Author Topic: praise for the old house books  (Read 7416 times)

bobthecoward

• Captain
praise for the old house books
« on: 12 October 2014, 09:14:12 »
I have been rereading the old house books from the 80s. These are amazing, particularly the history section. Was there anything else in gaming at that time that outlined that much? It is a 1000 year history of over 5 different factions. I think in ways they went unmatched until recently.

Are there any accounts of their writing? I would love to have a window into that time.

Dmon

• Warrant Officer
Re: praise for the old house books
« Reply #1 on: 12 October 2014, 10:34:22 »
I would be interested in something like this as well.

Luriael

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 12 October 2014, 10:38:18 »
when I got my hands on the 25th anniversary book, I thought it would be filled with insights such as this. It's a beautiful book and most of the fluff in it is top grade but I was kind of disappointed that we didn't see more of the behind the scenes and kind of the impact battletech had on the gaming industry and stuff like that (kind of a making of?)
"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."

- Aleksandr Kerensky

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #3 on: 12 October 2014, 11:00:19 »
The people who wrong them are long gone. 

While I like them for their detail, I hate them for their detail. Or at least I hate them for their lack of consistency with regards to the detail. So many problems.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 12 October 2014, 11:08:29 »
I have been rereading the old house books from the 80s. These are amazing, particularly the history section. Was there anything else in gaming at that time that outlined that much? It is a 1000 year history of over 5 different factions. I think in ways they went unmatched until recently.

Are there any accounts of their writing? I would love to have a window into that time.

Once I asked a similar question:
<martian>: This is not exactly a question about products, but are you in contact with Jordan Weisman, Ross Babcock or any other BattleTech veteran from founding years? Are they still interested in CBT?
<Habeas2>: Martian - I, personally, am in contact with neither Jordan nor Ross (though I have met Jordan from time to time at GenCon). I imagine they have interest of some form or another with BT (in as much as anyone has interest in the places where they used to work), but how much or how little is entirely variable.

Neko_Bijin

• Lieutenant
  • Alpha Strike naïf
« Reply #5 on: 12 October 2014, 12:45:59 »
Yeah, those were great.
"Lord Kurita is merciful.  You will be spared the humiliation of a trial.  Instead, you are invited to dine with your sainted ancestors.  You don't follow?  Let me rephrase.  I am about to run you through with my sword.  Now you get the picture?  Good."

blackjack

• When you're a professional pirate ...
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 12 October 2014, 14:13:47 »
 {>{> {>{> {>{> the old house books!! Still want to see the Hatchetman 3H made by the Taurens.

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #7 on: 12 October 2014, 14:24:25 »
Hmmm... I love them. The old Star League book was totally epic.
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #8 on: 12 October 2014, 16:37:31 »
While I like them for their detail, I hate them for their detail. Or at least I hate them for their lack of consistency with regards to the detail. So many problems.

With so many stories and details in every book; as a fan, there was simple too much to take in all at once to notice many contradictions. It was simply a great way to layer the whole atmosphere to the game while giving the universe a sense of depth while it was actually kinda shallow in some parts (we don't talk about fasanomics)

Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Thatguybil

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 12 October 2014, 18:33:07 »
With so many stories and details in every book; as a fan, there was simple too much to take in all at once to notice many contradictions. It was simply a great way to layer the whole atmosphere to the game while giving the universe a sense of depth while it was actually kinda shallow in some parts (we don't talk about fasanomics)

I love the detail and could live with the contradictions when spotted.

I take that over vague low content high word count any day.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #10 on: 12 October 2014, 18:38:47 »
I have the Star League, House Steiner, and House Kurita books.  I read the Star League book...  it's incredible.  I'm glad I have the Steiner and Kurita book because of my interest in the Free Rasalhauge Republic.  I plan on reading them very soon.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #11 on: 12 October 2014, 18:46:21 »
I came to BattleTech too late (post-Tukayyid) to read them physically, but my eyes popped open upon reading the free versions that used to be here. The Handbooks are worth continuations, and also why it saddens me that things like Handbook: House Kurita were so delayed.

Neko_Bijin

• Lieutenant
  • Alpha Strike naïf
« Reply #12 on: 12 October 2014, 18:47:43 »
I agree.  Consistency isn't mostly (isn't even mainly) about corresponding facts.  The authors of the five House books, plus Star League and Periphery created a sprawling setting that made sense in toto.  The mood of the work is consistent.  That's hard to do, even for a single author within a single book.

BattleTech is pastiche.  It treats man as a tragic figure, history as a dirge that rhymes, ambition as folly, glory as madness, peace as a soap bubble in a storm.  And yet it laughs.  It's probably the only game that makes you a better person just by playing.
"Lord Kurita is merciful.  You will be spared the humiliation of a trial.  Instead, you are invited to dine with your sainted ancestors.  You don't follow?  Let me rephrase.  I am about to run you through with my sword.  Now you get the picture?  Good."

bobthecoward

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 12 October 2014, 19:23:08 »
Is there anything comparable from our hobby in the 80s? Since?

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #14 on: 12 October 2014, 19:26:12 »
The old Handbooks are awesome.  I also love the newer Handbook Series (and should purchase more of them, definitely looking forward to the new House Kurita one).  Major Periphery States is one I enjoy thoroughly.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #15 on: 12 October 2014, 19:33:24 »

BattleTech is pastiche.  It treats man as a tragic figure, history as a dirge that rhymes, ambition as folly, glory as madness, peace as a soap bubble in a storm.  And yet it laughs.  It's probably the only game that makes you a better person just by playing.

That's not only poetic, but absolutely dead-on. Well done sir!
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #16 on: 12 October 2014, 19:52:52 »
Battletech used to have more fiction and history written for it than Star Wars. And it was awesome.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.