Register