Author Topic: Tales of the Mimetic Badarses - Run from paradise  (Read 4513 times)

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
Tales of the Mimetic Badarses - Run from paradise
« on: 10 April 2014, 21:00:18 »
Galatea City
Galatea
Word of Blake Protectorate
12 December 3075

The fighting for Galatea was far from over, having merely shifted from the city itself to the ast desert wastes and ancient facilities that covered much of the planet's surface. However, as far as the Mimetic Badarses were concerned, their part in the battle for the planet was over.

The next battle, however, would be fought on their terms. What they were doing today was merely the first step in ensuring that.

Right now, Sandra was lurking in the upper levels of a still-standing warehouse that had been hastily converted into a meeting hall. Several others were with her, present for their own small roles for what was to come. Reg and Elezha as her almost ubiquitous detectives, ones without whom none of what they were doing would be possible. Levisha because of her position as a figurehead and because of her own skills and knowledge. Jake to loom up big behind her to ensure she remained cooperative. And Victoria to lurk in the rafters, just in case.

The very fact that she knew she could be dead in an instant didn't seem to bother Levisha one bit.

She wasn't concerned with that right now. Rather, Sandra had her eye on the crowd below, a diverse and broad collection of mercenaries gathered together and mingling with each other. This group had been bought together on her idea, but it was Levisha who had made it possible. She had the knowledge, the contacts and the expertise to weave this all together. It was Sandra's job to use them.

“So what do we have?” Sandra asked, looking down over the crowd. “And how much can we trust them?”

“Trust is relative.” Reg replied. “I trust nobody.”

“Yeah, but that’s you.” Sandra commented. “I recognise a couple there; the woman with the black hair and outfit cut to show off her stupidly big boobs, for starters. We’ve worked with her before.”

“Yeah, that’s Reven Dyron, leader of the Storm Riders.” Reg agreed. “Her unit were a part of our cover on Asta.”

“So what’s her beef with the Hounds?”

“Dyron split her unit from the now-defunct Blackguards.” Levisha replied. “Who’s leader, incidentally, recently escaped custody, hence why she’s here. StarCorps also dropped her men on Lone Star after we got back.”

“So she went renegade on her own choice. Not a good start.” Sandra growled.

“She seems to genuinely hate the Word.” Levisha offered. “Once going so far as to comment that she made a moral choice not to work for them, and you can imagine how rare that would be.”

“Doesn’t mean I have to like her.” Sandra nodded, noting the tall, harsh-featured man she was talking to. “Ivan Konstantinov, Red Star Guard. Again, they covered for us, but I want to know what their investment in this is.”And why you picked them.

“See the man next to him?” Levisha asked. “Black hair, pencil moustache? That’s Evarste Deval, the last surviving officer of the Wild Funky Dogs. They’re burning for revenge against the Word after they all but destroyed the command. Konstantinov is glad to oblige.”

“Konstantinov also wants Tikonov for the Cappellans.” Reg added. “Driving the Word off it goes towards that goal.”

“As long as he doesn’t decide to suddenly go leave us for them along the way.” Sandra continued, looking over the crowd. Many of them seemed to be aides, lower-ranked officers or hanger-onerers, which made picking out the actual faces hard. Instead, she was looking for the stand-outs. “Redhead; can’t be more than her twenties. Looks very out of her depth.”

“Annika Magyari, commander of Mayari’s Irregulars.” Levisha explained. “She inherited the unit unexpectedly after somebody killed her father. The Word then pinned the blame on a unit that her family have a long-standing grudge with in order to spark a war with the Marians.”

“How’d that end?”

“Magyari decided she wasn’t going to follow through on a fifty year old feud for the sake of it.” Levisha seemed to be genuinely amused. “It’s rather surprising in this industry.”

“Very.” Sandra nodded. “Score one for the sensible column. Who’s the long-haired lout who’s obviously hitting on her?”

“Jack Hadrian, leader of the 88th Wildcat Battalion.” Levisha explained. “His father built the unit up from a few light ‘Mechs to a skilled battalion. The Word nearly undid all of that.”

“Hadrian’s men also found a Star League Cache during the Clan invasion.” Elezha cut in. “They remained rather quiet on what was in it, which is a possible reason why the Word targeted them.”

“Something to do with this HYBRID RAINBOW crap?” Sandra mused. “It would make sense, which almost is counter to the Word’s level of tooling around. Still, he has motive, which is a good start.”

“I’ll try and find out what they found out.” Reg nodded. “You never know.”

“Right.” Sandra shot a quick glance at Levisha, who seemed to have gone back to impassive neutrality. “Another two up there. Scowly tool dressed for a night out in the Combine and looking like he wants to kill everyone in the room, and his buddy with the cowboy hat and matching moustache.”

“That would be Alex Sakai, leader of the Deathstalkers.”Levisha commented. “Yes, the name is ridiculous.”

“I heard of them.” Sandra nodded. “Half of them are a bunch of try-hard Samurai, which is probably half the reason why he looks like he has a stick up his bum. He’d have had to hand over his swords at the door.”

“The other man’s his second, Brad Tucker. He’s the sane one.” Levisha mused.

“He looks like a cowboy and he’s the sane one.” Sandra shook her head. “Makes perfect sense to me. So what’s their investment in all this?”

“The Deathstalkers fought and mauled Team Ominous, one of the Hound units.” Levisha explained. “In response, Ominous called down a nuclear attack on the Deathstalkers’ base camp, wiping out their dependants”

“Do the Word deliberately try to make enemies?”

“Some days I wonder.”

Sakai brushed past a moderately overweight woman, one who was done up in full highlander regalia. “Bridget McLumpher, Carnwath Highlanders” Levisha quickly explained.

“Not related to, whatsy, Shamus McLumpher, I hope.” Sandra commented. “Please tell me that’s not her investment in all of this.”

“Distantly and no.” Levisha managed. “She’s one of the few who can say she’s fought Ogel and survived, however, so that has to count for something.”

“Useful talent.” Sandra considered. “And I recognise the tall guy with the beard she’s talking to as well. Ishmael Esmundo, commander of Ishmael’s Marauders. They’re a good unit too; well-equipped and well trained and useful to know. Plus no pretentions of being Samurai or heirs to ancient traditions or other such crap.”

“Ishmael’s men also scored a victory over the Hounds.” Levisha managed. “And without suffering horrible, disproportionate retaliation in the process. I chose them more because of past experiences and the fact that I knew you’d want a quality unit”

Sandra nodded back to Reg and Elezha. “We’ll thoroughly check them, just in case.” Elezha offered.

“Even if I have to break into their encampment and go through their garbage.” Reg added.

“Sandra, you don’t trust me?” Levisha asked. “I should be hurt.”

“But you hired me not to trust you, so that’s fair.” Sandra finished. “Back to the crowd. There’s a pair over to one side, almost deliberately avoiding anyone else. Tall, severe looking guy in black, and an older guy with white hair whom I can feel the hate coming off from here.” She glanced at the pair of them. “He and Sakai could have a ‘contempt for everyone in the room’-off”

“The severe-looking man is Afrand Khandhadia, the leader of the Kandis Light horse.” Levisha offered.”

“Scion of displaced Tamar nobility.” Reg added, counting off his fingers. “His homeworld was conquered by the Combine, then became a part of the FRR, then the Wolves got it and...” He shrugged. “I think he’s not going to get it back any time soon. Or ever”

“And the old grump?”

“That’s an interesting one.” Levisha mused. “His name is Simpson Smith, leader of the Omegas. They’re a lance-sized unit that used to be bigger, and yes, they’re all that old.”

“Simon Smith?” Sandra commented. “Sounds like an obvious alias to me.”

“Well, the story goes that it is.” Reg glanced around before continuing. “The legend is that he and his men are some sort of Loki Death Squad that use the mercenary trade as cover for their activities. They’ve been at it for decades by all accounts”

“Of course they are.” She managed. “Right, we have a collection of raging psychos, lunatics, desperados and try-hards.”

“With a few still to come.” Elezha added.

Sandra sighed. “Then they’ll have to get the crib notes version. I think it’s time we met our alleged allies.”
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Diablo48

• Major
Re: Tales of the Mimetic Badarses - Run from paradise
« Reply #1 on: 10 April 2014, 21:47:27 »
Well, this is going to get interesting, although I am really hoping you do not expect us to remember all those names and histories because there is no way that is going to happen with my memory. :-[

View my design musings or request your own custom ride here.

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 10 April 2014, 22:43:19 »
I would love to see the monster flow chart you have weaving all this crap back and forht
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 11 April 2014, 02:02:49 »
With all the weird characters about, you are definitely going to have fun with this. O0
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #4 on: 15 April 2014, 23:36:15 »
I keep extensive notes. Boy are they extensive.

-----

As Sandra strode through the meeting room, she wanted to keep her eye on the collection of mercenaries around her, to size up their reactions and even search for hints of recognition. Instead, she found herself keeping her eye more on Levisha as she walked beside her. I must be paranoid, Sandra cursed herself. But she’s too damned confident. And I hate her for that. They’d stripped Levisha of her rank and authority, locked her down and made sure she couldn’t do a thing. And yet, the woman carried on as if nothing had happened.

The pair of them reached a podium at the far end, Levisha taking the spot as Sandra stood next to her. This at least gave her the opportunity to survey the crowd some, trying to read reactions. If anyone knew who Levisha was, then they hid it well. For the most part, the only obvious reaction was the glare of hatred coming off Simpson, though that could have been aimed at the entire universe rather than one specific person.

And above, Sandra could see Hagen, perched and ready to shoot at a moment’s notice. She also had no doubt that Levisha could see them too.

“Allow me to introduce myself.” Levisha began, speaking to the crowd. “My name is Levisha Towne. This is my aide, Sandra Blackmore. We have called you all here for a purpose, one that is of the utmost importance to all of us.”

“These are truly dark times for all of us, and for those of us in the mercenary trade, it’s even more so.” She continued. “One just has to look around and see what has befallen the Mercenary’s Star to know that, or consider the Word’s actions on Outreach.” That sent an angry murmur through the crowd.

“All of us have suffered at the hand of the Word and their allies.” She explained. “We have lost friends, comrades and loved ones. We have seen units and homes destroyed, and lives shattered by them. Each one of you has been affected in some way by them, some more then others.”

Sandra could see a visible flinch from Deval at that last one. He’s got to be hurting the most, she realised. He’s one of the last survivors of a three hundred year tradition, and he saw the rest of that go up in flames around him. Not pleasant.

“And that is why we have called you here.” Levisha continued. “For too long, the Word have been able to run rampant over us and fight to their agenda, their goals. They have been allowed to do what they want, knowing that individually, we were unable to stop them. We have been victims, not only of the word, but of those Mercenaries that have been serving them, with it often too hard to tell friend from foe before they start shooting.”

“Until now”

That seemed to get a response from the crowd, Sandra watching their reactions. More than a few were suddenly keenly aware of her, watching with a more focused intensity then before. “You are not alone.”

Behind Levisha, a display lit up with a collection of unit insignias, representing those present. For some reason, Sandra wasn’t surprised that the Omega’s crest was just that; a greek Omega on a field. Imaginative bunch, aren’t they?

“Like you, we have been fighting the Word for years.” Levisha continued. “Like you, we have suffered losses to them. And, like you, we continue to fight.” She spoke with determination, anger seeping in to her voice. Defiance. “We have had our victories too; hard won and not without price, but they have bought us much, including valuable information.”

The display changed again, bringing up a different row of crests. Sandra recognised some of them from their own encounters, others from units she’d met or heard of at some stage. King’s Tigers, Black Skull Brigade, Harmon’s Hellhounds, the Miljavo Cavaliers, Zandar’s Cannons...

There’s so many of them. She knew that Elezha had recovered some files, and she knew that there had been more that Starling had pulled from their own system before the Word had destroyed it. She could read similar reactions from other members in the crowd, including more then a few angry ones. Some of those will be very personal, I’ll bet

Annika Magyari whispered something to the man standing next to her. Evarste Deval clenched his hands by his side, an intense glare directed at the insignias on screen. Alex Sakai remained in place in a good approximation of Kuritan stoicism. And Levisha... smiled, ever so slightly.

Sandra kept her emotions in check as she took her place in the presentation. Well, they’re nice and wound up, she considered. I don’t know if I should thank you or kill you.

“These Mercenaries-“ Sandra began, adding as much derision as she could to her voice “-are a group working for the Word, collectively known as the Hounds. They’re pretty much a complete bunch of tools, and the lowest scum of our trade.” Though there’s a few in this room who could challenge that, she added. “Some of you have seen that already. Others were betrayed by them, not knowing who was pulling their strings. But the end result is the same.”

“They hurt us. We hurt them back.”

