Author Topic: Sub 2-hour Marathon  (Read 1251 times)

Sharpnel

• Colonel
Sub 2-hour Marathon
« on: 12 October 2019, 11:31:14 »
Eliud Kipchoge of Kenya just ran the Marathon in under 2hours (!:59:40) that's an average of 100m every 17 seconds. Watched the finish and he didn't even look winded.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
Re: Sub 2-hour Marathon
« Reply #1 on: 12 October 2019, 11:46:25 »
yeah, it's wild. consider that the 100m world record where usain bolt was in a full sprint is set at 9.58. it's an unbelievable accomplishment.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #2 on: 12 October 2019, 14:14:08 »
Pretty awesome that someone beat the 2 hour part.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 12 October 2019, 21:03:56 »
It was just a matter of time, though I'll admit to not expecting it quite this soon...

RunandFindOut

• Lieutenant
  • Master of the LolCat Horde
« Reply #4 on: 12 October 2019, 21:12:02 »
remember just how much help he had with it though.  Pace setters to keep him at exactly the right pace the entire time, a course specifically chosen to make it possible at a time of optimal weather for the attempt, a lead car to break the wind in front of him and shine a laser at exactly the right spot behind it to run for minimum wind resistance, and no other runners to contend with on the course for that perfect line or pace.

I could never do it even at my best years ago.  But even for one of the best distance runners in the world like himself it's a whole lot more possible when you have plenty of help to make it happen.
One does not just walk into Detroit

She ignored the dragon, and Freddy Mercury who arrived to battle it with the Power of Rock.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #5 on: 13 October 2019, 01:34:44 »
Okay, he got to draft off a car?  Yeah that does make it way easier . . . still a insane pace as someone who always hated doing the 2 mile run- only fun I ever had doing it was b/c I knew I sped up on the 2nd mile, and I passed at a time the 18 year olds would fail, was telling people I passed they were going to fail the run.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #6 on: 13 October 2019, 05:29:24 »
I'm wondering if the drafting off the car will make it "unofficial".  If nothing else, I'm sure an Olympic marathoner will get there sometime in the next few decades.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #7 on: 13 October 2019, 06:57:53 »
Don't they castrat their potential runners so they will run faster?  Horrible ways get efficiency out their runners. NPR had story on that. Their suppose to stop doing it, but i don't know...
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #8 on: 13 October 2019, 07:13:45 »
That's not what that article says...

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: 13 October 2019, 11:48:01 »
It was never going to be an official record - but it was to show it could be done.

it was very controlled situation. Optimal weather, car with laser markings for all the "windscreen runners" to ensure he got less wind resistance and paced optimally.

but he still ran the marathon at the pace. All of the conditions can be replicated in a race, technically. But not an official record, no.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #10 on: 13 October 2019, 12:55:54 »
we should do the same thing with professionals:

"I've engineered a better way to filter contaminants from water!"
"you didn't use a slide rule"
"what?"
"and the computer did most of the work"

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #11 on: 13 October 2019, 14:18:42 »
Its a bit different than that . . . for instance, in swimming they used to allow the 'sharkskin' suit but after records were smashed b/c the tech did so much for the swimmers the world body banned it.  Personally still not sure of that for championship level action where you get sponsors rather than community pool meets.

Just like in the pool, having other people and cars to cut down on wind effects and even air resistance is not something every competitor can do- its interesting to see what can be achieved but records like that are human endeavors where the challenge is getting yourself to that point.  Very different from designing a filter and speeding the process up by letting a computer do the calculations.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #12 on: 13 October 2019, 14:51:05 »
Picking nits. No one is calling this a world record

Why can’t we just acknowledge a 17s 100m time is beyond ridiculous under any conditions?

« Last Edit: 13 October 2019, 14:52:50 by Sartris »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #13 on: 13 October 2019, 15:34:55 »
The four-minute mile was achieved in 1954.  I'm confident we'll have an "official" marathon record under two hours in not too many more years.  And I'm just as confident it'll be a Kenyan (if not Eliud Kipchoge himself).

17 seconds is closer to the 200m time (WR is just over 19 seconds... Usain Bolt in 2009).  What's ridiculous is Bolt's 100m record under 10 seconds.... from a standing start.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #14 on: 13 October 2019, 18:04:39 »
Don't they castrat their potential runners so they will run faster?  Horrible ways get efficiency out their runners. NPR had story on that. Their suppose to stop doing it, but i don't know...

That's circumcision, not castration.  Very different operation and as the article itself says, not necessary.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Register