“We’ll be working together to take down these Hounds.” Sandra continued. “As we locate them, we will send strike teams, composed of multiple units, to destroy them. At the same time, we will be gathering information from them, one way or another. Their officers and  commanders; their communiqués and files; their ship logs and whatever else we can find will be harvested from them. Together, we can not only end them, but we can find out why they did this, why they attacked us and what drove them to the Word in the first place.”

Because not all of them will be the money. Everyone has their secrets. Everyone.

“The Word’s greatest strength isn’t their warships or their nukes or their freakish cyborgs.” She managed. “It’s their secrets. That’s what we’re fighting; we don’t know why they do the things they do, and some of it seems just plain pants on head ******. But if we can take that away, if we can figure the whys of what they do, then we take that from them. The Hounds are the first step in that.”

“The Word hurt us. Nothing we do can bring back what we lost. But what we can do is stick it to them, to tool them up as hard as we can. Every Hound we put down is one less asset they can throw back at us, one less murderer who can shovel the Word’s crap on everyone else. And putting them down is going to help us get to the heart of the real problem, the Word and its damn secrets.”

There were more then a few cheers as Sandra spoke. She waited a moment, letting them enjoy themselves before continuing. Yeah, this is turning lynch mob pretty fast.

“To do this, we’re going to take the fight to them.” Sandra explained. “We know their current assignments, where they’re operating from and where they’re likely going. We work as groups, we hit them with force of numbers and we make them hurt.” That last point definitely got some attention from the crowd. Yeah, these guys are out for blood and don’t mind showing it either. Again, I can’t say I’d blame them

Levisha took the spot again as the display changed once more, bringing up a map of the Word of Blake Protectorate. To Sandra, it looked like an ugly white scar in the middle of the multi-coloured tapestry of the Inner Sphere. “The Hounds are active all across the Protectorate, with others taking part in active operations outside it. However, the orders we have intercepted suggests that they are being rotated back towards the Protectorate. This gives us our opportunity.”

“Individual assignments will be handed out as we confirm details, but for now, we all need to be ready.” Levisha explained. “The Word have been allowed to dictate the terms of this war to us for far too long. It’s time we take control again.” Several men moved among the crowd, handing out envelopes. “These information packages list the Hound units, their current strengths and dispositions. It will also have contact information that will allow all of us to coordinate and work together.”

“And together, we can end this.”

There was a round of applause from those gathered; save for a tiny minority, Levisha’s pitch seemed to have hit the spot. But then, I suspect that some of them just don’t want to be happy, she noted before glancing to her onetime commander. “So in short, we’re using them as cover to fulfil our goals.” Sandra muttered. “Which is pretty much the same thing that the Word were doing with the Hounds. Remind me what the difference between us is.”

“It’s simple, Sandra.” Levisha explained. “They’re monsters. We cannot allow them to continue.”

“And who’s going to stop us from becoming the same thing?”

Levisha smiled. “I believe you already know the answer to that, Sandra. After all, you’re the one with the power to end all this right now.” She nodded up at Hagen, who waved back. “And as horrible as that may seem, you know it is still going to be less then what the Word will do before this is over.”

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #5 on: 28 April 2014, 23:05:20 »
Vasistha Island
Mizar
10 February 3076

Even by the standards of a resort world for the wealthy and the elite, Vasistha Island was exclusive. Home to one of the world’s most pricy resorts, it normally catered only to the upper crust of Lyran society, as well as the few travellers from other realms that had that much money to throw around. Pristine beaches, crystal-clear water, unspoilt reefs and a few nearby islands that had remained untouched since settlement made for an attractive destination. The six-star resort was merely a good place to stay while there.

Currently, however, its clientele were rather different from the norm. While the Jihad had largely killed interstellar tourism, the resort was far from empty.

“This,” Chris Gibbons began, “Is the best assignment ever.” He was holding a coconut cup in hand, a straw, a flower and several miniature umbrellas among the things sticking out of it. A heavy set man with a thick head of hair, his military fatigues were somewhat offset by the bright, floral-print shirt he was wearing.

“I’ll say,” Dave Sprouse, his second in command agreed. Tall and lean, he was dressed similarly to his commander. “Sit in a resort, spend time on the beach and protect a target with no value whatsoever on a world that’s pretty low on the priority list.” He smirked. “And get paid for it.”

“Makes me think what the Old Man would say if he was here.”

Sprouse considered it a moment. “Probably something like ‘pass me another pina colada’.”

Chris laughed a moment. Formerly the second in command of Zandar’s Cannons, he’d taken command following their commander’s apparent abduction on Graham IV. The Word had expressed their deepest sympathies, told Chris that they would endeavour to recover him and then thrown some good-quality Salvage on top of their pay. That had been enough to ensure a smooth transition of command, and to get the rechristened Gibbons’ Gunners back into action.

Rescuing Gene Zandar was still something they intended to do, of course. Once they knew where he was, and once this assignment was over, of course.

“So, any word from the Word?”David continued as they walked to the ‘command centre’ of their makeshift headquarters. And by ‘command centre’, they meant ‘the best-stocked poolside bar on the island’.

“None at all.”Chris smiled. “Beyond sit tight, keep an eye on things and wait around for our next orders.”

“You’d think that with Galatea’s fall and our being a jump away from them, they’d want to step up the readiness.” He stopped to order a drink. “We could be the next on the list.”

”Maybe.” He finished. “But until they say otherwise, we’re staying put. It’s a harsh, demanding duty, but I suppose somebody’s got to do it.” He took another slurp from his cocktail. “Now if you’ll excuse me, I think I’m going to go patrol the pool.”

-----

Several islands away, a lone figure emerged from the water, working its way up the beach towards the treeline. Anyone who happened to be on the normally uninhabited island would just assume them to be a diver, given the mask pushed up on their forehead and what looked like an expensive, fashionable wetsuit. Black with bright red patterns on the body and limbs, it looked like the sort of suit that was marketed to the rich who wanted to look as good in the water as they did everywhere else.

Up close, somebody might notice that the limbs didn’t quite match the body; that what could have been mistaken at distance for the latest in waterproof synthetic fabrics was, in fact, dull metal.

Eloise scanned the area around her as she headed into the jungle, enhanced vision looking out for anyone else that might be around and only advancing once she was sure that she was alone. While the islands were obstinately uninhabited, practical experience and operational profiles had told her to be sure. And within the operational parameters of POGATA SUNSET, there was no room at all for error.

Silently, she stalked through the thick growth, picking and weaving her way through the riot of greenery that the island had quickly become. Her internal systems kept her on-course, heading towards the small peak that was the highest point of the island, ensuring that there was no way for her to become disoriented or lost along the way to her objective.

Adaptive feet helped her along the way, the toes reconfiguring to become claws in places to help her better grip and traverse broad roots or rocks, working in conjunction with her similarly altered hands to enable her progress. These limbs, as alien as they were to her, had been a gift, one that would allow her to carry out her Master’s will, to further the Blessed Blake’s vision for the future.

But it went beyond that, too, being something that Eloise held close to her heart. In a way, she saw them as a chance at reconciliation; as a hybrid of Manei Domeni and Adapter technology, she saw herself as a way for the two groups to cooperate and come together. They had so much in common, after all; both knew the weakness of all flesh, and both used machines to improve and enhance themselves, to sacrifice themselves to make a better future for all mankind.

And within that truth was the great tragedy. Despite how much they had in common, those Adapters she had met and dealt with (especially the one girl who’s limbs she now wore) had treated them not with open arms and acceptance for their shared beliefs. Instead, they had lest fear and horror control them, shocked and appalled at the Masters’ Hands and what they were. Their fear was like that of a small child, confronted with something it could not begin to understand. And, like a child, they had chosen to cower from this shared truth, rather than embrace it.

It was with this fact in mind that she acted now, to create a future where such divides would not exist. The Adaptors would live in a future without fear, one where they could look in the mirror and see what they were, not the monsters they might become.

But for that to happen, she needed to complete her mission first.

At the island’s peak was the sole indication that man had ever set foot on it, a simple navigational beacon that had been placed in order to ensure that the luxury yachts and cruise ships of the ultra-wealthy would not be imperilled while navigating the waters around the island. The reason why it had been placed was of no concern to her, however, but rather elements of its design.

Eloise quickly bought up a series of files on her internal systems, comparing several diagrams to the device before her. The model and configuration check out, she considered, in spite of the three hundred year difference. That suggests that the objective has been left intact and undisturbed as well.

There was a small hatch at the base of the beacon, enough to let a technician in to check the Star League-era fusion generator that had powered the beacon and its functions for hundreds of years. Mizar was the playground of the wealthy, and even during the worst deprivations of the Succession Wars, much of the technology that had made it such had remained intact. While a part of her was thankful that there were technologies that had survived on this world and nowhere else, there was also that part of Eloise who despised the fact that it had only managed such to serve the parasitic social elite.

Removing the hatch, she slipped inside, eyes immediately falling on the generator within. Again she bought up the specifications, examining them closely against the reality before her. There have been some modifications. Probably jury-rigging and bypasses done to ensure continued functionality during the lean years. However, everything does seem to be working normally. It seemed an extravagance, but she knew that the people of the Star League had gladly used such technologies for such minor reasons, simply because they could. Others had taken advantage of that excess, which was what had bought her here today.

Kneeling down within the cramped hatchway, her augmented fingers wedged themselves into the metal plate that served as the floor, finding tiny but appreciable seams in it. Several experimental tugs found one section that was awkwardly, barely mobile, but enough to give her a good place to start. With hands that now more resembled claws and feet wrapped around whatever she could find, Eloise slowly but surely pulled the plate open, ancient and long-rusted hinges fighting her every step of the way before finally yielding to her efforts.

Beneath it was a pit, narrow and largely natural with no ladder or any other way to get down there. Eloise didn’t even flinch at the sight, instead grabbing onto the rocky sides of the pit with hands and feet that had been designed for use in microgravity. Slowly and steadily she made her way downwards, her limbs twisting and contorting in ways that would seem freakishly unnatural to anyone watching, akin to some sort of metal spider or crab.

Anyone who found this would have a hard time getting in without the advantages that I possess. Again, I should thank her for giving me these wonderful gifts.

The descent was long and slow, each step measured and cautious as she moved with the utmost care. Should something happen, should she be unable to leave for whatever reason, then there could be no rescue. Outside of Ogel, nobody knew that she was here, and she could not risk exposure.

There was one thing to guide her movements; a conduit running down the side of the pit, shielded and tightly bound to the rocks. That alone was enough to grab her attention and tell her that this climb was worth it. And as she reached the tapering, narrow end of the pit, she could see where it was headed.

Perfect.

Digging her hands and one foot into the sides of the pit, Eloise lowered herself with painstaking care, every little move careful and considered, precisely measured and prepared before acting. Her free foot reached out, toes curling around a small object at the base of the pit. With the utmost care bordering on reverence, she lifted it, stopping only when she felt the tug of the conduits. Now the hard part.

Slowly, delicately, she turned, hands and foot adjusting to keep her stable without moving the device. Her eyes examined it, onboard systems running alongside visual inspection to tell her that it was, indeed, what she was looking for.

Freeing one hand, she carefully extracted several cables from the other arm. Another gift from the donor of these limbs, Eloise had already found them to be incredibly useful. Connecting them up to the device, she began to copy the data from it. I’m probably the only person to see this since the fall of the Star League, she considered. The deepest secrets are always the most interesting, and this is... fascinating.

-----

“Hey Major,” Dave Sprouse began, looking from the resort balcony. “That weird MD is back.”

Chris Gibbons joined his executive on the balcony, a drink in hand. Following his indication, he saw the woman in question headed up the beach, looking for all the world like some sort of truly bizarre tourist. “You know, when we got our new cyborg friend, I had no idea what to expect. You hear... stories about them.” He nodded to Dave. “Like they can read your mind, or control their ‘Mechs without even being in them.”

“Does she even use a ‘Mech?” Dave asked. “All I’ve seen her do is wander around on the beach and stare blankly into space. And it’s not like she’s got a Celestial parked here.”

“She doesn’t look like infantry.” Chris agreed. “I mean, she’s slim and, well, kind of hot. As long as you don’t think too hard about it.”

Dave winced. “I thought about it.”

“Told ya.”

“So what do you think she’s been up to?”

“Would she tell us if we asked?” Chris shot back. “Mysterious ways and all.” He looked down, only to find that she’d wandered out of his line of sight. Sighing to himself, he took another long, slow sip on his cocktail. “Still, if our duty means that I have to sit here on the beach and sip cocktails all day while she does crazy cyborg things, then I’m all for it. We’re being paid the best we ever have, we’ve been loaded down with tech that would make us the envy of any unit. Yeah, man, this duty is harsh.”

“Just don’t think too hard about it. Or her.” Dave smirked. “Wait, I did again.”

“Have your dropships made ready to depart.”

The pair of them jumped and turned around to find Eloise standing behind them, watching them with her single, visible eye. That might have been the thing about her that freaked out Dave the most; he had no idea what she hid behind that draped forelock of hers, and was almost afraid to find out.

“We’re moving?” He managed, stammering a little.

“Soon.” She replied. “I want your ships loaded and your troops on standby; not tanning themselves and getting drunk.” He felt like she was glaring at his drink. “The enemy are one jump away. We could be attacked at any time and you need to be ready for it. I do not want to lose this world because your men were drunk, unprepared and lounging around when they should have been doing what they were paid for. Or do you want to end up like tour former commander?”

Chris was going to point out that his men represented only a small minority of the forces on-world, and that their location meant that they were likely going to be a low priority for any would-be attackers. Instead, he realised that arguing with her was not going to be a move that would end well for him, reigning in the embarrassment he felt at her berating and letting sense take command. “Yes.” He managed. “I’ll have them prepped as soon as possible.”

“See that you do.” She simply replied, her visible eye narrowing. He wondered if even that was natural. Without a further comment, she simply turned and left the pair of them to their drinks.

“Enjoy it while it lasts.” Dave commented.

“The view, the assignment or the drink?”

“I was thinking of your command.” Dave finished. “But those work too.”

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 29 April 2014, 02:04:05 »
When you had the passageway appearing, I thought you would have a surprise for Eloise.
Warbots, a blow up doll of Stefan Amaris or something just as deadly. O0
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #7 on: 29 April 2014, 20:39:51 »
Jumpship Xim the Despot
Galatea System
Protectorate Worlds
10 February 3076

“I think I might actually have to thank Ogel,” Jake smirked as he headed into the Despot’s situation room.

“How so?” Sandra glared back.

“Because an ordinary Joe like me could never afford a holiday on Mizar.” He joked back. “And now I’m being paid to head there.”

“Okay, you got me there.” She admitted. “Just focus on tooling up the Robes and their pet dogs for now. You can work on your tan later.”

As she entered, Sandra could catch a similar air from several others present; rather then the anticipation of their first mission under the new plan with their allies, or discussing what they’d find planetside or even the hunt for Ogel, there was talk of beaches, swimsuits and cocktails. I suppose I should be glad that they’re actually looking forward to this, Sandra considered. Because invading a resort planet seems to be good for morale.

She stopped at the head of the room, nodding to Reg and Elezha before beginning. I seem to spend all my time doing this, she mentally added. Not bad given that I started out as a grumpy and embittered loner.

“I’m not going to spend my time going over the obvious and things you already know.” Sandra began. “This is the first stage of our plan to hunt down the Word and Ogel in specific, as well as putting an end to the Hounds. And yes, it just happens to be taking us to one of the nicest planets in the Inner Sphere to boot” That got a round of laughs from those

“We’re not aiming to boot the Word off-world.” She continued. “Mizar’s a low priority; there’s not much of any value there beyond a PM division that doesn’t even have enough transport assets to leave the world. What we are doing instead is a targeted strike, aimed at two objectives.”

A map came up, focusing on one island that was removed from any of the world’s major continents. “This is Vasistha island, a playground for the stupidly rich, located nicely in the middle of nowhere. It has no strategic value whatsoever, and its remote location means that it wouldn’t even make a good base of operations for planetary defences. All that means that there’s no real reason why Zandar’s Cannons have been sitting there for the last few months soaking up the sun beyond the Word giving them an all-expenses paid working holiday.”

There were a few laughs from the crowd. “So one of the objectives will be to remove them as a part of the whole ‘get rid of the Hounds’ thing. To this effect, we’ll be working with the 88th Wildcats to that first and most obvious objective. We’re also following through with what we did last time we met the Cannons, and taking their leader prisoner.”

More images came up on the screen, this time with an MRBC profile. “This is Chris Gibbons, formerly the second of the late, unlamented Gene Zandar and now the commander of the unit. The profiles’ a few years old, but the point still stands; he’s our chance to bag us a high-ranking Hound leader while taking out their unit and try to find out what they’re doing. The Wildcats know this much, and they’ll be working with us to take down the Cannons”

Several more diagrams came up as Reg and Elezha stepped up to join her. “This next part is, of course, at our level only. The Wildcats don’t need to know and more to the point, will never know.” Giving a nod, she stepped back and let the pair of them take over.

“In one of those ‘this is clearly not a coincidence’ moments, Mizar was also the refuge for one of the HYBRID RAINBOW scientists, Dr Gwaine DiSchmitt.” Reg began.

“DiSchmitt was a theoretical physicist who did a lot of high-end research in hyperspace physics.” Elezha continued. “We don’t know exactly what her role in HYBRID RAINBOW was, but we can say that we likely don’t want the Word knowing what she discovered. She was willing to go to great lengths to hide her findings from Amaris, and it’s fair to assume the Word has similar intent.”

“Besides, if we can find out what it was she had, then we go a long way to figuring out what the Word are up to” Reg finished. “And I’m sure that it’s fascinating stuff too. You see-“

Sandra coughed discreetly. “At any rate, we have identified two likely locations that the data might have been stashed.” Reg continued. “Bearing in mind that obviously she did such three hundred years ago, so there’s a fair margin of error here. The good is that Mizar’s a largely stable world, and came through the Succession Wars largely unharmed while the people on the planet have done their best to keep things as close to the ‘good old days’ as possible.”

“So how do you know where to look?” Jim Wrylokk butted in, his tone almost accusating.

Jim, you are a tool, Sandra considered. A tool who’s a great pilot and managed to survive despite all else, but still a tool.

“We, uh, had information gathered from several different sources.” Elezha simply spoke.

“I’ve been following HYBRID RAINBOW for years.” Reg added. “It’s fascinating stuff, really. Nobody has a clue what it was all about, but there’s all sorts of tantalising hints and-“

“I’m sure you have your sources” Wrylokk rumbled. Sandra could see a couple of those around him muttering or exchanging whispers.

Great going there, she considered. Are you trying to undermine us, or do you just do it for the sake of being a tool?

“Based on all that, there are two likely locations” Reg continued, trying to regain control of the situation. “The first is the Port Malibu data centre; it’s largely an administrative complex for a resort town, but there’s evidence to say that DiSchmitt worked there for a while under an assumed name. It’d have been a good place to hide her data in among all the usual admistrivia, especially if it was encoded or the like.”

Elezha bought up several maps of the complex. “The facility in question has remained operational and functional since the Star Leauge, and it is still running the same Data Cores as it was back then. They’re solid state and, unless they were purged or the like, would probably have the same data left on them.”

“I will be leading a team to investigate the facility and retrieve the data if it is present.” She continued. “We will be running this operation parallel to the attack on Vasistha island in order to cover it and distract the Word from what’s going on. This will be a covert operation; no battle armour or the like.”

“The second likely location is a bit more troublesome.” Reg continued as another diagram came up, this time illustrating a massive structure, hanging above the surface of the planet. There were more than a few appreciative ‘oohs’ from the crowd at the image, something that looked to Sandra’s eye less like an aircraft or a dropship and more like a city in flight.

“This is Mizar Skycity, a true wonder of Star League mega-engineering and one of only two of its kind left in the Inner Sphere.” He explained. “The other one is over Luthien, and I don’t know its current status. That aside, it’s basically a gigantic airship holding aloft the most insanely expensive and exclusive resort in all of human space. Even today with all the LosTech we’ve unlocked, the secrets of such things are beyond us.”

“But that’s the bad news. The good is that the facility is definitely one of those ‘don’t touch a thing unless you have to’ matters, and definitely somewhere where the computers would never have been erased or altered or the like. Because, well, who wants to risk having thousands of tons of flying city crash from the sky because they don’t know how to run a system restore?” That bought out a few laughs.

“As with the data centre, there’s evidence to place her in there, and it’s elaborate and extensive computer systems would be a great place to hide something.” Elezha offered. “We cannot overlook any options here, and as such, we will send a team to investigate and potentially retrieve the data if it is there.”

“That team will be lead by Scott Archer and consist-“ Sandra stopped at the sound of groans and mumbles coming from the assembled crowd. “-consist of his team alone.”

Before anyone spoke, Sandra cut in again. “We leave as soon as we jump into the Mizar system.” She continued. “Our two strike forces will leave via shuttle and use the main dropship group as cover. We hit the ground first; the two strike teams hit their objectives once we’re engaged. We take out the Gunners, we take the data the Word were hunting and we get a little bit closer to ending this on our terms.”

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #8 on: 01 May 2014, 21:42:15 »
Inbound, Mizar
14 February 3076

OPERATION DESERT DISK

“Attention passengers.” Jake called out over their communications network. “We are now approaching sunny Vasistha Island. Please fasten your safety belts and ensure that all your luggage is stowed in preparation for landing. Thank you for flying with us, and we hope you’ll enjoy your stay in paradise”

“Nice one.”Reg shot back.

“Yeah, bucket of laughs” Sandra commented as she checked over her Thor’s systems. “Okay, listen up you bunch of hairy tools. Recon shows that the Word have towed a floating launch pad and moored it near the island. That’s where the Gunners’ Dropships are parked, but there’s also static defences around them which means we can’t just drop into them. We’re going to land on the north end of the beach and hit the Gunners where they’re currently stationed in the resort proper.”

“The 88th Wildcats will land on the beach proper and push towards the resort, circling around to cut off the Gunners and prevent them from getting to the ships.” She continued. “Objective is to do as much damage as possible and ensure that they don’t escape, but we want Gibbons alive”

“I’ll be riding comms to ensure just that.”Reg added. “Once I eyeball him, I’ll let you all know. Best if we can get some Battle Armour on him, but whatever works”

Pity Elezha isn't here, Sandra considered. Operational needs and all, but she'd be great for locating and capturing him.

"I'll keep eyes and ears open too," Levisha added. The response was a simple, cold, silence.

"You just do what you're told," Jake bluntly stated. "And nothing else."

"Understood" Levisha's reply was as cold and expressionless as Jake's had been angry. If she was defeated or upset or had even the slightest inkling of doing anything else, then it didn't show in the slightest.

"Just a pit we're goign to trash such a nice resort," Reg finally spoke up. "I wouldn't have minded coming here"

"You couldn't afford it, Reg," Jake shot back.

"A man can dream"

That was enough to warrant a small chuckle from Sandra, just before the all-clear signal came from the Una's bridge. "Bridge says we're clear to drop", she called out, a small timer on her heads-up display counting down. "Ready to go on my mark"

The Leopard's massive doors rumbled open, a slow whistle of wind quickly growing to a ferocious howl as the ship continued its flight towards the target area. Outside, Sandra could barely see a vast expanse of gorgeous, open blue ocean underneath a crystalline sky. "Okay, that's nice" she managed in a small voice.

"Enjoying the view?" Levisha laughed. It was the most genuinely amused Sandra had heard her sound since the whole nightmare on Lone Star.

"It’s to die for", Sandra muttered back as the counter hit zero. "Go!"

Her BattleMech stepped out into the air, joining the other three members of the lance as they fell away from the Dropship, plummeting like stones. Below she could see an island; ringed by white beaches and that same gorgeous blue water, the only disruption to its otherwise serene beauty being the blatantly artificial annex of the drop-port. And then the brilliantly clear skies lit up with fire as fighters wheeled around each other, weapons stabbing away in short, violent flashes.

And then they were down, the Thor landing with a bone-jarring thud on the once-soft sands of the beach. Other 'Mechs came down around her, kicking up clouds of sand and debris as their jets stopped their fall. As they did, she quickly took in the situation, checking her map and the surroundings. Everything lined up; the gorgeous white sands of the beach blending with immaculately manicured lawns and trees, while the gleaming white buildings of the resort could be seen clinging to the hills nearby.

Reg is right, she thought. It is almost a shame to blow it up.

"This is Black Stig to all units," she called over the command channel. "Form up on me and advance on the resort. Keep your eyes open for defences and mines; there's no telling what the Word might have done to this place" After all, we still have no idea why they're here in the first place.

The unit advanced, Battle Armour scurrying in among their larger brethren as fighters continued to wheel and dance overhead. Recon elements fanned out, probing the way ahead for their units. Within moments, Bob was calling over channel, reporting contact with enemy scouts and the first exchanges of fire. Sandra pushed forwards, knowing full well what would come next.

She didn't have long to wait as the first artillery shells came down, tearing into the landscape and flattening stands of precision-planted and tended trees. Debris and fragments rocked her forces, less damaging as they were disruptive. "Push forwards and try to close the distance!" Sandra called out. "And someone take out those spotters!"

A round of acknowledgements echoed through the command cannel, Sandra nodding before opening a new channel back to the ship. "This is Black Stig to all teams. DESERT DISK is go"

-----

Port Malibu

Elezha's portion of DESERT DISK was unusual for her; not because of what she was doing, but for the way she was doing it. Normally she plunged into these sorts of things in the field, equipped with her Kage suit to shield her and provide a means of both insertion and escape.  This time a more discrete approach was called for, one where hundreds of kilos of military hardware would be more if a liability than anything else.

Her team had ridden down in a shuttle, using the main assault to shield them before breaking off. They'd made a high speed dash over the ocean, travelling at altitudes that presented as much risk as any potential Blakist interception.  That hadn't been a concern for her. The pilot was one she'd chosen herself, a fellow Far Looker who had years of experience in the Hyades cluster. Compared to that, skimming the ocean at supersonic velocity was a walk in the park.

They'd put down outside of Port Malibu, a stretch of disused highway serving as a landing strip. Time had been of the essence, Elezha hurrying her team off the shuttle as soon as it was down, quickly unloading equipment before moving out. Theodolite Man and members of his squad had volunteered to help her in the assault, providing quick transport to the city itself.

The cross-country ride had been a rough and bumpy one, Theodolite Man's route chosen for stealth and speed over passenger comfort. The dry grasslands of the surrounding foothills had soon given way to the glitz of the resort town itself, everything manicured and trimmed to perfection, an idyllic playground for the rich that had been devoid of visitors to populate it. That didn't mean they were being any less cautious for it, the ATVs dashing through back streets and side roads, avoiding the broad thoroughfares of the main roads wherever possible.

The glamour gave way to more functional buildings, their squad entering the city's administrative district. Here the buildings were designed more for day to day functionality, but at the same time, there were plenty of concessions to vanity. Broad streets and green spaces helped break up the monotony, while many of the buildings had greenery adorning their exteriors to break up drab forms.

The Data Centre was one such building, squat and largely featureless, built to last with some success. Like much of the district (or the whole planet) it was a relic of the Star League, a building that had been constructed to last forever. So far, it was doing a good job of it.

Dismounting, her team approached the rear of the building on foot, eyes and other artificial senses open for any signs of anything amiss. So far, all seemed quiet, in keeping with the tranquil nature of the world and its populace. Mizar has been invaded twice since the fall of the Star League, she noted, both of those in the last few years. This is hardly a weary, shattered population, and they're a lot less likely to be overly cautious.

The rear service entrance didn't seem to sport anything more complicated then a combination keypad lock, something that Elezha was able to effortlessly bypass through her own systems. From there, she also fed the cameras into a loop, showing a silent, unoccupied back alley. "We're clear," she announced. "Go"

Lightweight body armour and featureless helmets lent her team a degree of anonymity and presented a frightening face to those inside the building. The first employees they met managed a few gasps of alarm before opting for a more sensible approach, quickly and quietly surrendering. One downside to a world that has been free from invasion and the fear of attack is that its people become soft, Elezha noted as she directed her team to secure their prisoners. They don't expect to be attacked, but don't know what to do when it happens.

It was so much different for me, she considered as they advanced. They made sure we were ready for the inevitable invasion by the Davions, come back to finish off what they started or whatever nonsense. It was hard to forget that air of paranoia and fear she'd grown up with, the feeling drummed into her by the Taurian government and its people that they could be invaded at any day, and that only through being ever vigilant could they protect their way of life.

That mindset had a profound effect on her, driving her to find something that offered a better alternative to living a life of fear. That was how she had found the Far Lookers, and chosen not only to take refuge in a disgraced philosophy, but to make such a great sacrifice to bring about their idea of a better future. A future free from fear, one where we would not look over our shoulders all the time, convinced that our doom was coming for us.

The more she heard about what was happening in the Concordat now, the more convinced Elezha was that she had made the right decision. Giving up her limbs had been so small a price to pay.

But that was in the past. Right now, they had a job ahead of them, one that would, hopefully destroy another group who preyed on fear and paranoia. However, it seemed that the Word had no idea what lay here or of its value, given the lack of response and security at the facility. Don't get cocky. You have enough experiences with elaborate traps and setups already. Don't assume a thing.

Great, now I'm thinking like a Taurian again, she mentally chided herself.

It wasn’t until they reached the actual core that they met any actual resistance. A single security guard, overweight and middle aged, fumbling for his stunner as the team entered the room. “Drop the weapon and pout your hands in the air!” She called out, the helmet modulating her voice enough to transform it into something unrecongiseable. Multiple rifles were levelled at him, an overkill response to his single, non-lethal weapon. “Now!”

He quickly complied, one of her team disarming and securing him as Elezha headed for the core proper. The handful of technicians on duty stood back, clearly fearful of these unknown intruders and worried as to their intent. Elezha simply ignored them, taking au pa spot at one of the workstations, analysing what was before her. Star League era solid state computer core, still running to its original spec centuries later. Truly it was an age of miracles. She was reminded of the observatory core they’d found on Kanon, one that had remained operational even after the death of the world. This should be nothing compared to that.

She quickly connected herself into the system, reams of data coming up on the screens. Centuries worth of administrivia, births, deaths, water bills, government meetings… all fantastic in its inanity and in many ways a waste of such amazing computing power. Ignoring all that for a moment, she plunged into the structure of the drive proper, searching around for something wrong or out of place.

High-level commands flew from her fingertips while her internal systems executed searches  of the data, feeding off key information she’d been provided. Reg knew what he was talking about, for once, she considered as she looked at some of the data ranges and dates involved. As was Levisha. That one soured her on any potential discovery, knowing that they had only come to this point because she ad lead them there.

When Wrylok had made his comments about their one-time commander, Elezha had done her best to remain impassive. This was not because of any desire to defend her, anything but. The truth was that she agreed entirely with his thoughts, but at the same time, she also was driven by the needs of their operation. However, the simple fact was that deep down, Levisha’s use of her and everyone else hurt immensely.

Is this why she recruited me in the first place, Elezha wondered as she continued her search, screens of information flying by at breakneck pace. She had been working towards this goal for years, and she needed someone capable of extracting the data she wanted. I was a means to an end, and everything else was secondary. She tensed a little as she worked, trying to keep her mind focused. I was her hand, much like-

Something caught her attention, cutting off her train of thought. Hidden within the depths of the file system was a large block of data, shielded through privacy protocols and heavily encrypted. The metadata on it revealed little about who or why it was there, but the date was promising. That matches to Reg’s information. Could this be DiSchmitt’s portion of HYBRID RAINBOW?

It was as good a lead as any. Cautiously Elezha began to copy the data, making sure to erase it as she went. “Ascendance lead to Black Stig,” she quietly sent. “I have located the objective. Extraction is underway”

-----

Inbound, Mizar

“So,” Rex Malik began. “Drop out of a high-speed shuttle pass onto an ancient flying city.”

“What of it?” Scott Archer shot back. The pair of them, as well as the rest of his small team, were cramped into the shuttle’s passenger section, clad in dull grey pressure suits. Most of them save for Malik and Archer were already buttoned up, their helmets covering their heads and obscuring their identities.

“Nothing, just that it’ll be kinda fun.” He grinned. “Something I’ve never done before and all that. Just wish I could take a few photos on the way down”

“Save the tourist crap for later.” Archer growled. “We’re on the clock now, and we have our objective. Get in, get to the data core, find the information we’re after and get out again.”

“And by that, you mean ‘jack the first thing we find’,”Vatour added. “Which should be fun in and of itself. The bays are probably crawling with luxury toys.”

“Get us something which offers a view.” Malik suggested. “I’m not missing out on a chance to see Mizar.”

“At least there’s one upside to this op,” Bally noted, “that sniper of theirs won’t be watching us, ready to make us into jam for crossing some imaginary line.”

“Yeah. You get the feeling she really wants to and would do it even without an excuse.”Mallik added as he checked his gun for the hundredth time. “And giggle about it too”

“I don’t know. I think she’s kind of cute. She’s probably a nice person if you get to know her.” Starling added, only to be greeted by a round of groans. “What?”

Archer simply glanced back as Mick, who offered no response at all beyond a mute, expressionless helmet. And that’s why I like you the most, he added. Because you rarely speak.

Donning his helmet, Archer ran one final systems check. All green, he noted as he glanced back over his now buttoned-up squad. Time to go to work.

Within moments they were over the target, an all-clear from the shuttle pilot also serving as a warning that he would be opening the doors. As he looked out the opening hatch into the seemingly endless beyond, Archer did have to admit that the view was rather impressive. The massive spire of the Skycity hung in the distance, like some gigantic mushroom floating in the air over the planet, while seemingly endless blue skies stretched off into the blackness of space.

That one dominating feature grew as shuttle turned, coming towards its objective, the cap of the massive structure now below them. The latest information form the shuttle fed into the displays, correcting for wind speed and direction and other variables, but everyone knew that this was always going to be a risky operation.

“On my mark.” Archer ordered as he stood in the doorway, looking down at the massive engineering marvel below, floating in the air in a way that seemed to defy all logic and reason. “Go.”

He was the first out of the ship, flinging himself into the abyss without a moment’s fear or hesitation. Instead all he had was the howl of the wind as he plummeted towards the structure. Only at the last minute did his ‘chute open, slowing him just enough to make a rough, jerky landing on the top of the dome. Within moments, the rest of his team were down, making more or less smooth (less so in Starling’s case) landings.

They clambered down into a service duct, sheltered monetarily from the harsh environment they had just thrown themselves into. “Give me a few minutes” Starling reported. “I’ll get into security and find us a way down.”

Archer nodded in reply as she went to work. This massive, dome-like section of the city was basically a gigantic balloon, the whole megastructure akin to an outsized airship more then anything else. The actual inhabited portion was largely confined to a platform that hung well below it, the two connected by both a gigantic stalk and connecting support cables. Their actual objective lay down there; however, entering from the top gave them a lot more secrecy in their approach.

"I've gotten us a way down", Starling reported. "We can abseil down the side of the main lift shaft. That should get us down to the base so we can get to the real goodies. I can't wait to have a crack at a genuine Star League relic computer" She was practically salivating at the thought

"Just don't fill your helmet up with drool" Mallik added as he pried open an access panel, allowing the team to drop down into the cavernous dome. Inside was a metal spider web of walkways, weaved intricately between the massive balloons that served to keep thousands of tons of structure aloft.

Most people would have been impressed by what they found in here. Archer didn't care. All that was on his mind was their job. "Down a level and ahead," Starling instructed.

A simple hand-wave from Archer lead the team on, Mick disappearing into the shadows to find his own way ahead while also clearing their path.They  advanced in perfect measured silence, eyes open and senses alert for anything out of place in the strange, almost alien realm inside the balloon-city. Instead there was nothing but the occasional groan of metal slowly moving with the wind. They had met no resistance along the way, no signs at all that the enemy knew they were present.

Reaching the shaft, the team secured themselves, dropping long-lines down into the depths. “Take this section by section.” He simply offered. “And keep one eye on your stats boards. If anything goes wrong, tell me.”

“Hell of a way to die.”Mallik considered. “Falling off a giant city balloon”

“Not gonna happen today.” He shot back as he leaped off the edge.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #9 on: 05 May 2014, 21:12:56 »
Vasistha Island

The initial push towards the resort had been slowed by the artillery raining down on the Badarses’ advance. The Gunners had lived up to their names, their guns letting loose a continual barrage of fire along the beach and approaches. The damage had been light, but enough to buy the Gunners some time to organise their defences and be ready.

Comparatively, they’d done far more to the landscape than anything else. What had once been a tropical paradise was now a mess of blast craters and burned stumps. And the real battle is only just starting, Sandra added.

As they closed and came under the range of the guns, the advantage had shifted to the Badarses. Longer-ranged weaponry allowed them to open up first, lasers and missiles hammering the Gunners’ forward scouts.

Sandra quickly drew a bead on a Valkyrie as the smaller ‘Mech tried to bolt back to its own lines, her lasers cutting into it as it lifted off. As one of the beams cut into its leg there was a sudden blossom of flame, the Valkyrie wobbling and tipping in the air before pitching over, crashing face-first into a stand of palms.

As it fell, a Zephyr hovertank shot past, its turret swinging around to cover it as it tried to flee. A pair of PPC bolts stung the side of the tank, seeing it swerve across the sand, black smoke belching from its wounds. “No luck on IDing the commander yet.”Reg cut in. “But I can say now that’s not him”

“Understood. Keep at it,” Sandra commented as the Valkyrie tried to rise. Another pair of large laser shots ripped into its chest, slamming the ‘Mech back down to the ground. Be smart, kid. Don’t try that again.

As the Gunners; forward elements pulled back, others pushed forwards, harrying their lines while keeping moving. Reg’s Uziel hopped across several buildings before landing behind one rather attractive bay-windowed structure. Using it as cover, he opened up again, PPC shots striking the side of a gunner Hercules as it advanced. A hail of green darts added to the assault, Levisha’s Goshawk leaping forwards to join him.

I still have my eye on you, Sandra glared for a moment at the slender ‘Mech before returning to the battle. The massive feet of her Thor crushed elaborate tiles underneath them as she pushed into the resort proper, her tac display full of threat warnings. We only faced Zandar’s ‘Mechs on Graham, she noted as her display began labelling targets. This time they get to use their full strength.

She opened fire on a Zhukov tank as it pushed forwards, her lasers carving neat lines across its turret and bow, sending rivers of molten metal dripping to the ground. The tank responded in kind, both of its cannons spitting streams of shells at her. One burst went wide, another carved armour off her flank. Bad but not fatal, Sandra considered as she sent a flight of missiles at the tank, pummelling its armour and forcing it back.

A Demon Tank rolled forwards to support its compatriot, the turret coming around to spit a single gauss slug at Sandra. The round shot by the Thor, instead pulverising a rock garden into dust and debris. In response, it was hammered with missiles and autocannon rounds, Jake’s Rampage storming forwards to push the enemy line. The Demon hastily reversed its advance, pulling back alongside the Zukhov while leaving chunks of broken armour on the ground.

“They’re consolidating,” Sandra advised. “So keep moving. Sooner or later they’ll realise that they have the numbers on their side, so we need to keep them off-balance.” Several smaller ‘Mechs slid into their flank, Bob’s Locust darting among the extravagance of the resort to pepper its bigger targets with laser fire. The Spector, now on its third MechWarrior, joined it, lasers flaring out to lash at a Rifleman as it tried to track the Locust.

I should have checked who was in that thing, Sandra grimly noted. It’s developing a reputation.

She lashed out at the Zhukov again, her lasers furrowing into one side, slicing through the tread on one side of the vehicle. The tank kicked up clods of dirt and grass as it tried to reverse on reduced power, slowly spinning as it did. The Demon was trying its best to cover it while continuing to retreat, drawing back towards the main body of the force.

For a moment, Sandra allowed herself to think that they were doing well. Then more artillery rounds struck home, one landing right in front of her Thor, sending the massive BattleMech stumbling. She felt a brief, horrible lurch as the ‘Mech tottered backwards, then fell back to the ground with a bone-jarring thud. Point-blank range artillery? She asked herself as she bought the ‘Mech upright. They’re either crazy or they’re desperate. Either can be bad.

She could see several Thor and Thumper vehicles further up in the resort proper, gathered around a courtyard and using the low walls for cover. Two BattleMechs were with them, a Catapult and a Victor. “Try to silence those guns,” she called out as she advanced again. “But be careful in case they’ve got bodyguards lurking.”

The Vic’s an odd choice, she considered. Cat’s going to be an Arrow launcher, but it doesn’t fit with the others. Unless... Another round of artillery rippled off, the Victor’s cannon in among those firing off. Rather than the traditional stream of shells or a Gauss slug, there was a burst of flames and smoke. Artillery weapon, Sandra considered as there were more nearby explosions. Not a standard fit for a Victor either.

I’m going to bet that’s the commander, she continued as she pushed open the throttle, trying to close the distance. “Get in close; they’re not going to fire artillery on their own troops unless they’re completely nuts.” A quartet of lasers savaged the Zukhov, cutting through the armour before hitting something inside the tank. Something caught within the wrecked vehicle, black smoke pouring out of it followed by fleeing crew moments later.

“Reg, check that Victor for me, will you?” She asked as the Thor advanced towards the wrecked and burning tank. “I’m wagering that it’s our boy”

“Looks like you’re on the money there,” Reg agreed. “There’s a lot of traffic going into and out of the Vic and-“

Another round of artillery fire cut off a response, shells hammering the Badarses’ advance. Grunting as she weathered the barrage, Sandra instead found herself shaken by cannon and missile fire. Quickly she responded, stomping the jump jet controls and leaping away, finding refuge behind a rocky rise for the moment. “They’re packed in solid back there!” She yelled as a Hercules opened fire, cannon rounds tearing into the outcropping and sending shards flying.

“Damn it, where’s that tool Hadrian?” She called out. Her advance was bogging down as the Gunners held their ground, putting them in a poor position. They have numbers, they have the terrain on their side, and they’ve doubtless prepared the place. This was supposed to be a coordinated attack; instead we’re facing them on our own. She twisted the Thor around a moment, opening fire on the Hercules. Lasers sliced armour off its side as its own PPC and cannon spat back in reply, chewing armour off the Thor’s shoulder.

Too much more of that and I’m through, she considered. Glancing over the tac display, she could see a similar situation; a mass of red icons representing the gunners against the scattered lines of the Badarses’ advance. We need to break this if we’re going to get anywhere.

“White Stig, Red Gem, you’re with me,” she called out. “Cut up the mountain and try to throw them.” My two least favourite people are my support. “Beefy Bob, see if you can get some people on that Victor

Several affirmatives came in reply, Sandra pushing the Thor into motion, firing the jump jets to vault up the rocky slope around the edge of the resort complex. The Goshawk and Thanatos followed her, Sandra noting that Wrylokk was keeping Levisha between the pair of them. He’s really not going to give her a moment, is he? She considered as she bought the Thor around, weapons tracking on the Hercules.

Lasers lashed the ‘Mech, causing it to stagger back a moment as Sandra’s fire ravaged its torso. Missiles and lasers from the other two followed, battering the Hercules and sending it staggering back under the assault. As it reeled, a Rifleman and Dragon Fire came forward to try and support it, only to be peppered by long-range fire from further down the beach. Sandra could see Jake pushing forwards, several others with him.

Good start, she considered. Now let’s try for the Victor.

She spared herself a glance up the hill to see what was going on, hoping for a break. For a moment there was one as al Hillah’s Phoenix Hawk leaped towards the Victor, the elusive Werewolf as its shadow. As the Hawk came down, the ground around it erupted, staggering the slender ‘Mech and leaving it reeling.

Before it could recover, more shots peppered its side as Battle Armour surged from the resort buildings, advancing on the wounded Hawk. A shot from its PPC incinerated one of them, while more fire from the Werewolf kept them at bay for the moment. The Victor came around, its cannon belching smoke and fire as it spat out another round, the shell smashing into the Werewolf’s chest. “Pull back!” Sandra called out.

They were well ready for us, and we’re still short half our force, she assessed as she kept moving, more lasers stabbing into the Hercules. The ‘Mech staggered and doubled forwards as if its belly had been slit, an illusion helped by the torrent of coolant issuing forward from it. A burst of laser darts from Levisha added to the fire, burrowing into its, damaged chest, the Hercules erupting from within as her shots cored into its reactor.

“Keep it up!” Sandra called out. “And don’t-“

The Dragon Fire cut her off, it’s Gauss Rifle sending a round straight through the Thanatos’ head.

“Damn it!” She shouted out. “Pull back, and keep to cover. And someone find out where the hell Hadrian is!”

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #10 on: 06 May 2014, 23:20:09 »
Mizar Skycity

The drop down the shaft into the city proper had been long and silent, with nothing that suggested anyone was even aware of the team's presence. In many ways it was suitable, the long slow decent through a part of the facility designed solely for functionality being the least exciting and mostly drawn out part of the operation. And if the rest of it is this dull, then I'll be happy, Archer commented to himself as he went. Of course, I know that it won't

Archer had no idea why Blackmore had chosen his team for this operation over that machine-thing, nor did he particularly care. She was his commander now, and he would follow her orders, no matter what. Levisha prepared me for this eventuality, and warned me that it might come. In many ways, this is nowhere near as bad as I thought it might be.

Maybe that's why Blackmore chose me for this assignment. We're more alike than she knows, and not just because we got screwed over by the same person.

After a silent eternity, his team reached the base of the shaft, quick checks confirming that everyone and everything had made it down in once piece. "There's a maintenance hatchway just a little bit over," Starling offered. "From there we can get into the crawlspace of the city proper, and from there we'll be able to get to the core."

"More climbing. Fun", Mallik grunted out.

Ignoring him, Archer and Mick headed over to the hatch, Starling in tow. "I'm just disabling the security systems on it now", she commented. "The system here is pretty tight, so the best I can offer is a window of partial system reboots along our way. It'll keep us clear as long as we move fast and  don't get stuck anywhere"

"I can make my own way there, sweep for defences and ensure that the target area is clear," Mick offered.

"Do. And be ready for anything down there."

Mick gave a simple nod before vanishing again into the darkness, consumed by the shadows of the technological edifice they were aboard.

“Right,” Archer nodded to Starling. “Tell us when we’re ready to go, and then we’re in. And keep us ahead of the system; if anything happens, I want to know the instant it occurs:

“Roger that.” She replied as she furiously entered commands into her noteputer. “Okay, the hatch will be disarmed in three, two, one. Clear”

He had no reason to doubt her as he reached for the hatch, releasing the locks on it. Starling had never failed him before, and he saw no reason why now would be any different. Yes, they were in a unique and unprecedented environment and yes they were operating under new management, but the people were still the same.

Galatea had not been a fair measure of what to expect. The Word had wanted them to take that building and face no opposition, which meant that they had succeeded not of their own merits but of someone else’s design. This now would be different.

Near-silent footfalls marked their entry into the hub, the nervous system of the massive floating structure. “Vantour, Bally; find us a way off here and ensure that the Word aren’t trying to seal exits”

“They have some crazy ideas about anti-theft devices.” He replied, almost giggling. “Will do.”

“Report when you have something. I’ll get Mick and Starling to get us a path back to you when we’re done.” He turned back to the others. “Rest of you are with me.”

The going was slow and arduous, narrow tunnels and crawlspaces making for limited space and room to move. Starling’s constant updates were also keeping everyone on edge, knowing that at any moment if there was a slip in her planning or a twitch in the system, they could be discovered. Where they were now meant that there would be little chance of escape. And yet, nobody in the team let those concerns be heard, instead pressing on with their characteristic silent dedication.

“You know what’s funny?” Mallik commented as they clambered down another long, narrow access way. Between his bulk and the size of his weapon, he’d been having the hardest time making his way through the structure. “We’re up here in the Skycity and we haven’t even had a glimpse of the view. I feel like I’ve wasted the trip”

“Quiet.” Archer simply replied, stopping to climb off at another platform. “This it?” He glanced at Starling as she followed behind him.

“Yes” She nodded. “The core is below. Security is offline now, and will be rebooting in a minute.” True to her word, below them was a densely-packed cave of technology, a massive computer core running its height. There were no immediate signs of life below, but that didn’t mean a thing in this line of work.

“Right.” He glanced back at Mallik. “You’re in first. I’ll follow. Starling, we’ll cover you while you go for the system” That produced a quick round of nods. “Go”

The bulky gunner swung into action first, his silent execution of orders a marked difference to the long stream of complaints that had accompanied him here. With a swift motion he latched his line to a part of the superstructure, securing himself before dropping down onto a lower catwalk, landing with a deliberately loud thud. Archer was right behind him, the pair of them quickly levelling their weapons onto the rail as they waited.

Starling dropped down behind them, vanishing in among the systems as she went to work. No sooner had she done such then alarms went off, ringing across the room. ‘What happened, Starling?” He asked. “We were supposed to be clear!”

“There might have been a separate alarm on the computer itself and isolated from the main system!” She yelled back. “I can try and lock it down and-“

“They know we’re here already!” Mallik cut her off. “Just do your job and we’ll do ours!”

The first guard to enter the room found himself dragged aside, his throat slit and body dropped as Mick emerged from the shadows. A second made it little further before catching a burst of gunfire in the chest, his body collapsing in a bloody mess. “Yeah, they know we’re here all right”

A laser burst went past Scott’s head, the team leader ducking and turning to see several more guards heading along another walkway. Starling must have set off every alarm in the place, he grimaced before shooting back. A short burst from his rifle sent round bouncing off the infrastructure, the enemy force scurrying for cover. “Just hurry it up down there!” He called out.

“Boss, what’s going on down there?” Vantour’s voice crackled in his headset. “We’ve got alarms going on all over the place.”

“We tripped an unexpected alarm.” He shot back. “How are you doing?”

“We found a way off, but there’s another problem.” Vantour explained. “Someone rigged a bomb to one of the fuel lines, and it looks like it’s active. Bally reckons it could be a part of a chain set up that could blow the whole city.”

“It’s really quite ingenious.” Another voice added in the background.

And it’d take out the thousands on board, not to mention an irreplaceable technological miracle of a bygone age. Also, it’s not our problem, he grunted as he sent another burst into a guard. But…

“Disarm that bomb.” He shot back. “And then get ready to get us out of here”

“But we-“

“Do it!” He shouted, enough to get Mallik’s attention over the roar of his weapon. “My opm I make the rules.”

And that’s why I’m here, he added. Because she wanted someone who would occasionally not take the easy way out

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #11 on: 15 May 2014, 21:28:52 »
Vasistha Island

Autocannon fragments pelted the Thor's side, setting of more alarms inside the cockpit. Armour's through there, and I'm running short on everything else, Sandra grimly assessed as she fired back, her lasers searing into the carapace of a Dragon Fire. Armour fell off it in molten rivers, but the beetle-like 'Mech remained standing. Yep, looking in need of a miracle here.

The Badarses' advance had stalled, stuck on the Gunner's well-entrenched line, facing off against an enemy with superior numbers and the high ground. The only good part of it was that the Gunners could no longer use their artillery assets for fear of hitting their own units. It was a small advantage, but one that she was going to take.

"Please tell me we're getting somewhere with Gibbons," Sandra called into her communicator as a Gauss Slug narrowly missed her 'Mech, instead skipping off the once-immaculate tilework before pulverising a resort building.

"No luck", Reg shot back. "He knows we're on to us and has been pulling back, while the area around him is crawling with mines and other goodies"

"Fantastic. Keep on him; maybe he’ll oblige us and trip over one of his own mines or something"

She twisted the Thor around, ignoring various warnings for the moment as it powered forwards, continuing her attack on the Dragon Fire. This time there was a definite result as her lasers burrowed through the damaged side, one of them striking the massive Gauss Rifle contained within. Damaged, the rifle’s delicate systems erupted in a hellish storm of electricity, violently tearing the Dragon Fire’s flank apart before the BattleMech dropped to the ground, little more then a smoking wreck.

Sandra had whole seconds to celebrate the Victory before a massive blow rocked the Thor, sending it staggering back and reeling, the cockpit a cacophony of tortured metal and warning alarms. Pushing hard against the controls, Sandra spared a glance at the status board, seeing that one of her arms was gone, taking with it half her weaponry. “Really?” She managed as the Thor stabilised, spotting a Typhoon UCV advancing, its cannon smoking as if proud of what it had done. “Is this what it’s going to be?”

She pulled back, firing her jump jets to try and vault away from the tank while looking for a good use for her remaining weaponry. One caught her eye, Gibbons’ Victor on the move while trying to evade the Uziel and Phoenix Hawk hounding it. She snapped off her own shots, a single Large Laser evaporating armour off the Victor’s massive weapon arm. Every little bit, she considered as she came down, looking around again for the Typhoon.

The squat vehicle emerged from around a collapsed building, twisting its cannon turret towards her. Instead of shooting forth another stream of shells, however, it was instead pummelled by a flight of missiles, the vehicle vanishing under a cloud of explosions and debris. What the-

Sandra chanced a look around, and was rewarded for it. A force of BattleMechs wearing a tawny, black and brown striped colour scheme were advancing up the beach, long range weapons already reaching out to savage the Gunners’ line. The Typhoon and several other units, already damaged from the battle, were pummelled with fire, pushing them back in the face of this new advance.

“Where the frel were you?” Sandra spat out over the communicator, not one hint of relief in her voice.

“Word fighters bounced our Dropships on the way in.”Jack Hadrian replied, less apologetic as he was angry. “We were scattered on the way down and needed to regroup” His Warhammer was in the middle of the charge, its PPCs sending fire into a Rifleman that had stepped forwards to cover the battered Typhoon.

“Should have let us know,” Sandra countered. “Otherwise we wouldn’t have stuck our cruets into the fire like this” She sent another pair of shots at the Victor, ripping armour free from its shoulder and chest. Moments later, PPC fire seared into its legs, causing the blocky BattleMech to stagger for a moment.

We’re getting to him, she considered as she pushed forwards. This might just work.

“Hey boss, what do we do with the latecomers?”Jake cut in, the sound of cannon fire loud in the background.

“Let them take the heavy lifting since they’re all fresh,” She replied. “Pull back and let the Wildcats press in, but don’t ease off completely. Between the damage we’ve done so far and the new arrivals, we can break them”

The Victor leaped away, putting itself behind a ridge as Sandra tried to continue her pursuit. The same Rifleman from before, wounded but still in the fight, tried to cut into her path, only to be assailed by a torrent of bright green energy darts that sliced through its side. ”Go after him,” Levisha simply stated. “I will cover you here”

“Why aren’t you going after him yourself then?” Sandra asked back.

“Because you wouldn’t trust me to actually bring him back alive.” She finished as her Goshawk leaped past, the Rifleman desperately trying to follow it.

Entirely true, she considered as she checked her display again, watching the situation before pressing the assault. The Wildcats were true to their word, their lines crashing into the Gunners and slowly, but unquestionably, forcing them back. And while the red icons of the Hound unit were still holding, she could also see a distinct change, a swinging of the numbers to their favour.

We’ve got an opening. Now to use it.

Leaving the Rifleman to Levisha’s tender mercies, she leaped forwards again, trying to close down the distance and get an eye on the Victor. For an instant she had a glimpse of the ‘Mech before it fired again, sending a shell from its massive cannon arcing up and over the ridge, back towards her. Jerking the controls to one side, Sandra was only barely able to avoid the blast, instead her ‘Mech was merely shaken rather than pummelled.

More warnings filled her ears as the Thor’s systems began tracking multiple arcing missile flights and artillery weapons coming down from the sky. “Inbound!” She called out, offering her troops only the smallest of warnings, but knowing that it was still better than nothing. “Artillery and missiles-“

The first rounds exploded in the air behind her, landing on the closely tangled front lines. There were no explosions as she’d expected, rather clouds of thick black smoke erupting and quickly enveloping the combatants. More rounds came in, missiles bursting near her Thor and blanketing it in  thick, oily black smoke that quickly covered the main viewscreen. Swearing to herself, she checked the sensors, only to find her tac display flickering.

“Smoke and noisemakers,” She called over the command channel. “Watch your footing and check fire. I don’t want anyone stumbling over a mine or shooting a friendly by mistake.” She cautiously moved the Thor forwards, not willing to jump when she couldn’t see her landing point or could come down on a mine. Especially not now that my armour is more find memories then fact.

The blocky OmniMech emerged from the smoke, Sandra glancing around to try to take in the situation. Almost as one, the ‘Mechs and tanks of the Gunners were pulling back, headed south towards the dropship pad. “They’re making a run for it!” She called out, searching in the enemy force for the Victor. “All units, get after them!”

Jake’s Rampage was one of the first to emerge, barrelling forwards with frightening speed for its size as it advanced into the resort, closing in on the nearest group of Gunner ‘Mechs. Its charge was short-lived, however, another clump of ground erupting underneath it and sending it staggering forwards. “I’m okay,” he called out. “Hit another damned mine. The place must be thick with them”

Figures. Just how much of this place is rigged anyway?

“Cut around the resort.” Sandra called out. “And get on them as soon as you can!”

-----

Mizar Skycity

Gunfire echoed through the computer core, Archer sending another burst at the security guards in the opposite doorway. Nothing seemed to hit, the rounds instead bouncing off the metal frame in a shower of sparks.

“Looks like the whole station’s after us,” Mallik added over the roar of his light machine gun before quickly ducking down, avoiding another burst of laser fire. “I guess they don’t like people messing with the vital systems that keep it aloft. Who’d have thought?”

Scott didn’t reply to that, instead glancing around the room. He had no idea where Starling had gotten to, their computer expert having apparently vanished in among the systems that made up the chamber. “Starling!” He called into his mic, trying both to be heard over the gunfire and to control his anger at the situation. “Where the hell are you?”

“I’m nearly done!” She called back, grunts puncturing her words. “Taking more time then I thought, but I got us a bonus as well”

“What?” He called out.

“I’ll show you when-“ There was a muffled shout in the background “-I’m done. Drop down to the ground floor, as I’ve got us a way out from here.”

What the hell is she playing at? He had no option but to trust her on this; after all, she was both here for the objective as well as providing their way out. This had better be worth it, or else I’m going to rip her head off.

“Don’t tell me,” Mallik smirked. “Starling had to stop to re-arrange her sock drawer” He stood again, firing another burst from his machine gun.

Ignoring the comment, he quickly switched channels. “Bally, how’s the situation up there?”

“Good and bad”, came Vantour’s reply. “Good news is that he’s making progress on the bomb. And the bad is that somebody armed it a few minutes ago, so he might not get a chance to finish the job.”

“Keep at it,” He grunted. “We’re probably not going to be out of here before it goes anyway”

“If this is Starling, I’ll gladly toss her off the place myself,” Vantour finished. “I’ll sit tight, but I’m not sure how long we have.”

Typical workday, he told himself. None of us were ever going to die of old age anyway.

He popped up again, sending off a short burst of gunfire before dropping down below the rail. The guards were playing cautious for now, but he had no doubt that they weren’t going to back down. Place like this they’re not going to take any chances, he figured. They probably don’t even know about the present that somebody left for them, the poor fools. He checked the chrono display on his helmet. We haven’t blown up yet, at least.

“I’m done” Starling sent, a definite strain in her voice. “So hurry up and get down here so I can get us out of here”

Archer nodded back to Mallik, who gave a small grunt of reply. He stepped up, letting off a long spray of machine gun fire, spreading shots across the wall and doorway in a broad arc. That was enough to send the security teams scurrying for cover, giving them their chance. Dropping lines over the catwalk, the pair of them dropped down towards the base of the chamber, a drop that was at the same time short and swift and dangerously long.

They were down in moments, free from attack but not taking any chances. Instead, they bolted for cover, crouching down behind a console. “You know, whatever it is that Starling’s found had better damn well be worth it,” Mallik growled. “Couldn’t you have hired us a less screwy nerd?”

“They only come in ’screwy’ in this line of work,” He shot back before activating his communicator. “Okay, Starling. Where the hell are you?”

“Just a little over from you on your left” She explained. “Come to me”

Mallik nodded, turning back a moment. “I’ll cover you,” he simply stated. “You go, and be ready to kick her arse for me if she’s being one”

Scott nodded, glad to let the heavy gunner have his moment to complain. Instead he advanced as another burst of gunfire filled the air, a short, frantic dash landing him behind a row of equipment shelves, the sophisticated computer equipment largely blocking any view of what was going on. I just hope they’re under orders not to shoot the computers themselves, he considered. Last thing we want is for things to get even worse.

Mallik joined him a moment later. “I’m almost out,” he stated. “Starling, where the hell are you and what the hell has gotten into your tiny brain?”

“I got us a hostage!” Starling called out, “one that I know they’re not going to fire at”

The pair of them turned as the specialist emerged, her short, rotund form partially masked by a much taller and slimmer woman that she was holding. One arm was around the woman’s neck, the second vaguely waving a laser pistol in her direction. “Check it out,” she continued, sounding inordinately proud of herself. “It’s a high-value prisoner. I caught her trying to get into the system herself; she probably triggered the alarms”

While the woman’s fine, almost aristocratic features didn’t immediately suggest much, it was her limbs that caught Archer’s eye. Dull black and obviously mechanical, they were highlighted with bright red strips that served only to make their nature more obvious. “She’s a-“ Mallik spat, his weapon levelled at the hostage.

For her part, the woman wasn’t even visibly struggling; the one eye visible while the other was concealed below a stylish sweep of ash-blonde hair looked less afraid as it was coldly studying those before her.

“Starling!” Archer called out as he kept his weapon trained on her. “Let her go, right now!”

“Why?”

“Because she’s a damned mechanical freak!” Mallik spat

“I know, but I’ve got her at gunpoint!” Starling protested. “What could she possibly do to-“

The answer came with blinding speed. The woman flicked a hand backwards, stabbing it into Starling’s gut with frightening strength and swiftness. She gave a short, sudden gasp before a second blow went to her throat, slashing it open with a sudden, crimson spray.

“Get her!” Scott called out, raising his rifle as the cyborg spun Starling’s body around, using it as a shield in much the same way she’d been used moments before. Several rounds hit her corpse before the cybog simply discarded her, taking off in a run.

“I’m out,” Rex called as he ran forward, giving Starling a cursory inspection. It was obvious that she was dead, the gunner simply collecting her noteputer. “Get after her!”

Scott didn’t need to be told twice, breaking into a run in pursuit of the fleeing Word of Blake agent. She was here for a reason; they didn’t just throw their freaky cyborgs into random places for the sake of it, and he wanted to know why. And I’d wager she’s connected to that bomb as well, she added. After the same info as we were, and covering her tracks?

“Mick, where the hell are you?” He asked, his tone demanding. “We were pinned down in there”

“Alarms. Had to fight. Where are you?”

Makes sense. I’d bust Starling over this if she wasn’t already dead.

He glanced at his HUD a moment before continuing. “I’m headed east from the core in pursuit of a lone MD. Intercept”

She was getting away from him, and he knew it. She was faster, and almost certainly running on tireless mechanical legs, boosted by whatever else was inside of her. On the other hand, he was entirely human and had been fighting and crawling his way through the city for hours. All the advantages are in her court.

But I have a few of my own.

“Got the data,” Rex messaged him. “I’ll catch you up”

Scott had slowed now, catching his breath, knowing that he was never going to be able to catch up with her. Even then, taking her down would not be a certainly by any stretch. He was low on ammunition, and she could have, well, anything hidden inside her body. After all, she’d taken out Starling with just her hands; for all he knew, she could be capable of a lot, lot more.

And those things also have a habit of exploding, he added.

Besides, he knew something she didn’t, and one of those things was about to come into play, completely changing the situation. As the Word agent ran, a figure leaped out of seemingly nowhere, swinging at her with a blade. Now it gets interesting.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #12 on: 18 May 2014, 20:31:41 »
Vasistha Island

Sandra’s force emerged from the smoke clouds in dribs and drabs, battered BattleMechs stumbling forwards as they gingerly stepped around the suspected minefield. That in and of itself was slowing their advance, and giving the Gunners more time to make it down the beach, back towards their dropships. We outnumber them, but they’re still pretty solidly packed. They hit the droppers, they can boost away to under PM protection and we lose our chance to grab Gibbons

Not going to let it happen

The Gunners were also aware of this, and using the advantages they could to keep them at bay. Artillery shells kept raining down on the beach, a mixture of conventional explosives to keep Sandra’s force back and smoke to help cover their withdrawal. That was slowing her team, preventing them from regrouping and spoiling their shots, buying the Gunners time but little else.

Extreme range weapons fire flew between the two groups between the explosions, serving mostly to churn up the sand on the beach with little actual effect. Sandra’s team kept advancing in spite of the assault, eyes on displays as they counted down the distance. No cover out here beyond the odd clump of trees. No place for them to hide this time. We get them before they get to the ships, we have them.

More fire traded back and forth, shots tearing into depleted armour on both sides of the exchange. A laser burst from Sandra sliced the arm off an Enfield, pushing the battered 'Mech back, softening their lines a moment before the inevitable counterassault.

Sandra braced for what was to come, missiles and cannon fire flying back at their lines in a savage, battering wave of destruction. Several shots struck her Thor, rocking it as they stripped back already depleted armour. Others were less lucky; a gauss rifle shot went through the Rampage's battered leg, severing it below the knee. The huge 'Mech teetered for a moment before collapsing forwards, driving itself face-first into the sand.

They're giving back better then they're getting, Sandra quickly assessed. We should outnumber them, and we should be able to finish this. What's going on?

She fired another laser shot at a battered Cestus, boiling away the armour over the BattleMech's flank. Confident that it was distracted for a moment, she spared a glance at her tactical display. What she saw was enough to make her cringe.

The Badarses were spread out across the beach, trying to push back the Gunners. However, for their advance, they were still outnumbered and isolated. The fresher and numerically superior Wildcats were still holding back, not joining in their push.

"Where the frel are you, Hadrian?" She demanded over the communicator.

"Holding the resort as per orders," he replied in a factual manner.

Of all the pedantic, by the book sons of numbats... She held back a moment before replying. "Your orders were to support us in taking down the gunners-"

"-they're in retreat-"

"-and the operation is still ongoing!" Sandra shouted back. "So you had better damn well get your miserable arses down here and support us, or I will get every damned surviving MRBC suit I can onto you. And when I'm through, your unit won't be able to get a job cleaning bedsheets in a Canopian love motel! Do you understand me?" Her anger alone made it clear that wasn't a question he had any options to answer.

Another exchange of fire filled the gap before he replied, Sandra's shots spearing into the wounded Cestus. To her annoyance, it remained in the battle but that still paled before how she felt about her alleged ally.

"Understood," Hadrian managed if a little hesitantly. "On our way"

Maybe we can salvage this. Maybe, Sandra told herself before opening up her command channel. "Hold ground for the moment," she ordered, the anger in her voice still simmering after her outburst. "And when our allies get here, then we can finish this"

He display showed the Wildcats moving out, heading to link up with her own depleted forces. At the same time, she could also see the surviving Gunners pulling further back along the beach, headed for the cover of their defences and likely the easy escape of their dropships. They have no need to keep fighting when they can simply pull back and let the Word shoulder the weight, she accepted. And that tool is letting them do it.

-----

Mizar Skycity

As she twisted and danced between swings of the sword, Eloise was quietly assessing her would-be assailant. The sneaksuit he wore entirely concealed his features, not telling her anything immediately obvious, but there were other things she could tell about him from his movements and his weapon of choice.

He was fast, there was no doubting that, and agile too. He was also experienced, well-practiced and knowing the capabilities of his weapon. Each move was designed to keep her back, using its reach to keep outside of her limbs and the weapons he knew were concealed within. In his hands, his blade became an extension of his own body, his moves fluid and lightning-fast. He held many advantages, but she also knew that there was one flaw he possessed, one that she could use.

He was human. She was better.

A blow glanced off one of her hands, Eloise reacting with unearthly swiftness, her speed and agility augmented well beyond what a human body was capable of. Her free hand slashed out at him, razor-like blades extended from the fingertips and still wet with the dead operative's blood. He moved, twisting and turning to keep away from her, trying to bring his sword back for another blow.

She ducked, her spine bending back in a way that would have looked somewhere between painful and impossible to an outside observer as the weapon passed over her face. Claws grabbed a hold of the floor, keeping her balance as she snapped forwards, again slicing at her opponent. The blow came nowhere close to connecting, but it bought her time to twist back again, her body snapping back to readiness like a fluid machine.

It was an apt comparison, given how little of her was actually human.

He swung back, Eloise again blocking the strike with her arm, another advantage she possessed that he would not normally have to consider. The blade rang off it, Eloise inching slightly forward to lash out again with her claws at her opponent, her blow more exploratory and probing then ferociously lethal. He reacted in kind, dancing out of her way with a fluid step, coming back around to strike again.

The blow came, moving with a speed that should have been frighteningly fast, but to her seemed to be sedate. As it did, she ducked, her legs folding up in unnatural ways before one of them lashed out in a way that no human bone could have allowed it to. She caught him in the ankle, her claws tearing through both the suit and the flesh underneath, coming away bloody and raw.

To his credit, the swordsman didn’t cry out in pain even as he collapsed, instead landing as best he could to shift weight off the hamstrung leg. She didn’t waste the chance either, legs extending and unfurling as she launched herself into a run, taking off in a sudden burst of speed.

I really need to thank that Adapter girl for all these wonderful gifts, she considered as she moved, weaving her way through the maze of the Skycity’s infrastructure. If only we had been able to acquire the man who made them too.

She quickly considered the idea, wondering if they could launch another operation aimed at doing just that. Just as quickly, she brushed it aside. POGATA SUNSET takes priority over everything. His will supersedes my being.

Eloise opened a maintenance hatch, clambering out into the city proper. Here the contrast was as stark as night and day; the dingy, bare metal crawl ways giving way to broad, airy corridors, light colours, soft carpets and touches of greenery. Even with alarms sounding in the background, there was a generally airy, relacing feel to the place, one that had been tailored at great expense to ensure that those who could afford the experience would savoir every moment of it.

Internal systems told her exactly where she was in the city, guiding her where to go next. She had planned for just such an eventuality when she had come here to do her duty, knowing full well that there were very few ways to get onto or off the massive platform. Moving as fast as she could, she headed upwards and outwards, travelling towards the rim of the gigantic construct.

Around her, security were trying to contain panicking guests and staff, keeping them under control and reassuring them that there was nothing wrong and that the massive construct was not about to surrender to gravity in a spectacular but inescapable death plunge. A few might have taken note of her, maybe mistaking her for a fast-moving if oddly-dressed guest, one who’s wealth could be used to explain their eccentricities. Certainly by the time they were figuring out the glowing patterns on her limbs they would be too distracted to notice the blood on her fingertips and toes.

There was a shout from behind, a man demanding that she stop. One of them must have caught up with me, she considered, a quick glance confirming her suspicion. One of the suited men was advancing down the hall behind her, weapon at the ready. He is determined, probably vengeful to. And I do not have time for this.

She deviated from her intended route, pushing into a crowded hallway, trading speed for cover as she weaved in among the press of bodies. A slender build worked with her limbs to allow her to contort her way through the mass, turning a tight squeeze of panicky, worried people shouting demands into an effective form of cover.

Even through all that, Eloise didn’t need her enhanced hearing to pick out what happened next. Her pursuer reached the hall and then the guard stationed there, trying to keep the mob at bay. She could make out demands to stand down and then shouts for backup, and then the short burst of gunfire that followed.

Immediately the packed hallway degenerated into chaos, the press of bodies becoming a tidal wave of panic and fear. Any chance her pursuer had of making it through disintegrated with the restraint and cohesion, the members of the crowd trying to escape the obvious madman who was clearly the source of the alarm. Eloise went along with it, moving with the crowd, using her augmentations where needed to steer and alter her course until she broke away.

Leaving a human stampede behind her, she headed up a stairwell towards her objective, ignoring the view outside of the skies and oceans below. Instead, Eloise weaved her way upwards, headed towards one of the upper decks of the massive facility, taking the stairs several at a time in long, loping strides. Reaching the top, she stormed into a large, airy office, its sides dominated by windows and the endless blue beyond.

A guard tried to stop her. She simply batted him aside in a display of brute strength that was at odds with her graceful frame.

This was one of the amenities provided for filthy rich risk-takers who wanted a bit of excitement in their jaded  lives, offering them something unique in among an already unique experience. “Where’s the equipment?” She asked, casually stepping over the unconscious guard.

“Th-there’s a change room through there,” a nervous clerk stammered, backing into a corner. “Everything’s there, but we’re locked down due to-“

“Unlock it.” She stated, her voice full of implied menace. The clerk wilted under her glare, nodding and hitting several commands on his console. Ignoring him, she simply stepped through the indicated doorway, sealing it behind her.

Several minutes later she emerged on the far side, a platform that jutted out of the Skycity itself, extending ever so briefly out into the blue eternity that surrounded it. A helmet on her head and a bulky pack on her back, Eloise still would have been recognisable by her distinctive limbs. She gave herself a quick check of all systems, both internal and those of the equipment she’d appropriated, ensuring that everything came up green.

Confident, she broke into a run, launching herself off the platform and into the air.

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 20 May 2014, 20:14:14 »
Skeet?

Taron Storm

• Warrant Officer
  • Founding Member of Chaos Inc Merc Brigade

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #15 on: 20 May 2014, 20:50:38 »
Penultimate chunk. Can our heroes stop the Gunners from escaping? Does Eloise enjoy free-fall? And what about that bomb?

-----

Vasistha Island

Chris Gibbons thumbed the trigger, sending the last round from his Victor’s Long Tom Cannon shooting out into the enemy lines. Moments later, the ground around a distant Warhammer erupted into smoke and flames, the ‘Mech itself bowled off its feet by the massive shell.

“Better than nothing” he told himself before sparing a glance at his status board and the grim story it was telling him. His armour was depleted with several systems coming up in an ominous red. He didn’t need reports from the other members of his unit to know that the news was similar across the board.

The good part of it was that their orderly withdrawal was working, the Gunners nearing the end of the beach despite the press of the enemy force. The second, newer and fresher force had taken over the assault, threatening to overwhelm the Gunners by sheer weight of numbers alone. Instead, it had become a running battle for them to fall back and protect themselves as best they could, holding out until they could reach their dropships and the safety they could bring them.

More smoke missiles hit the ground around them, again obscuring the enemy front line. Shots arced overhead and around him as their surviving artillery units fired off their last few shells, accompanied by the static guns around the bridge approach itself. Remote controlled from the launch facility itself, the guns were far from accurate but definitely enough to discourage pursuit.

“Full retreat!” Chris ordered, seeing an opportunity that he wasn’t going to risk passing up. He turned the Victor, replacing the steady withdrawal with a more fluid, faster-moving retreat, storming up the bridge towards the artificial island at the best speed the battered BattleMech could manage. It was risky; he felt the ‘Mech shudder as a PPC shot carved into its rear, slashing through the surviving armour and destroying one of the now empty ammo bins. Lucky shot that, he considered. Few seconds earlier, and I’d be a lot less happy.

The Victor powered along the bridge, weapons fire from friendly tanks and turrets as well as the dropships providing cover for the retreating force. The enemy were apparently reluctant to follow, both wary of coming under the dropship guns as well as any surprises that might have been left behind on the bridge. Smart guys those, he considered, but then, that second force have been rather reluctant in general.

He laughed a little at the thought. I should thank their commander if I get the chance.

The Victor reached the island proper, its feet clanking on the thick surface as it powered towards one of the dropships. The massive Fortress-class Schewerer Gustav loomed overhead, its Long Tom cannon still firing off rounds at the enemy force in the name of holding them back. Its doors were open, inviting the battered and worn BattleMechs and vehicles of the Gunners inside, offering them both shelter and an escape. Chris was not going to refuse the invitation.

Behind him the last surviving tanks crawled off the bridge, leaving it clear of units. “Blow the link!” He shouted into the command channel, making sure that there wouldn’t be a moment’s confusion that the enemy might take advantage of. Sparing himself a moment to glance back, Chris couldn’t help but smile a little as muffled explosions rippled through the structure, the bridge crumpling and then collapsing into the water.

“Pity none of them were on it,” Dave Sprouse commented over the command channel

“Agreed,” He simply replied. “Would have served them right too. They took the Old Man, least we could do is take a few of them back.”

His Victor advanced into the Gustav, lumbering towards one of the cubicles as Gibbons checked on the status of his force. “We lift off when everyone is on board, and not before,” he ordered, getting a small, if slightly reluctant affirmative from the captain. After what had happened with Zandar, he wasn’t going to take any risks to unit morale by being seen to abandon anyone.

“I want a quick hop to Nouveau Paris,” he continued. “Those arses want to take us, then they can fight their way through an entire Planetary Militia division to get it”

-----

Mizar Skycity

Battered and bruised from the riot he’d inadvertently instigated and barely escaped, Scott Archer had stopped by a massive window, not really looking at what was around him. No Idea where she went to, he admitted to himself. Damned cyborgs. Can’t stand them.

He stood, about to head off when something caught his eye; an ever so brief blur of motion as a figure dropped past the window, plummeting to the ocean below. Swearing to himself, Archer pushed on upstairs, pretty sure that he already knew who it had been that passed him. As crazy as she might be, and regardless of whatever crap she stuck in her body, I doubt that Robe can fly.

His questions were answered for him as he reached the top of the stairs, an office right in front of him. Paraglider rentals, he realised. Throw yourself off the city for fun.

The unconscious guard on the ground and the terrified-looking clerk worrying over them told him all that he needed to know. This was her escape route, probably planned well in advance should she need to get off the city in a hurry. Speaking of…

“Five, what’s the status on that damned bomb?” He asked into his communicator. “Are we dead yet?”

“Here’s the thing,” Came Bally’s gruff voice on the other end. “The damned bomb was a fake.”

“What?”

“Oh, it’s a brilliant piece of work,” he continued, more then a little admiration in his voice. “Fiendishly complicated, several different triggers, nightmare to defuse and set up to cause a chain reaction that would fatally compromise the structure of even something this big. The thing is there’s no actual explosive attached to it at all.”

Scott screwed up his eyes, internally wincing in pain. “So it was a gigantic distraction,” he assessed. “Keep everyone else busy and allow that damned cyborg the time to do whatever the hell it was she was doing. Station security would have found it or someone would have tipped them off and in the ensuring panic, she’d have all the cover she needed.”

“Guess so,” Bally finished. “Still, it’s brilliant stuff.”

“Right. You two hold fort there. We’ll be with you in a moment.” He sighed wearily, the excitement and adrenaline wearing off and replaced with a certain haggard acceptance of how badly the operation had gone. Switching channels, he checked in with the rest of the team. “Two, you there?”

“I’m here,” Mallik replied. “I’ve got Mick with me and Starling’s data.”

“Good. Meet me in the shuttle bay, and then we’re out,” He finished, glancing out the window again. Whoever you are, I owe you for Starling. Hopefully I’ll get a chance to repay the favour.

-----

Vasistha Island

“Do we have any fighters available?” Sandra shouted over her communicator. “Can we get something on those damned droppers?”

She was watching the trio of Dropships soar airborne, leaving her and her force behind, powerless to stop them. It was almost insulting to see, their targets escaping, battered but still functional. We were sent here to shut them down and capture their commander. We achieved neither.

“Nothing to spare,” a muffled, static-filled voice replied. “We’re still tied up with Robe air support. We can’t break away”

“Tool” Sandra spat, watching the dropships. “We need to-“

She cut herself off as one of them erupted into a massive ball of flame in mid-air. “What the-“ Sandra began, watching as the ship simply ceased to exist, nothing but a cloud of smoke and debris left in its wake. Just as she was trying to process this, the second ship also exploded, erupting like the first.

“What’s going on up there?” She asked, watching the surviving ship.

“No idea,” the same flight leader called back. “We were nowhere near them!”

Before she could speak again, the third ship erupted into flames, one side of it blowing out in a massive blast. The ship veered off course like a wobbly firework, before tumbling end-over-end out of the sky. Even from here, Sandra could see that the ship was doomed, locked into a death-plunge while debris and cargo spilled from its burning hulk. If they’re lucky, anyone on board died in the blast, she quickly realised, knowing that there was nothing she could do about it from here.

“What do we do?” Reg asked.

“There’s little we can do.” Levisha calmly explained. “They’re dead.”

“She’s right,” Sandra accepted. “We collect what we can and get the hell out of here before the Robes send more troops. DESERT DISK is a complete bust.”

-----

Outside Port Malibu

Elezha’s team hadn’t so much escaped from the data centre and the city as much as they’d all but casually strolled out of it. Beyond a few security guards (easily subdued and disarmed) there had been no resistance whatsoever to the operation.

She’d been expecting a trap or for it to all blow up in their faces or for a horde of Manei Domeni abominations to come blazing out of the sky and lay waste to the city. None of that had happened; instead, she and her team had been able to withdraw without incident, making their way back to their rendezvous with the shuttle.

“Well?” The pilot asked as she clambered in, taking up her position next to him. “How did it go?”

“Effortless,” Elezha simply stated. “No resistance and got what we wanted. Yourself?”

“Not a peep,” He offered as he quickly ran through the pre-flight. “Ready to go when you are”

“Good. Let’s move before we doom ourselves with being optimistic,” She finished. “I only hope the other ops went this well”

-----

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #16 on: 22 May 2014, 00:12:33 »
Last part! As always, prior chapters are available on my blog. Have fun!

-----

Dropship Una Von Rayxe
Outbound, Mizar System
15 February 3076

As soon as she was back on board the Una, Levisha had been unceremoniously confined to her bunkroom. She had her jobs as a figurehead and providing information, but she also knew that those within the unit had no reason to trust her whatsoever. As such, keeping her isolated where she couldn’t get to other, especially not newer team members who didn’t know her past, had become standard operational procedure.

She’d known some of the members of her lance for over a decade, but even then they weren’t going to give her an inch. In some ways, they were the least trusting; after all, they’d known her longer, which meant that, to their minds, she’d had more time to lie to them and use them to her own ends. Even Sandra, who shared a room with her, did so less out of any acceptance and more out of necessity and the limitations of the ship’s accommodation.

A transport ship designed to carry a BattleMech lance was designed on the premise that its members actually wanted to work together, and none of them had reasons to kill the others.

The door to her room opened, Jake stepping inside before closing it after him. The look on his face told her all she needed to know about why he was here. “Jim Wrylokk was killed down there,” Jake simply began. “Your single most vocal critic is conveniently out of the way.”

“You can’t think I had anything to do with that,” She simply replied. It wasn’t a denial, it wasn’t defensive, but a plain statement of fact.

“Of course I don’t,” Jake rumbled. “I’m not like Reg, seeing conspiracies at every step. What happened to him was random; battlefield stuff. Blaming you for it is stupid.”

She nodded. “I’m glad that-“

“I’m not done!” Jake snapped, grabbing her and pulling her off her bunk. “Jim wasn’t the king of popular, but he was right not to trust you. And just because he’s dead doesn’t mean that you’re going to be getting a break by any stretch. I’m going to make sure that everyone knows about you, about what you did, and how you used us.”

“You’re not going to get a break,” he continued. “We get any new recruits, they’ll know. You try to sink your fangs into someone, I’ll stop you. And if I get even the slightest hint that you’re doing something below board, trying to twist things or drive us somewhere, then I’ll put a stop to it. No matter what.”

She nodded, her face impassive in the face of Jake’s out and out anger. “I understand. Jake, I’m on your side. Trust me-“

It was the wrong thing for her to say, something she realised a moment later as Jake threw her back against the wall of the bunkroom. “I’m not trusting you,” He spat. “Nobody does, get it? You’re on your own, Levisha – or whatever your name is.”

“Sandra keeps you locked up, only letting you out when she needs you to give a pretty speech or drip-feed us intel,” continued. “If it were up to me, then I wouldn’t even let you do that. But I trust her judgement, and I let her do what she has to, simply because I know she hasn’t tried to screw me or anyone else over.”

“That’s what she has, Levisha,” he finished. “Trust. Never, ever try to think you have it.” He finished, leaving her behind as he shut the door.

-----

RMBU 7070, Macho Grande District
Asta
18 February 3076

Like the other Hound Leaders, Major Otto Kazman, commander of the Black Skull Legion, had long ago accepted that he’d never know the reasons why he did what he did. Rather, he simply agreed with what he was told and took the incredibly generous paycheck and salvage deals that came with it. So when his unit were told to sit on a ‘re-education’ camp that had been raided a year ago, he didn’t ask.

He especially didn’t think about the fact that two other Hound units had been destroyed during the same raid.

Regardless, he kept his men on alert and ready for anything that might happen. The Black Skull Legion was built on order and discipline, and he wasn’t one to let it slip just because they had an easy assignment. So when the first alerts went out, the Legion were ready; and as the dropships burned in from space headed straight for them, they were waiting.

Even on only a few hours’ notice, Kazman had the Legion assembled and ready to defend the camp. He had no idea what it was that was so vital to the attackers or even who they were, all he did know was that he had a job to do. Waiting in the cockpit of his Verfolger at the head of the Legion’s forces, he was ready for whatever would happen next and whatever force would dare strike at them.

“Incoming!” Somebody called out. Moments later, several aerospace fighters dived at the camp, weapons fire lashing out at the assembled members of the Legion. Return fire reached into the air, the fighters scattering and twisting to avoid it while pulling around for return strikes. He saw smoke trailing from at least one of them, but it seemed undeterred as it returned. More energy beams reached out from the fighters, scoring into both the Legion’s ‘Mechs and the prison camp around them.

“Whoever they are, they’re not worried about collateral damage” His second called out as a nearby building went up in flames. “Maybe- I got something else incoming!”

“More fighters?”Kazman asked.

“No, this is bigger. Dropship!”

Seconds later, a huge shadow passed overhead, blotting out the sun an instant before more shapes plummeted from it. “’Mechs!” Somebody called out, moments before the first of them landed. Bruno’s eyes glanced around at the newcomers, but it was one of them in particular that grabbed his attention with dramatic flair.

One moment, there was a Garm near him, fairing its autocannon after one of the fighters. The next it simply vanished in a blur of white, driven into the ground by a ‘Mech falling out of the sky, crushing it into a wreck.

The massive, blocky form of a Highlander stepped off the wreckage, looming before Kazman’s ‘Mech. Stark white, the only identifying mark was the Comstar logo on its chest. “Destroy the fanatics and their allies!” Its female pilot called out. “Leave nothing alive!”

“You hear her!” He shouted back. “They want to fight to the death? Then the Black Skulls will gladly oblige!” He pushed the Verfolger forwards, dropping his sights onto the massive Highlander, sights lined up on the ComStar ‘Mech.

-----

As the Vergolfer advanced, Kristina couldn’t help but smile, watching it try to square off with her Highlander. Even if it wasn’t her usual Serpah, the modifications to the ‘Mech, including a VDNI, had turned it into a potent weapon with which she would carry out Ogel’s orders.

Fortunately, The Black Skulls were doing exactly what she’d expected, which was only going to make her job that much easier. “Exterminate them all”, she sent to her unit through her internal link. “Mercenaries and prisoners. Leave just enough alive so that they can tell what happened here.”

A Gauss Rifle shot slammed into the Verfolger’s side, the ‘Mech staggering as it advanced before being pummelled by a flight of missiles. “Oh Bruno,” she smiled. “Just be a dear and die messily for me. Thanks!”

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 22 May 2014, 17:06:26 »
So, what are the odds that Highlander will go down to a lucky headcap? :D  That said, I am wondering why Ogel is killing off his hounds because they seem like useful assets which he could hand off to someone else within the Word to pursue other objectives.  Not only does it preserve resources for the war, but assigning them to other factions creates a diversion by default because they will be showing up in areas unrelated to Ogel's goals.

Also, I really liked the scene with Jake at the end there, it really did a good job of showing how the relationships within the unit have changed.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #18 on: 22 May 2014, 20:42:37 »
For all we know, getting rid of Hound units could be an objective in and of itself.

Or I'm messing with you. Woo

Either way, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Register